Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy (8) dies after dog attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Perhaps if crime wasn’t a way of life for many in this country, with free legal for life for all criminals at the taxpayers expense and the well
    learned formula for getting suspended sentences learned by heart by the dregs and their conscience free solicitors the perhaps people wouldn’t feel the need to keep big gaurd dogs in their businesses and detatched
    homes, however well trained. The issue here is not the brokenhearted family but the broken criminal justice system that has families living in fear and people feeling the need to have big dogs to gaurd their homes and businesses because We all know the courts, judges and legal syatem are not doing it.

God help this poor boys family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Perhaps if crime wasn’t a way of life for many in this country, with free legal for life for all criminals at the taxpayers expense and the well
    learned formula for getting suspended sentences learned by heart by the dregs and their conscience free solicitors the perhaps people wouldn’t feel the need to keep big gaurd dogs in their businesses and detatched
    homes, however well trained. The issue here is not the brokenhearted family but the broken criminal justice system that has families living in fear and people feeling the need to have big dogs to gaurd their homes and businesses because We all know the courts, judges and legal syatem are not doing it.

I get what your saying, but the dogs were alone with the child. That should never have happened.
    The living area (house & gardens) should be such that the child had no access to the dogs. There's no point trying to blame everyone other than the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

From my experience it's the criminals that own dogs for protection or to try and look hard. But really it just causes danger for others.

Cockapoos will. Soon enough. If you ever do see a golden cocker spaniel in rescue, chances are they won't rehome to a home with children. Not even older kids. Most reputable rescues have a policy of only rehoming when kids are a certain age. And then you see the ones that say "adult home only".

GSDs are on the RB list and as such are subjected to the muzzle/short leash/over 16s walking laws. GSDs are fabulous dogs, I personally have never met an aggressive one. I used to foster for a rescue that would take dogs from the pound and any GSDs that they took out came to me either from the pound or vets (usually to recover from neutering) for a while before being moved to a GSD specific rescue in Northern Ireland, where they are not subject to any BSL.
    At one point a rescue GSD had a litter of pups here. She still comes to visit with one of her pups that the new owners kept. Both have fabulous temperaments, despite the mother being dumped in the pound while in pup.

I wanted a GSD, lovely dog but what put me off was the nature of the dog. Very loyal and family orientated. In general they would protect you with their life. Again it's the size & power of these dogs has them on this list. If one sensed you were in danger they would protect (attack). I didn't want a dog that I couldn't have off lead in a park, or having to be muzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The dog owners failed in their duty of care to an eight year old boy. They should be prosecuted for manslaughter as an example to all the other dog owners who think that they are not responsible for their dog's actions.

• Advertisement

The dog owners failed in their duty of care to an eight year old boy. They should be prosecuted for manslaughter as an example to all the other dog owners who think that they are not responsible for their dog's actions.

I think the parents will be on a virtual prison for the rest of their lives. Yes indeed a prosecution should ensue as a matter of course, and as an example to others involved with such dogs to make it their duty of care to always keep such dogs separate from children etc. In this case it’s likely the judge would suspend any jail sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

This thread went as I expected. Obviously how a dog is raised has a huge effect on their behaviour. But if you selectively breed a dog for generations to be aggressive, tenacious and have massive bite strength there’s always a chance. Cuddles and training can always be overridden and if it’s a husky, he runs 10km and gets lost. If it’s a Yorkie, it pisses itself at it’s own shadow. If it’s a rottie, well.
    And I’m not ****ting on the breed or anyone who owns them. It’s a matter of genetics and breeding. They’re fine dogs and their owners for the most part love them and raise them properly. But the chance is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

If you leave a child alone with a dog your a ****in idiot.

No children should be near dogs unsupervised.

If you have dangerous breeds of dogs get rid of them if you have young children.

Its not fecking rocket science.

People saying if their brought up correctly all dogs are fine? I know a family who's mother is a teacher and father is an engineer or something in ESB and their 19 year old son was the biggest scumbag going and knifed someone to death.

Ah sure its all how their brought up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Gerry T wrote: »
    I wanted a GSD, lovely dog but what put me off was the nature of the dog. Very loyal and family orientated. In general they would protect you with their life. Again it's the size & power of these dogs has them on this list. If one sensed you were in danger they would protect (attack). I didn't want a dog that I couldn't have off lead in a park, or having to be muzzled.

You shouldn't have your dog off the lead in a park full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Augme

Gardai going to examine the CCTV
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-to-examine-cctv-footage-of-fatal-dog-attack-that-claimed-life-of-boy-8-39070683.html

Seems one dog turned for whatever reason and the other followed.

Genuinely feel sorry for anyone who would have to watch that CCTV footage. That not something that can be unwatched easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Their temperament is no more dangerous.

Horsesh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

lawred2 wrote: »
    Horsesh*t

Yeah. I cut them some slack because that’s what they’ve been bred for. But it’s revisionist nonsense to suggest they don’t have an aggressive streak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

"My dog's not like that"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ok I'm on my phone. Sad to hear the boy was killed by the dog attack. Where is the COVID-19 connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Had this recently in Corkagh park. My children rolling around the hill when out of nowhere a GSD comes up and is standing over the three year old, her body almost under the 4 legs. Child was terrified even though the dog just wanted to play. Owner comes up, "Ah she's grand, she wouldn't hurt anyone." I went through him, off lead , no muzzle. I have used the story of this boy to drive home to the kids not to stray too far from me in the park. I carry a pocket knife when going to the park solely to be able to cut a dog if it had a grip on one of my children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Had this recently in Corkagh park. My children rolling around the hill when out of nowhere a GSD comes up and is standing over the three year old, her body almost under the 4 legs. Child was terrified even though she just wanted to play. Owner comes up, "Ah she's grand, she wouldn't hurt anyone." I went through him, off lead , no muzzle. I have used the story of this boy to drive home to the kids not to stray too far from me in the park. I carry a pocket knife when going to the park solely to be able to cut a dog if it had a grip on one of my children.

This is the problem, the owner isn't usually on the receiving end when they finally learn that they were wrong about their dog all along, it's usually a poor child, often someone else's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I've had many dogs over my life, one a mongrel had a vicious streak........I currently have a cockapoo

A cockapoo isn't a breed, its also a mongrel.

I find it difficult to respect the opinion of a "cockapoo" owner when discussing dogs, they fit perfectly into the "buy from backstreet breeder regardless of animal welfare" category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Had this recently in Corkagh park. My children rolling around the hill when out of nowhere a GSD comes up and is standing over the three year old, her body almost under the 4 legs. Child was terrified even though she just wanted to play. Owner comes up, "Ah she's grand, she wouldn't hurt anyone." I went through him, off lead , no muzzle. I have used the story of this boy to drive home to the kids not to stray too far from me in the park. I carry a pocket knife when going to the park solely to be able to cut a dog if it had a grip on one of my children.

If you are stopped and searched by a guard what’s your excuse for carrying a knife?
    “It’s for cutting dogs in the park”
    Good luck explaining that one

Bushy park, dogs allowed off lead before 11am and the last hr before closing. But if your dog needs to be on a lead or muzzled by law then that takes priority.
    Personally I only let him off lead mon to fri and before 10am on sat/sun beacuse of kids field sports.
    Not all parks are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Large dogs + small child = disaster. At least when unsupervised.

I personally wouldn't let any kid that age alone with any dog, to young, immature to be responsible.

I'm not going to condemn the breed, but these are large powerful dogs capable of taking down an adult with ease never mind a child.

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote:
    A cockapoo isn't a breed, its also a mongrel.
    Technicality. I never said it was a breed.
    Hoboo wrote:
    I find it difficult to respect the opinion of a "cockapoo" owner when discussing dogs, they fit perfectly into the "buy from backstreet breeder regardless of animal welfare" category.
    and you know that beacuse ?? Theres cockapoo owners clubs which work with breeders.
    Different topic and I'm sure its talked to death, but please do back up your claim that cockapoo owners don't care much about animal welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

DrPhilG wrote:
    Tackle the real cause (bad owners) rather than trying to wipe out certain breeds based on ignorance.
    Civilised countries and/or local authorities for example require mandatory muzzle in public areas. Also, mandatory registration and then mandatory training should be required for the let's say "more problematic breeds".

Outright bans doesn't work. It's the same with other things - controlling and regulating is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Technicality. I never said it was a breed.

and you know that beacuse ?? Theres cockapoo owners clubs which work with breeders.
    Different topic and I'm sure its talked to death, but please do back up your claim that cockapoo owners don't care much about animal welfare.

"Technically" youre contradicting yourself...you don't call it a breed but you deal with "breeders". Then don't call it a cockapoo. Call it a mongrel the same as your other mongrel. Which it is.

The rest just backs up my statement, it's a club which supports cross breeding, to invent a new breed to sell at extortionate prices to whoever wants the latest cute puppy, once they have the money. I have no doubt owners love and look after their dogs, but supporting such practices ****s in the face of the animal welfare struggle.

Hoboo wrote: »
    "Technically" youre contradicting yourself...you don't call it a breed but you deal with "breeders". Then don't call it a cockapoo. Call it a mongrel the same as your other mongrel. Which it is.

The rest just backs up my statement, it's a club which supports cross breeding, to invent a new breed to sell at extortionate prices to whoever wants the latest cute puppy, once they have the money. I have no doubt owners love and look after their dogs, but supporting such practices ****s in the face of the animal welfare struggle.

Every dog in the world was cross bred and then inbred at some stage to form today’s “breeds”.
    What’s the problem.once the dogs are looked after what’s the issue?
    Look at the bulldogs.surely the greatest contradiction of a breed ever.ai,sections.how natural is that?a genetic mess created by man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

as to why people wish to own dog breeds which were bred for strength and ferocity; people get pugs and chihuahuas because they think they are cute and silly and while chihuahuas are super agro, theyre too small to do real damage. People get rottweilers and pitbulls largely because they look intimidating (the people in this story certainly did). It's a cultural thing, a status thing. I'd hazard a guess there are far more restricted breeds in Clondalkin, Finglas and Ballyfermot than in Malahide, Sandymount and Dalkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

It sounded very much like these owners were raising their dogs to be guard dogs in some way (i've no evidence of this so i'm probably talking out my arse) but it leads me to think why anyone would want a "guard dog", just look after your house and get an alarm installed, why the fck do you want to put a brute dog out the back garden and risk a mess like that?

My mother's dog is a labrador/staffy, and you couldn't make him a guard dog if you tried at his age. Every stranger that ever comes to the door or the back gate has been met by a bark at first, then a sniff and a lick, then curiously following the stranger. (I bring the dogs in/out at the visitor's request if asked, obviously).

My point is if you're gonna get a dog, train it to be the family pet, not a potential killer. Some owners wear that idea as a badge of honour and I don't understand it. Why would ya want to show off that you have an angry dog? "Don't mess with me", is that it? You trying to compensate for something?

I'm gonna end up going off on a rant lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

the bile snd hatred on this thread is just shocking. As for the number of people who are happy to attack snd hurt a dog or the evil freaks who say they carry knives to stick in a dog when they ate out.There truly are monsters among us.

Those who are happy to hurt and injure animals are the ones that flare ted rights in psychologists reports, and it is the standard item that is reported in every murder and abuse story - known to have ihurt/tortured and been cruel to animals.Figurres.There are frightening people out there full of hatred and rage and ignorance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

the bile snd hatred on this thread is just shocking. As for the number of people who are happy to attack snd hurt a dog or the evil freaks who say they carry knives to stick in a dog when they ate out.There truly are monsters among us.

Those who are happy to hurt and injure animals are the ones that flare ted rights in psychologists reports, and it is the standard item that is reported in every murder and abuse story - known to have ihurt/tortured and been cruel to animals.Figurres.There are frightening people out there full of hatred and rage and ignorance.

No one is happy to have to hurt a dog but we all know there are dogs happy to hurt a child or other person and having sensible means to defend them is important.

No one is happy to have to hurt a dog but we all know there are dogs happy to hurt a child or other person and having sensible means to defend them is important.

There is absolutely nothing sensible about carrying a knife.only a cross between a drama queen and Rambo would think that was a good idea.an idiotic fool best avoided

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

If you are stopped and searched by a guard what’s your excuse for carrying a knife?
    “It’s for cutting dogs in the park”
    Good luck explaining that one

I'll take that risk as long as there are asshats in this world who walk their dogs unnmuzzled in parks.

Advertisement