Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Are we who are "cocooned" allowed to shop for groceries or are we expected to go without food for 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Do all over 70’s have to “cocoon”?

Well if I was related to them I would hope they would cocoon. My parents are lucky though as they have a garden to sit out in or work in. Before thsi my dad got up at 5am for a short walk outside but now they have decided to cocoon so to speak, but be an early riser if you need a walk as less people to come across

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

appledrop wrote: »
    Leo clearly stated that people in a family unit can go out for a walk together once within 2km of home . Dont know who decided here about 1 parent thing its nonsense.

I live in Fingal + seems like parks are open in likes of Malahide Castle etc but car parks closed. This makes sense as if you want to use facility you should be in walking distance if your abiding by 2km rules.

The guidelines say individual exercise within 2 km. That would suggest adults in the same household should not exercise together.
    I presume it is to stop people meeting up. There would be no way to tell if from the same house or not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Next stage:Soylent Green, for those who fail to cocoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

eggy81 wrote: »
    Can I pick up my son from his mum. Short distance away. But is it considered essential

You are allowed travel for vital family reasons such as providing care to children. - From the RTE News website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Can I pick up my son from his mum. Short distance away. But is it considered essential

Not advisable. Two different groups.

khalessi wrote: »
    Well if I was related to them I would hope they would cocoon. My parents are lucky though as they have a garden to sit out in or work in. Before thsi my dad got up at 5am for a short walk outside but now they have decided to cocoon so to speak, but be an early riser if you need a walk as less people to come across

Mine are both 70 and they will without a doubt go walking. My mother especially is addicted to walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cianos wrote: »
    You are allowed travel for vital family reasons such as providing care to children. - From the RTE News website

Correct. Allowances made specifically for family emergencies in Leo's speech last night.

Mine are both 70 and they will without a doubt go walking. My mother especially is addicted to walking.

Same with my folks and dad hates being housebound but they will manage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can't even spellcheck their own document

ensure spaces are not crowed

• Advertisement

Are we who are "cocooned" allowed to shop for groceries or are we expected to go without food for 2 weeks?

You're allowed to do the same as everyone else. This is advice, there is no enforced "cocooning"
    There are plenty of agencies offering to get food including guards for over 70s. No need for anyone to starve, but you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It really isn't, though. I rang my local centre before making the trip there with a bag of stinking rubbish in the car. They said that they were staying open - but that was almost a week ago, so would be worth checking.

That's fine but the crowd here aren't picking up phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Skerries wrote: »

Nitpicking a bit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

In the national interest please obey the rules. The government would never would never use this crisis to socially engineer society and remove pesky civil liberties, such as the right to protest. If your friends, family or neighbours are not obeying then report them comrades..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rusty the athlete

joe40 wrote: »
    You're allowed to do the same as everyone else. This is advice, there is no enforced "cocooning"
    There are plenty of agencies offering to get food including guards for over 70s. No need for anyone to starve, but you already know that.
    If I had known that I would have not posted the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

I've read the thread, the announcement and some articles but I'm still unclear.. are take aways open? Or is it now forced delivery only?

If I wanted to drive 7km to my usual take away will I be allowed to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Danger781 wrote: »
    I've read the thread, the announcement and some articles but I'm still unclear.. are take aways open? Or is it now forced delivery only?

If I wanted to drive 7km to my usual take away will I be allowed to do that?

Nein, das ist vorboten.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

The guidelines say individual exercise within 2 km. That would suggest adults in the same household should not exercise together.
    I presume it is to stop people meeting up. There would be no way to tell if from the same house or not

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=507311&d=1585384965

Posted on today's Irish Times.
    Adults and children of the same household can go for a walk together, within 2km of their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You can exercise with your family.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

In the national interest please obey the rules. The government would never would never use this crisis to socially engineer society and remove pesky civil liberties, such as the right to protest. If your friends, family or neighbours are not obeying then report them comrades..

People are naturally concerned and worried. Maybe this isn't the time to be poking fun? There are serious concerns about power plays by those in power, but this isn't the time nor place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

At the moment its advised to not mix households. It's something I've had to discuss with someone about recently. A judge has given a fair assessment of things here:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/top-judge-says-children-of-separated-parents-should-use-skype-if-covid-19-halts-access-39083329.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Breakerz wrote: »
    You're assuming people, who have never been in this position before or had experience in a situation like this, now know what they're doing. Although judging by your post you probably have little to be worrying about anyway. Many Gardai stations across the county are receiving phonecalls as to whether people should go to work or not thanks to the lack of clarity. Absolute madness.

People are always free to use their own common sense in the small window of half a day to a day before the full list will be published. Anyone phoning a Garda station wondering whether they should go to work should have a look at themselves and cop on.

I'm assuming that senior health officials and qualified epidemiologists are in a far better position to judge what's needed than your average joe. Hardly unreasonable.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=507311&d=1585384965

Posted on today's Irish Times.
    Adults and children of the same household can go for a walk together, within 2km of their home.

Thanks for that, it is different from what was published earlier, they clearly said individual exercise only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

How did you find the numbers for past years?

It is very difficult to figure out which view is correct.

If your numbers are right then that is a massive increase and dies not tally with the “all hysteria” view.

Average of 155 doesn’t mean it was throughout the year - maybe this time of year is when the majority actually died.

How can there still be people questioning this?

The Stories coming back from Italy and Spain are scary and horrific, they are having to set up temporary morgues to deal with the numbers of dead, reports of doctors having to decide who lives or dies because they can not cope with the numbers in ICU. This is anything but any normal year for them.

Íde like to know who is making these "all hysteria" claims? some one asked you earlier for a source, I would like to see this as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

Are solicitors closed ? Would have assumed they were an essential service but do not see them on the list?

km79 wrote: »
    Are solicitors closed ? Would have assumed they were an essential service but do not see them on the list?

probably contactable via email

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Skerries wrote: »

Your shift button broken?

Why 2KM restriction I wonder? Why did they pick that number of kilometres...........its very short.
    My daughter and sister live in the UK and while they are apparently on a lockdown, they can exercise anywhere, no restrictions in terms of distance at all.
    She has discovered some lovely country bridlepaths and walkways and some forests, all socially distancing. I was walking in woods and quiet country lanes this week completely alone, meeting nobody, but I had to drive to get to them. They are all within 8km of where I live.

There is nothing within 2km of me except a very fast main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

Was there a time given today of when the full list of each individual service deemed essential would be published?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭crossman47

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Going to the shops is one thing, not going for a walk another.

I doubt many people of that age will stop going for a walk.

Well they should. Its for their own sake. Start talking about their will if they don't cop on.

Advertisement