Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Your nct is valid. Also no mechanic is going to want to put themselves in that certifying position for no gain. They could open themselves up to all sorts of possible litigation should an accident occur.

What insurance company is this?

Utter madness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Good luck finding a garage who would commit to that.
    I would try a couple other insurance companies and see what they say.
    Sounds makey uppy from this one but what do i know....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Never heard of such request, especially when the car has valid nct.

I would try to ring again and speak to another person. They might think the cert is out when it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Thanks guys, its with kennco. I can't go elsewhere as I have an open claim from 2013 when I got rear ended. Guess I will email them the nct cert plus a screen shot of the expiry date from the nct website and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭zg3409

zg3409 wrote: »
    In terms of a car nearly 10 years old (2010 year on reg), I rang NCT as it is not covered in their FAQ. In the past if the car was 9 years 9 months old then you could do test more than 90 days early you would get 2 years rather than the one year that applies within 90 days of the ten year anniversary.

I was worried with the extra free 4 months, if you do the test more than 90 days before the new date, the car at that point will actually be over 10 years old on the test date, but the person on the phone said I would get a 2 year NCT as I was unable to test it recently due to covit. I am not 100% convinced "computer will say OK" but I am on a cancellation waiting list.

Note if you try book through website many centres are booked up for months. If you need a test sooner ring them up. You stay on hold for 20 minutes and then get to speak to a real person. They have access to cancellations but if you are not deemed high priority they will take your mobile number. Then within 2 weeks you will get a test date by text message, for probably 2 weeks later. I needed this to get a pass before the 90 days from new date, so I will, hopefully, get 2 years NCT. Fingers crossed. I allow an extra week or two in case I fail on something silly as you need to fully pass more than 90 days in advance.

Went for test, car just over 10 years old (by a few weeks), arrived more than 90 days before test date, passed and got 2 year NCT. So if you have a 2010 car, try get it tested more than 90 days before your new NCT expiry date and you will get 2 years instead of one even if car is technically slightly older than 10 years since first registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'm confused - My wifes car went for the NCT in Feb, we didn't get a pass as the lifts were not working and then lock down happened.

We've been called back to do the test again and it's full price? - Surely the lift issue doesn't warrant paying twice for them to do the test?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Had my test this morning.
    Can i suggest to make the way things are going now, standard when things eventually will be some sort of normal again?
    Especially the 1 person per car. Minus the mask.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Quick Question (Though I'm sure it's been asked a few hundred times already so apologies....)

My NCT expiry was always September, so I went there to check it, and it now says it expires at the end of January 2021, which is fine.

So what's the deal with my window disc saying September 2019? Do I need an updated disc? or will it be no issue if I get stopped at a checkpoint in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan with a what looks like expired NCT disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Quick Question (Though I'm sure it's been asked a few hundred times already so apologies....)

My NCT expiry was always September, so I went there to check it, and it now says it expires at the end of January 2021, which is fine.

So what's the deal with my window disc saying September 2019? Do I need an updated disc? or will it be no issue if I get stopped at a checkpoint in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan with a what looks like expired NCT disc?

Your current disk is fine until January.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭wassie

You wont get and updated disc (AFAIK). AGS should be able to confirm dates on their database if it was queried. You could also quickly check it on your phone if they were unable to do so. My experience in checkpoints in last 2 months was that they were pragmatic and aware of the issues with NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Poster above is correct, no new discs will be issued at all, AGS is informed on the NCT changes.

I got an email from the NCT at time of extension to say same, and printed that out to put in the car just in case.

• Administrators Posts: 53,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone having any luck getting appointments? I have one car due on 1/10, and another due on 31/10 (this is the extended date for both), and the earliest appointment I can get is 30/11.

Is there a particular day of the week when cancelled appointments are released back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭zg3409

awec wrote: »
    Anyone having any luck getting appointments? I have one car due on 1/10, and another due on 31/10 (this is the extended date for both), and the earliest appointment I can get is 30/11.

Is there a particular day of the week when cancelled appointments are released back?

See previous messages. Try online after 9:30pm or 11:30pm or early in morning. Ring them up and stay on hold for 20 minutes and they might text you back within 2 weeks with a cancellation. Try nearby alternative test centres too.

Book the appointment regardless in case things go worse, although unlikely, easy to change the date online and at least you will have guaranteed appointment no matter how busy they become in next few weeks.

I believe you will find a slot earlier, especially if there is more than one centre within reasonable distance.

Keep checking morning and evenings and something will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

wonski wrote: »
    Book the appointment regardless in case things go worse, although unlikely, easy to change the date online and at least you will have guaranteed appointment no matter how busy they become in next few weeks.

I believe you will find a slot earlier, especially if there is more than one centre within reasonable distance.

Keep checking morning and evenings and something will appear.

Is it straightforward (no fees?) to change the appointment online? I can only find appointments for the end of November and mine is due on the 1st of Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭wassie

You will have to cancel your old appointment before it will let you reschedule a new one. No problem cancelling and doesn't cost anything, provided your more than 5 days away from your current appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Hi NCT due date is mid September but nothing available online anyway at our centre til January! Whats the deal? Are gardai strict with ncts at moment considering the total back log?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,242 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hi NCT due date is mid September but nothing available online anyway at our centre til January! Whats the deal? Are gardai strict with ncts at moment considering the total back log?

Try around 9.30pm at night to check availability, that's roughly when they release cancelled tests back in to the pool.

Not sure where some of you are based but there are slots available in Fonthill and another one near m50(Greenhill or something) in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,210 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm sure this has been asked already.
    My NCT is up in early January 2021 and I clicked in there trying to get a test but it says my NCT is valid until May 2021.
    So, if I book my car in for October will my cert say Valid until 10/21 because I'm exceeding the 90 day limit.

• Advertisement
    M

My NCT is up in early January 2021 and I clicked in there trying to get a test but it says my NCT is valid until May 2021.
    So, if I book my car in for October will my cert say Valid until 10/21 because I'm exceeding the 90 day limit.

Yes once it's over 90 days it will be 1 year from the test date.

Yes once it's over 90 days it will be 1 year from the test date.

Thanks,

I think I should have worded it better. Does my test expire in January as my disc says or in May according to website.

M

Thanks,

I think I should have worded it better. Does my test expire in January as my disc says or in May according to website.

In May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You obviously qualified for the 4 months extension so why would you want to do the test almost 9 months early?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

You obviously qualified for the 4 months extension so why would you want to do the test almost 9 months early?

I have somebody and they'll be doing a driving test in my car hopefully in the new year and they don't want to turn up with an expired disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I have somebody and they'll be doing a driving test in my car hopefully in the new year and they don't want to turn up with an expired disc.

That is an interesting one alright. I'm sure if you get your renewal date up again on the NCT site and print it out it will cover that scenario but you would be better off to get an official answer on it though.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Trying to book the NCT which isint due until November, and nothing available until December. Problem is, the car will be off the road for 4/5 months, well passed the expiry. Ill try and rebook as someone said earlier after 9:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭User1998

Isn’t it legal to drive to the NCT in a car thats been declared off the road?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

antodeco wrote: »
    Trying to book the NCT which isint due until November, and nothing available until December. Problem is, the car will be off the road for 4/5 months, well passed the expiry. Ill try and rebook as someone said earlier after 9:30!

Following up to this. I checked this morning and got one for Tuesday!

• Advertisement

Can I double check this.
    My NCT expires on the January 2021.
    When I click into the website it says my NCT is valid until May 2021.
    If I get a dat for a test November or December will my my NCT be valid for a year from that date or will they give it to me from my January date?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement