Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R 5k TT 25th April ‘20.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

First time I count myself lucky to be living on top of a hill. Plotted a route with a 185m drop, all within 2km of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Jaysus just as well I haven't told you I ordered a new pair the other day....oh wait :pac:

I have mine washed & ready to go for the 25th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Treviso wrote: »
    First time I count myself lucky to be living on top of a hill. Plotted a route with a 185m drop, all within 2km of the house

With those shoes as well...sub 15...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

My quote to Lazare in relation to honest was purely in relation to him running a flat route. My definition of honest is hilly.

We need to run a loop or out and back surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Murph_D wrote: »
    Has this been binned then?

Joking aside, lapped or out and backs are not that hard to find.

What’s the actual rule, for the record, before everything descends into chaos? :confused:

Any route at all D, looped, out & back or point to point as long as it’s 3.10 or more on the Garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

What’s the actual rule, for the record, before everything descends into chaos? :confused:

I think the chaos could be half the fun.

We are all going a bit mad atm moment so might as well go full thunderdome on it, even offer the Rosie Ruiz award for biggest net drop if people want to go down the route as a side accolade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ok fair enough, as long as we are all on the same page. I obviously missed the bit where the downhill route was introduced as an option and don’t want to be the only eejit not playing along. ;)

KSU wrote: »
    I think the chaos could be half the fun.

We are all going a bit mad atm moment so might as well go full thunderdome on it, even offer the Rosie Ruiz award for biggest net drop if people want to go down the route as a side accolade.

Exactly, it’s a bit of crack in these very strange times. Everyone won’t be able to run a net downhill route due to the 2km restrictions so the cheaters will be easily found out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

i will jump in on this if thats ok

male 35-39

dickidy wrote: »
    i will jump in on this if thats ok

male 35-39

Join the Strava group if possible and PM me your name pls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

On the fence as still in recovery mode from an injury, have joined the Strava group

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

My quote to Lazare in relation to honest was purely in relation to him running a flat route. My definition of honest is hilly.

We need to run a loop or out and back surely.

Yeah, mine's an 8m net downhill and I was feeling guilty about it.

Until I read in here last night. :)

Each to their own and all but I wouldn't fancy running a massive downhill point to point. Don't see the point. Rather get a good idea of where I'm at, and a pb that I can call a pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    On the fence as still in recovery mode from an injury, have joined the Strava group
    I'm the same but I think even if I run it at a easy or moderate pace, I'll do it for the craic. All down hill point to point of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Looking forward to adding virtual 5k pb to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm the same but I think even if I run it at a easy or moderate pace, I'll do it for the craic. All down hill point to point of course :D

Assuming lockdown my route would be marginally down, warm up down to the main road, run into Wicklow and a lap or so of the prom to finish.

How about an elevation column in the table?

In metres, a flat route is a zero, a +x for uphill, a -x for downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

whats the strava group called

dickidy wrote: »
    whats the strava group called

https://www.strava.com/clubs/610292

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lazare wrote: »

Each to their own and all but I wouldn't fancy running a massive downhill point to point. Don't see the point. Rather get a good idea of where I'm at, and a pb that I can call a pb.

Re-thinking my route. Its net uphill 7m but the first half is through town, crossing roads and the last mile is southbound and likely to be all headwind. I have to cross a major road to get to that last mile too. Grand at 6am but midday forget about it. Going to explore a small loop after the first 1.5 miles tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Decided I'll give this a go so sign me up M30-35 - prediction 21:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I have a nice course marked out within 2km of my house, better than Jingle Bells, will have to run at 7am though, can't be dealing with traffic

How about an elevation column in the table?

In metres, a flat route is a zero, a +x for uphill, a -x for downhill.

Fine by me, if the boss approves I'll happily edit it (or someone else can).

Name |Cat |Prediction|Actual|Adjusted
    ReeReeG|F|||
    Hedgehoggy|F35|20:30||
    career move|F35|21:20||
    Laineyfrecks|F40|20:30||
    Sussex18|F40|22:00||
    ariana’|F40|||
    Bluesquare|F40|25:00||
    Younganne|F45|28:00||
    Annie get your Run|F45|29:00||
    juke|F50|||
    Damo2k9|M|||
    KSU|M|||
    deconduo|M|24:00||
    pconn062|M|17:48||
    yiddo 1882|M|||
    Dudda|M35|18:00||
    justdoit|M35|19:20||
    healy1835|M35|||
    djemba djemba|M35|||
    Mellow Yellow26.2|M35|||
    Butterbeans|M35|||
    Swashbuckler|M35|||
    Guill|M35|||
    Omeceron|M35|||
    racersedge|M35|||
    Lambay Island|M35|||
    quick feet|M35|||
    IvoryTower|M35|19:25||
    diego_b|M35|22:00||
    Dubh G|M35|18:30||
    dickidy|M35|||
    token56|M35|21:00||
    OOnegative|M40|||
    shotgunmcos|M40|19:47||
    ComicBookGuy|M40|||
    average_runner|M40|21:20||
    Zebra3|M40|||
    Marty Bird|M40|||
    adrian522|M40|25:00||
    66_Lad|M40|||
    dangerous quack|M40|18:45||
    Treviso|M40|||
    Lazare|M40|19:50||
    ofthelord|M40|21:00||
    jamule|M45|||
    coogy|M45|19:30||
    MrSkinny|M45|20:00||
    WubbleWubble|M45|21:30||
    Slow_Runner|M45|19:59||
    AuldManKing|M45|17.49||
    DeepBlue|M45|20:50||
    Sideswipe|M45|19:29||
    Itziger|M50|18:30||
    skyblue46|M50|20:00||
    snailsong|M50|20:00||
    dna_leri|M50|17:30||
    Speedy44|M50|||
    TFBubendorfer|M50|21:00||
    Murph_D|M55|||
    EnPassant|M55|||

Adding a couple of newcomers...

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Agree with this. I'm gonna stick with my original route which is a 500m loop around a deserted car park that is mostly flat. Will give me an idea of where I am.

Re-thinking my route. Its net uphill 7m but the first half is through town, crossing roads and the last mile is southbound and likely to be all headwind. I have to cross a major road to get to that last mile too. Grand at 6am but midday forget about it. Going to explore a small loop after the first 1.5 miles tomorrow

I'm planning on doing mine around 8am, same as you, midday would be a pain.

Fair play to anyone who can run a pb under TT conditions, even on a downhill route!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Fine by me, if the boss approves I'll happily edit it (or someone else can).

From your friend JD. I posted about this on my log before as I was curious myself -
    Work by Jack Daniels, of Daniels Running Formula fame, produced a “rule of thumb” described by Daniels several years ago online. His rule states that every percent gradient of incline (going uphill) will slow you by 12-15 seconds per mile, and every percent gradient of decline (going downhill) will aid you by 8 seconds per mile.

https://runnersconnect.net/hill-running-training/

Maybe it's getting too technical with the results and it might knock the craic out of it for some but I find it interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Lads, why are you worried about the course of elevation? Does it really matter, if someone wants to run down the side of Croagh Patrick then let them. It's just a bit of fun and course elevation doesn't matter IMO. Pick the fastest 5k course you can and blow the fecking wheels off and some steam while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

pconn062 wrote: »
    Does it really matter, if someone wants to run down the side of Croagh Patrick then let them.

Short answer. No.

I'd love to have a big aul hill have a go at. Stuck on the plains of Meath though :(

Just putting the info up there for anyone interested in the gains/losses of hills, like I am.

• Advertisement

Only saying point to point in current Covid affected circumstances, obviously don’t take the pi$$ and run a huge net downhill route. Be as honest as you can with the roads you have to work with.

Advertisement