Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Need serious help here off someone, I attached my two test reports one from March pre-Covid. Had one major fault that I’ve corrected, it was retested today and I’m being told it’s unroadworthy! 3 months and only 150 kilometres in the difference. Was this negligence from the guy I got 3 months ago who I have to say was very sound about. I knew once I seen the guy today I was in trouble, face like thunder.

Here’s the copy from March.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

1st test was done by Stevie Wonder.
    It happens.

I once got a pass while my exhaust was kept in place with a tie rap because i couldnt have that fixed in time for the test and was too late to cancel the test for free. So just went there fully expecting a fail and retest (which would have been cheaper than cancelling th test completely)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Brakes would only have been tested for operation at the first test- condition can only be checked when it's up on the lift. So the first tester didn't miss them - they just wouldn't have been looked at. Same applies to the tyres.

The only things tested with the broken lifts were lights, breaking efficiency, suspension operation and emissions.

I have to ask - did you not check the car at all before your first test? Wire coming through on a tyre doesn't happen in 150km :confused:

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, can see more now that it’s been pointed out. Also on the wire showing, I cannot see what he’s talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Just got mine done in Northpoint 1 - the lifts actually looked pretty old, I thought they were replaced, maybe just some parts? A pleasant surprise was the the new cert is valid till Sept '22, I thought it would be till May when my old one expired (excluding the extension)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just got mine done in Northpoint 1 - the lifts actually looked pretty old, I thought they were replaced, maybe just some parts? A pleasant surprise was the the new cert is valid till Sept '22, I thought it would be till May when my old one expired (excluding the extension)

Where in the window of the new test date was your test done? Was it early, late or on the button regarding the new date?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

My last cert expired 28 May (or maybe 27 or 29) and I did the test today, new expiry is now 27 Sept '22. The cert was extended to Sept so I guess I got an early test. It's a vintage car, if that makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey,

Heading to the NCT tomorrow what’s the procedure with COVID is it just turn up and wait outside until your turn. Are you allowed inside with Social distance? Read the FAQ on the site just wondering how people found it in action.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Go into reception as normal. then they make you wait with your car till the tester comes out, then you wait outside till it's finished. If you pass, they leave the cert on the passenger seat. I didn't notice what happens if you fail. Luckily it was not raining today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Go into reception as normal. then they make you wait with your car till the tester comes out, then you wait outside till it's finished. If you pass, they leave the cert on the passenger seat. I didn't notice what happens if you fail. Luckily it was not raining today :)

So you check in at the desk & then return to your car and wait?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

If you fail they also leave the report on the seat but the tester will tell you where it failed while maintaining the 2m distancing;)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

gooner99 wrote: »
    2 years from revised/new date if tested within 90 days of the revised/new test date. If you test earlier it will be due again 2 years from the old date. Same applies for those on a 1 year test cycle.

Is this confirmed on the NCT website? I can't see it anywhere except on Boards.

I hope you're right though, I've mine booked 7 weeks ahead of the new due date.

So you check in at the desk & then return to your car and wait?

Yeah, in Northpoint anyway. Bring a brolly if it looks like rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Is this confirmed on the NCT website? I can't see it anywhere except on Boards.

I hope you're right though, I've mine booked 7 weeks ahead of the new due date.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ncts.ie/media/1037/faqs-resumption-of-nct-service.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiipN2wn8bqAhURUBUIHQnTApUQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw2woncF6Xe1-2OefGVB3jdB&cshid=1594506528190

Item 32 of part 2.

Yeah, in Northpoint anyway. Bring a brolly if it looks like rain!

Just to clarify this for the person that asked (gadgetman), when Costington means bring an umbrella he means that when your car is being tested, you've nowhere to go except a green area at the front of the centre.

(that is; when your car is being tested, they still don't let you sit inside the building)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Thanks for the link, but that doesn’t seem to answer the question.

It’s the 90 day thing I’m looking to confirm.

32. Does the extension apply to the current testing cycle only and will future test due dates revert to the anniversary of first registration?
    The date is being permanently reset and anniversaries of the new date will be your car’s test due date going forward e.g. a vehicle with a test due date of 2 April 2020 will change to a test due date of 2 August 2020 and 2 August will be the car’s test due date in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Probably been covered already but I have a second car that I only take out for the summer. It's usual nct due date is October which has been extended to February, I'd prefer to get it done before October as I'll park the car up for the winter then. Is it still possible to book in 90 days before the October due date?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Pops_20

tolow wrote: »
    Probably been covered already but I have a second car that I only take out for the summer. It's usual nct due date is October which has been extended to February, I'd prefer to get it done before October as I'll park the car up for the winter then. Is it still possible to book in 90 days before the October due date?

Cheers

I don't think so. You can book 90 days before the new February expiry date. I am in the same boat with a car that expired in June, but pushed out to October.

• Advertisement

tolow wrote: »

Cheers
    As far as I'm aware, yes you can. But if you do then your test will expire in October 2021, where if you make use of the extension it won't expire until February 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks for the link, but that doesn’t seem to answer the question.

It’s the 90 day thing I’m looking to confirm.

32. Does the extension apply to the current testing cycle only and will future test due dates revert to the anniversary of first registration?
    The date is being permanently reset and anniversaries of the new date will be your car’s test due date going forward e.g. a vehicle with a test due date of 2 April 2020 will change to a test due date of 2 August 2020 and 2 August will be the car’s test due date in future.

My understanding is that yes you will get a full 2 years or 1 year from the new test date, once the test is undertaken within 90 days of the new test date. I stand to be corrected though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Any idea when they release available slots for VRT? I can't make my appointment next week and looks like there isn't a single available slot anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

Phone them and they may have slots available that aren't showing on line.
    VRT: 01-4135975

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

stesaurus wrote: »
    Any idea when they release available slots for VRT? I can't make my appointment next week and looks like there isn't a single available slot anywhere.

I Booked mine at the start of the month, for the 23rd.

New slots came up on the Monday, but were disappearing fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Rang and they didn't have anything on their system to offer either. Checked again around lunchtime online and a few have come available now but disappearing fast. So maybe Monday lunchtime is when they release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Anyone know the story with other nct centres opening back up? Is there a timeline for reopening posted online anywhere.

I see two nct centres which would be more local to me are offering dates for the end of July and early August is it safe to assume they'll be reopening with lifts fixed and the ability to carry out full tests.

Edit never mind I see all dates are pushed out to mid September now must have been a mistake on the site during the weekend because I had seen no mention of the 2 centres reopening so it took me by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Rockfish wrote: »
    Had my test in March, passed bar the Lift test obviously. I have been unable to get a date yet for this to be done so what is the situation re my insurance? Also i just noticed on the NCT site now that it's saying Vehicle to be retested on or before Tuesday, September 15, 2020. :confused::confused::confused:
    Im confused about this. Apologies if this has been done to death but ive looked through the various threads and don't see an answer

Im in almost identical situation. Tested in March, and passed bar the lifts bit. I have that on Sunday but wondering am i insured or whats the story? insurance is up Friday and, moved to new insurer yesterday and will ring them to check but would be interested to know where i might stand before i ring. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Im in almost identical situation. Tested in March, and passed bar the lifts bit. I have that on Sunday but wondering am i insured or whats the story? insurance is up Friday and, moved to new insurer yesterday and will ring them to check but would be interested to know where i might stand before i ring. Thanks

Put your reg into the site. It should show you the extended date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

2 years from revised/new date if tested within 90 days of the revised/new test date. If you test earlier it will be due again 2 years from the old date. Same applies for those on a 1 year test cycle.

In terms of a car nearly 10 years old (2010 year on reg), I rang NCT as it is not covered in their FAQ. In the past if the car was 9 years 9 months old then you could do test more than 90 days early you would get 2 years rather than the one year that applies within 90 days of the ten year anniversary.

I was worried with the extra free 4 months, if you do the test more than 90 days before the new date, the car at that point will actually be over 10 years old on the test date, but the person on the phone said I would get a 2 year NCT as I was unable to test it recently due to covit. I am not 100% convinced "computer will say OK" but I am on a cancellation waiting list.

Note if you try book through website many centres are booked up for months. If you need a test sooner ring them up. You stay on hold for 20 minutes and then get to speak to a real person. They have access to cancellations but if you are not deemed high priority they will take your mobile number. Then within 2 weeks you will get a test date by text message, for probably 2 weeks later. I needed this to get a pass before the 90 days from new date, so I will, hopefully, get 2 years NCT. Fingers crossed. I allow an extra week or two in case I fail on something silly as you need to fully pass more than 90 days in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement