Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin combination being touted as a Corona treatment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Pure speculation, but heard just today from my sis who lives there that one difference benefiting Germany is the lower rate of antibiotic prescriptions/use by comparison with France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

mvl wrote: »
    Pure speculation, but heard just today from my sis who lives there that one difference benefiting Germany is the lower rate of antibiotic prescriptions/use by comparison with France.

Would your sister be in healthcare? Not a dig just wondering cause antibiotics wouldn't touch a virus unless maybe lower use of them means better rates of clearing some sort of secondary infections that may arise from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Would your sister be in healthcare? Not a dig just wondering cause antibiotics wouldn't touch a virus unless maybe lower use of them means better rates of clearing some sort of secondary infections that may arise from it

Think they meant the lower use in Germany in general would imply a more robust immune system, as antibiotics can reduce your immune systems natural capabilities.

Personally I think the higher death rates may be where the virus gets into nursing homes.

Germany from day 1 was not counting anyone with an underlying condition who died with c19 unless that's changed and had the numbers added on

I’ve also heard this too a few times though haven’t seen any concrete evidence, a comparison of daily death rates year on year would show the true %

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

No, it offers nothing in the way of an explanation. You might be able to use this paper as proof of concept to get ethics approval for testing in a mouse model, that's about it.

Not talking specificly about this paper but in general the quality of research that has been pumped out in the last few months has been embarrassing. In normal circumstances most of it wouldn't make it past the spam filter of some of the journals they're ending up in.
    Fair enough, but I don't entirely agree with your second point. Now more than ever, we need the widest possible dissemination of ideas. If that paper is 80% rubbish but 20% potentially useful to other researchers then in the present circumstances, it's right to publish it. It's understandable that in normal times research papers are rigorously reviewed before being published and that takes time, which we don't have unfortunately. If there are researchers here in this country with good ideas or useful results, then surely it's better to share it now, rather than in six months after dotting all the 'i's and crossing the 't's.

• Advertisement

Germany from day 1 was not counting anyone with an underlying condition who died with c19 unless that's changed and had the numbers added on

Just noticed Germany’s high deaths yesterday, have they backdated numbers, or were they keeping a large number alive by ventilation, or was it just a bad day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

begbysback wrote: »
    Just noticed Germany’s high deaths yesterday, have they backdated numbers, or were they keeping a large number alive by ventilation, or was it just a bad day?

Was reading last week they had the same problem as us here, that sh1te got into nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

Anecdotal evidence. The death rate is still 50% in ICU. Hydroxychloroquine has been in use for over three weeks. It's unlikely that it's use reduces mortality. The only thing that is proven to work is supportive measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

silverharp wrote: »

Professor Trump started all this stuff.

Fauci, one of the US foremost experts, says (in front of Trump) there is no evidence whatsoever that that drug works.

But all follow Trump :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Anecdotal evidence. The death rate is still 50% in ICU. Hydroxychloroquine has been in use for over three weeks. It's unlikely that it's use reduces mortality. The only thing that is proven to work is supportive measures.

or its too late once you get to ICU

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Fauci, one of the US foremost experts, says (in front of Trump) there is no evidence whatsoever that that drug works.

Yeah, and good on Trump for doing so too!

He was trying to put pressure on people, to make a faster decision on this drug's viability. He got ridiculed for it, but I doubt he gives a cr*p about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

It's about treating them with it before they even come close to requiring ICU

Arrival wrote: »

It's indicated in people who have moderate to severe COVID-19 who are desaturating. These people are ICU bound. If somebody could actually show me any peer reviewed papers that says H+A definitively works. Please do post them.

Oh, wait. There isn't any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

It's indicated in people who have moderate to severe COVID-19 who are desaturating. These people are ICU bound. If somebody could actually show me any peer reviewed papers that says H+A definitively works. Please do post them.

Oh, wait. There isn't any.

So not people actually in ICU then, which was what you were talking about in the last post and what I simply pointed out.

And wow, groundbreaking news there, we definitely didn't know that!

Also, in your last post you say it's been in use for 3 weeks. Is it common for there to be peer reviewed papers with definitive conclusions in such a short timeframe? I'm genuinely asking, I don't know...

There is a difference here though, he has administered the drug in the nursing home when patients are diagnosed with the virus, before they were unwell enough to go to hospital. Thereby giving the medication time to treat the virus before it does damage.

Fair play to him, the decision to proceed this way must have weighed heavy on him, it seems he has no doubt saved lives.

It was in use before Trump mentioned anything, and would have been in use if Trump had said nothing, but hey its a Trump bashing bandwagon so everybody on!

The only bad thing about Trump mentioning this is that there are ego games now between politicians and medical community - Im sure I speak for a lot of people when I say we dont give a sh1t who gets the credit for it, only that if there is already medication in use today which can stop people from dying, then fcuk it at least try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Insteresting figures still coming out of the Mediterranean Infection Foundation (Raoult fame). Make of them what you will:

Without Hydroxychloroquine / Azithromycin 63 deaths / 4100 cases
    With Hydroxychloroquine / Azithromycin 10 deaths / 2401 cases

Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2020-04-11-a%CC%80-10.51.35.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Arrival wrote:

Exactly. One big thing about drug trials timing. ICU stage is clearly too late to work.

Hydroxychloroquine demonstrably bars Covid from cell entry.

I'd expect some positive effect in moderate cases before sepsis or cytokine storm stage.

McGiver wrote: »
    Exactly. One big thing about drug trials timing. ICU stage is clearly too late to work.

Hydroxychloroquine demonstrably bars Covid from cell entry.

I'd expect some positive effect in moderate cases before sepsis or cytokine storm stage.
    I've seen some commentary that says the same thing. Some suggestion* that because the drug is seen as having severe side-effects, the doses being offered are too low and it is only being offered to patients who are severely ill where it might help more at an earlier stage.

* I think it was a qualified doctor saying this, but you can never be sure on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Any preliminary results from the WHO drug trial floating around anywhere. My googlefu is coming up empty so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

begbysback wrote: »
    It was in use before Trump mentioned anything, and would have been in use if Trump had said nothing, but hey its a Trump bashing bandwagon so everybody on!

The only bad thing about Trump mentioning this is that there are ego games now between politicians and medical community - Im sure I speak for a lot of people when I say we dont give a sh1t who gets the credit for it, only that if there is already medication in use today which can stop people from dying, then fcuk it at least try it.

Did I say it wasn't in use before Trump mentioned it?

I suppose you just disregard virtually the vast bulk of the medical profession who refuse to talk rubbish on Fox News.

Idiocracy in action.

You have no idea how dangerous this myth is to those who think it's some sort of cure and those who depend on the drugs for existing illnesses.

Every single press conference Fauci shoots this down as ignorant of the facts but the Trump bible thumpers don't have time for experts.

Arrival wrote: »
    So not people actually in ICU then, which was what you were talking about in the last post and what I simply pointed out.

And wow, groundbreaking news there, we definitely didn't know that!

Also, in your last post you say it's been in use for 3 weeks. Is it common for there to be peer reviewed papers with definitive conclusions in such a short timeframe? I'm genuinely asking, I don't know...
    There has been case reports of its use in France and China. It's only been used in Ireland for three-ish weeks. Yet again, it would be interesting if there was any large scale studies that suggested that it was effective. I haven't seen any.

The effect of H+A on QTc and possibility of torsades de pointes probably outweighs any benefit the combo has.

It's a hail Mary throw and Donald trump is no Aaron Rodgers.

There has been case reports of its use in France and China. It's only been used in Ireland for three-ish weeks. Yet again, it would be interesting if there was any large scale studies that suggested that it was effective. I haven't seen any.
    You haven't seen any yet. Trials are underway. Hopefully, the question will be answered conclusively once they have been completed.
    The effect of H+A on QTc and possibility of torsades de pointes probably outweighs any benefit the combo has.
    Why would that not be the same for the H treatment of Lupus? It has the same side-effects presumably?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

plodder wrote: »

Why would that not be the same for the H treatment of Lupus? It has the same side-effects presumably?

Is the dose the same as lupus? I believe that some trials are looking at a multiple of the lupus dose.

Also a lot of the serious cases of covid 19 have underlying conditions. H is counterindicated and would not be prescribed to lupus sufferers with for example kidney or heart problems because of the side effects. I would be too risky for these people.

Also h and a are not prescribed together except for the covid 19 trials. If they both have the side effects. It would be worse if taking both.

If H or H+A work in certain circumstances it will be great because it reduces pressure on the health service but it's not a complete answer even if it works.

Is the dose the same as lupus? I believe that some trials are looking at a multiple of the lupus dose.
    Considering that there is little to no hard data justifying its use yet, you'd expect doctors to be cautious. The Rault experiment used 200mg, three times a day.

More info at link below:

https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540748/all/Hydroxychloroquine
    Also a lot of the serious cases of covid 19 have underlying conditions. H is counterindicated and would not be prescribed to lupus sufferers with for example kidney or heart problems because of the side effects. I would be too risky for these people.

Also h and a are not prescribed together except for the covid 19 trials. If they both have the side effects. It would be worse if taking both.

If H or H+A work in certain circumstances it will be great because it reduces pressure on the health service but it's not a complete answer even if it works.
    That was my point. Yes it is counter-indicated for some situations but not others. But, I accept the point about the combination. The effects could possibly be worse.

plodder wrote: »
    You haven't seen any yet. Trials are underway. Hopefully, the question will be answered conclusively once they have been completed.

Hydroxychloroquine has proven efficacy in treating Lupus.

As an aside, the use of azithromycin in my hospital is to be dropped after the bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Democrat who took Hydroxychloraquine and claimed it helped her meets Trump at the White House.

https://twitter.com/EM_KA_17/status/1250115216769191937

Rita Wilson (Tom Hanks' Mrs) also took Hydroxychloroquine when she had Coronavirus, and even know she subsequently recovered, she doesn't seem too happy with the drug as apparently it had some nasty side effects:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭threeball

French study out today says there no evidence hydroxychlooquine helps and was shown to have concerning effects on heart rhythm. Well done Trump ya clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

threeball wrote: »
    French study out today says there no evidence hydroxychlooquine helps..... Well done Trump ya clown.

Im wondering if the fact its so cheap compared to the huge profits and secure patents of the alternatives (still not proven either) plus a huge desire by everyone to prove Trump wrong has put more emphasis on finding and reporting issues with this treatment.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement