Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin combination being touted as a Corona treatment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The French have started using the treatment after looking at some evidence

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Here's hoping the results are positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/trump-says-us-officials-should-have-good-idea-if-malaria-drug-works-on-coronavirus-in-three-days.html

President Donald Trump said U.S. health officials should have a “good idea” whether an anti-malaria drug being tested as a treatment for COVID-19 is effective in fighting the coronavirus in “the next three days.”

“Hydroxychloroquine is something that I have been pushing very hard,” Trump said Monday morning during an interview on Fox News. “I think we’re going to have a good idea over the next three days because it’s been used now in New York at my request -- 1,100 people. It’s been used. I think that’s better than testing it in a laboratory. But the doctors tell me no.”

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

silverharp wrote: »

Jesus Christ I do hope the drugs work but if it does Trump will be unbearable. It will be like he was responsible himself for it.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Jesus Christ I do hope the drugs work but if it does Trump will be unbearable. It will be like he was responsible himself for it.

Can't wait for him to gloat over it. :D

He makes the best cures. Big beautiful cures.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alun wrote: »
    I have a cousin in the UK who has lupus, and she takes hydroxychloroquine for this. There are no reported shortages so far, but she's naturally very concerned.

Is it to build up the immune system?

I wouldnt worry, Im sure CNN will say he is doing pharma companies out of profits :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

In the USA the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has just granted physicians an emergency authorization to prescribe chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to certain patients with COVID-19 symptoms. This decision was based on initial successes with them in Europe. And the HHS will begin accepting tens of millions of doses for distribution to hot spots around the nation.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Marsden35 wrote: »
    Can't wait for him to gloat over it. :D

He makes the best cures. Big beautiful cures.

this one will be a tremendous cure

He deserves to be. The biased media condemned him for even mentioning the drugs a few weeks ago. According to our lovely media it's the Everything Orange Man Bad Crisis over here, don't you know.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There is no downside for Trump in touting a drug treatment that may be successful and pushing hard for it against normal protocols. If it proves a successful treatment he will be lauded. Not just by his supporters but by a lot of people who were on the fence about him. Cutting up the red tape and saving thousands of lives and letting us get back to our lives asap will make people who had little opinion on him or disliked him a bit feel grateful. He's like the hero of the movie who cut through the bull**** protocols and tested the drug on themselves, saving the world. Even a lot of people who despise him will be reluctantly grateful that his disregard for normal rules worked out and let our lives resume.

If the treatment proves to be of little use, his supporters won't blame him for getting people's hopes up, they will still applaud him for trying. And he's free to jump on board the train of the next great hope. People who think he's an idiot will continue to think he's an idiot. A lot of people who are on the fence about him might even start thinking 'at least he tried' as this drags on. If the drugs end up killing people, his supports will just shrug it off as they would have died anyway.

And while Trump isn't a genius of any kind, he's smart enough to know that. He's not an idiot baby blindly insisting on one treatment because he's not smart enough to understand how drug trials work. He knows damn well that there are plenty of reasons for the way these things normally work. But that in this situation he has absolutely nothing to lose by publicly championing these drugs and so, so much to gain if he's picked the right ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

iguana wrote: »
    There is no downside for Trump in touting a drug treatment that may be successful and pushing hard for it against normal protocols. If it proves a successful treatment he will be lauded. Not just by his supporters but by a lot of people who were on the fence about him. Cutting up the red tape and saving thousands of lives and letting us get back to our lives asap will make people who had little opinion on him or disliked him a bit feel grateful. He's like the hero of the movie who cut through the bull**** protocols and tested the drug on themselves, saving the world. Even a lot of people who despise him will be reluctantly grateful that his disregard for normal rules worked out and let our lives resume.

If the treatment proves to be of little use, his supporters won't blame him for getting people's hopes up, they will still applaud him for trying. And he's free to jump on board the train of the next great hope. People who think he's an idiot will continue to think he's an idiot. A lot of people who are on the fence about him might even start thinking 'at least he tried' as this drags on. If the drugs end up killing people, his supports will just shrug it off as they would have died anyway.

And while Trump isn't a genius of any kind, he's smart enough to know that. He's not an idiot baby blindly insisting on one treatment because he's not smart enough to understand how drug trials work. He knows damn well that there are plenty of reasons for the way these things normally work. But that in this situation he has absolutely nothing to lose by publicly championing these drugs and so, so much to gain if he's picked the right ones.

I read this n I was like, "WTF"?

Then I see you're a moderator of "soap operas" and it made perfect sense.

I read this n I was like, "WTF"?

Then I see you're a moderator of "soap operas" and it made perfect sense.

What were you WTFing about? Trump is playing politics. Touting a drug that may work but that he has no really clue about has no downside for him in the current political environment. His supporters will love him regardless. But if it this treatment proves successful the fact that he pushed hard for normal protocols to be sped up will make him a hero to people who normally don't care for him. And he knows that. He's not a particularly smart man but he is smart enough to know how to play this particular game.

notobtuse wrote: »
    In the USA the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has just granted physicians an emergency authorization to prescribe chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to certain patients with COVID-19 symptoms. This decision was based on initial successes with them in Europe. And the HHS will begin accepting tens of millions of doses for distribution to hot spots around the nation.

Where was the success in Europe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Where was the success in Europe?

France have done two trials.

One of 6 patients and one of 80. Of the 80 patient trial (results came out 27 March) one died and one is in intensive care.

I personally don't judge that as a complete success but the authors of report on the trial do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

was this info posted here ?
    https://www.trustnodes.com/2020/03/29/italy-finally-starts-mass-treatment-with-hydroxychloroquine

- on hydroxychloroquine - in my home country it is also part of the treatment for coronavirus patients that have developed pneumonia (critical and less critical cases); currently they've around 10% cases recovered, when first reported case was on 25 Feb (currently, total cases per 1 million population is at 110, and 3 deaths per million). Things would get worse back there next weeks, but at least seeing they've couple of hundreds recovered gives me some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

mvl wrote: »
    was this info posted here ?
    https://www.trustnodes.com/2020/03/29/italy-finally-starts-mass-treatment-with-hydroxychloroquine

- on hydroxychloroquine - in my home country it is also part of the treatment for coronavirus patients that have developed pneumonia (critical and less critical cases); currently they've around 10% cases recovered, when first reported case was on 25 Feb (currently, total cases per 1 million population is at 110, and 3 deaths per million). Things would get worse back there next weeks, but at least seeing they've couple of hundreds recovered gives me some hope.

On this basis it looks like a home run for the Orange lad. You’d have to hand it to him if this plays out in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

AmberGold wrote: »
    On this basis it looks like a home run for the Orange lad. You’d have to hand it to him if this plays out in his favour.

This isn't a research paper. I love how the GP has ethical reservations about a trial at such an advanced stage of the outbreak but no eithical dilemmas about treating patients with unproven drugs inc. azithromycin for some reason?

• Advertisement

This isn't a research paper. I love how the GP has ethical reservations about a trial at such an advanced stage of the outbreak but no eithical dilemmas about treating patients with unproven drugs inc. azithromycin for some reason?
    If you or one of your loved ones would get COVID-19 and lying on your deathbed... would you turn it down or deny your loved ones the treatment? Common sense people... what is there to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Another study from China - agin hard to tell but reduction in number of days with fever and 0 progressed to ICU in the HCL group / 4 from the control group.

https://twitter.com/ColinGiacobi/status/1244956105802801152

EUb54MLXsAEpfFk?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Currently taking Azithromycin Teva 250mg tablets (One per day) + Hydroxchloroquine Sulphate 200mg (one X 3 times daily)

Issued by hospital pharmacy after being admitted for 4 days last week. Tested positive. Back at home now in isolation but improving every day. Not sure if it is the meds but I'm sleeping a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

manster wrote: »
    Currently taking Azithromycin Teva 250mg tablets (One per day) + Hydroxchloroquine Sulphate 200mg (one X 3 times daily)

Issued by hospital pharmacy after being admitted for 4 days last week. Tested positive. Back at home now in isolation but improving every day. Not sure if it is the meds but I'm sleeping a lot.

thanks for the update, best of luck & a smooth recovery !

Ireland or somewhere else?

Take Care, if you are out of hospital you must be on the mend which is good

Is Teva antibiotics?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Is Teva antibiotics?
    Yep. Azithromycin is commonly enough administered for bacterial pneumonia.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Under what condition would this treatment be administered? Would it be given prophylactically to asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic confirmed cases? With what we are learning about the virus that would seem unnecessary unless the patient was quite elderly or has relevant underlying health issues. Or only when a patient has started having severe symptoms but before they turn critical?

iguana wrote: »
    Under what condition would this treatment be administered? Would it be given prophylactically to asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic confirmed cases? With what we are learning about the virus that would seem unnecessary unless the patient was quite elderly or has relevant underlying health issues. Or only when a patient has started having severe symptoms but before they turn critical?

anecdotally some physicians in the US seem to be taking prophylactically , but then again they would be high risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep. Azithromycin is commonly enough administered for bacterial pneumonia.

I had to take it last year and my GP only gave it to be as a last resort and it did clear everything up but it really took a lot out of me, it was a case that the cure was wore than the illness but at least it worked.

Had to stay out of direct sunlight as well which was fun in the summer.

Advertisement