Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yep. You get the full 12\24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

inforfun wrote: »
    Yep. You get the full 12\24 months.

Cheers. So its full 12 months from new test date (October) and not 12 months from original test date (June) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

My Nct was up in feb this year i signed it off the road then i have it booked in for new nct 22th of this month will i get the extension or will i get back dated . If i am going to get back dated i might leave it off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭wassie

Probably not at the sign off relates to Motor Tax, not NCTS afaik.

According to the resumption of NCTS and COVID-19 Requirements FAQ - found here: https://www.ncts.ie/media/1039/faqs-...ct-service.pdf

30. My car was declared off the road for tax purposes and the NCT certificate expired when it was off the road. Does the 4-month extension apply? If so, is the 4 months added to the end of the period which applied to the off the road declaration or the expiry date of the NCT certificate?

No, it does not apply – assuming that the test due date of the car was before 28 March 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

beauf wrote: »
    Pot luck. They don't make it easy so I've stopped trying.

Went online and booked no problem for June 28th in Ballymun. Plenty of availabiliity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

The end of February my next expired don't they say that if there isn't enough time for retest you are intitled to extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

homingbird wrote: »
    The end of February my next expired don't they say that if there isn't enough time for retest you are intitled to extension.

Why would you expect an extension?

Just put it through the test.

No, you don't get extension if there isn't enough time for retest.

You had enough time in theory ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Question guys..ive always brought my cars in 3 months early and got a 15 month test or 2 yrs 3 m8nths whatever the case maybe. My 12 car has its test pushed out till Dec. Could i book my car in for Oct and still get the extra 3 months even with the 4 month extension? Hope this makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Passed the lift test in ballina yesterday. In and out in 15minutes. The lads told me they are chuckka block not aided by a computer that keeps crashing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Now that NCT centres are reopening, Does anyone know if the Lift issue is resolved in the Galway centre ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭xtradel

Now that NCT centres are reopening, Does anyone know if the Lift issue is resolved in the Galway centre ?

Just back from getting my car done and full test was done.....and passed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nearly certain this was rectified before lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Had a test at the weekend and all was working fine. They only let four people into the waiting room so bring a coat/brolly to wait outside. No delays, very efficient service.

NCTS Resumption FAQ
    Q34. Are the lifts in my NCT centre working again

The repair and replacement of lifts is ongoing. All centres re-opening have functioning lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭obi604

My NCT is due in 2 weeks time.

With Corona, is everything just pushed out by 3/4 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

obi604 wrote: »

Check the website to see if your nearest one is open and book it if possible. Had mine due for retest the day they shut down. Local one is open again so I'm booked in for thr 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The following centres are open from the 8th June
     Cork – Little Island
     Cork – Blarney
     Northpoint 1 & 2, Dublin
     Deansgrange, Dublin
     Fonthill, Dublin
     Galway
     Limerick
     Waterford
     Letterkenny
     Athlone
     Ballina
     Naas
     Drogheda
     Derrybeg
    Please continue to check www.ncts.ie for further information and updates on the reopening of the remaining test centres which will also be on a phased basis.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Check the website to see if your nearest one is open and book it if possible. Had mine due for retest the day they shut down. Local one is open again so I'm booked in for thr 27th.

Checked website. Mine now due in November now. Don’t understand this line.

“ If you continue with a booking then a voluntary early test will apply.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You can check on their website. Just go to the option to check your test due date and enter your Reg.

I was due end of Apr but when I check I have a new test due date of Aug. So mine was pushed out 4 months.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Checked website. Mine now due in November now. Don’t understand this line.

“ If you continue with a booking then a voluntary early test will apply.”

Don't book until you are closer to your new test date.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Don't book until you are closer to your new test date.

“ If you continue with a booking then a voluntary early test will apply“

Does above line mean if I was to try and book it in now and got it booked, does it just mean I go through the NCT test and all good or something else.

“ If you continue with a booking then a voluntary early test will apply“

Does above line mean if I was to try and book it in now and got it booked, does it just mean I go through the NCT test and all good or something else.

The Minister gave 4 months grace for those who were unable to test because of lockdown. If you have a new test date for further out in the year, your new test will be valid for 12/24 months from that date.

Basically, if you have a pushed out date but decide to book in way in advance of that new date, your new cert will expire earlier than it needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Went for the lift test in Blarney yesterday. I already had the 4 month extension to August, but I wanted to get it out of the way as I already passed the rest of the test.

Things ran very smoothly. Everyone outside waiting next to their cars. Guy at the door making sure people keep their distance and queue properly.

The car was in and out in 5 minutes. Now I have a valid NCT until August 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Went for the lift test in Blarney yesterday. I already had the 4 month extension to August, but I wanted to get it out of the way as I already passed the rest of the test.

Things ran very smoothly. Everyone outside waiting next to their cars. Guy at the door making sure people keep their distance and queue properly.

The car was in and out in 5 minutes. Now I have a valid NCT until August 2021.

Just been at the Blarney centre today to pay VRT, was very busy but well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭MAYOMICK

My Nct expired on 04/03/2020 and the test with the exception of the lift test was carried on on that date.The car passed all aspects of that test but the lift test was not carried out before the centres closed as there was no lift in Westport.The test was completed in Ballina last week but I only got cert till 04/03/2021.I thought I should have got cert to 04/07/2021 but I did not notice date till I got home.If the lift test was done on 04/03 the car would have passed and I now would have a cert till July.Is there any point contacting Nct or is the cert date correct.

Cert date is correct. Extensions only applied to test dates due after 28/03.

The Minister gave 4 months grace for those who were unable to test because of lockdown. If you have a new test date for further out in the year, your new test will be valid for 12/24 months from that date.

Basically, if you have a pushed out date but decide to book in way in advance of that new date, your new cert will expire earlier than it needs to.

My garage told me that you don't get 12/24 months from new test date. It's from original test date. Where can I find this info to put it to bed one way or the other.

Its all on the NCT website.

https://www.ncts.ie/faq/

wassie wrote: »
    Its all on the NCT website.

Cheers. Must have been blind. Will look again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

My NCT was due on 29 May 2020. I went to Westport for test on 26 March. My car failed on two points and the lift inspection was not done.

I booked retest for 6 April but NCT centres were closed by then, so retest cancelled.

Now site shows NCT Due Date of 30 Sep 2020. Do I need to wait until at least 1 July 2020 for retest (that would be 90 days or 13 weeks before the due date)?

Will I still just be liable for retest fee of €28 or will I owe full fee?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement