Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Driver1980 wrote: »
    have you see the test? I saw it 5 times, suspension imbalance check only check imbalance not the play of other parts !!!

"Plus, it’s up to your friend to check his oil level at least weekly, not the nct lads."

You serious? it's their f8888 job to check it ! It even said on the NCT instructions "no emissions test should be done if there is no oil in the car". Why? they can burn the engine !

I have this experience where poor car passed and great didnt. And wont change my mind that nct is not testing the car properly. Suspension is most important all they do is imbalance for shocks and visual things with flash light.car i used to have passed with the big play on the wheel end of story .

Some will pass, some will fail.

Not sure what's your issue with the current test is, but passing it over to the garages, Polish/UK style, is not a solution.

If you have a big play on the wheel fix it regardless. This is a basic safety/regulatory test, not "all cars that pass the test are perfect" test.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Update from today:

NCTS will be opening test centres on a phased basis, subject to final approval from Government on Phase 2 of the Government’s Roadmap for reopening Society and Business proceeding. The safety of the public is paramount, and we continue to be guided by public health officials and relevant national experts. If information or guidance changes, we will reassess and change our procedures and protocols accordingly.

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its allowing booking at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Just booked for Galway on Monday coming.... Their was loads of availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭wassie

Booking made - refreshing to have so much choice of appointments.

Worth noting also in the FAQ - Customers of those vehicles that had a test due date prior to 28 March 2020 are now invited to make a booking for one of the following centres...

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. Anyone know how many NCT centres have their lifts sorted and available?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

If my appointment gets cancelled again I be mad.Hope car will be ok has been idle for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Bif wrote: »

https://www.ncts.ie/1115#:~:text=COVID%2019%20Update%3A%20NCTS%20to,the%20reopening%20of%2015%20centres

Depends on where you are, a few in Dublin by the looks of things and Galway, Monaghan and Cork.

They are still waiting for approval from the Government so who knows if they open Monday.Kind of shocked if they did as in May they said they wont be opening any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I just booked mine in for June 8th in Drogheda. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Bif wrote: »

Pot luck. They don't make it easy so I've stopped trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭ongarite

Mine is due this month but NCTS date says its really due Oct now.
    Any point doing it next week?
    Still going to end up with June 2022 NCT as expiry date for both I guess..

beauf wrote: »
    Pot luck. They don't make it easy so I've stopped trying.

all the centres reopening Monday have them fixed or were not broken

 Cork – Little Island
     Cork – Blarney
     Northpoint 1 & 2, Dublin
     Deansgrange, Dublin
     Fonthill, Dublin
     Galway
     Limerick
     Waterford
     Letterkenny
     Athlone
     Ballina
     Naas
     Drogheda
     Derrybeg

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

My NCT was due on April and now that I can book my NCT online it now says that my NCT is due on 18.08.2020. My NCT card on the window shows expiry of April but yet the nct place is telling me my nct expires on the 18th August 2020. Any-one else have this problem?

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭User1998

Its not a problem. There was a 4 month extension given.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My NCT was due on April and now that I can book my NCT online it now says that my NCT is due on 18.08.2020. My NCT card on the window shows expiry of April but yet the nct place is telling me my nct expires on the 18th August 2020. Any-one else have this problem?

It's not a problem. They've added 4 months on to the expiry date of any cars due after the 28th of March because the centres are closed. Mine was originally due last week, but it's been extended until September.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Press%20Office/FAQ%20Suspension%20of%20NCTS%2021%20April%202020b.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Ah thanks for that, I didn't hear of the extension, I must have been living under a rock. Thanks folks.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ongarite wrote: »
    Mine is due this month but NCTS date says its really due Oct now.
    Any point doing it next week?
    Still going to end up with June 2022 NCT as expiry date for both I guess..
    I'm in a similar boat, mine's now the end of November. I'm going to wait as there's always the possibility (hopefully not though) NCT testing might have to be suspended again in the autumn and we get a further extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Looking good for me. I passed the first phase in the first week in Feb. I put my reg in and my expiry is coming up as first week in July. Plenty of slots for the lift test in Ballina in the next 3 weeks. All I need is 2 rear tyres.

all the centres reopening Monday have them fixed or were not broken

 Cork – Little Island
     Cork – Blarney
     Northpoint 1 & 2, Dublin
     Deansgrange, Dublin
     Fonthill, Dublin
     Galway
     Limerick
     Waterford
     Letterkenny
     Athlone
     Ballina
     Naas
     Drogheda
     Derrybeg

That wasn't true the last time. Hopefully this time it is.

• Advertisement

Booked 19/06 in Naas. Plenty of appointments earlier than that, but want to see what happens first so I have a chance to rebook or run away :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mine was april 27th, now is august 27th.

Curious if i get the new nct till april 2022 or august 2022....
    My money is on april.

inforfun wrote: »

My money is on april.
    No, it will be until August 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

My money is on april.
    Nct is supposed to be the anniversary of first registration, so I'd say you're correct.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Nct is supposed to be the anniversary of first registration, so I'd say you're correct.

No, your next NCT disc expiry is dictated by the expiry of your current NCT disc (unless you get an early test) which has now been extended by four months.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Press%20Office/FAQ%20Suspension%20of%20NCTS%2028%20May%202020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭zg3409

My money is on april.

If you read the new PDF FAQ you can see it will be august 2022
    Does the extension apply to the current testing cycle only and will future test due dates revert to
    the anniversary of first registration?

The date is being permanently reset and anniversaries of the new date will be your car’s test due date going forward e.g. a vehicle with a test due date of 2 April 2020 will change to a test due date of 2 August 2020 and 2 August will be the car’s test due date in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

From another forum:

Something to keep an eye on here re the NCT which are due to recommence next Monday. If you book an NCT more than 90 days ahead of the new revised due date which was moved out 4 months you will only get a cert for 1 or 2 years depending on the age of your car from the date of the test ie losing most of the 4 months bonus.

cudsy1 wrote: »
    From another forum:

Something to keep an eye on here re the NCT which are due to recommence next Monday. If you book an NCT more than 90 days ahead of the new revised due date which was moved out 4 months you will only get a cert for 1 or 2 years depending on the age of your car from the date of the test ie losing most of the 4 months bonus.

Why would anyone even attempt this if their nct is not out of date.

Let's be serious here. Why would you even go there now???

Serious question BTW.

By you I don't mean you personally, just what kind of special you, meaning a person, have to be to go to nct now more than 90 days in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭User1998

Because half the country is probably scared sh*tless that there driving their car with no nct and don’t even know about the extension. Your on a motoring forum here so most of us will know about the extension but the general public not so much.

And lets be honest the threat of covid is so small now so don’t even use that as an excuse not to go. If I want to do my NCT now I’m not letting covid get in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Was waiting on underbody check, booked it today,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement