Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Going by the current trends in the pandemic, there is no chance everything will resume to normal on the 1st April, so we will remain in some type of lockdown well into the year even if it isn't at full level 5, many sectors of society are going to remain closed. Leo has said as much on numerous occasions for businesses to take it for granted they're going to be locked down until at least the end of March.

And with only the larger supply of the vaccine(s) coming on stream from Q2 as confirmed by the EU today I don't see how they will be able to terminate the PUP & EWSS on the 31st March. I know they have the resources in place to be able to support these payments until the end of the year.

I'm just wondering has anyone gained any further insight with regards to this?
    TIA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Going by the current trends in the pandemic, there is no chance everything will resume to normal on the 1st April, so we will remain in some type of lockdown well into the year even if it isn't at full level 5, many sectors of society are going to remain closed. Leo has said as much on numerous occasions for businesses to take it for granted they're going to be locked down until at least the end of March.

And with only the larger supply of the vaccine(s) coming on stream from Q2 as confirmed by the EU today I don't see how they will be able to terminate the PUP & EWSS on the 31st March. I know they have the resources in place to be able to support these payments until the end of the year.

I'm just wondering has anyone gained any further insight with regards to this?
    TIA :)

It's a safe bet not a word will be said about PUP by government until the very, very last minute. It's a mess generally with case numbers and deaths at shocking levels. Vaccine role out is certainly positive news but even that's proving challenging.

I'd hazard a guess hospitality in particular will be slow to reopen or return to viable levels (this sector permanently damaged or at the very least business model utterly changed.

Retail is also in serious trouble, I can't ever see it returning to what it was, vast sways of consumers have moved online and its doubtful they'll ever return in big numbers back to high street.

True, some sectors not affected much but I predict unemployment will remain stubbornly high for quite some time. PUP will certainly be reviewed, what will be proposed is an open question but reviewed, I predict it will be and almost certainly reviewed downwards. There's going to be a regrettable point were many on PUP will be forced onto JSA/JSB.

Grim predictions I know but alot of economic damage has Been done, I'm not sure many realise how much.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's a safe bet not a word will be said about PUP by government until the very, very last minute. It's a mess generally with case numbers and deaths at shocking levels. Vaccine role out is certainly positive news but even that's proving challenging.

I'd hazard a guess hospitality in particular will be slow to reopen or return to viable levels (this sector permanently damaged or at the very least business model utterly changed.

Retail is also in serious trouble, I can't ever see it returning to what it was, vast sways of consumers have moved online and its doubtful they'll ever return in big numbers back to high street.

True, some sectors not affected much but I predict unemployment will remain stubbornly high for quite some time. PUP will certainly be reviewed, what will be proposed is an open question but reviewed, I predict it will be and almost certainly reviewed downwards. There's going to be a regrettable point were many on PUP will be forced onto JSA/JSB.

Grim predictions I know but alot of economic damage has Been done, I'm not sure many realise how much.

Cheers for your candid response, I agree completely, I think the real effects of the pandemic have yet to be felt, I can see massive levels of unemployment with so many businesses basically not being able to remain as they were closed for far too long and could no longer support the costs.

I would think as the Government is the one in the driving seat right now forcing these shut downs ... the PUP & EWSS will be extended until further in the year ... maybe June 30th or something like that - I think it will be a case of them weighting up when the majority of citizens will be vaccinated and then leaving it all to basically pan out ... so there will basically be a breaking point where if your industry is still effected badly, you'll have no choice but to move onto JB / JSA!
    What was and what will be after the pandemic will be very different and there is going to be casualties .. where either they need to adapt or perish, currently the Government is holding a lot of things above water with the supports but once these cease the real picture is going to be seen!

I'm sure it will be March before talk of it starts in the Dail!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

PUP needs to be hit on the head by end of March. We need construction back, retail open, hospitality open.
    The country cannot sustain this drip feed of cash to couch day time tv sloungers. June 30th extension on pup you’re extracting the urine there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nervous about the tax bills coming out this week

Could be very high, €1000-€1500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

Cerveza wrote: »
    PUP needs to be hit on the head by end of March. We need construction back, retail open, hospitality open.
    The country cannot sustain this drip feed of cash to couch day time tv sloungers. June 30th extension on pup you’re extracting the urine there.

PUP only gets awarded to people who have, through no fault of their own, found themselves with no work, before they went on PUP they would have been taxpayers and indeed will end up paying tax on their PUP earnings.

I would dearly love for the Hospitality section to open up and return to normal,maybe I can then drag myself up off this couch as my arse is getting sore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

PTH2009 wrote: »

Should it be this high? I was thinking more about a max of around 450.

20% of 350 = 70. 70 - Tax credit of 63 = €7 per week tax. Throw in a little PRSI and USC, so maybe €10 per week.

If you dont have standard tax credits/standard rate it could be different of course. And it gets a little more detailed if you went off PUP and came back on, or if you were on Week 1 tax when you went back to work, but in my head I'm still not seeing it reach those heights. And some people will be due refunds too.

Taxbae will get you some tax back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

PTH2009 wrote: »

I am a little nervous about the tax element. On pup off pup then back on then back off and now on again.
    I had been putting aside some of it anyway so hoping I’ve it covered. Been on week one basic since we returned to work initially in July.

I only work part time so I’d rather be able to clear what I owe than have a reduction weekly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭head82

I can't argue with any of your predictions Dempo1. However I would like to offer my own take on why I believe the Government might be reluctant to reduce the current PUP levels to JSB/JSA levels at some stage.

Should they decide to do so, then they can't deny an employees right to claim redundancy (which is currently on hold/deferred).

If PUP rates are reduced to JSB/JSA levels, I would expect an onslaught of redundancy claims which could potentially result in insolvency of the business involved. The knock-on effect would result in statutary redundancy payments having to be covered by the Social Welfare fund. I can't even begin to imagine how much that would amount to but I suspect it would be something that would rather be avoided by the powers that be.

head82 wrote: »
    I can't argue with any of your predictions Dempo1. However I would like to offer my own take on why I believe the Government might be reluctant to reduce the current PUP levels to JSB/JSA levels at some stage.

Should they decide to do so, then they can't deny an employees right to claim redundancy (which is currently on hold/deferred).

If PUP rates are reduced to JSB/JSA levels, I would expect an onslaught of redundancy claims which could potentially result in insolvency of the business involved. The knock-on effect would result in statutary redundancy payments having to be covered by the Social Welfare fund. I can't even begin to imagine how much that would amount to but I suspect it would be something that would rather be avoided by the powers that be.

Excellent point, I'd forgotten about the redundancy issue and your correct, there'll be an avalanche of claims.

Cerveza wrote: »

Charming but of course ill informed nonsense. You really need to read up on what PUP is and perhaps search other threads fermenting SW bashing.

Of course we all want the economy to reopen but the harsh reality is certain sectors will take months if not longer to recover, if at at all. Let's also not forget the 1000"s of self employed on PUP and they can expect an even longer time to recover.

I noticed your follow up post re tax back, sudden CONCERN? for those on PUP? how gracious of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

brianomc wrote: »
    Should it be this high? I was thinking more about a max of around 450.

20% of 350 = 70. 70 - Tax credit of 63 = €7 per week tax. Throw in a little PRSI and USC, so maybe €10 per week.

If you dont have standard tax credits/standard rate it could be different of course. And it gets a little more detailed if you went off PUP and came back on, or if you were on Week 1 tax when you went back to work, but in my head I'm still not seeing it reach those heights. And some people will be due refunds too.

People on TWSS will have had tax from Jan-Mar refunded to them. So add on 5 months at 350 per week at 20% plus usc and prsi and you're looking at owing a lot more that 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

tina1040 wrote: »
    People on TWSS will have had tax from Jan-Mar refunded to them. So add on 5 months at 350 per week at 20% plus usc and prsi and you're looking at owing a lot more that 450.

I forgot about the TWSS people, only had the PUP in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Friend of mine received how much she owes back. I work with her and we where on TWSS. Her tax owed back 1100 €. I'm absoluty bricking it now.. I know you have 4 years but hate the thought owing something. So, I think. I'll just pay lump sum and forget about it.

Anyone else got theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If your on PUP, thats a max of 350 per week. If you earned that over 52 weeks, that's €18,200, presuming you have tax credits of €3300, your looking at a PAYE liability of €340 plus USC of €184.

I wouldn't pay it off in a lump sum, reduce down your tax credits for 4 years, you won't even miss it. Its interest free, that money is better off in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Why would you pay it off early?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

mea_k wrote: »
    Friend of mine received how much she owes back. I work with her and we where on TWSS. Her tax owed back 1100 €. I'm absoluty bricking it now.. I know you have 4 years but hate the thought owing something. So, I think. I'll just pay lump sum and forget about it.

Anyone else got theirs?

Sounds like shes due a tax rebate going by that statement?

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Sounds like shes due a tax rebate going by that statement?

Taxbae will sort her out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

No that is what she owes. Thanks for answers. As I said I hate owing money. But will do it over 4 years so.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

i hope this is the right place to ask and apologies if it has been asked before;
    if someone has been diagnosed with covid (have the cert from doctor) can they claim the covid payment and continue to work and the employer top up the payment? or can it only be claimed where the employee cant work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's an unemployment payment or an illness benefit, why would you qualify for either of you're still working?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

good point, i never thought of that
    however with the oridinary illness benefit some ones pay can be topped up (it may be in their employment contract that they will be paid the fill wages during sick leave) i was wondering if COVID-19 enhanced Illness Benefit was the same

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It's an unemployment payment or an illness benefit, why would you qualify for either of you're still working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Anybody waiting ages for this/

Applied a week ago. Still awaiting review it says.

Anybody waiting ages for this/

Applied a week ago. Still awaiting review it says.

What are you waiting for? PUP or enhanced illness benefit?

duffysfarm wrote: »
    i hope this is the right place to ask and apologies if it has been asked before;
    if someone has been diagnosed with covid (have the cert from doctor) can they claim the covid payment and continue to work and the employer top up the payment? or can it only be claimed where the employee cant work?

Confusing question, the reason why you get enhanced illness benefit is to facilitate you NOT working (self isolate), the top payment your referring too has nothing to do with PUP or EIB, that's the EWSS scheme which employers apply for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

What are you waiting for? PUP or enhanced illness benefit?

PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

PUP.

What day did you apply? I applied online last thurs and was in my account on tues. apparently the applications are processed on fridays and money in account following tues.

• Advertisement

PUP.

OK, you missed payment this week but I'm sure you'll be OK for next. Ignore under review, the portal very slow to update, There's no notification unless they require add info. No news is good news.

Advertisement