Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin combination being touted as a Corona treatment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

plodder wrote: »
    Forget Fox, and focus on the doctor and what he is saying.

He doesn't mention the number of patients on the drug regimen, as compared with the 20 who needed intubation, but he said statistically - point zero, zero, zero something, which is far from scientific ... tailored for the viewers maybe.

He says he can't see any real reason for selection bias, but the initial 20 patients could have been much more severe, and the following ones less so due to knowing more about the condition and presenting sooner maybe. Who knows? We still have to wait for properly conducted trials.

But, it's hopeful news at least.
    I'd be very sceptical of a doctor who declares that he thinks 'this is the beginning of the end for the pandemic'.

That's a grand claim based on his own observations, not a properly controlled study.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

1) Blood plasma transfusion from recovered patients

2) Pneumonia vaccines (associated with lower death rates questionably)

3) Ivermectin

Cliff notes of last few posts.

Extremely small sample size from 1), 5 patients.

No idea about 2) but it couldn't hurt, right? (except your wallet, cause asshole pfizer are now charging 180 dollards per vaccination shot, of which there are 2 for pneumonia).

3) Sounds promising but only conducted in-vitro thus far? (i.e. cells outside of a living person).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

1) Blood plasma transfusion from recovered patients

2) Pneumonia vaccines (associated with lower death rates questionably)

3) Ivermectin

Cliff notes of last few posts.

Extremely small sample size from 1), 5 patients.

No idea about 2) but it couldn't hurt, right? (except your wallet, cause asshole pfizer are now charging 180 dollards per vaccination shot, of which there are 2 for pneumonia).

3) Sounds promising but only conducted in-vitro thus far? (i.e. cells outside of a living person).

3. Sounds very promising.

sadie1502 wrote: »
    3. Sounds very promising.

Let's imagine for a sec it actually demonstrated consistent efficacy in vivo (in actual people, clinical trials).

And when you tap "coronavirus" into your browser over the next morning or two, case rates have plummeted, recovery rates have soared, the pandemic is ending via this wonder drug which is widely available and highly affordable.

No crippled economies.

No job loss.

No more deaths and suffering.

That's the world in which I want to one day live.

• Advertisement

Let's imagine for a sec it actually demonstrated consistent efficacy in vivo (in actual people, clinical trials).

And when you tap "coronavirus" into your browser over the next morning or two, case rates have plummeted, recovery rates have soared, the pandemic is ending via this wonder drug which is widely available and highly affordable.

No crippled economies.

No job loss.

No more deaths and suffering.

That's the world in which I want to one day live.

Me too. So you think when tested in Vivo it won't be promising.

Additional information around Ivermection seems to go to the tune of, "lots of things would kill covid in a test tube. In a living organism, they typically don't translate".

i.e. it's interdasting, but in and of itself is most unlikely to yield a relevant outcome in this crises.

:(

:0(

It would never be that easy would it. We can hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Trump wouldn't allow Fauci be asked a question on hydroxychloroquine and then ended the conference just now (Sunday Night/Mon Morning).

CNN saying Navarro and Fauci had a row over hydroxychloroquine in the WH and Navarro won. He's an Economist and Is the one who's driving its use

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It may have been shared already but a piece expressing caution and describing some of the nasty side effects of hydroxychloroquine.
    https://theconversation.com/chloroquine-and-hydroxychloroquine-no-proof-these-anti-malarial-drugs-prevent-novel-coronavirus-in-humans-134703

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Well the good news is that since Trump is so enthusiastic, most people will naturally be cautious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This video was going erm a little viral yesterday. A NY ICU doc on the front line. Thinks the ventilator protocols need to be changed

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Sweden have stopped trials if Hydroxy dues to Seizures etc
    https://twitter.com/mSaleemJaved/status/1246523470516817923?s=19

Sweden have stopped trials if Hydroxy dues to Seizures etc
    https://twitter.com/mSaleemJaved/status/1246523470516817923?s=19
    That seems to be talking about Chloroquine which is known to have more severe side-effects than Hydroxy-chloroquine. Maybe they are also testing with that..

plodder wrote: »
    That seems to be talking about Chloroquine which is known to have more severe side-effects than Hydroxy-chloroquine. Maybe they are also testing with that..

Apologies, I missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

silverharp wrote: »
    This video was going erm a little viral yesterday. A NY ICU doc on the front line. Thinks the ventilator protocols need to be changed

Really interesting, what sticks out in my mind as I watch this is another report I seen of Italian medical staff having a small celebration in an ICU ward after just one single person survived after been placed on a ventilator.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

begbysback wrote: »
    Really interesting, what sticks out in my mind as I watch this is another report I seen of Italian medical staff having a small celebration in an ICU ward after just one single person survived after been placed on a ventilator.

At least some smart people are looking at it, if there is anything to it, it should bubble up. On the one hand odds without knowing anything , this goes against the odds of being true given how many doctors have had time to look at this by now. On the other hand sometimes it takes someone with a slightly different view of the world to see the free money on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That sounds very promising. Even as a stop gap solution. I've not heard the inclusion of zinc being mentioned previously

Interesting. He's saying that it needs to be accompanied with Zinc and there is some suggested mechanism for how it stops the virus replication. Again though it's a small non-random sample, but hopefully at least one of the larger trials are using zinc as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IIRC that's part of the mechanism with the Chloroquine type drugs, they get zinc into infected cells which slows down or stops the cell from making more copies of the virus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Im not a massive Trump fan by any stretch, but i feel he's right on large scale testing of hydroxchloroquine, at this stage in the game we have little to lose.

It's a drug used to treat malaria for the last 50 years so it's side effects are well known and are not severe except in those with heart problems. I know if i was stretched out on a bed struggling to breathe and this was offered to me i would'nt hesitate to give it a try.

Wibbs wrote: »
    IIRC that's part of the mechanism with the Chloroquine type drugs, they get zinc into infected cells which slows down or stops the cell from making more copies of the virus.
    Sure, I was just summarising what he said - which was that it doesn't work if you don't also provide zinc. I'm a bit sceptical of these doctors popping up on US TV, making grandiose claims, but maybe there is something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Im not a massive Trump fan by any stretch, but i feel he's right on large scale testing of hydroxchloroquine, at this stage in the game we have little to lose.

It's a drug used to treat malaria for the last 50 years so it's side effects are well known and are not severe except in those with heart problems. I know if i was stretched out on a bed struggling to breathe and this was offered to me i would'nt hesitate to give it a try.

Its' side effects can be severe absolutely, and it's combined with Azithromycin both of which prolong the Qt Interval so potentiate each other in causing potentially fatal arrhythmias. Any patient on this regimen in hospital is requiring a daily ECG (resource intensive) to monitor their QTC.

The evidence for Hydroxy/Azithro is painfully weak and here in Ireland we're essentially just using it because everyone else is but only in patients who are deteriorating despite best supportive care. In these cases, the potential risks (when mitigated by close inpatient monitoring with ECG and cardiac biomarkers) are less than the potential risks of not using it.

On a risk VS benefit basis you could't recommend such a toxic, unproven treatment to mild cases. Trump is building this treatment up to be something it's not, and in doing so is sewing discord among some sections of the public against the medical community because their president has touted this as some sort of miracle cure.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Its' side effects can be severe absolutely, and it's combined with Azithromycin both of which prolong the Qt Interval so potentiate each other in causing potentially fatal arrhythmias. Any patient on this regimen in hospital is requiring a daily ECG (resource intensive) to monitor their QTC.

The evidence for Hydroxy/Azithro is painfully weak and here in Ireland we're essentially just using it because everyone else is but only in patients who are deteriorating despite best supportive care. In these cases, the potential risks (when mitigated by close inpatient monitoring with ECG and cardiac biomarkers) are less than the potential risks of not using it.

On a risk VS benefit basis you could't recommend such a toxic, unproven treatment to mild cases. Trump is building this treatment up to be something it's not, and in doing so is sewing discord among some sections of the public against the medical community because their president has touted this as some sort of miracle cure.

I personally don’t think the discord between the public & medical community is caused by trump, fair enough he probably doesn’t help it, but the public are shown death rates per country and can’t help but notice the discrepancies. Ok some can be put down to inaccurate reporting, but others just don’t make sense - there is no transparency with regards to effectiveness or treatments. The notions of viral load, different strains, and better prepared healthcare systems just don’t add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

sadie1502 wrote: »

Would most of us be vaccinated with that?

How could we find out for certain if we are or aren't, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Arrival wrote: »

I've a scar on my upper arm from it. but that only tells me I had the one or two vaccines they were giving us when I was in school.
    tbh, don't know what to think about it: BCG offers incomplete immunity towards pulmonary TB, which is a bacterial infection ...
    - unless they are saying the BCG vaccine triggered some special antibodies in population that had it, which provides a herd buffer against this virus, is this what they are saying ?

Arrival wrote: »

Seems to be clickbait, where’s the “striking evidence”?? A study says there seems to be less cases in countries with a vaccination program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

BCG is controversial, various studies from years ago - e.g. from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29324233 :

"BCG induces epigenetic reprogramming in human monocytes in vivo, followed by functional reprogramming and protection against non-related viral infections, with a key role for IL-1β as a mediator of trained immunity responses."

But China does BCG vaccination too, and that says alot about this context imo.

Advertisement