Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

patnor1011 wrote: »
    There is a vaccine out there but it was dismissed as "rushed, not tested, not reliable" just to name a few characteristics - with the most important - that it is not good because it is Russian.
    I do not know but they do have a head start on this so when other vaccines will start to roll out eventually then still Russian one may be more tempting as it is "being tested" right now while others are still on paper only.
    There will be vaccine, quite a few of them actually due to huge demand for it. Effectiveness will vary as it is the case with most of modern vaccines but I would not put my faith in this direction too much. Corona viruses vaccines are complicated to start with and viruses are mutating as they go and if flu vaccines are any indication - it is a hit and miss, with more of a miss mostly.
    Since disease is mostly a mild one if symptoms even develop I would focus more on the looking for a treatment.
    But there is dedicated thread for vaccines and this one deal with masks so let us move on from this topic.

I presume you are talking about this vaccine:

https://sputnikvaccine.com/about-vaccine/clinical-trials/

"Post-registration clinical trials involving more than 40,000 people in Russia will be launched on a week starting from August, 24"

Phase 3 trials seem to be starting tomorrow.

The Oxford vaccine entered phase 3 trials in July.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200705/Oxford-COVID-19-vaccine-trials-move-to-stage-3-human-trials.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Yeah like we learned to live with spanish flu.
    After it killed every person it could.

I wouldve hoped both we as a civilisation, AND science has advanced enough that we have control this time.

All science needs is time.. Masking and slowing the spread gives us that time.

Flu, ebola, zika... Yes we learned how to live with it and covid is no different. In fact it is quite easier as in the most of the people it does not even develop into anything serious. It is considered as mild disease according to quite a lot of doctors.
    People are not humble and put a lot of faith in "advance, god or science" to the point that they think they can have a control.
    This current situation show that no, we do not have control. We hope and imagine a lot of things but reality is different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

There is a vaccine out there but it was dismissed as "rushed, not tested, not reliable" just to name a few characteristics - with the most important - that it is not good because it is Russian.
    I do not know but they do have a head start on this so when other vaccines will start to roll out eventually then still Russian one may be more tempting as it is "being tested" right now while others are still on paper only.
    There will be vaccine, quite a few of them actually due to huge demand for it. Effectiveness will vary as it is the case with most of modern vaccines but I would not put my faith in this direction too much. Corona viruses vaccines are complicated to start with and viruses are mutating as they go and if flu vaccines are any indication - it is a hit and miss, with more of a miss mostly.
    Since disease is mostly a mild one if symptoms even develop I would focus more on the looking for a treatment.
    But there is dedicated thread for vaccines and this one deal with masks so let us move on from this topic.

Tbh if there is a vaccine within the next year or so I will be highly suspect. Vaccines take a long time to develop. It will make me think that this came from a lab and released as a targeted bio weapon and the vaccine is to be realeased as part of a problem reaction solution.

Problem= Covid 1984
    Reaction= lockdowns, masks, social distancing, fear, tensions and unrest
    Solution= Mass vacination, cashless society and surveillance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Yes: surgical
    GT89 wrote: »
    Exactly but let's constantly shift the goalposts to fulfil our agenda. Another thing I would like to point is the hypocrisy of the selective outrage of people without masks who are apparently killing grannies but not 6,666 of the most precious form of human life that were mudered last year.

As someone who has stated that he doesn`t care about the vulnerable why are you now suddenly crying crocodile tears about the foetuses that wee aborted? And ironic that you should mention shifting the goalposts when that is exactly what you are doing.

As someone who has stated that he doesn`t care about the vulnerable why are you now suddenly crying crocodile tears about the foetuses that wee aborted? And ironic that you should mention shifting the goalposts when that is exactly what you are doing.

Do you not care about the babies that were mudered?

• Advertisement

Tbh if there is a vaccine within the next year or so I will be highly suspect. Vaccines take a long time to develop. It will make me think that this came from a lab and released as a targeted bio weapon and the vaccine is to be realeased as part of a problem reaction solution.

Problem= Covid 1984

For someone who doesn`t want to wear a mask you certainly appear to have no issues with wearing a tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Also people keep saying it's not just the flu but it seems they downplay the severity of the flu. The flu is not just the sniffles the flu kills people especially the elderly and vulnerable but how come I wasn't a selfish prick last winter for not wearing a mask or why wasn't there a lockdown for flu season.

1). There are vaccines available for the flu. This gives people the ability to protect themselves and not require you to protect them.

2). As of December 2019 there were 22 flu related deaths in Ireland reported for the 2019/2020 flu season. Covid 19 has killed 1,777 people so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Problem= Covid 1984

Jaysus, i don't know what youtube rabbit hole you've found yourself in but I can only guess from phrases like "targeted bioweapon" & "Covid 1984" that it's a deep one.

We'll drop you down a lifeline if you need it, just shout. We know we'll hear you cos of course you won't be wearing a mask...

Do you not care about the babies that were mudered?

Yes but frankly I don`t believe that you do.`

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

I know not one who got covid 1984 but that was worthy of universal mask wearing and lockdowns.

Did it ever cross your mind that the first and second parts of your sentence might have a link?

That 1984 stuff is pure paranoia. I am against all forms of government interference in private lives too but this is not it.

• Advertisement

i_surge wrote: »
    Did it ever cross your mind that the first and second parts of your sentence might have a link?

That 1984 stuff is pure paranoia. I am against all forms of government interference in private lives too but this is not it.

Don't waste your time this is the news source of choice for the poster not big bad "msm"

Anyone who listens to Professor Delores Cahill a woman who is an expert in the fields of mediciene and immunology is considered conspiracy theorist it seems there is an agenda at play when expsrts aren't listened to and the only experts being heard on the msm are saying the same thing.

saneman wrote: »
    Jaysus, i don't know what youtube rabbit hole you've found yourself in but I can only guess from phrases like "targeted bioweapon" & "Covid 1984" that it's a deep one.

We'll drop you down a lifeline if you need it, just shout. We know we'll hear you cos of course you won't be wearing a mask...

Answer me this question? If covid is transmitted through coughing, sneezing and even speaking why are places pushing cashless payments? Please think about it

Ah sure it is great fun, we can all just decide on our favourite experts and our favourite facts.

Answer me this question? If covid is transmitted through coughing, sneezing and even speaking why are places pushing cashless payments? Please think about it

Hmmmm What do you think yourself?

Ah sure it is great fun, we can all just decide on our favourite experts and our favourite facts.

I listen to people who I feel make sense and Delores Cahill is one of those for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

3wayswitch wrote: »
    1). There are vaccines available for the flu. This gives people the ability to protect themselves and not require you to protect them.

2). As of December 2019 there were 22 flu related deaths in Ireland reported for the 2019/2020 flu season. Covid 19 has killed 1,777 people so far this year.

680 people less have died in Ireland so far in 2020 than died in the same period in 2019.
    Any explanation for this.?

I listen to people who I feel make sense and Delores Cahill is one of those for me

Yeah yeah exactly and I chose the ones that make sense to me and then we can both coexist in this happy magical world where we are both completely right. Reality is just a perception of the mind and we can chose our own. Fantastic.

Yeah yeah exactly and I chose the ones that make sense to me and then we can both coexist in this happy magical world where we are both completely right. Reality is just a perception of the mind and we can chose our own. Fantastic.

Exactly now we should be allowed choose whether to wear a mask or not

washman3 wrote: »
    680 people less have died in Ireland so far in 2020 than died in the same period in 2019.
    Any explanation for this.?

What are we talking. Deaths from all causes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Is 'professor' Luke O'Neill your favourite expert by any chance....???

• Advertisement

Exactly now we should be allowed choose whether to wear a mask or not

Yeah work away, have fun.

People mightn't want you in their shop but we all make our choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

No: I don't care enough
    Hmmmm What do you think yourself?

Just to save GT the bother of replying:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ9sXm4LLQla-IXenbS0xLNgS1aTaGAaR21lw&usqp=CAU

washman3 wrote: »
    Is 'professor' Luke O'Neill your favourite expert by any chance....???

You show me yours and I will show you mine

I would answer that it`s to reduce the risk of transmitting the virus by not handling potentially infected notes and coins but no doubt Mulder and Scully and yourself have diferent reasons.

Isnt it exactly what we all do? Like always?

I would answer that it`s to reduce the risk of transmitting the virus by not handling potentially infected notes and coins but no doubt Mulder and Scully and yourself have diferent reasons.

But but but John it is only transmitted through the air.

Isnt it exactly what we all do? Like always?

I'm my own expert, do the research from all angles, read the studies, get the consensus, fact check, repeat and then work from basic principles.

I keep an eye out for new information and love to find where I am wrong so I can update those principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Oh i'm thinking about.. i don't think i could give you my true answer tho as i'd prefer not to be threadbanned.

How about this one:

If places are pushing through cashless payments (been around for quite a few years now, mind) why do people not want to wear masks?

Equally baffling enough?

Hopefully after reading the below you might reconsider if you are listening to the correct person.

https://collegetribune.ie/ucd-doctor-makes-numerous-false-claims-about-covid-19/

"Cahill also claims that wearing face masks can lead to hypoxia which weakens the immune response. In other words, she is saying that the decreased amount of oxygen you inhale makes you less able to fight off the virus. Again, this has been thoroughly debunked. The use of masks does not result in hypoxia in healthy people, nor does it weaken the immune response. It is recommended that masks are not used on children under 2 with respiratory problems, but that is it. "

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ucd-professor-asked-to-resign-from-eu-committee-over-covid-19-claims-1.4277698

"Ms Cahill also supported the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat Covid-19, one that has been supported, too, by US president Donald Trump. The drug, she said, is “safe and effective” in treating the disease."

• Advertisement

I'm my own expert, do the research from all angles, read the studies, get the consensus, fact check, repeat and then work from basic principles.

I keep an eye out for new information and love to find where I am wrong so I can update those principles.

Updating principles is very tricky and hard. Sometimes you shuld stick to them or trust your gut.
    Law of selfpreservation says you should question those who claim that they have only your best interests at their heart.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement