Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy (8) dies after dog attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

NIMAN wrote: »
    A chihuahua won't eat your face off though.

So ban any thing bigger than what a Jack Russell or collie?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

I think this is rubbing your nose in it.

Dog Bite Fatalities USA 2018 by breed
    Pitbulls 72%
    Mixed-breed 8%
    Rottweiler 6%
    Mastiff./bullmastiff 6%
    Dogo Argentino 6%
    other breeds 3%

My earlier question to you was
    "Are you saying a pit bull, a rottweiler, a biullmastiff, a chihuahua, a pekinese, a shih tzu are all much the same for threat?"

Interesting considering a GSD is on the restricted list and the worlds second most popular dog.

Anyway there is a big difference in dogs that are pets and dogs which are just left outside with very little affection.

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes but can we talk about dogs a their breeds in this thread?

So how many people have been killed by dogs in Ireland in the last 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Ms2011 wrote: »
    How many people have been killed by dogs in Ireland in the last 10 years?
    I can tell you more people have been killed by cows.
    You can tell us anything.
    Give us a link to the statistics (and make sure it is not bite statistics).

This happened in 2017
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/death-of-galway-woman-in-savage-dog-attack-could-have-been-avoided-inquest-hears-939469.html

Take a look at the picture of the dog.

Again, you are saying a bite by one equates to a fatality by another.

I'm saying one is no more likely to bite you than another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

Absolute tragedy. Thoughts are with the family RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't think any have.

You can talk about bites all you like. That is an attempt to deflect from the killers.
    A few breeds cause fatalities.

A report that said restricted breeds are no more likely to bite than other breeds is no help with fatalities.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/restricted-dogs-study-3530118-Aug2017/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

His own dogs attacked him?Poor kid

sasta le wrote: »
    His own dogs attacked him?Poor kid

No his parents dogs. Looks like a potential manslaughter case.

• Advertisement

You can talk about bites all you like. That is an attempt to deflect from the killers.
    A few breeds cause fatalities.

A report that said restricted breeds are no more likely to bite than other breeds is no help with fatalities.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/restricted-dogs-study-3530118-Aug2017/

So you ban all the breeds you feel are dangerous, do you think there will be less people killed by dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I don't think any have.

There was a woman killed in Galway a few years ago, by her sons dogs when she visited his house

You must have the numbers.
    You said this "I can tell you more people have been killed by cows."

If you know more people were killed by cows than were killed by dogs then
    (1) you must have compared the two fatality numbers OR
    (2) you did not compare the numbers but are throwing out made up statistics

There was a woman killed in Galway a few years ago, by her sons dogs when she visited his house

What breed was it in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I own a German shepherd. I’m mad about him and he’s very affectionate towards me but I’d be wary of him with the kids. We’ve a lab too and they play fight a bit but I’ve seen the GS stick into him on occasion too.
    He’s never been trained to be vicious but no matter what anyone says you can never say never. If you want these ‘restricted’ breeds best of luck to you but you’ve an obligation to wider society that they’re well controlled.

So you ban all the breeds you feel are dangerous, do you think there will be less people killed by dogs?
    Yes.
    If you can read, you will have read my post #81 that showed 72% of fatalities by dogs in the USA in 2018 were by Pitbulls.
    Of course, you can ignore statistics (and deaths) and continue talking about bites (which are not deaths).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

RIP to the poor child.

I firmly believe that any person wanting to own a restricted breed should be forced to pass some sort of exam prior to being allowed to. These dogs can be lovely pets if they are well trained and cared for by responsible, sensible adults who are capable of assessing risk and keeping the dog under their control.
    Unfortunately a certain cohort of society see them as a status symbol and nothing more.
    They simply cannot be trusted to responsibly train the dog, and it’s both unfair to innocent victims like this little boy and the dogs themselves that this is allowed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Won't disagree with you on that, as someone who was attacked once by our pet poodle when he was eating a bone.

But I know id rather be bit by a poodle than a pitbull.

Read the breeds here that caused the deaths
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

I don't think any have.

There was a woman killed by dogs only 2 or 3 years ago in galway

• Advertisement

Yes.
    If you can read, you will have read my post #81 that showed 72% of fatalities by dogs in the USA in 2018 were by Pitbulls.
    Of course, you can ignore statistics (and deaths) and continue talking about bites (which are not deaths).

Ok, calm down, you're taking this very personally.
    1) you're giving me American stats not Irish.
    2) I already commented that the label 'Pit Bull' is given to any blocky headwd dog of unknown parentage as most people don't know what a real Pit Bull looks like.
    3) If you ban all Pit Bulls another breed of dog will just fill its place, unless you plan on banning everything bigger than a Jack Russell.

What breed was it in that case?

presa corso - not a restricted breed

I wouldn't be getting my 'facts' from Wikipedia.

Any stats from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Dropped my car to a local mechanics yard who has a couple of dogs running around. One german shepherd and another bull mastif. HATE going up there, the dogs are boisterous and the German shepherd is aggressive. People shouldnt have to be told to act a certain way around a strangers dog, like a test of your manhood. Gain the dogs respect etc.. **** that lock your dog up when you have company, people shouldnt have to accept that nonsense.

People can be very stupid and blind in relation to their own dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Ok, calm down, you're taking this very personally.
    1) you're giving me American stats not Irish.
    2) I already commented that the label 'Pit Bull' is given to any blocky headwd dog of unknown parentage as most people don't know what a real Pit Bull looks like.
    3) If you ban all Pit Bulls another breed of dog will just fill its place, unless you plan on banning everything bigger than a Jack Russell.

In general I find that it's never a good idea to tell another person to "calm down" on the internet or talk about their emotional wellbeing. You don't know how calm or uncalm they are, you're just reading their messages. You also don't know if they're taking it "very personally". Speculation like that on their emotional investment is both patronizing and unhelpful.

1) Pitbulls in America are the same as ones in Ireland.

2) This is tripe invented by the pitbull industry that nobody who looks into the issue could believe. Correctly identified pitballs are proven to be responsible for an extremely disproportionate level of deaths no matter how you try to fiddle the statistics.

3) There is ZERO logic to this statement. It's like stating that if you ban cigarettes vapes "will just take their place". Or if you ban the most harmful pesticide, another pesticide "will just take its place". If you ban cars that have faulty suspensions that are especially dangerous, other cars will just take their place in car accidents. It's bonkers and there is no sense to it. The other cars (dog breeds) will not be as dangerous and accidents will fall hugely.

A particular fridge freezer is known for possibly catching fire after x amount of years, but if you ban it another fridge freezer will "just take its place", ridiculous.

I wouldn't be getting my 'facts' from Wikipedia.
    Any stats from Ireland?
    You are the person who said cows kill more than dogs in Ireland.
    As I pointed out above (you ignored it) you must know the statistics if you can say one killed more than the other.

Keep up the deflection, ignore the statistics (except your cow v dog "stats").

So you have the Irish stats. List them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In the seventies, the de riguer accessories for any self-respecting skinhead were short wide Wranglers with braces, Dr Martens boots, a Crombie coat and a Staffie.

Not your ornery onager

In general I find that it's never a good idea to tell another person to "calm down" on the internet or talk about their emotional wellbeing. You don't know how calm or uncalm they are, you're just reading their messages. You also don't know if they're taking it "very personally". Speculation like that on their emotional investment is both patronizing and unhelpful.

1) Pitbulls in America are the same as ones in Ireland.

2) This is tripe invented by the pitbull industry that nobody who looks into the issue could believe. Correctly identified pitballs are proven to be responsible for an extremely disproportionate level of deaths no matter how you try to fiddle the statistics.

3) There is ZERO logic to this statement. It's like stating that if you ban cigarettes vapes "will just take their place". Or if you ban the most harmful pesticide, another pesticide "will just take its place". If you ban cars that have faulty suspensions that are especially dangerous, other cars will just take their place in car accidents. It's bonkers and there is no sense to it. The other cars (dog breeds) will not be as dangerous and accidents will fall hugely.

A particular fridge freezer is known for possibly catching fire after x amount of years, but if you ban it another fridge freezer will "just take its place", ridiculous.

I was the referring to the statement 'if I can read '...no need to get person, If you have facts state them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I wonder was the "container storage" business a front for something else? Like a bit of of a side project that would require guard dogs minding the premises.

Not stereotyping by the location and breed of dog involved of course.

Someone did mention earlier about those sort of dogs being a status symbol. Well, I haven't seen any wannabe criminals walking around with shih tzus, malteses or springer spaniels anyway.

”Not stereotyping by the location and breed of dog involved of course”

Oh but you are, And fairly misinformed reporting has got you there. The location is maybe 4 miles from Tallaght village in the countryside. I’d imagine it’s seclusion required security, steel containers are valuable assets.

Nevertheless that poor child. Agree with all sentiments on big dogs, why take the chance when there are young kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

some dogs require experienced owners that must display absolute authority in order to "master" the dog.

This is a sense of achievement some scobes see as a badge of honour. Its a control thing aswell I think, its a weapon too.

Advertisement