Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

Runaways wrote: »
    I remember fruit of the loom pulling out of donegal and the damage it caused

Baazs point stands.

We should start restructuring and stop depending so heavily on FDI. These companies could well be all leaving after all this.

Even if they don’t we should have a fall back plan in action anyways

We have a nimble enough economy but if one domino falls in terms of an apple or Pfizer leaving they all will

Do SF have plans for that?

Because they have done very little to improve NI's economy. It is still massively dependant on State funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I remember an Ireland before large scale American FDI. It was a really bleak situation. I don't see any viable alternative for Irish employment, tbh.

If you look at Europe, regional areas are depopulating towards larger cities. If we do risk FDI here, we should be aware that it's not easy to replace those jobs, people move to where there is work, which further weakens regional areas etc. It becomes a vicious circle.

Even from the last recession there's areas of Ireland which haven't recovered, and at this stage actually might never recover. I would say only 10% of the people I know who grew up west of the Shannon have any intention of returning to their home towns.

No easy fix to it either.

Not if we're lead by donkeys anyway. They don't want to do heavy lifting. Making us a offshore tax haven for big business takes only a few strokes of a pen. Growing domestic industry and corporations requires considerable effort, abstract thinking and selfless effort.something beyond FFG.

Because they have done very little to improve NI's economy. It is still massively dependant on State funding.

Noone has it seems

Its a glaring obvious flaw and noone wants to touch it....anyone who deos broach the subject is ridiculed and shot down for fear of upsetting apple type compamies.....its a form of collective censorship,that discussion on this is shut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

As ive said a free trade deal with india could eaaily wipe out our IT over night....tell me again how basing an econmy on this sector is wise?

Noone said pharma companies dont benefit??,nowhere have i remotely implied this??

DO you understand what IT companies are doing in Ireland?

Let take Apple out of it, what are they doing>?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Do they have full say over NI's finances?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    DO you understand what IT companies are doing in Ireland?

Let take Apple out of it, what are they doing>?

Seems a truely bizzare method of debating to immediately exclude one of largest componants from the discussion?

What is point of that?
    (Plz.dont start cursing)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

That’s little or nothing to do with SF

NI is a basket case and could be an unstable society/tinderbox quite quickly.
    And the Brits have never and will never do anything to fix that.
    No way is any FDI headed up there.

Unite the country get rid of that bull sh!t green orange deadlock and make it obsolete and it’ll be boom time.

We’re respected around the world by these multinationals and know How to attract them and look after them when here.

That’s what NI needs and it would be a benefit to us all. But NI people especially

smurgen wrote: »
    Not if we're lead by donkeys anyway. They don't want to do heavy lifting. Making us a offshore tax haven for big business takes only a few strokes of a pen. Growing domestic industry and corporations requires considerable effort, abstract thinking and selfless effort.something beyond FFG.

That is incredibly unfair. Ireland went from one of the poorest states in Europe in the 1950's to one of the wealthiest now. That is down to good governance.

NI's economy is one of the worst regions in the UK, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Do they have full say over NI's finances?
    Same old same old from the Shinner scum but that doesnt stop Mascara Michelle and Miniskirt Martina coming out and spouting ****e about what they can do

That’s little or nothing to do with SF

NI is a basket case and could be an unstable society/tinderbox quite quickly.
    And the Brits have never and will never do anything to fix that.
    No way is any FDI headed up there.

Unite the country get rid of that bull sh!t green orange deadlock and make it obsolete and it’ll be boom time.

We’re respected around the world by these multinationals and know How to attract them and look after them when here.

That’s what NI needs and it would be a benefit to us all. But NI people especially

England pumps billions into NI every year. Circa 70% of the economy in NI is State supported. (An old figure, so happy if anyone wants to pull up recent figures)

• Advertisement

That is incredibly unfair. Ireland went from one of the poorest states in Europe in the 1950's to one of the wealthiest now. That is down to good governance.

But a school child can see that particular brand if cute-hoorism hiding behind a sh1t corp.tax rate and calling it development isnt going to last long term

Moves have been underway last 5-6 years and can only see them.being intensified in a cash short post covid crisis tbh
    NI's economy is one of the worst regions in the UK, btw.

Its long since time,that was under dublin control.tbh

But a school child can see that particular brand if cute-hoorism hiding behind a sh1t corp.tax rate and calling it development isnt going to last long term

Moves have been underway last 5-6 years and can only see them.being intensified in a cash short post covid crisis tbh

Its long since time,that was under dublin control.tbh

What moves?

FDI has been brilliant for Ireland. Why don't you think it can last long term?

England pumps billions into NI every year. Circa 70% of the economy in NI is State supported. (An old figure, so happy if anyone wants to pull up recent figures)

I’m well aware.
    And so it will remain. But I can see the Brits getting very nervous soon and looking at the books and making some serious decisions about Unnecessary expenditure. And NI is top of that list.

Look at the spat about the UK EU office in Belfast.
    The Brits have no interest in maintaining a presence.
    That’s going to grow legs.

What moves?

FDI has been brilliant for Ireland. Why don't you think it can last long term?

You may have missed out on the whole apple/eu tax and 13 billion,which ireland for reasons only known to FG are spending millions defending apples right not to pay tax,for one point

Trump wont be the last america 1st president,the next will.likely be much more effective and actually get many companies repatriated....several potential free trade agreements over next 12-17 years can severly undermine vital sectors of irish econmy

The burying head in sand and pretending there isnt massive risks in medium term is truely shocking across all parties in ireland....do you honestly think apple will only be paying .05% tax on eu earnings indefinetly and any increase in tax will undermine our tax haven status??

I’m well aware.
    And so it will remain. But I can see the Brits getting very nervous soon and looking at the books and making some serious decisions about Unnecessary expenditure. And NI is top of that list.

Look at the spat about the UK EU office in Belfast.
    The Brits have no interest in maintaining a presence.
    That’s going to grow legs.

Possibly, I'm not so sure.

25 years after the GFA the real question should be why England still has to prop up the economy there?

When the state support goes, you can expect to see a large population decline if the jobs go too.

You may have missed out on the whole apple/eu tax and 13 billion,which ireland for reasons only known to FG are spending millions defending apples right not to pay tax,for one point

Trump wont be the last america 1st president,the next will.likely be much more effective and actually get many companies repatriated....several potential free trade agreements over next 12-17 years can severly undermine vital sectors of irish econmy

The burying head in sand and pretending there isnt massive risks in medium term is truely shocking across all parties in ireland....do you honestly think apple will only be paying .05% tax on eu earnings indefinetly and any increase in tax will undermine our tax haven status??

I can definitely see an America First policy damaging Ireland's economy. It's not good news for us generally, but not sure it will lead to the shutting down of plants here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I don't think this is true...Apple have no hold over the money. They have paid it. It is in escrow because Ireland has appealed and the Minister for Finance is the holder of the account. Apple's appeal does not bar the release of the escrow money. Once we drop the appeal there is nothing legally stopping the money coming out of Escrow.
    Apple can still continue pursuing their appeal.

I linked to an RTE report backing what I said. All I see are people 'telling' me that is wrong. They haven't backed it up with a source. So once again..back it up or it's just your word against somebody else's.

Fair enough on that. Mea cupla.

Your first point is complete and utter BS. Once the matter is under appeal then the funds are in escrow - who is party to the appeal doesn’t come into it.
    As always, facts and the truth are irrelevant when it comes to blindly parroting the party line

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Baazs point stands.

We should start restructuring and stop depending so heavily on FDI. These companies could well be all leaving after all this.

We have a nimble enough economy but if one domino falls in terms of an apple or Pfizer leaving they all will

Care to elaborate on what you mean by this? Restructure what and how do you propose to direct this emergent structure?

What should our industrial policy be and what changes do you think are needed in the education, science, technology and taxation policies?

This smacks of more Shinnernomics - throw a word or phrase around that describes some nebulous end-point, then provide no ideas or details on how to get there.

I can definitely see an America First policy damaging Ireland's economy. It's not good news for us generally, but not sure it will lead to the shutting down of plants here.

Tbh the covid damage done to american econmy is an immediate threat to our econmy...we need to work to limit our exposure to.american econmy long term too.....

They can no longer be regarded as a stable country (they are running deficits with years that would horrify your most ill-taught out shinner...when that catches up.with them it wont be pretty...we need to avoid being caught up.in that inevitable clusterfcuk)

I don't think this is true...Apple have no hold over the money. They have paid it. It is in escrow because Ireland has appealed and the Minister for Finance is the holder of the account. Apple's appeal does not bar the release of the escrow money. Once we drop the appeal there is nothing legally stopping the money coming out of Escrow.
    Apple can still continue pursuing their appeal.

I linked to an RTE report backing what I said. All I see are people 'telling' me that is wrong. They haven't backed it up with a source. So once again..back it up or it's just your word against somebody else's.

Fair enough on that. Mea cupla.

On your second point - I’ve back it up. I’ve linked you to extracts from the US Senate report that details Apple legal structures. But again - facts that don’t suit the narrative are ignored, and we get yet another falsehood that “nobody has backed it up” - a bit of honest debating once and again wouldn’t go astray francie
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

So you want to do away with low corporate taxes, but you expect indigenous firms to grow to become corporations.......riiiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Jizique

Baazs point stands.

Fruit of the Loom....
    Low value added jobs making unbranded T-shirt’s and undergarments in a global industry; that was never going to work long term.
    Big difference between that and medical devices in Galway or Apple in Cork or any of the other high tech industries spread around the country.

Possibly, I'm not so sure.

25 years after the GFA the real question should be why England still has to prop up the economy there?

When the state support goes, you can expect to see a large population decline if the jobs go too.

There’s population decline already. The kids are going to college down here or in Britain and not returning to NI.

The question Britain certainly is going to ask is why are we paying for that? We get nothing back.

Hello there border poll and that’ll be that.

Seems a truely bizzare method of debating to immediately exclude one of largest componants from the discussion?

What is point of that?
    (Plz.dont start cursing)

You mention India

I am just wondering do you understand what IT companies do in Ireland? what is the concern about India?

Jizique wrote: »
    Fruit of the Loom....
    Low value added jobs making unbranded T-shirt’s and undergarments in a global industry; that was never going to work long term.
    Big difference between that and medical devices in Galway or Apple in Cork or any of the other high tech industries spread around the country.

This is the point, I just wonder do people understand what the companies are doing in Ireland>?

There’s population decline already. The kids are going to college down here or in Britain and not returning to NI.

The question Britain certainly is going to ask is why are we paying for that? We get nothing back.

Hello there border poll and that’ll be that.

They haven't asked it yet, it would be a rational thing to do from a UK perspective, but I'm not sure such things are guided by reason.

Why can't the NI economy be fixed?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This is the point, I just wonder do people understand what the companies are doing in Ireland>?

What are they doing here,they cant do cheaper elsewhere,??

Boys thinking tax evasion is good,so long.as keeps people employed (pretty much this was semtiment of an earlier post of yours) are walking blindly into trouble

Its basic leadership.to idemtify medium term risks like......in post covid cash shortage,theres no money left to take from middle class and no country for corporations to put their money into.....unless ecb prints obscene sums of money,(which in ireland will lead to housing market bubble that will be worse than celtic tiger...new taxes needed to target curtailing this area short term).....corporate tax rates will rise

They haven't asked it yet, it would be a rational thing to do from a UK perspective, but I'm not sure such things are guided by reason.

Why can't the NI economy be fixed?

It will never be fixed as it stands. Heavens knows what it will be like when this settles down. But absolutely Britain is going to cut costs. I’d almost bet NI gets cut free. Leaving aside whether we’ll all vote in unison for a second, a UI would be a massive economic boon for the whole island and employment and society up there especially. They’re getting nowhere ever as things stand. Just worse. A DUP member today blaming abortion and gays for gods vengeance / corona.

It’s 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blackwhite wrote: »
    Your first point is complete and utter BS. Once the matter is under appeal then the funds are in escrow - who is party to the appeal doesn’t come into it.
    As always, facts and the truth are irrelevant when it comes to blindly parroting the party line

I think you are wrong here.

The funds have been paid by Apple. They have no more say on what happens them only what we agreed with them should happen
    We appealed the ruling so the funds were put in Escrow under the control of our Minister of Finance. We agreed with Apple to appoint the Bank of America as a custodian of the money..we didn't have to do that.
    If we drop the appeal the money continues to it's destination and whatever is decided by the countries with a claim on it, legally. The only thing stopping that is our agreement with Apple, which I don't know is legally binding or a gentleman's agreement.
    Apple can continue to appeal and if they win, demand repayment. But they have zero say on what happens the money until then if we want it to be that way.

blackwhite wrote: »
    On your second point - I’ve back it up. I’ve linked you to extracts from the US Senate report that details Apple legal structures. But again - facts that don’t suit the narrative are ignored, and we get yet another falsehood that “nobody has backed it up” - a bit of honest debating once and again wouldn’t go astray francie
    :rolleyes:

Ok...I looked at it again.
    Here is the EU saying it themselves.
    I will take the EU's word on what was happening, not the US's, if that is ok.
    Apple Sales International holds the right to use Apple's intellectual property to sell and manufacture Apple products outside North and South America. In exchange of this right, it makes payments to Apple in the US to contribute to the development of this intellectual property – often more than 2 billion US dollars per year.

In practice, Apple Sales International buys Apple products from their manufacturers. It sells these products throughout Europe, as well as in the Middle East, Africa and India. And then records all sales in Ireland.

No matter if you buy your iPhone at the Apple Store in Berlin, Rome or elsewhere in these regions, contractually you buy it from Apple Sales International in Cork in Ireland. This is how Apple decided to set it up. It means that all profits coming from those sales are recorded in Ireland.

Do you accept now (in the interests of honest debate) that there are two sides to this story?

• Advertisement

I think you are wrong here.

The funds have been paid by Apple. They have no more say on what happens them only what we agreed with them should happen
    We appealed the ruling so the funds were put in Escrow under the control of our Minister of Finance. We agreed with Apple to appoint the Bank of America as a custodian of the money..we didn't have to do that.
    If we drop the appeal the money continues to it's destination and whatever is decided by the countries with a claim on it, legally. The only thing stopping that is our agreement with Apple, which I don't know is legally binding or a gentleman's agreement.
    Apple can continue to appeal and if they win, demand repayment. But they have zero say on what happens the money until then if we want it to be that way.

Ok...I looked at it again.
    Here is the EU saying it themselves.
    I will take the EU's word on what was happening, not the US's, if that is ok.

Do you accept now (in the interests of honest debate) that there are two sides to this story?

You haven’t a clue TBH.

The escrow argument is utter BS - same applies in Irish law as does under EU regulations. Once an appeal is launched then the award/damages or in this case a fine is either suspended or paid and held in escrow until the appeal is finalised. But of course, admitting that might undermine Mary Lou’s nonsense about using the Apple money for the current crisis so everyone here knows you could never bring yourself to admit that :rolleyes:

On the Apple legal structures - there’s no “two sides” to the story. There’s the legal facts of the matter, and the usual Francie rubbish on not being able to understand something, and then claiming that whatever you’ve imagined is the same as the actual facts.
    ASI buys the product from the Apple manufacturing entities. It then sells the product to Apple entities in the destination counties who sell to the end or else it sells on to third party distributors. This is all documented in the EU case, and in the US Senate report.
    You being incapable of reading the full reports, and instead cherry-picking snapshots that you think mean something different doesn’t mean that’s there’s suddenly a set of Trumpian alternate facts that you can claim are equally valid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement