Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

User1998 wrote: »
    Because half the country is probably scared sh*tless that there driving their car with no nct and don’t even know about the extension. Your on a motoring forum here so most of us will know about the extension but the general public not so much.

And lets be honest the threat of covid is so small now so don’t even use that as an excuse not to go. If I want to do my NCT now I’m not letting covid get in the way.

Well given the situation I would definitely prioritise those whose nct is out of date, not those who just want to do it even if they don't have to.

When you log on to book the nct even if you are not aware of the extension, it will tell you what date your is to expire at which point you might realize you don't need to do it for another 4 months so don't tell me they wouldn't know, unless they can't read...

I better not get any more involved in it, because I might get a ban. Your opinion on low or high risk of covid19 doesn't matter. So doesn't mine. But there is no point to go there unless your nct is out. Out of courtesy for others if anything else.

I can go to supermarket with family of 6 if I want to to buy a bag of Taytos if I want, too. Doesn't make it right or even worth a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

wonski wrote: »
    Why would anyone even attempt this if their nct is not out of date.

Let's be serious here. Why would you even go there now???

Serious question BTW.

By you I don't mean you personally, just what kind of special you, meaning a person, have to be to go to nct now more than 90 days in advance?

Could be someone that wants to sell their car, you have a better chance selling it with a 2 year NCT instead of just 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

wonski wrote: »
    Why would anyone even attempt this if their nct is not out of date.

Let's be serious here. Why would you even go there now???

Serious question BTW.

By you I don't mean you personally, just what kind of special you, meaning a person, have to be to go to nct now more than 90 days in advance?

Can't say its all that risky now. If they were seeing hot spots in places like this they would have shut down shops and similar again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

User1998 wrote: »
    Because half the country is probably scared sh*tless that there driving their car with no nct and don’t even know about the extension.

When you go to book an NCT it tells you what your due date is when you put the reg in.

Anyway we were due late May, did the test in mid March and failed, had a retest booked which was cancelled when NCT was shut down. Got the four month extension to Sept and the website says the test due in Sept is a retest so won't be full fee. No point doing it now and anyway people who didn't get the extension need it more now. Will wait until August anyway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

mgn wrote: »
    Could be someone that wants to sell their car, you have a better chance selling it with a 2 year NCT instead of just 3 months.

That sound reasonable enough.

Not because I want and no covid will stop me as someone else suggested.

Its nothing to do with covid, it just makes sense to test those that are out now +vrt and the extension was put in place to at least avoid overbooking and just let it run gradually.

Ifbyou need it now do it. If you can wait, just wait. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭wassie

You should get on the phone to Dr Tony Holohan. He’ll be very glad to know that the virus can be “aired out” in a matter of minutes and if we just open all the windows in the country we can get back to normal much quicker.

Just off the big red phone with Tony. NCT is a big thumbs up and they don't need to use ozone machines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Be interesting to see what the expiry date on the new certs be. Will it be the new expiry date or old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭Tow

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what the expiry date on the new certs be. Will it be the new expiry date or old one?

Probably from when the date the old one expired. Anyway, booked for the 3rd time so in theory it should be free as they cancelled the previous two bookings. But no doubt they will say otherwise and I will end up paying.

4. Ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual test centre is less than three weeks and no greater than four weeks. The customer will be provided with a test free of charge where an appointment cannot be offered within a four week period provided that:

The test is not overdue by more than 7 days at the time of contacting NCTS

An appointment has not been offered at least 1 week prior to the test due date

The customer has not made specific requests regarding suitable days, times or dates

The customer has not declined or rearranged two or more appointments

The customer has not failed to attend an appointment

The customer has not previously accepted or requested an appointment outside of the four week period

The points noted above only apply when an appointment has not been offered within four weeks. There is no guarantee of a test appointment at short notice for cars overdue the test.

and
    13. If NCTS cancel a prearranged booking and do not give the owner of the vehicle 5 clear days’ notice, a new test appointment will be provided free of charge.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    If you had just read the previous page, you'll have noticed I posted a link which says:

5. Does the extension apply for all subsequent test due dates?
    Yes, the date is being permanently reset and will be your car’s new test due date in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

NCT booked there for 3 weeks time. Plan on selling car later this summer so full nct will be great to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

What centre did you book in with?

Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭acequion

The earliest I could get mine booked for is July 8th. Not ideal as my nct is out since the end of February and I'd have liked to get it done sooner but at least now I've it booked.

Sorry it’s July so 7 weeks time. Apologies for confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

The wording on the NCT website is a little confusing. Maybe someone here can clarify with regard to my situation.

"In the short term the roadworthiness testing of vehicles will be on a limited basis and restricted only to those vehicles that had a test due date prior to 28 March 2020 (before the 4-month extension to vehicle certificates of roadworthiness came into effect). This will include vehicle owners who were unable to secure a retest date because of the suspension of the service and those affected by the vehicle lifts issue."

My NCT was due on 11th April, but I booked an appointment way in advance in early March. I passed everything but had to return due to the lift issue.

Does the above mean that I can go for an NCT now because I was affected by the lift issue, even though I was given a 4 month extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Hi,

I check the nct site during the week and saw I could book a test so I did, my test was due the end of April so with extension it's due the end of August, I haven't done a half test already, after seeing this thread I see the tests are supposed to be for cars that were due before end of March, it wasn't was displayed when I booked the test, are they likely to cancel the test I booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I had my nct in February. It passed everything bar the undercarriage inspection due to the lifts issue. I just booked online again and got a slot f in Drogheda. I presume this will be just an inspection and not a full test again? The reason i ask is after my last NCT the passenger motor broke and with the whole pandemic haven't been able to source the part yet. Will they ding me for this on the restest do you think?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I had my nct in February. It passed everything bar the undercarriage inspection due to the lifts issue. I just booked online again and got a slot f in Drogheda. I presume this will be just an inspection and not a full test again? The reason i ask is after my last NCT the passenger motor broke and with the whole pandemic haven't been able to source the part yet. Will they ding me for this on the restest do you think?:)

If I recall passenger window motor isn't a fail, only drivers side is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

For anyone waiting on VRT.
    3. I had an appointment scheduled, but it has now been cancelled, do I need to re-schedule?

Yes, as soon as NCT re-opens for appointments customers should make contact to make a new appointment.

Resumption of NCTS and COVID-19 Requirements FAQ - found here: https://www.ncts.ie/media/1039/faqs-resumption-of-nct-service.pdf

• Advertisement

Pops_20 wrote: »
    The wording on the NCT website is a little confusing. Maybe someone here can clarify with regard to my situation.

"In the short term the roadworthiness testing of vehicles will be on a limited basis and restricted only to those vehicles that had a test due date prior to 28 March 2020 (before the 4-month extension to vehicle certificates of roadworthiness came into effect). This will include vehicle owners who were unable to secure a retest date because of the suspension of the service and those affected by the vehicle lifts issue."

My NCT was due on 11th April, but I booked an appointment way in advance in early March. I passed everything but had to return due to the lift issue.

Does the above mean that I can go for an NCT now because I was affected by the lift issue, even though I was given a 4 month extension?

Yes you can go for NCT now - but if you do so, it is my understanding you are effectively now going early, so your new NCT certificate will reflect 11 April, not the 4 month extended date.

Or you can wait and go later on, in line with your extension, but "if your vehicle has travelled more than 5000km since the partial test, it will also be subjected to a brake and suspension test in addition to the underbody inspection."

This is just my opinion - suggest you contact NCTS to confirm. Check out the NCTS FAQ in my post above.
    ml100 wrote: »
    I check the nct site during the week and saw I could book a test so I did, my test was due the end of April so with extension it's due the end of August, I haven't done a half test already, after seeing this thread I see the tests are supposed to be for cars that were due before end of March, it wasn't was displayed when I booked the test, are they likely to cancel the test I booked?

Probably won't cancel, but you wont get the 4 month extension on your new NCT certificate if you pass as you are effectively now going early. If they do cancel, perhaps you could let the forum know.

No I dont think so - you are not required to do a retest as you passed. You have a partial test. From NCTS FAQ in my previous post above:
    36. I had a partial test before shutdown due to the lifts issue. Can I book to have the underbody inspection only completed?

Please check the NCTS and RSA websites for updates in relation to resumption of services in your area as some centres resume operations from the 8th June. If your vehicle has travelled more than 5000km since the partial test, it will also be subjected to a brake and suspension test in addition to the underbody inspection. If you have already paid for your test, this test will be free of charge. You should book online at www.ncts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

I passed today and its NCT is now due two years time at the extended date.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0606/1145862-resumption-nct-covid/
    Title amended to show openings

Reopening 8th June:

Cork - Little Island
    Cork – Blarney
    Northpoint 1 & 2, Dublin
    Deansgrange, Dublin
    Fonthill, Dublin
    Galway
    Limerick
    Waterford
    Letterkenny
    Athlone
    Ballina
    Naas
    Drogheda
    Derrybeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Just booked in for my free retest on 20th June. Pretty sure I've well exceeded 3000km since the first partial test was done, so probably a full test for me. Oh well.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, every vehicle has received the four-month extension except the small percentage that had outstanding NCTs due on the 29th March last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

What was the NCT centre like? Can you stay in the waiting area while the car is being tested? Do the NCT staff have to wear masks, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

What was the NCT centre like? Can you stay in the waiting area while the car is being tested? Do the NCT staff have to wear masks, etc.?

Rules were a bit all over the place maybe better tomorrow.One girl was paying by cash.Keys were taken in the reception too.Had to wait outside as two people sitting on either side of four chairs.No masks on staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

wassie wrote: »

Please check the NCTS and RSA websites for updates in relation to resumption of services in your area as some centres resume operations from the 8th June. If your vehicle has travelled more than 5000km since the partial test, it will also be subjected to a brake and suspension test in addition to the underbody inspection. If you have already paid for your test, this test will be free of charge. You should book online at www.ncts.ie[/I][/COLOR]
    [/INDENT]

Thanks for that....I've done > 5000K unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Went smooth enough at Fonthill today, not too busy. Instead of going to the advice desk, you meet the tester at your car. Signs up for card payments only, but they took cash for a windscreen holder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi.

Quick question. The cvrt is extended for 3 months. Mine was due in June, now September. If I test it in September it will be valid until September 2021.

My car was due in June, now October. When will the next test be due. June or October 2021?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement