Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Updating principles is very tricky and hard. Sometimes you shuld stick to them or trust your gut.
    Law of selfpreservation says you should question those who claim that they have only your best interests at their heart.

If also says you should take precaution against a poorly understood existential threat.

I do question them, hence why I am my own expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Updating principles is very tricky and hard. Sometimes you shuld stick to them or trust your gut.
    Law of selfpreservation says you should question those who claim that they have only your best interests at their heart.

I tried that here by responding to your post about the Russian vaccine but didn't get much a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Yes: surgical
    washman3 wrote: »
    680 people less have died in Ireland so far in 2020 than died in the same period in 2019.
    Any explanation for this.?

I think you might have misinterpreted that figure wrong.

I believe what you might be referring to is that the number of excess deaths for the year so far is less than the reported COVID-19-related deaths over the same period. 1,709 people had died from Covid 19 by July, but there were only about 1,100 to 1,200 more deaths than we would have expected based on historical patterns.

I presume the cause of this discrepancy is from elderly / terminally sick people who died from Covid 19, but still would have passed away from other causes had they not caught it.

3wayswitch wrote: »
    I think you might have misinterpreted that figure wrong.

I believe what you might be referring to is that the number of excess deaths for the year so far is less than the reported COVID-19-related deaths over the same period. 1,709 people had died from Covid 19 by July, but there were only about 1,100 to 1,200 more deaths than we would have expected based on historical patterns.

I presume the cause of this discrepancy is from elderly / terminally sick people who died from Covid 19, but still would have passed away from other causes had they not caught it.

Multifactorial problem

It is known that deaths go down during recessions/depressions and this was the same. Fewer traffic and work accidents and so on.

So there are two sides to that see-saw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    saneman wrote: »
    Oh i'm thinking about.. i don't think i could give you my true answer tho as i'd prefer not to be threadbanned.

How about this one:

If places are pushing through cashless payments (been around for quite a few years now, mind) why do people not want to wear masks?

Equally baffling enough?

I'm not against cashless payments as an addtional convenient option for people but not as a replacement for cash. Why are places using covid 1984 as a guise to encourage people to use contactless payments and in some cases point blank refusing cash.

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm not against cashless payments as an addtional convenient option for people but not as a replacement for cash. Why are places using covid 1984 as a guise to encourage people to use contactless payments and in some cases point blank refusing cash.

You know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

john4321 wrote: »
    I tried that here by responding to your post about the Russian vaccine but didn't get much a reply.

You did. In the last part of what you quoted.
    To put it another way - corona viruses vaccines are pretty much pointless. Antibodies do not tend to be useful for any meaningful time. Focusing on treatment is what will serve us much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

I already gave you my answer but we are still waiting for yours.

You did. In the last part of what you quoted.
    To put it another way - corona viruses vaccines are pretty much pointless. Antibodies do not tend to be useful for any meaningful time. Focusing on treatment is what will serve us much better.

Well to be fair I made no real comment at all. I just pointed out the Russian vaccine you praised is what appears to me only going into phase 3 trials tomorrow.

"The Oxford vaccine entered phase 3 trials in July.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...an-trials.aspx"

How you took from that:

"In the last part of what you quoted.
    To put it another way - corona viruses vaccines are pretty much pointless. Antibodies do not tend to be useful for any meaningful time."

There is twisting words and just clearly making up lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No: other
    Answer me this question? If covid is transmitted through coughing, sneezing and even speaking why are places pushing cashless payments? Please think about it

Cashless means the staff member doesn’t need to touch or interact with cash, cash can carry the virus. Ring up total, you put in your card, pin enter, transaction complete... less talking, jabbering too. Can have an electronic “please enter your pin” as I’ve witnessed.

• Advertisement

I would answer that it`s to reduce the risk of transmitting the virus by not handling potentially infected notes and coins but no doubt Mulder and Scully and yourself have diferent reasons.

But the disease is not transmitted through surfaces. It's transmitted through soughing and sneesing according to most pro maskers

But the disease is not transmitted through money

You are right, it is inside the money, watching you.

But the disease is not transmitted through money

Says who?

Says who?

Did you not read the latest missive from Professor Cahill?

i_surge wrote: »
    Did you not read the latest missive from Professor Cahill?

No nor do I intend to.

Strumms wrote: »
    Cashless means the staff member doesn’t need to touch or interact with cash, cash can carry the virus. Ring up total, you put in your card, pin enter, transaction complete... less talking, jabbering too. Can have an electronic “please enter your pin” as I’ve witnessed.

The real reason most shops are doing it is to reduce cash handling costs but use covid 1984 as a convenient excuse as card payments do not require floats, staff to count the days takings, safes to store them in and G4S vans to come and collect. Why can't they just be open and honest.

Also shops can install a system where staff don't physically handle cash just put money in a slot and it spits out your change my local Circle K petrol station has it.

No nor do I intend to.

Ah John, full of fun facts and new ways to be safe.

You can snort the bleach if you happen to have interacted with someone wearing a mask. We know they only make your more likely to infect yourself.

Also you know you can infect yourself now, auto covid 1984 they are calling it, it is a new strain of it but the most dominant. Best protection is internet trolling.

The real reason most shops are doing it is to reduce cash handling costs but use covid 1984 as a convenient excuse as card payments do not require floats, staff to count the days takings, safes to store them in and G4S vans to come and collect. Why can't they just be open and honest.

They keep the safes closed because some people aren't honest enough. Such a shame.

Ah John, full of fun facts and new ways to be safe.

You can snort the bleach if you happen to have interacted with someone wearing a mask. We know they only make your more likely to infect yourself.

Also you know you can infect yourself now, auto covid 1984 they are calling it, it is a new strain of it but the most dominant. Best protection is internet trolling.

Just noticed the 1984 connection as I got a similar reply last night from another poster when I questioned the remark that we live in a police state.
    Read 1984

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Well to be fair I made no real comment at all. I just pointed out the Russian vaccine you praised is what appears to me only going into phase 3 trials tomorrow.

"The Oxford vaccine entered phase 3 trials in July.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...an-trials.aspx"

How you took from that:

"In the last part of what you quoted.
    To put it another way - corona viruses vaccines are pretty much pointless. Antibodies do not tend to be useful for any meaningful time."

How about we stop and take a breath here? Let us go back and read again what we said?

I did not react on your post as I did not want to keep discussing vaccines in masks thread as I said at the end of my post.
    You were looking for answer to your post comparing some vaccines and when I said that it is "In the last part of what you quoted" I simply meant my post which you quoted - to which you originally reacted which was:
    "There will be vaccine, quite a few of them actually due to huge demand for it. Effectiveness will vary as it is the case with most of modern vaccines but I would not put my faith in this direction too much. Corona viruses vaccines are complicated to start with and viruses are mutating as they go and if flu vaccines are any indication - it is a hit and miss, with more of a miss mostly.
    Since disease is mostly a mild one if symptoms even develop I would focus more on the looking for a treatment."

So the answer to your comparison is that I think treatment is a way to go and not trying to figure out which vaccine may be better.
    There is twisting words and just clearly making up lies.

What twisting words? What lies?

Perhaps this is why I did not react to your post. People see Russia and stop reading but look for a fight.

• Advertisement

How about we stop and take a breath here? Let us go back and read again what we said?

I did not react on your post as I did not want to keep discussing vaccines in masks thread as I said at the end of my post.
    You were looking for answer to your post comparing some vaccines and when I said that it is "In the last part of what you quoted" I simply meant my post which you quoted - to which you originally reacted which was:
    "There will be vaccine, quite a few of them actually due to huge demand for it. Effectiveness will vary as it is the case with most of modern vaccines but I would not put my faith in this direction too much. Corona viruses vaccines are complicated to start with and viruses are mutating as they go and if flu vaccines are any indication - it is a hit and miss, with more of a miss mostly.
    Since disease is mostly a mild one if symptoms even develop I would focus more on the looking for a treatment."

So the answer to your comparison is that I think treatment is a way to go and not trying to figure out which one may be better.

What twisting words? What lies?

Perhaps this is why I did not react to your post. People see Russia and stop reading but look for a fight.

This is fairly straightforward, your original post started with:

"There is a vaccine out there but it was dismissed as "rushed, not tested, not reliable" just to name a few characteristics - with the most important - that it is not good because it is Russian."

I simply replied with the status of the Russian vaccine which has only has around 200 trials so far and hopefully going to phase 3 mass trials of 40000 today providing links to back that up.

I made no claims. I didn't attack your original post I just replied with facts.

Also on your last piece if Russia produced a proven and safe vaccine I would be one of the first in line to take it.

The virus and cure\treatments\prevention are not political but some people for whatever reason think it is.

We are all on the same page here, everyone wants this to go back to normal tomorrow but it's important to question news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Yes: valved
    Ridiculous. A man on his own working on a car in his driveway alone wearing a mask.

Jesus wept.

Far from it, the fact that you are interacting with it and discussing it displays how effective it is an advertisement.

If you weren't so rudely sarcastic I would have continued the conversation you were warming up to have.

Talk to the mask cause the face ain't listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

ShineOn7 wrote: »

And yet we were told of no particular increase in numbers around the world after the BLM protests held just about everywhere. Strange, no?

There was an obvious higher wear rate of masks at the South Korean event than the BLM protests.

Edit to add; I did quote all of your post but only the Dublin anti-mask event got quoted.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Why are people so worried about cash when whoever is in a shop is handling your product anyways?

If I go to a chipper they grab the top of the bag and then I grab it.

Same in a supermarket, they touch every single product.

So guy ahead of me takes things out of his trolley, leaves them on the belt, cashier touches the same product. Then person ahead of me touches it again.

Then I put my products on and then cashier touches the product and then I touch them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I would answer that it`s to reduce the risk of transmitting the virus by not handling potentially infected notes and coins but no doubt Mulder and Scully and yourself have diferent reasons.

If handling stuff transmits it so contagiously that we can’t use cash, how come if I’ve a trolley load of stuff. I touch it to put it on the belt, the cashier touches it to scan it and I pack it. Why haven’t we all been pushed to self scan?? Bit of a contradiction there. I can’t touch your cash, it might be infected, but I’ll touch every single piece of shopping you’ve bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Multifactorial problem

It is known that deaths go down during recessions/depressions and this was the same. Fewer traffic and work accidents and so on.

So there are two sides to that see-saw.

17% increase in fatal crashes and 9% increase in road deaths in 2020. Fecking facts!!

46 workplace deaths in 2019. So that doesn’t make up the shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yes: valved
    Amazing how many people can overthink one simple measure. Can't wait to see who's gonna start Washing hands thread and throw in all kind of conspiracy theories and philosophical questions around that simple task :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Amazing how many people can overthink one simple measure. Can't wait to see who's gonna start Washing hands thread and throw in all kind of conspiracy theories and philosophical questions around that simple task :D

All the arguments raised against masks have been shot to bits.
    Now they are trying some sort of flanking move to raise a new set of questions to challenge the experts about cash and handling surfaces...
    Remember the arguments against masks started out with surfaces being so high risk masks made things more dangerous.
    Now the narrative shifts to there being no risk to touching things.
    Which makes one wonder how the virus is supposed to spread it all...

Whereas in reality, you can get infected by touching surfaces and then touching a mucous membrane - mouth, nose, eyes etc.
    But this is more difficult way to get infected than just breathing in droplets.
    You can sanitise your hands, sanitise objects, discipline yourself not to touch area vulnerable to infection with contaminated hands.

You can't sanitise your lungs after you have inhaled infected droplets.
    That's where masks and ventilation and distancing come in to prevent you from inhaling droplets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Tbh if there is a vaccine within the next year or so I will be highly suspect. Vaccines take a long time to develop. It will make me think that this came from a lab and released as a targeted bio weapon and the vaccine is to be realeased as part of a problem reaction solution.

Problem= Covid 1984
    Reaction= lockdowns, masks, social distancing, fear, tensions and unrest
    Solution= Mass vacination, cashless society and surveillance

Thats not what 1984 was about at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I'm seeing a lot of people wearing a different type of visor. These ones barely go down to the mouth, so if the wearer raises his chin slightly basically the whole face is exposed.

Why the f#$% are the goverment even allowing these things? They offer little to none protection and give a false sense of security.

We are so behind in this country on covid preventive measures its embarrassing. Embarrassing and dangerous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement