Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R 5k TT 25th April ‘20.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Count me in thanks, will aim for 19:59

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Useful Strava feature - GAP - Gradient Adjusted Pace:
    What is GAP?
    Grade Adjusted Pace takes into account the steepness of terrain during your runs and estimates an equivalent pace on flat land. Because running uphill requires extra work, your Grade Adjusted Pace on ascents will be faster than your actual pace. And similarly, when running downhill, your Grade Adjusted Pace will tend to be slower than your actual pace.

The difference between GAP and actual pace generally becomes larger as the grade steepens. Athlete data has shown that the downhill adjustment peaks around -10%, after which it becomes slightly less extreme. Note that GAP does not account for the technical difficulty or condition of the terrain. Learn more about the determination of the GAP model from real-world data, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

pconn062 wrote: »
    Lads, why are you worried about the course of elevation? Does it really matter, if someone wants to run down the side of Croagh Patrick then let them. It's just a bit of fun and course elevation doesn't matter IMO. Pick the fastest 5k course you can and blow the fecking wheels off and some steam while you're at it.

I don’t think anyone was worried about it, just a case of not knowing whether it had been agreed or not. Pretty clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Murph_D wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone was worried about it, just a case of not knowing whether it had been agreed or not. Pretty clear now.

Fair point but I meant worried as in trying to put a rule or guideline in place, when one wasn't needed.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Fair point but I meant worried as in trying to put a rule or guideline in place, when one wasn't needed.

I think that’s up to the OP. Anyway if you go back over the thread you will see that the ‘rules’ and ‘guidelines’ have changed a few times now. Barry is more tolerant than others would be - but then again his all-embracing approach has seen 60 runners sign up already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm running downhill jingle bells style LETS GOOOOO

google maps says its "mostly flat"....

Maybe the Drogheda folk can let me know how dirty this is :cool:

MyM6Pio.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Lads I threw a post up on Strava, take a look at it and get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Fair play to anyone who can run a pb under TT conditions, even on a downhill route!

There's an idea for another category award ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I think that’s up to the OP. Anyway if you go back over the thread you will see that the ‘rules’ and ‘guidelines’ have changed a few times now. Barry is more tolerant than others would be - but then again his all-embracing approach has seen 60 runners sign up already!

Tolerant or a pushover!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

So, lads and lassies, what are the key 5km workouts anyway. Must start training for this thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I'm running downhill jingle bells style LETS GOOOOO

google maps says its "mostly flat"....

Maybe the Drogheda folk can let me know how dirty this is :cool:

MyM6Pio.png

jog up to grangerath, turn around and fly, you need to finish before the playground (before the bus station even).

Itziger wrote: »
    So, lads and lassies, what are the key 5km workouts anyway. Must start training for this thing.

Maybe KSU will put together a 2.5 week plan for us!

jamule wrote: »
    jog up to grangerath, turn around and fly, you need to finish before the playground (before the bus station even).

Grangerath out of my 2km...

I can go along the river for a bit though. Otherwise it's out marsh road, depends on wind also!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Grangerath out of my 2km...

I can go along the river for a bit though. Otherwise it's out marsh road, depends on wind also!

up the river is fine but getting there at speed is not gonna be fun. go as far up the hill at the bus station and across onto the ramparts. you could get the wind in your face going up the river.

I might just do 7 laps of m'view if the weather stays like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

The banter around course choices got me thinking about a question for the more experienced heads here: given the choice between a track and a reasonably flat longer loop or out-and-back on the road, which would you prefer for a 5k TT and why? I've never raced longer than a mile on the track and I wonder if 12.5 laps would feel too repetitive, or if having frequent accurate splits would be a bonus. Although I happen to have that choice open to me for this event, I am not really bothered about 'optimising' my course selection (it's just a bit of fun, right?) but genuinely interested in people's views on track vs road for a TT over this sort of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'll give this a go. 35-39 and will aim for 17:59 :)

MrSkinny wrote: »
    The banter around course choices got me thinking about a question for the more experienced heads here: given the choice between a track and a reasonably flat longer loop or out-and-back on the road, which would you prefer for a 5k TT and why? I've never raced longer than a mile on the track and I wonder if 12.5 laps would feel too repetitive, or if having frequent accurate splits would be a bonus. Although I happen to have that choice open to me for this event, I am not really bothered about 'optimising' my course selection (it's just a bit of fun, right?) but genuinely interested in people's views on track vs road for a TT over this sort of distance.

I've done longish tempo runs on a track, never a 'race' as such (if you don't count the ones I did 40 years ago) and it boils down to what you highlighted. Nice even, easy to understand splits... no drags, lights, dogs, potholes and so on Versus the boredom and the numbers game. I run on a 333mt track sometimes and if you think about the number left from fairly early on, you're doomed. That track is now closed though, are they open in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I couldn't face it on a track - even on a 6x0.5m loop (which I have near me) it would be arduous (and tempting to bail).

Mentally Point to point would suit better, but not a long straight road.
    3-4 left or right hand turns like most 5k's would be good too.

Hopefully the Phoenix Park will be an option by the 25th -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

No drinking the night before for starters - that'll be the biggest change for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No drinking the night before for starters - that'll be the biggest change for me.

That's cheating on the same scale as a downhill point to point course.:D

• Advertisement

Careful with that strategy. Big changes on the night before a race can confuse the body. One beer or a glass of wine highly recommended.

Or one beer AND a glass of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

jamule wrote: »

I've just alerted the Gardai to be waiting before the bus station for those who will attempt this route and leave their 2km from home, police state mandated exercise zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

On a more serious note, with social distancing - is anyone planning on timing their run to avoid pedestrians?
    It's hard enough having to check for bikes/traffic and jump onto the road every time I meet pedestrians when i'm doing a slowish run. Likelihood of turning an ankle etc is pretty high if I'm travelling at near light speed!!

Looks like a 7am or 9pm run would be the best option for clear paths/roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

adrian522 wrote: »
    That's cheating on the same scale as a downhill point to point course.:D
    Careful with that strategy. Big changes on the night before a race can confuse the body. One beer or a glass of wine highly recommended.

Or one beer AND a glass of wine.

This is fun.

To get your lockdown alcoholic name, take your first name, followed by your last name.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Was thinking of this myself - have done 5000m on the track before but with other people, I'd say it would be difficult on your own plus trying to do maths in your head while running hard is not easy, wind would also be a factor. I'm lucky in that I have a track and the Kilcock 5k route to choose from - both flat but the track is not sheltered

Was thinking of this myself - have done 5000m on the track before but with other people, I'd say it would be difficult on your own plus trying to do maths in your head while running hard is not easy, wind would also be a factor. I'm lucky in that I have a track and the Kilcock 5k route to choose from - both flat but the track is not sheltered

Isn't the Kilcock track closed?

For a TT, I think I'd prefer the track to be honest, but only because it's a time trial with no one to pace off - I think I'd find it easier to maintain the required effort and yes, of course the flatness and nice surface would be a factor. If you're not used to doing longish track workouts though it would probably be difficult. As people have asked, though, are any tracks open - I would have thought all club-owned or occupied tracks are affected by the AI ban on club activities. And whatever about flexible guidelines/rules, I think one of the most important principles of this TT is that participants obey the lockdown restrictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Isn't the Kilcock track closed?

Kilcock track is owned by the council as far as I know and has always been open to the public and still is, not many people using it to be fair - plenty of walking options around. Planning on doing a speed session there later on this evening.

From an AI standpoint there is no official training happening so club members are not covered by insurance like they normally are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Come to think of it, would running it on a treadmill be acceptable?

• Advertisement

DarHan84 wrote: »
    On a more serious note, with social distancing - is anyone planning on timing their run to avoid pedestrians?
    It's hard enough having to check for bikes/traffic and jump onto the road every time I meet pedestrians when i'm doing a slowish run. Likelihood of turning an ankle etc is pretty high if I'm travelling at near light speed!!

Looks like a 7am or 9pm run would be the best option for clear paths/roads.

I've been running 7am every day since it started so im just going to continue it. It's not ideal for sessions never mind racing, way off the pace

But i'm definitely cheating with my course choice so I'm expecting that will make up for it :cool:

Advertisement