Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

Either way you will have to undergo a full test since it is more than 30 days since the initial test, but should be charged at the retest fee of €28.

https://www.ncts.ie/faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Yeah. Was also wondering if you can test 12 weeks before the revised date and still get 12/24 months cert from the revised test date?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Did my test in north point this evening, was due in April, cancelled by nct in March, passed today, next test August 2022 !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some 15 test centres reopened last week and Applus, the company which operates the NCTS, says the
    remaining ones will be opening "towards the end of June and throughout the course of July".
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/all-nct-test-centres-reopening-in-ireland-1005562.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good stuff, gagging to pay my VRT (not!)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

slave1 wrote: »
    Good stuff, gagging to pay my VRT (not!)

Same here :o my daughter brought in a Fiat 500 and tried to book a vrt appointment yesterday. Website just says closed until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Skibbereen centre has advised my 26/6 NCT due date has been moved to October..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Got my first test done minus the lift on 22nd March , logged on earlier this week to book it , got a free retest spot in Drogheda for this morning , place was quiet , I arrived a bit early , they took the car in straight away , passed no hassle . Job done .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,950 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Curious as to what's the protocol here with extension of current NCT cert. I went onto their site yesterday, my NCT due to expire August, I was surprised to see its been extended to 31st December, I'm not complaining but that's a full 4 months, actually don't have to do it until Jan 2020.

I'm curious as to how Gardai will react at checkpoints, I've seen vehicles siezed on the Garda Traffic Twitter feed for NCT expired less than a month. Im assuming their mobility app or number recognition cameras will pick up new expiry dates etc?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

In current climate Garda are not impounding cars for NCT expired by a month but have been pragmatic. Generally there will be other issues as well (suspended licences, no motor tax, insurance etc). If you NCT was well overdue, that may be a different storey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭honda boi

Are people who passed the first part of the test back pre covid having to do a full test this time or is it only the lift test?
    I seen it states if you've travelled over 5k since the first part you have to have a full test but has any gone over the 5k and only had the lift test done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

honda boi wrote: »
    Are people who passed the first part of the test back pre covid having to do a full test this time or is it only the lift test?
    I seen it states if you've travelled over 5k since the first part you have to have a full test but has any gone over the 5k and only had the lift test done?
    I'd done over 4500 miles between tests - had a full test on return

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

I brought my car to Youghal NCT centre on the morning of the 28th March. The center didn't open that morning due to Covid-19 and to-date hasn't opened. My NCT has been extended by 4 months. Will I be notified of a new test date? I have tried to contact the NCT office but haven't had any success.

I brought my car to Youghal NCT centre on the morning of the 28th March. The center didn't open that morning due to Covid-19 and to-date hasn't opened. My NCT has been extended by 4 months. Will I be notified of a new test date? I have tried to contact the NCT office but haven't had any success.
    You likely won't get notification. Have you looked at availability in Littleisland?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Top Dog wrote:
    You likely won't get notification. Have you looked at availability in Littleisland?

How do I book another NCT center without having to make payment again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Tow

I brought my car to Youghal NCT centre on the morning of the 28th March. The center didn't open that morning due to Covid-19 and to-date hasn't opened

No, you will need to rebook. But as they breached their customers charter by not giving you 5 clear days notice you 'should' have a free test.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Do you get the full year or 2 years for newer cars from the new test date or is it taken from the original date?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Do you get the full year or 2 years for newer cars from the new test date or is it taken from the original date?

From the new test date.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

2 years from revised/new date if tested within 90 days of the revised/new test date. If you test earlier it will be due again 2 years from the old date. Same applies for those on a 1 year test cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how Gardai will react at checkpoints, I've seen vehicles siezed on the Garda Traffic Twitter feed for NCT expired less than a month. Im assuming their mobility app or number recognition cameras will pick up new expiry dates etc?

Your car has a valid NCT even if the paper on the window says it expired 4 months earlier. The new expiry dates are on the NCT system, so presumably all electronic systems will read that information. You could print out the page from the NCT website if you want belt and braces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I've seen vehicles siezed on the Garda Traffic Twitter feed for NCT expired less than a month.

If you have an example fire it up there :)

Surely there was something else as well - drink/drugs, bald tyres, no licence, no tax...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭honda boi

Car went for the test last Saturday in Mullingar.
    Passed. Test expires 30/10/20.
    I think if I went for the test 3 weeks later I could of got an extra year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

honda boi wrote: »
    Car went for the test last Saturday in Mullingar.
    Passed. Test expires 30/10/20.
    I think if I went for the test 3 weeks later I could of got an extra year.

What was the new extended date you had? Did you go before the extended date they gave you?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Had my test in March, passed bar the Lift test obviously. I have been unable to get a date yet for this to be done so what is the situation re my insurance? Also i just noticed on the NCT site now that it's saying Vehicle to be retested on or before Tuesday, September 15, 2020. :confused::confused::confused:
    Im confused about this. Apologies if this has been done to death but ive looked through the various threads and don't see an answer

Rockfish wrote: »
    Had my test in March, passed bar the Lift test obviously.
    When was the test due to expire?

Top Dog wrote: »
    When was the test due to expire?

March, before the 'exemption' was granted. Anyway i booked in online for a retest next week, (i couldnt find any option for just getting the lift test done, so i presume thats all will be done? As is was booking it, said it was free and ive since got confirmation email but saying i will be charged :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

When you get there make sure to tell them it's just a lift test. When I brought mine he was under the impression it was a full test until I gave him the partial cert.

sligojoek wrote: »
    When you get there make sure to tell them it's just a lift test. When I brought mine he was under the impression it was a full test until I gave him the partial cert.

Sound, that makes sense thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I NCT'ed a 2010 car last week, origionally i had missed the window for the 2 year cert, but COVID gave me an extension on the NCT and when i did it last week, i got the 2 year cert rather than the one year one i was expecting.

When i booked it, the website said it was a periodic test, rather than the early tets

• Advertisement

Rockfish wrote: »
    March, before the 'exemption' was granted. Anyway i booked in online for a retest next week, (i couldnt find any option for just getting the lift test done, so i presume thats all will be done? As is was booking it, said it was free and ive since got confirmation email but saying i will be charged :confused:
    You won't be charged. I was in a similar position to you, and when I presented for testing there was no charge. And I had to get a full retest due to the mileage I'd covered since the first partial test. Back for my re-retest (failed on front Bush and rear wheel width :o ) on the 20th so hopefully I'll finally get my cert then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement