Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In all seriousness though, it started slower than a typical B race and it took a few minutes to get used to that. it was slow but surge-y (is that a word). Once I got used to it not being a normal race, I stayed near the front, looked like people were holding back for the sprint but it was a 30km race. It was the closest to an A3 race I have had on Zwift so far. A few attempts at breaks off the front by myself or others, but nothing serious, I flicked into negative racing mode shortly after and chased down every break and dragged it back together. We got close to the end and I took a few long drags on the hill in an attempt to break up the party. Figured it was easier to sprint against 10 rather than 30 and it worked well, we split the front group again and brought it down to about 15, more importantly we shelled almost all of the strong Irish riders bar one. I copped the strongest Irish lad left in the group, and decided if nothing else, I was pipping him at the end. Everyone slowed down a good bit about 1.5km out, then again at 1km out, we had alot of time and people were watching each other. I tried to slow up but there was too many changes going on and I ended up starting early. A slight downhill less than 1km to go and I ramped up, didn't shake anyone off so I sat back down, resting for 5 seconds and then people came round me. I restarted my sprint at just under 300m to go having most of the group come round. A weaker sprint than normal as I had been at the front too much, picked the wrong gear (double guessing myself) and never got the speed I needed to win but still placed in the top 5 overall. Annoyed with my finish but happy overall. I beat the other Irish rider by 0.5seconds so nothing else really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Simple post race review from CI RD 10.

Shelled from lead group on first lap, held off the rest bar two until last descent then nabbed on the line in a 3 up sprint after going 300 out, should have waited longer.

I may get 5th or 6th in the CI result.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Sorry for the stupid question but new to training with power and struggling to get my head around something. The nice weather has meant I took a break from Zwift and went outside. I have been running a lot lately so just did some easy rides with a couple of hard efforts in the middle. The last 2 days I have gotten back from the rides and seen my FTP has increased on intervals.icu website I did a hard 5 mins effort on day 1 and it went from 253-257 and then yesterday tried to hold over 300watts for as long as possible managed 10mins was tough but I'm pretty sure i've worked harder in zwift races and I had very sore legs going into it from running hard. Intervals site tells me now my FTP has gone to 268watts based off that effort. I'm using same power meter indoor and outdoor it's crank based single sided. Is it possible that your FTP could be diifferent on and off the trainer ? Not sure whether to change FTP on Zwift now for training sessions. Thanks.

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Sorry for the stupid question but new to training with power and struggling to get my head around something. The nice weather has meant I took a break from Zwift and went outside. I have been running a lot lately so just did some easy rides with a couple of hard efforts in the middle. The last 2 days I have gotten back from the rides and seen my FTP has increased on intervals.icu website I did a hard 5 mins effort on day 1 and it went from 253-257 and then yesterday tried to hold over 300watts for as long as possible managed 10mins was tough but I'm pretty sure i've worked harder in zwift races and I had very sore legs going into it from running hard. Intervals site tells me now my FTP has gone to 268watts based off that effort. I'm using same power meter indoor and outdoor it's crank based single sided. Is it possible that your FTP could be diifferent on and off the trainer ? Not sure whether to change FTP on Zwift now for training sessions. Thanks.
    It's been seen before where short efforts are significantly lower on stationary trainers than out on the road, where as longer 20 minute intervals are pretty much the same (or close enough). My guess is that you can engage alot more muscles from all over the place to drive through the pedals for 1 minute and 5 minute efforts, whereas 20minute efforts your just trying to stay in your zone and probably seated and less movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Depending on your set up heat can play a big part indoors too. Unless your using a good fan your losing some power to heat indoors. Even more than you would have outside with our good weather the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well I managed to do vEverest and not die on Saturday. Some craic in that heat but the 14 of us did it, raised a chunk of cash for Croi and after 15hrs in the saddle I clocked up 9000m and 222kms to get the badge.

Next I'm gonna just jump in front of a train. :D

Is Cram heading for the follow up win tonight???

I may race myself but i've 1.5 hrs to do beforehand that may empty the tank.

dahat wrote: »

I am very doubtful, helluva busy few days in work, and just home to provide childcare, even the coffee is doing nothing. I'll try and get out to it but unless I get a second wind, I won't be gunning for glory.

You obviously held enough in the tank. I seen you on my wheel in the first half and then you and 12 others breaking away, I bridged over and dragged it back together but I had nothing for the sprint, couldn't get over 500W after those two lads broke early (b*stards) and I second guessed myself. I was in 9th at 1km and despite trying to ramp up, couldn't close any of ye down. Well done, I think thats your CI win in the bag.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You obviously held enough in the tank. I seen you on my wheel in the first half and then you and 12 others breaking away, I bridged over and dragged it back together but I had nothing for the sprint, couldn't get over 500W after those two lads broke early (b*stards) and I second guessed myself. I was in 9th at 1km and despite trying to ramp up, couldn't close any of ye down. Well done, I think thats your CI win in the bag.

Yeah , i raced to win tonight and it went pretty much to plan until last 100 yards. All race I felt well in control with one little dig to see if I could shake a few off as the group was pretty big. I was pegged back pretty quickly so sat in after that for the gallop.

One or two lit it up around 700 out I think and I took the bait as normal. I picked up one and was in front until 75 out and hung on for ZP 3rd & first Irish. I did expect you to follow my wheel as I'm too impatient to wait so lm always a good wheel to get fwiw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

I did the latest CI race (C) & managed to get into the 2nd group and hold on... found it much more enjoyable racing it instead of just killing myself to hold power, finished around 30th or so but when I checked Zwiftpower it was like 15th or something.. does that mean everyone else got DQ'd?

S_D wrote: »
    I did the latest CI race (C) & managed to get into the 2nd group and hold on... found it much more enjoyable racing it instead of just killing myself to hold power, finished around 30th or so but when I checked Zwiftpower it was like 15th or something.. does that mean everyone else got DQ'd?

Two things, a few will have been DQd but alot of people don't use ZwiftPower, more obvious in C and D I think

Yeah , i raced to win tonight and it went pretty much to plan until last 100 yards. All race I felt well in control with one little dig to see if I could shake a few off as the group was pretty big. I was pegged back pretty quickly so sat in after that for the gallop.

One or two lit it up around 700 out I think and I took the bait as normal. I picked up one and was in front until 75 out and hung on for ZP 3rd & first Irish. I did expect you to follow my wheel as I'm too impatient to wait so lm always a good wheel to get fwiw.
    I would have only when those two lads went I realised my sprint was going to be very short. I knew they weren't Irish so I was hoping they'd be let go but everyone followed and that wasn't for me. Fair play for hanging in there as it went from a long way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

S_D wrote: »
    when I checked Zwiftpower it was like 15th or something.. does that mean everyone else got DQ'd?
    Not everyone registers on zwift power, and my understanding is it does a few extra things to check for sandbagging. Haven't done too many races/ results focused stuff, but I always go with Zwift Power result because ego!

Today's announcement looks like the Cycle Ireland series will end at 12 races. It's been a good series that definitely helped keep a competitive edge during this period.

I'm just annoyed I missed the early races and any chance of a top 3 overall with it.

Today's announcement looks like the Cycle Ireland series will end at 12 races. It's been a good series that definitely helped keep a competitive edge during this period.

I'm just annoyed I missed the early races and any chance of a top 3 overall with it.

I think they always planned for 12 weeks, only fair way to run a league, you need an end date. I presume the sprinters league will run for a good bit longer until interest dies down.

Cycle Ireland Rd 11 review..

Dropped again on first lap, never got back on. Waited for sending group then suffered for the rest but managed to get inside top 10 on ZP.

My non smart turbo set up is catching me out on ramps but not enough to warrant getting one just yet.

Hard days graft.

I missed the race but you obviously worked well to stay within a minute or so of the winners. I raced that circuit on Tuesday and it's tough, you really need to save a few mini sprints for the hills just to keep on. Any gap on the cobbled section and your dropped.

This said I done Alpe du Zwift later in the day and managed it in under 50minutes which was a first. I kept an eye on my PR on each section and just made a point of beating it at every turn, which I managed bar once I think. The last stretch was tough though, hadn't enough to even get out of the saddle let alone sprint

Yeah I lost like 10 seconds they become 30 fairly quick then being on my own didn't help with the effort to get back on. My warm up finshes 30 mins before start time so I'm wondering should I finish that closer to keep the legs alive longer.

I'm pretty sure one of the guys in my club who has been at zwift along time finishes his warm up alot closer to start time as you'd cool to much otherwise. Personally I take the unscientific, old school method and warm up in the race.

• Advertisement

I'd rather not warm up in the first few mins if a race,I'd be shelled far too early.

Next week if still B I run the warm up to 15mins beforehand. Though the course is tough again, Knickerbocker or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I warm up to the last possible moment! I try to get about 40-50mins done, 20-25mins before joining, then another 20-25 whilst in the start pen listening to some music getting the adrenaline going. Grab 4 espressos about 20mins before the off, calibrate power meter and kickr, toilet and off we go! The trip to the toilet is normally when ill finish the warmup, about 3/4 mins before starting.

11th for me today according to ZP, survived until the last time up the first hill. Should have worked harder to stay there but got caught out as we lapped loads of people on the climb. I was too late looking at the time gaps thinking some ahead were the pack i was with. It likely didn’t matter though as i wouldn’t have survived the last drag to the finish. I think I’m 7th or 8th Irish so points again, I’ve now scored in every race I’ve done, had wifi issues 1 race which i abandoned but have managed top 10 in all others. Im worried they might use the Alpe for the last round next week! If they do i dont think I’m bothered doing it. It would be nice if they finished on a 60km+ race, some decent distance would be good.

Race next week is on the NY Knickerbocker course.One big lump on it, maxes out at 17% I think.

A couple of midweek recons ahead for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

That's a hard course! That section is a killer and goes on long enough to do real damage

Can't wait...

At least its the last one then I can go back to try winning crits.

Race next week is on the NY Knickerbocker course.One big lump on it, maxes out at 17% I think.

A couple of midweek recons ahead for me anyway.

One or two laps?

Not sure yet, was only told earlier the course by a fellow Zwifter who has been correct each week.

Latest series to be run by Cycle Ireland starting June 20th.

Cycling Ireland eRacing World Classics

Saturday 20th June Cycling Ireland Innsbruck Classic 47.2km, Elevation 988m

Saturday 27th June Cycling Ireland Watopia Classic 42.1km, Elevation 334m

Saturday 4th July Cycling Ireland Yorkshire Classic 27.6km, Elevation 735m

Saturday 11th July Cycling Ireland London Classic 36.2km, Elevation 407m

Saturday 18th July Cycling Ireland Richmond Classic 48.6km, Elevation 471m

Saturday 25th July Cycling Ireland New York Classic 34.2km, Elevation 525m

I'll not be B grade so these will be fun!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Half tempted to give one a go..not a racer by any means, but lockdown weight loss and an apparent increase in power and ability to suffer might see me faster than I thought in a zwift setting

• Advertisement

Why not give one a lash? Plenty lads in the B group will be A by next week so that should tighten up the grade for racing.

I've loved the series done to date,mad craic.

Advertisement