Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

My re - test lane needed is booked for the 30th october...any idea if this date will be extended if centres close or what?
    Rgds

Just looked there nearly all dates available are January, I wanted to get the 2 years on my car as it's 2011 and is due January 16th, obviously was planning on the over 90 day early.
    Doesn't look like that's possible with them dates.... I'll have to keep checking.

Check from 10 - 11 pm or very early morning...some slots even for the same day can be found if lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    My re - test lane needed is booked for the 30th october...any idea if this date will be extended if centres close or what?
    Rgds

I'm booked in for a retest this Saturday, hoping I can go or I'm sure it'll be a full retest next time :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

They've a message up on the nct site saying that all centres will be open. That message was put up in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They've a message up on the nct site saying that all centres will be open. That message was put up in the last hour.

Also dated 20th which is tomorrow.

Dates are months away to book, I know keep checking but that's crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just looked there nearly all dates available are January, I wanted to get the 2 years on my car as it's 2011 and is due January 16th, obviously was planning on the over 90 day early.
    Doesn't look like that's possible with them dates.... I'll have to keep checking.
    Is January 16th the original due date? So its new due date is in May?

It would seem in this case that as long as you get it tested more than ninety days in advance of the NEW date, you still get the two year cert (even though your car would be just over ten years old at that point). So a date in January should be perfect for you.

Quackster wrote: »
    Is January 16th the original due date? So its new due date is in May?

It would seem in this case that as long as you get it tested more than ninety days in advance of the NEW date, you still get the two year cert (even though your car would be just over ten years old at that point). So a date in January should be perfect for you.

Hi, yes it's the original date of 16th January, just went on there and seen the date is now 17th may with extension, so if I do it 90 days before that date I'll be getting 2 years.
    I was going to just ask that exact question so I'll be able to leave it for now so. That's brilliant thanks for that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

The Independent has a long list of restrictions and exemptions. Repair of mechanically propelled vehicles is listed as open, so that seems to indicate car servicing can still happen. The 5km limit though has only very specific exemptions, so I can’t see how I can reach the nct centre.

The message up on the nct site says to ring if impacted by the travel restriction. Hopefully they extend the nct certs again. My cert expires 22nd November and my test is booked October 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,929 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The Independent has a long list of restrictions and exemptions. Repair of mechanically propelled vehicles is listed as open, so that seems to indicate car servicing can still happen. The 5km limit though has only very specific exemptions, so I can’t see how I can reach the nct centre.

The message up on the nct site says to ring if impacted by the travel restriction. Hopefully they extend the nct certs again. My cert expires 22nd November and my test is booked October 30th.

Doesn't seem government for turning on this 5km rule, my guess is NCT will waive fee if those booked affected, just a bizzare situation really.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,966 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Last night the Gov.ie site didn't list "to shop for essential items" as one of the exemptions to the 5km limit.
    It's there this morning.

I assume it's just an oversight that "to access essential services" as one of the exemptions.
    As currently worded, you couldn't go to a post office if > 5 km away.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Last night the Gov.ie site didn't list "to shop for essential items" as one of the exemptions to the 5km limit.
    It's there this morning.

I assume it's just an oversight that "to access essential services" as one of the exemptions.
    As currently worded, you couldn't go to a post office if > 5 km away.

Michael Martin was asked by a journalist based on uproar on social media, he mumbled something and a few minutes later, I think Leo confirmed food shopping OK?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Michael Martin was asked by a journalist based on uproar on social media, he mumbled something and a few minutes later, I think Leo confirmed food shopping OK?

Yes, but I expect over the comings days it'll be clarified that access to essential services (i.e. those declared as ok to remain open in Level 5) will be added as an exemption also. Which would cover NCT services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yes, but I expect over the comings days it'll be clarified that access to essential services (i.e. those declared as ok to remain open in Level 5) will be added as an exemption also. Which would cover NCT services.

Absolutely you can travel more than 5k for shopping and services.. i have an NCT on November 2nd 30km away in Fontil. I expect ill still be going.

Yes, hope so, I live on the side of a mountain, nearest shopping is 19km away, I don't fancy buying a bow & arrow to feed myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yes, hope so, I live on the side of a mountain, nearest shopping is 19km away, I don't fancy buying a bow & arrow to feed myself :)

thats essential travel so you are ok (and i doubt you world meet any garda checks !)

when level 4 was brought in up here in donegal they blocked out all the appointments until January the day before, i had looked 2 days before and there were loads of appointments available and suddenly nothing for 3 months.

so lockdown definitely not finishing until mid jan.

thats essential travel so you are ok (and i doubt you world meet any garda checks !)

when level 4 was brought in up here in donegal they blocked out all the appointments until January the day before, i had looked 2 days before and there were loads of appointments available and suddenly nothing for 3 months.

Thanks, unfortunately some Gardai love the sceney of the slieve bloom mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Do you think the NCT centres know more than the rest of the country? Mid January is 13/14 weeks away, I don't believe for a second we'll be in lockdown until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

This is it wrote: »
    Do you think the NCT centres know more than the rest of the country? Mid January is 13/14 weeks away, I don't believe for a second we'll be in lockdown until then.

Exactly, I laughed when I read the post. Some rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

i went to book the NCT 2 weeks ago... couldnt get a date earlier than January. Phoned them and they put me on a cancellation list and i got a text few days later for a test 3rd November..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

NCT have updated their site to say it is essential travel and to attend bokkings

• Advertisement

NCT have updated their site to say it is essential travel and to attend bokkings

Was like that yesterday, dated today.
    If anyone is worried have the letter or text on phone stating test time and date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Was like that yesterday, dated today.
    If anyone is worried have the letter or text on phone stating test time and date

It was worded differently yesterday. It was to contact them if vulnerable or travel restriction applied to you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sorry i did have my tinfoil hat when i wrote that if that's any excuse :D

although if anyone thinks this will be over in 6 weeks .........

It was worded differently yesterday. It was to contact them if vulnerable or travel restriction applied to you

Aye, I saw that text this morning also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My cert expires 22nd November and my test is booked October 30th.
    Oddly enough PT, my car's also up in November as it has been since I got it, but when I went to book today the NCT site says I'm not expired until April 1st 2021. :confused: Now I know they gave a four month extension for those affected by the first lockdown but IIRC that was for cars due in april and onwards of 2020 and I missed that by months.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oddly enough PT, my car's also up in November as it has been since I got it, but when I went to book today the NCT site says I'm not expired until April 1st 2021. :confused: Now I know they gave a four month extension for those affected by the first lockdown but IIRC that was for cars due in april and onwards of 2020 and I missed that by months.
    Nope, almost all cars had their NCTs pushed out by four months. Only exceptions were those that had NCTs outstanding from before the beginning of lockdown and new cars first registered after 1st August 2016.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Quackster wrote: »
    Nope, almost all cars had their NCTs pushed out by four months. Only exceptions were those that had NCTs outstanding from before the beginning of lockdown and new cars first registered after 1st August 2016.
    Thanks for that Q. My concern is isn't part of the law that you have to display a valid NCT. So technically you could be done if you passed the test, but didn't put the current disk in the window? Maybe I'll nip into my local Garda station and ask them their take.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jackhynes99

Wibbs wrote: »
    Thanks for that Q. My concern is isn't part of the law that you have to display a valid NCT. So technically you could be done if you passed the test, but didn't put the current disk in the window? Maybe I'll nip into my local Garda station and ask them their take.

Hey man
    Because where going into lockdown for another 6 weeks does that mean our ncts are extended another 6 weeks on top of the already 4 month extension??

Hey man
    Because where going into lockdown for another 6 weeks does that mean our ncts are extended another 6 weeks on top of the already 4 month extension??

Ncts site, enter reg and it will give you date, extended date.

• Advertisement

Nct website

20 Oct 2020 COVID 19 Update: The NCT service is deemed an essential service and customers travelling for scheduled appointments are exempt from the travel restrictions. All NCT centres are fully operational and customers should attend for their scheduled appointment as arranged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement