Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I think when people see close to 1000 people die per day as we see in Italy and Spain it might re-focus their thoughts.

That's another positive aspect of testing as much as possible, when we see a couple of hundred positive tests per day people might think sure we're grand , nothing to worry about, when in fact the true number is probably closer to 10 times that ammount.

Are you talking about deaths in Ireland hitting 1000 a day? Not a hope. So much fear mongering on here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

bmcc10 wrote: »
    There has been a huge shift here past few days. Coincidently it's all after the cancellation of the Olympics.

Were they trying to underplay the situation there so the Olympics would go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How many test are they doing at the moment do you know?

Doesn't the test capacity limit of 1500 get mentioned about every 4 pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,690 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I never understood the need to drag him around to every media commitment apart from the daily briefing. The man has enough on his plate as it is.
    I think it because a certain cohort of people will not listen to Leo and Simon, as they are the government and not the expert. By having a independent expert - more people may listen.

He talks very clearly and is excellent in what he does, but i do feel there is no need for him to be at every briefing.

Dr.Tony Holohan is in hospital for tests after feeling unwell although it is being stated that it is not thought to be directly related to the virus.

I hope he feels better soon.

• Advertisement

Why do you think this is ? Incompetence or something else?
    Could it be the advice from their pr people is to be debliberately vague about whether it is the current total or the total from the start of the outbreak?

I don't think it's incompetence its definitely intentional. I also dont think the HSE are vague they have been consistent in all their reports, its journalists etc and even doctors who are saying they are current (quoting the hse accumulated figure).

I dont know why, possibly to make things look worse than they are to keep people on track with the measures in place thats pure speculation though. They may have reasons we are not aware of.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Are you talking about deaths in Ireland hitting 1000 a day? Not a hope. So much fear mongering on here :rolleyes:

Not a hope because of the measures we have put in place? or just not have a hope.

What's the highest death recorded per day we'll get to do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A bit off topic but relevant..

The current crisis will promote a move to a universalbasic payment. Millions are now looking for state money who would never have thought it possible a few weeks ago. If such a payment system was already in place this would not be necessary and social welfare systems would not be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

cnocbui wrote: »

At the moment yes, but the rate is growing exponentially. By the end of the week, it will be mentioned approximately every 2 pages, and by the middle of the month every post in the thread will be referring to the test capacity.

• Advertisement

I don’t know how anyone in Ireland can smoke these days with the price of the fcukers.14 euro for 20 smokes.70 fcukin cent a piece.
    That’s an expensive hobby and the same ones complaining they have no money then.
    God be with the days when you got your 10 fageens for 2 pound or even before it a single and a match for 10pence

They should be at least €100 a box now. Especially considering there is an alternative and some people will argue with the next bit I'm going to write. There is a better alternative - vaping.

This crisis could be used to wipe out cigarettes entirely from the population so long as they don't target them little vape juice bottles of 10ml the same way as cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

saabsaab wrote: »
    A bit off topic but relevant..

The current crisis will promote a move to a universalbasic payment. Millions are now looking for state money who would never have thought it possible a few weeks ago. If such a payment system was already in place this would not be necessary and social welfare systems would not be needed.

It could even be used as a test period for UBI. Since it is basically happening anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,590 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ace2007 wrote:
    I think it because a certain cohort of people will not listen to Leo and Simon, as they are the government and not the expert. By having a independent expert - more people may listen.
    It's no surprise that people wouldn't listen to those two clowns.
    They are responsible for things being as bad as they are here. We knew before this virus arrived on our doorstep just how bad it was but instead of getting ahead of the curve and shutting everything down they just did nothing.
    I'm not alone amongst ordinary who started taking precautions and locked ourselves down over four weeks ago. Those idiots only brought it to a serious level five days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

When all this blows over I could definitely see the need for something like a human NCT being needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Pheonix10 wrote: »

The average death rate in Ireland in ‘normal’ times is between 80 and 90 per day depending on the time of year. I think some people are under the impression that if it wasn’t for Covid there would hardly be any deaths at all.
    To put it in context, if we were unfortunate enough to reach the level they have in Italy, we would have about 40 per day from Covid. Hopefully that won’t happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

owlbethere wrote: »
    Were they trying to underplay the situation there so the Olympics would go ahead.

Undoubtedly they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

wadacrack wrote: »

What is sad is using his death to have a cheap dig at Leo and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Denmark - 232 new cases, 14 deaths
    Norway - 64 new cases, 2 deaths (so far)
    Sweden - 512 new cases, 59 deaths

Imagine being the Swedish PM right now as it begins to dawn on you that you've condemned countless thousands of your countrymen to death with idiotic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gynoid wrote: »
    It could even be used as a test period for UBI. Since it is basically happening anyway.

UBI will probably mean the dismantling of the normal welfare state and in the end wouldn't be a good idea as UBI will end up not being able to cover living costs in the long run. Especially in healthcare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

lbj666 wrote: »
    Lest no forget he was on the late late with tubs Friday before last, he's been bouncing around so much it wouldn't shock me.

:eek::eek:He can't be sick, we need Tony !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dr.Tony Holohan is in hospital for tests after feeling unwell although it is being stated that it is not thought to be directly related to the virus.

Wouldn't be surprised if its stress related. He must be under a huge strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

owlbethere wrote: »
    When all this blows over I could definitely see the need for something like a human NCT being needed.

Like an annual check up with your Doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

cnocbui wrote: »

The poster seems to have been able to have a rough idea of the amount of total test done a day or two before the figures were announced, although they were out by about 3000 so I was wondering if they had some insight that we don't have. The 1500 mentioned at the press conference is slightly confusing as the official numbers released by the HSE say that an average per day for the last week is 1745.

I think you should look at the official figures rather than mindlessly believe what is written every four pages, weren't we putting 5000 test through the labs every day according to some poster here and anyone who suggest otherwise was trying to cause panic.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's no surprise that people wouldn't listen to those two clowns.
    They are responsible for things being as bad as they are here. We knew before this virus arrived on our doorstep just how bad it was but instead of getting ahead of the curve and shutting everything down they just did nothing.
    I'm not alone amongst ordinary who started taking precautions and locked ourselves down over four weeks ago. Those idiots only brought it to a serious level five days ago.

Why make personal attack of the ministers in government - they are following medical advice - what party do you want in power -SF not exactly doing much in the north although they are in a power sharing agreement - do you want to follow the UK or US or maybe even adopt the Swedish model?

And yet we have other posters posting linked about Italy and Greece were the population is getting sick of lock down and unrest is brewing.

It was set out from the very start that there were different stages.

How long are you prepared to be in lockdown as you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

easypazz wrote: »

It's not a cheap dig. They let it happen.

The dogs in the street knew it would lead to deaths. Holohan and co did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

wadacrack wrote: »

It’s also from some random twitter account, I would take it with a very large pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

easypazz wrote: »

Yea should have left that out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

gabeeg wrote: »
    Denmark - 232 new cases, 14 deaths
    Norway - 64 new cases, 2 deaths (so far)
    Sweden - 512 new cases, 59 deaths

Imagine being the Swedish PM right now as it begins to dawn on you that you've condemned countless thousands of your countrymen to death with idiotic policy.

Donald Trump was praising himself last night, we might have 100000 dead but if it wasn't for me it could have been 2 million.

It will be interesting to see how America votes if USA comes out near the top of the table in terms of per capita deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

An update from Gavan Reilly on ICU numbers.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1245289339086680075?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement