Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy (8) dies after dog attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

June 2019: Heartbroken woman describes how her dog Teddy was ‘ripped apart’ during savage attack on Dublin beach
    https://www.irishpost.com/news/heartbroken-woman-describes-dog-teddy-ripped-apart-savage-attack-dublin-beach-168243
    Pitbulls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Some 12 year olds would be responsible enough to drive cars, some wouldn't.

By that sparkling logic, we should ban all cars.

protection of property more considered than that of their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Okay this has gotten too dumb for me to continue. Have a nice night and I really hope people who get potentially vicious animals like pitbulls reconsider the often deadly risk they are taking, usually on other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

I know a farmer down the road from us blew the head off two Rottweiler dogs that got into his back garden through his farm yard. Think they had killed 4 ewes of his a few days previous to that.

He had 3 small boys at the time.

The dogs had no muzzles, leads or anything, extremely aggressive and wild and he often said if any of his boys had of been in the garden at the time, the dogs would have destroyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Okay this has gotten too dumb for me to continue.

Fair play. Admitting it is the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Limpy wrote: »
    If a dog leaves its garden and attacks you on a public road can you sue the owner?

Example: a garden gate is left open and the dog attacks you as you walk jog past.
    Yes, it's up to the owner to keep them under control. if they damage your car you can also claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

In general I find that it's never a good idea to tell another person to "calm down" on the internet or talk about their emotional wellbeing. You don't know how calm or uncalm they are, you're just reading their messages. You also don't know if they're taking it "very personally". Speculation like that on their emotional investment is both patronizing and unhelpful.
    Yep. Can't stand that approach at times. It's not always inappropriate in fairness but it can be used just to ridicule away someone's points rather than just opting to engage with them.

Do people think dogs are blank slates and that there are no even slight differences between the natures of the breeds? Genuine question as I'm not knowledgeable about canine behaviour. And I know of course that their environment will shape them mostly. But I personally find it hard to fathom that there aren't breeds that are innately a little more aggressive and would act differently in a situation of e.g. danger, or becoming irritated by a toddler annoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I have never known a vicious Rottie

Beautiful dogs, used to be called the Nanny dog as in Peter Pan.

Absolutely heartbreaking

Rip Little man.

The only dogs I have ever been bitten by are jack Russell's, vicious little things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

How many more times is this going to happen? It has already happened too many times. Horrific death for that poor little boy. May he Rest In Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yep. Can't stand that approach at times. It's not always inappropriate in fairness but it can be used just to ridicule away someone's points rather than just opting to engage with them.

Do people think dogs are blank slates and that there are no even slight differences between the natures of the breeds? Genuine question as I'm not knowledgeable about canine behaviour. And I know of course that their environment will shape them mostly. But I personally find it hard to fathom that there aren't breeds that are innately a little more aggressive and would act differently in a situation of e.g. danger, or becoming irritated by a toddler annoying them.

Of course there are enormous differences between breeds, in both temperament and in physical characteristics, for instance even a vicious shih-tzu is far less of a hazard than a vicious Rottweiler.

But certain people lose any rationality when their pet comes up and resort to throwing around glib non-sequitars about banning labra-doodles because they can link an article about one attacking someone. Funny you don't see many of them as guard dogs if they're just as dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Doggy people place far too much faith in their dogs.
    For example leaving a t i ny new baby in a room with a large dog. Its completely nuts.
    Even if the dog was to play with the child to the level it would with a similar sized dog, it would kill the child yet owners believe the dog understands the rights and wrongs of these things.
    Crazy people.

Most aggressive towards (human) strangers: Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, Yorkshire Terriers and Poodles

Most aggressive towards their owners: Basset Hound, Beagle, Chihuahua, American Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund, English Springer Spaniel and Jack Russell Terrier (none of which are restricted in Ireland)

Most aggressive towards other dogs: Akita, Boxer, Australian Cattle Dog, German Shepherd, Pit Bull, Chihuahua, Dachshund, English Springer Spaniel, Jack Russell Terrier and West Highland White Terrier

Source: http://140.122.143.143/yuyinghs/yuyinghsu/papers/DuffyHsuSerpell2008.pdf

https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-thejournal-ie-dangerous-dogs-restricted-breeds-2775130-May2016/

Dog bite stats are often misleading. People don't report dogs which aren't restricted anywhere near as often as they do when they're on the list. The only Irish study of its kind, found that collies were miles out in front in terms of actual bites. But they are also miles out in front in terms of ownership.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

All dog's unless under control should have a muzzle. Under control meaning no chance they can bite someone. Accomplished by having them locked in a secure area. Any owner of a dog that attacks a person with no muzzel should be found responsible. The owner would be determined when the dog is registered. If the dog is not registered then sadly he will have to be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

mickdw wrote: »
    Doggy people place far too much faith in their dogs.
    For example leaving a t i ny new baby in a room with a large dog. Its completely nuts.
    Even if the dog was to play with the child to the level it would with a similar sized dog, it would kill the child yet owners believe the dog understands the rights and wrongs of these things.
    Crazy people.

I have no dogs at the moment but generally always did have, and mostly large breeds. Rothweilers, dobbermen, ridgebacks and so on.
    They have all been very good natured and placid - but even so, i would never trust them alone with a child, not in a million years - they are animals after all. Each and every dog will bite you in some circumstance and the damage a large dog can do in a few seconds is alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I have no dogs at the moment but generally always did have, and mostly large breeds. Rothweilers, dobbermen, ridgebacks and so on.
    They have all been very good natured and placid - but even so, i would never trust them alone with a child, not in a million years - they are animals after all. Each and every dog will bite you in some circumstance and the damage a large dog can do in a few seconds is alarming.

Exactly. You never trust a dog alone with a child and indeed, vice versa. I had a GSD who loved playing fetch with kids but she was well trained and never left unsupervised in the situation. That would be very stupid and irresponsible of me.

If anyone wants a dog, they need to be in control of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

sligeach wrote: »
    Not in direct relation to this tragic incident(which is a bit different, 2 rottweiler guard dogs in a business yard attached to the home), but I don't get why some people want dangerous breeds of dogs. I see these people out all the time with no muzzles on the dog, some let them off the lead, and others who can barely control the dog. Do they think they're hard ********? That it's some sort of status symbol? I think the majority of these people are idiots.

Worst yet is the type of person who buys these dogs because of their perceived reputations as being vicious and dangerous. I get a sense that some people like the intimidation factor and the controversy of owning a pitbull for example.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Worst yet is the type of person who buys these dogs because of their perceived reputations as being vicious and dangerous. I get a sense that some people like the intimidation factor and the controversy of owning a pitbull for example.

Purely anecdotal, but I feel you are correct. Some people like the big, mean, intimidating dogs and deliberately mutilate them to make them even more 'vicious' looking.......clipped ears, docked tails etc. which is the mark of a true scumbag. These are the idiots who give others, and the breeds themselves, a bad name.
    Blanco100 wrote: »
    some dogs require experienced owners that must display absolute authority in order to "master" the dog.

Absolute horsesh1t, I'd love to see anything from a reputable source which backs that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Someone (not the dog) has to be in the Alpha role.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I have never known a vicious Rottie

Beautiful dogs, used to be called the Nanny dog as in Peter Pan.

Absolutely heartbreaking

Rip Little man.

The only dogs I have ever been bitten by are jack Russell's, vicious little things

Lucky for you. The statistics would say otherwise unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

First off. My heart goes out to that little child. May he rest in peace.

Now, from what I'm reading in the thread people are debating the potential damage a Rottweiler can do versus a Jack Russell.

While the potential damage these 2 breeds for example can do to an adult (en masse) is quite substantially different that margin starts to grow decidely narrower the younger the person attacked gets.

So the potential damage they can both do to say a 4 year old is a lot more similar.

People are talking about regulating and breeding out certain breeds of dogs or forcing people to do training courses, which I can see the benevolence behind from a public safety point of view. But people need to consider the following too before they scream for regulation:

1. The kinds of people that train these dogs (that do end up attacking people) will just buy and train other breeds of dogs to act the same way. So do we ban dogs over a certain size/weight

2. Calls for courses for people to own these "dangerous" breeds of dogs will fall on deaf ears. Some people probably don't even bother their arse to have a dog licence never mid pay to do a course on dog training

3. If respected kennels and licenced premises stop selling these dogs you will only drive the ne'er do wells to illegal puppy farms which is already a problem here in Ireland and the UK (Can't speak for other countries)

4. You can get a licecne by being a halfway decent driver for 45-60mins once in your life, this doesn't mean you're a good and safe driver all the time. So people do go to the course pass then go back to being ****ty dog owners.

5. We have no regulation on the breeding of these small handbag dogs that were never meant to exist to begin with such as Pugs etc who walk around with horrible breathing and respitory issues or Chuhuahuas who are naturally more aggressive, all for the sake of vanity too.

Also not sure how valid these studies are or how anecdotal they are but worth the read.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/10-Most-Aggressive-Dog-Breeds-Temperament-Ratings-and-Information

https://myanimals.com/animals/chihuahuas-aggressive-pitbulls/

https://panterlaw.com/2016/10/26/study-finds-pit-bulls-less-aggressive-chihuahuas/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

DrPhilG wrote: »
    By that sparkling logic, we should ban all cars.

Don't worry the Green Party are already ahead of you on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

Lucky for you. The statistics would say otherwise unfortunately

Could you link these statistics? I highly doubt even 1% of Rottweilers have bitten. If you have 2000 Rottweilers and 5 bite, its doesnt mean they are satanic beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Somepeople wrote: »
    Could you link these statistics? I highly doubt even 1% of Rottweilers have bitten. If you have 2000 Rottweilers and 5 bite, its doesnt mean they are satanic beasts.

I am not saying they are. But they can be very dangerous all things considered

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/09/13/americas-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-infographic/#7132ea4262f8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

never argue with dog people. They have their own breed of dog on a pedestal usually. Just nod and agree.

Esel wrote: »
    Someone (not the dog) has to be in the Alpha role.

More rubbish. The chap who came up with all that Alpha stuff has long since retracted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I have small kids, I do not want to live in a society where we have animals roaming the street that have the potential to kill them. There really is no purpose for some of the breeds such as pitbulls etc.

Sterilize them all and lets be done with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

More rubbish. The chap who came up with all that Alpha stuff has long since retracted it.

To be fair, I think its just an easy way to say your dog should know you're in charge, rather than the whole wolf pack thing. Its just like how your kids should respect you and know you're in charge. Otherwise, anarchy.
    I have small kids, I do not want to live in a society where we have animals roaming the street that have the potential to kill them. There really is no purpose for some of the breeds such as pitbulls etc.

Sterilize them all and lets be done with them.

Alright, Sh*tler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

jaxxx wrote: »
    Cratur meaning CRATER (mispelled OBVIOUSLY).

Jesus...

I'd be thinking creature, old form of endearment ""the poor creature"

Advertisement