Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin combination being touted as a Corona treatment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

begbysback wrote: »
    This is surely the next step here, can only assume there is a shortage at the moment, which is why the directive has not yet been given.

What gets me Begby is the HSE deliberately spreading the "masks don't protect you" and it's amazing how many people have swallowed it hook, line and sinker

I used work in healthcare and even a surgical mask will offer a little protection compared to nothing and they know this.

Most importantly as I said is it cuts down on spreaders by containing droplets.

If they had just been honest and said home made masks and wash at 90c after use offer good protection as we need proper PPE for hospitals as they are exposed more

What worries me now is when it's acknowledged we need to wear masks even officially we'll now have lots saying "ah **** that sure they said a mask wouldn't help and now they do sure they don't know their arse from their elbow"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What gets me Begby is the HSE deliberately spreading the "masks don't protect you" and it's amazing how many people have swallowed it hook, line and sinker

I used work in healthcare and even a surgical mask will offer a little protection compared to nothing and they know this.

Most importantly as I said is it cuts down on spreaders by containing droplets.

Wouldn't anything wrapped around your mouth and nose help avoid spreading the virus? I had been wrapping a scarf a few times around my mouth and nose, sometimes with a dust mask under it for the last week that I was out. I've had a respiratory illness of some sort since the 18th and was last shopping a few hours before my symptoms started. If I do have Covid I'm hoping that having the scarf around my face will have protected anyone who was around me that day and the days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had a totally oddball and almost certainly daft as fook thought about common drugs and this dose... This virus attaches to the ACE enzyme on your lung surfactant cells, that's how it gets in. What about the ACE inhibitor drugs commonly used worldwide for the regulation of high blood pressure? I noted early on one of the main conditions that suffer worse with this virus is people with high blood pressure. Now of course their bodies are already under stress and likely have cardiovascular problems too so any extra stress... Do people with certain types of high blood pressure have more ACE enyzme floating about? Could those class of drugs inhibit enough of the ACE enzyme to reduce the amount the virus could latch onto, or at least reduce levels alongside other therapies? I wonder are there any figures for any difference in progression and outcome between people with high BP on beta blockers compared to those on ACE inhibitors?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Curious what the effective dose of azithromycin is.

Typically it's 500 mg daily, up to 1 or 2 grams maximum - but for this virus, can't find any reports.

Hydroxychloroquine is normally dosed at 600 mg daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I know zero zip nadda about medicine. Is it possible this is enough of a "wonder drug" that it could allow normal life to resume within the next say two months? The figures being posted look very promising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Wibbs wrote: »
    I had a totally oddball and almost certainly daft as fook thought about common drugs and this dose... This virus attaches to the ACE enzyme on your lung surfactant cells, that's how it gets in. What about the ACE inhibitor drugs commonly used worldwide for the regulation of high blood pressure? I noted early on one of the main conditions that suffer worse with this virus is people with high blood pressure. Now of course their bodies are already under stress and likely have cardiovascular problems too so any extra stress... Do people with certain types of high blood pressure have more ACE enyzme floating about? Could those class of drugs inhibit enough of the ACE enzyme to reduce the amount the virus could latch onto, or at least reduce levels alongside other therapies? I wonder are there any figures for any difference in progression and outcome between people with high BP on beta blockers compared to those on ACE inhibitors?

I think it's the opposite of what you think actually. Often when you reduce a signal within a system the cell responds by upregulation of the receptor to try and restore the signal to the normal level.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8/fulltext

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Curious what the effective dose of azithromycin is.

Typically it's 500 mg daily, up to 1 or 2 grams maximum - but for this virus, can't find any reports.

Hydroxychloroquine is normally dosed at 600 mg daily.
    Are you planning to self-medicate?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

The Czech Republic also believe mandatory mask wearing in public is as important as washing hands and social distancing, for preventing people from shedding the virus more than preventing getting it.

It's why they've made it mandatory

I really don't understand why we didn't/don't make a similar effort here to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think it's the opposite of what you think actually. Often when you reduce a signal within a system the cell responds by upregulation of the receptor to try and restore the signal to the normal level.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8/fulltext
    Ah right C thanks, cool read. That makes perfect sense of course. Like if you take testosterone for body building your nuts shrink and your natural production falls off a cliff as your body looks to getting back to stasis.

Though you may have missed the part where I said "oddball and almost certainly daft as fook". That's my baseline, anything beyond that is occasional and occasionally miraculous. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Arrival wrote: »
    I really don't understand why we didn't/don't make a similar effort here to be honest
    Not enough reserves of stock for medical staff, so they didn't want a run on the stuff in shops. Simple as that. It wasn't based on clinical opinion, much more on practical. Ditto for the CDC in the US, the NHS in the UK and so on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Esel wrote: »
    Are you planning to self-medicate?

I just want to know precisely what to yell at some student doctor before I undergo invasive ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I just want to know precisely what to yell at some student doctor before I undergo invasive ventilation.
    You will be rasping, not yelling. Be sure to gasp "Stat!" too. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Strange.. going by the comments in here thought every person on here was a qualified medical doctor.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I know zero zip nadda about medicine. Is it possible this is enough of a "wonder drug" that it could allow normal life to resume within the next say two months? The figures being posted look very promising

I'd say the best approach would be for them to actually treat people with it and get on top of things before they even announce that this is likely going to help the majority of people, simply because if they announce it before that point then we'll have so many idiots running around disregarding the possibility of it spreading further. Once they get things in control, they could have the contact tracing and isolation situation setup to work very well and gradually lift the restrictions

Not enough reserves of stock for medical staff, so they didn't want a run on the stuff in shops. Simple as that. It wasn't based on clinical opinion, much more on practical. Ditto for the CDC in the US, the NHS in the UK and so on.

Neither did Czechia, that's why they had a huge increase in people sewing their own homemade masks, and that's what I'm mostly talking about. Hopefully the Frontline staff have enough PPE now, I wonder if there's any news on that

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

So beta blockers and ace inhibitors do the same job, but in a different way? But people taking ace inhibitors have had a worse outcome against covid 19? Or am I reading it wrong?

sadie1502 wrote: »
    So beta blockers and ace inhibitors do the same job, but in a different way? But people taking ace inhibitors have had a worse outcome against covid 19? Or am I reading it wrong?

Beta blockers are better at controlling her heart rate which has a side effect of reducing your blood pressure. ACE inhibitors are first line medication for high blood pressure in under 55s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Ah right C thanks, cool read. That makes perfect sense of course. Like if you take testosterone for body building your nuts shrink and your natural production falls off a cliff as your body looks to getting back to stasis.

Though you may have missed the part where I said "oddball and almost certainly daft as fook". That's my baseline, anything beyond that is occasional and occasionally miraculous. :D

Haha there was some method in the madness I'll give you that ;)

I was looking at that paper as it also offered a mechanism by which ibuprofen could make Covid symptoms worse. I'm personally skeptical and think NSAIDs will prove beneficial in relieving symptoms but we shall see!

• Advertisement

Beta blockers are better at controlling her heart rate which has a side effect of reducing your blood pressure. ACE inhibitors are first line medication for high blood pressure in under 55s.

So they basically do the same thing. And the highest deaths seem to be in that category of people on those medications.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

So they basically do the same thing. And the highest deaths seem to be in that category of people on those medications.

Beta blockers and ACEi do the same thing the same way a tommy gun and a sniper rifle do the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

ACE and ACE2 do completely opposite things, raise and lower BP respectively. ACEi haven't been shown to have any effect on ACE2 in humans afaik.

SARS 1 did they not develop a vaccine? I thought they had a lot of research of developing a vaccine. How did they treat SARS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

iguana wrote: »
    Wouldn't anything wrapped around your mouth and nose help avoid spreading the virus? I had been wrapping a scarf a few times around my mouth and nose, sometimes with a dust mask under it for the last week that I was out. I've had a respiratory illness of some sort since the 18th and was last shopping a few hours before my symptoms started. If I do have Covid I'm hoping that having the scarf around my face will have protected anyone who was around me that day and the days before.

Ah yes iguana as long as it's not one that's full of holes design wise wrapping it a couple times will greatly reduce the viral load you would shed. I am using a penny's snood one of the fleece ones it will gather as much as any non PPE will and at least I can toss it in at 90c too

I'd love to make some homemade ones but I've no elastic, but plenty of cotton :D I can sow by hand but trying to see what is use in place of sewn on elastic

I don't want to use any cord like material as I don't know if the tightly twisted fibres will cleanse correctly even at 90c

I'm looking into using some light gardening wire instead but that entails having to cut 4 holes form the front of the mask to run them through so I'd probably be defeating the purpose of containing the viral load

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I'd love to make some homemade ones but I've no elastic, but plenty of cotton :D I can sow by hand but trying to see what is use in place of sewn on elastic
    Big rubber bands? Or ... ahem ... some knicker elastic from an old pair.

SARS 1 did they not develop a vaccine? I thought they had a lot of research of developing a vaccine. How did they treat SARS?

They said: phew, dodged a bullet there, thankfully nothing like that can ever happen again so no need to research coronavirus vaccines, treatment options etc.

They said: phew, dodged a bullet there, thankfully nothing like that can ever happen again so no need to research coronavirus vaccines, treatment options etc.

Really. Surly they knew it could happen again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Really. Surly they knew it could happen again.

They made the determination that anything they developed for sars would be of academic value only and would not be effective the next time a coronavirus emerged.

• Advertisement

There wasn't any money behind it essentially so the preliminary work didn't get far. And though SARS(and MERS) was a bit of a panic it was an easier virus to control as it wasn't as infectious and most of all you were really only infectious when you had clear symptoms. Covid is a bastard because it's both fairly infectious(though nothing like measles for example) and is infectious before you come down with symptoms. Though Hollywood loves an ebola type virus in disaster films it's not ever likely to go pandemic. Again because you're clearly horribly unwell when you become infectious and it isn't as easy to transmit, so it tends to be spread among close family members, health workers and funeral practices rather than wider community spread.

Advertisement