Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

sligojoek wrote: »
    Put your reg into the site. It should show you the extended date.

Says my test is due before March 17 and elsewhere says my retest must be done beflore Sept 14 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Says my test is due before March 17 and elsewhere says my retest must be done beflore Sept 14 :confused:

Possibly your nct expiry date is 17/03, but you need to complete your retest by 14/09 otherwise you will have to put it through full test again.

Edit: your original expiry date is not extended, but you retest deadline date is ;)

wonski wrote: »
    Possibly your nct expiry date is 17/03, but you need to complete your retest by 14/09 otherwise you will have to put it through full test again.

Edit: your original expiry date is not extended, but you retest deadline date is ;)

Ya im not concerned about the actual test etc, my query is re insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Insurance companies are aware of the issue.

Check their website.

wonski wrote: »
    Insurance companies are aware of the issue.

Check their website.

Nothing on the website but eventually got through to a rep, no issue at all, im covered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

zg3409 wrote: »
    In terms of a car nearly 10 years old (2010 year on reg), I rang NCT as it is not covered in their FAQ. In the past if the car was 9 years 9 months old then you could do test more than 90 days early you would get 2 years rather than the one year that applies within 90 days of the ten year anniversary.

I was worried with the extra free 4 months, if you do the test more than 90 days before the new date, the car at that point will actually be over 10 years old on the test date, but the person on the phone said I would get a 2 year NCT as I was unable to test it recently due to covit. I am not 100% convinced "computer will say OK" but I am on a cancellation waiting list.
    In this case, I would just make sure to get it NCTed before it turns ten years old (say a few weeks beforehand to allow for possible retest) and as this will be more than 90 days before your new expiry date, you'll get the two year cert from the date of the test. Whatever someone says on the phone, I wouldn't risk leaving it go past its tenth anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Quick Question - does the NCT check the thread depth of a spare tyre??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

frosty123 wrote: »
    Quick Question - does the NCT check the thread depth of a spare tyre??

No, maybe, you won't fail on it.
    Defects in a spare wheel tyre should not be considered a reason for failure.

From NCT manual. It may be noted on the cert as a fail advisory

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭redunited

Im not sure I understand this,

My 16 Reg car is due for its first NCT 1st August.

However I cant book until October.

I checked the extension site and it says that my NCT is due 1st August, no mention of any extension.

Does anyone know what my Siutuation is?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭wassie

The FAQ on Resumption of NCTS and COVID-19 Requirements addresses this issue:
    Q53 - My vehicle was first registered on 1 August 2016 and will be due its first NCT on 1 August 2020, am I eligible for the extension?

No, the date of first registration generally sets the initial test due date for cars and subsequent tests are due on the anniversary of that date. Cars first registered on or after 1 August 2016 are not eligible for the 4 month extension. It is expected that the NCT service will have resumed full testing by end of July and therefore tests will be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

redunited wrote: »
    Im not sure I understand this,

My 16 Reg car is due for its first NCT 1st August.

However I cant book until October.

I checked the extension site and it says that my NCT is due 1st August, no mention of any extension.

Does anyone know what my Siutuation is?

Thanks

Our second car is due end of August however, NCT have extended current due date until December 31st, I only found out when checking site to book a test, it does alow me to book but its classified as an early test, quite bizzare. I'm surprised yours is not updated via the nct test. I'd advise calling them or email

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Our second car is due end of August however, NCT have extended current due date until December 31st, I only found out when checking site to book a test, it does alow me to book but its classified as an early test, quite bizzare. I'm surprised yours is not updated via the nct test. I'd advise calling them or email
    Only vehicles first registered on or before 31 July 2016 got the four-month extension, as long as they didn't have an outstanding NCT due on the date the NCT was suspended (apart from where lift inspections couldn't be carried out). Newer vehicles don't qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Quackster wrote: »
    Only vehicles first registered on or before 31 July 2016 got the four-month extension, as long as they didn't have an outstanding NCT due on the date the NCT was suspended (apart from where lift inspections couldn't be carried out). Newer vehicles don't qualify.

O, that explains it, it's originally UK but revregisted in Ireland year is 2009. Kind of surprising older cars getting extensions. I presume this means my current cert Disc is valid until December 31st, thanks for explanation

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭redunited

Just an update to my own quesition.

I rang NCT, they told me my first NCT was actually due 31st March but extended until 31st July.

I told them that this was news to me as I had received a text message from Revenue a ferw months aback informing me that my NCT was due 31st July, I never was informed about any previous dates.

Anyhow to cut a long story short I now have a NCT booked for 14th August. However the NCT person couldnt tell me if I could legally drive my 4 year old car for those 14 days I dont have NCT!

I also have an old 15 year old car that was due its NCT in July, however that has been extended to November, so it seems I can legaly drive around a 15 year old car with no NCT but not a 4 year old car with No NCT!

Dempo1 wrote: »
    O, that explains it, it's originally UK but revregisted in Ireland year is 2009. Kind of surprising older cars getting extensions. I presume this means my current cert Disc is valid until December 31st, thanks for explanation
    Yeah, current and future NCTs will be due on December 31st now, unless you get an early test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭wassie

As Dempo1 says, Gards will be pragmatic.

@redunited - You should check with your insurer just to cover yourself incase of accident. Insurers seem to be doing the right thing in relation to this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Yeah, current and future NCTs will be due on December 31st now, unless you get an early test.

How far before your new test date would constatute an early test?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

How far before your new test date would constatute an early test?
    It's as it always was so anything in excess of ninety days in advance of your new expiry date would constitute an early test.

Anyone with an 11 reg car should take note that if they get tested just before their old expiry date (tenth anniversary of the car), they'll get a two-year cert. So if your old expiry date was 1st January, book a test for the middle of December (to allow time for any possible retest).

Much better than waiting till your new expiry date and only getting a one-year cert as car is over ten years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

Are all NCT centres fully open and carrying out the full test on the same day now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Anyone with an 11 reg car should take note that if they get tested just before their old expiry date (tenth anniversary of the car), they'll get a two-year cert. So if your old expiry date was 1st January, book a test for the middle of December (to allow time for any possible retest).

Much better than waiting till your new expiry date and only getting a one-year cert as car is over ten years old.

This has to be done more than 90 days before the expiry date of the cert to get the two year test, don't ask me how I know...

This has to be done more than 90 days before the expiry date of the cert to get the two year test, don't ask me how I know...
    Yes, more than ninety days before the NEW expiry date AND before the tenth anniversary of the car.

As the new expiry date is now four months after the tenth anniversary of the car, then testing just before the tenth anniversary (is the OLD expiry date) satisfies both criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Apologies for being thick here but young lads 08 car was originally due to be tested in October 2020, when he puts his reg into the nct his new extended due date is February 14 2021.

There are dates available for him to book car in for test in October / November / December 2020 if he wishes, does it make any difference whether he opts for October 2020 or February 2021

When will his next nct be due after both dates above?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Apologies for being thick here but young lads 08 car was originally due to be tested in October 2020, when he puts his reg into the nct his new extended due date is February 14 2021.

There are dates available for him to book car in for test in October / November / December 2020 if he wishes, does it make any difference whether he opts for October 2020 or February 2021

When will his next nct be due after both dates above?

Thanks

Once it's within 90 days of 14th February 2021 he will get 1 year up to 14th February 2022. If he does it more than 90 to February 2021 he will get 1 year from the test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,402 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My local garage was able to get NCTs for cars due in June (for sale) but I have to wait until October

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    My local garage was able to get NCTs for cars due in June (for sale) but I have to wait until October

I booked an nct last night and got a time for tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

You just have to literally stay on the site and keep refreshing/changing location to try and get a cancellation.

Early morning, around 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon and around 11 or 12 at night seem to be the best times for updates

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Have a look around 9.30pm at night, that's when cancelled tests are returned to the pool, best time to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

does anyone know when they will start VRT'ing cars in Dublin again ? Sick to death of having to fill out the whole form to find there is no availability
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

RobAMerc wrote: »
    does anyone know when they will start VRT'ing cars in Dublin again ? Sick to death of having to fill out the whole form to find there is no availability
    thanks

VRT appointments have been open for the past month or so. You have to call them and book an appointment. I have one this week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement