Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,929 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

zg3409 wrote: »
    Yes, I was there yesterday.

This must be the only centre that accepts cash, we're is it exactly? I understood no NCT centres handle cash payments and even to get a test it has to be booked online via debit/credit card? Even follow up requirements are charged to the card used when booking original test? Maybe its different for Trade but I'd be surprised, indeed my mechanic who normally runs mine through after yearly service has advised he can longer do this, I've to book test in advance

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

zg3409 wrote: »
    If you are on the reserve list you can't pay in advance. You can pay on the day.

Apologies, I've never heard of a Reserve list?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone know if level 5 will impact the NCT?

siblers wrote: »

It's likely, level 5 pretty much shuts everything non essential down. Government reportidly not happy with the recommendations but it will be a brave politician to go against NPHET advice

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

siblers wrote: »

Yes it will be closed down, on the plus side they will likely extend everyones by 4 months again.

I can't see any chance of a Level 5 coming in, absolutely zero case for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

For what it's worth, the booking system is a nightmare at the moment, and there are very few slots available for a long time going forward.

Last week, I decided I'd better book in my Picasso as it's due for test in December, and the trade booking system that allowed for short notice bookings is not available at the moment.

I went on line to book it, and initially, there was nothing available before due date. Gave up looking, but decided I'd better see how thing were looking for my wife's car, which is now due in Feb. First date I got offered was Oct 6th, which is too soon, as anything before November would be seen as a voluntary test, and get dated accordingly.

Didn't book that, but decided that if October dates were available, I'd try and get that date for the Picasso. Went back in, and the first date offered was again in December, after expiry date of extended cert. No sight or sign of the October date that it had offered me only a few seconds earlier.

After trying about a dozen time, it eventually offered me the October 6th date for the Picasso, which I grabbed before it went away again.

Makes no sense to me that their system is working the way it is, if a slot is open, it should be offered regardless of the expiry date of the test on the vehicle that's being entered.

As for what will happen if we end up with another level 5 lock down, that's anybody's guess, the system is struggling as it is, another backlog of tests will not help things at all.

The good side is that the Picasso passed, so that's now not a worry till Dec 22, and the Seicento is booked in for early January, so as long as the test can be done then, there's time to sort out any issues if it doesn't pass, which is a possible, given the age that it is.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

My NCT was up in July but I got the extension until October. I booked it anyway for July as I was thinking about selling, they were practically laughing at me bringing it in “early”. Looks like it was the right decision now. Donedeal is absolutely full of cars for sale without NCTs or with covid extensions which means they haven’t been tested in over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I booked a test in a nearby county but checked the site every day and eventually a better date in my own county appeared so I swapped - a time even appeared for late on the same day I was checking .

Mine now deffered to December 31st but now worrying if I book will it be done with this latest level 3 and increasingly obvious move to 4 or 5 restrictions. Its a nightmare and perhaps proving the entire NCT, Driving licence and Driver testing systems are collectively not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Back from NCT centre, took ages to get a slot and a lot of searching checking their site 3-4 times per day but was still nearly a month overdue.
    9 lanes in Northpoint and only 5 cars being tested at a time, ridiculous, should be nearly 2 cars per lane. No wonder there's such a backlog and no availability within a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Doesn't look like we are moving to level 5.

So does anyone know if the nct will stay open at level 4?

green123 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like we are moving to level 5.

So does anyone know if the nct will stay open at level 4?

Wondering the same thing myself, it may not be level 5 but a mix of 4&5, you'd think NCT an essential service but I was due to book but will hold off until more clarity, mine was extended till 31st December

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm due to vrt a car soon. Will be keeping an eye on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Need a retest for light alignment. Booked for next Saturday, really hope I can get it through :/

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭redunited

Just went to book my car which is due in November, saying next appointment in Jan!

I already had the extension but seeing as it was November thought I had plenty of time. Anyone know what the situation is here, is it simply I cant drive my car or do the Gardai give exceptions because of COVID? THanks

redunited wrote: »
    Just went to book my car which is due in November, saying next appointment in Jan!

I already had the extension but seeing as it was November thought I had plenty of time. Anyone know what the situation is here, is it simply I cant drive my car or do the Gardai give exceptions because of COVID? THanks

Basically this is a farce, if you have an extension that applies only to the date applicable, its ridiculous. I can only assume NCT will have to come up with further extensions if yours is to be an example of the mess the situation is. Whilst most Gardai reasonable, it just takes one and your caught. Just outrageous your essentially either parking up your car for two months or drive illegally because of total NCT ineptitude. Mine due end of December after extension, at this rate it will be July before I get an appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Basically this is a farce, if you have an extension that applies only to the date applicable, its ridiculous. I can only assume NCT will have to come up with further extensions if yours is to be an example of the mess the situation is. Whilst most Gardai reasonable, it just takes one and your caught. Just outrageous your essentially either parking up your car for two months or drive illegally because of total NCT ineptitude. Mine due end of December after extension, at this rate it will be July before I get an appointment.

And the chances of getting stopped now are very high. Guards can't turn you around at a checkpoint but not sure I'd want to roll up to one without a valid nct!

And the chances of getting stopped now are very high. Guards can't turn you around at a checkpoint but not sure I'd want to roll up to one without a valid nct!

Exactly and you know there'll be a few Gardai waiting. I've the deferral letter in my car just n case but I'm hoping if my test goes beyond the extended date of expiry, proof of appointment will suffice, I can't be without a car, just a ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Thing is if you had an extension why wait until the last moment to book a test. I booked one and got it for 2 weeks about two weeks ago. Check around NCT centers some have shorter wait times. As well if you ring they may sort you with a cancellation. But we all know for ages it often takes 6+ weeks for to get a booking

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I know this is probably unhelpful in getting your appointment, but surely you’d have known they were forced to close for months so there’d be a huge backlog and not to only look at the website a few weeks before the test is due?

Anyway the only help I can give is keep refreshing the NCT website and slots do sometimes appear so you might get lucky if you keep trying. Have everything else in order (tax, lights etc) and don’t give the guard an excuse to pull you up on it.

• Advertisement

Thing is if you had an extension why wait until the last moment to book a test. I booked one and got it for 2 weeks about two weeks ago. Check around NCT centers some have shorter wait times. As well if you ring they may sort you with a cancellation. But we all know for ages it often takes 6+ weeks for to get a booking

Fair point, I'm booking tomorrow for an e tended to December, just waiting word on what's happening with new lockdowns before I do. This said if you live rural, as I do, not straight forward choosing non local centre's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Happened to me too a few weeks back. I agreed to go for a cancellation and got the NCT 2 days after it was due to expire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Fair point, I'm booking tomorrow for an e tended to December, just waiting word on what's happening with new lockdowns before I do. This said if you live rural, as I do, not straight forward choosing non local centre's

Why not book now and if the NCT centres are closed down, the have no choice but to give you an extension.
    At least you are on the system for booking one.

mgn wrote: »
    Why not book now and if the NCT centres are closed down, the have no choice but to give you an extension.
    At least you are on the system for booking one.

Hi, yes, booking it in the morning, I presume this level 5 will now stop any tests, given the 5km travel rule being suggested, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There's gonna be some serious shyteboxes on the road if these "covid" extensions go on any longer.

Hi, yes, booking it in the morning, I presume this level 5 will now stop any tests, given the 5km travel rule being suggested, thanks

Hard to know, although i can see them pushing to leave them open because of the backlog.

Hard to know, although i can see them pushing to leave them open because of the backlog.

Getting passed this possible 5km rule will be the trick

Getting passed this possible 5km rule will be the trick

Could that be classed as an essential journey, hard to know what's what nowadays.

Could that be classed as an essential journey, hard to know what's what nowadays.

F#€K it I'm buying an electric bike :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just looked there nearly all dates available are January, I wanted to get the 2 years on my car as it's 2011 and is due January 16th, obviously was planning on the over 90 day early.
    Doesn't look like that's possible with them dates.... I'll have to keep checking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement