Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Any advice on how to protect my B status for a little longer?

Maybe do longer races to try avoid the 4wk/kg bracket?

Gain a couple of kilo's? dishonest i know but....

Also can the almost A flag be removed after a period if you don't make A grade?

Not really, it takes your best 3 races over 90 days I think. So doing less won't change it, they have this to stop people gaming the system by riding easy in other races. 1 or 2 more races at that power and you'll be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Any advice on how to protect my B status for a little longer?

Maybe do longer races to try avoid the 4wk/kg bracket?

Gain a couple of kilo's? dishonest i know but....

Also can the almost A flag be removed after a period if you don't make A grade?

It's not based on average w/kg. It can be based off a 5 minute average w/kg or 20 minute average w/kg.

You averaged 4.3 w/kg for the 25 minute race last night and have been averaging 4 w/kg or over the last couple of races. Technically you should be in the A category.

Why don't you want to upgrade? Plenty of lads in A just about averaging 4 w/kg. You'll be fine in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's not based on average w/kg. It can be based off a 5 minute average w/kg or 20 minute average w/kg.

You averaged 4.3 w/kg for the 25 minute race last night and have been averaging 4 w/kg or over the last couple of races. Technically you should be in the A category.

Why don't you want to upgrade? Plenty of lads in A just about averaging 4 w/kg. You'll be fine in it.

It's not a matter of not wanting to upgrade i'd like to win a Cycle Ireland race before upgrading. That won't happen in the A grade in anything over 20-22 mins.

It's not a matter of not wanting to upgrade i'd like to win a Cycle Ireland race before upgrading. That won't happen in the A grade in anything over 20-22 mins.

I'd like to win a CI Zwift race. That's not going to happen in the A category unless a serious amount of people have connection issues but it doesn't mean I'm going to drop down to the B category.

You meet the criteria to race in A so race in A. Or don't. But sandbagging seems like a waste of time.

Also if you add a load of weight to stay in B and then are made upgrade after your win you might be DQ'd in A races for shedding a load of weight really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Well we ended up with only 4 and it was pretty torturous. Spent a bit too long on the front in the first lap and really slumped afterwards. Wattage down 15w from last week. Sometimes the legs just don't go as well as you want them too.

Was a tough one. Glad to say we put 2.30mins into yee!! I averaged 4.2w/kg for the 52mins. Felt every min of it. Looking forward to next week's ttt

• Advertisement

Alas if you crave winning, Cycling is one of the worst sports to pick IMO and as Jimmy pointed out, you'd be found out pretty quick if you tried to play the game but at this point, if you sandbag it, every B race you pick is going to be close to the promotion line to be a winner or over it, so to win a B race, your going to get disqualified regardless in most scenarios.

@Cram & Jimmie

It wasn't my intention to come across as striving to cheat just seen a few examples of playing the game as I use the platform, was meant as exploring the boundaries of what could be done to stay within the grade.

And yes I technically probably should be A grade & the upgrade will be justified so time to suck it up and give it a shot when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I've seen you in action, you rode away from me up a hill on the Orwell as if it was a descent!! If I'm a B, you're a B
    :D:D

ha! I remember that actually! Must have been on a good day :)

but yep...you're right... I am now a 'B', I had to un-enter and re-enter for tomorrow. I'm gonna get wiped out! :eek:

@Cram & Jimmie

It wasn't my intention to come across as striving to cheat just seen a few examples of playing the game as I use the platform, was meant as exploring the boundaries of what could be done to stay within the grade.

And yes I technically probably should be A grade & the upgrade will be justified so time to suck it up and give it a shot when the time comes.

Don't worry I'm sure I'll be able to keep you company on Saturday in the A's :D

Don't worry I'm sure I'll be able to keep you company on Saturday in the A's :D

I'm almost A but not quite there yet......thank god!!!!

• Advertisement

Well done today, nice 3rd place. I imagine you'll be up to A by the next time they update.

Killed myself today after only getting into the race as it started. I was standing at the start line and then realised everyone had left and I was 12 seconds down. Managed to catch a fairly decent sized bunch within the first few minutes without putting in much power at all which was surprising. 218 in the race, so I made a plan to just get over the 140th based on the group I had caught and its size. Already at 180 as we crested the first climb, 150th as we went up the main climb and only half way, 140th by the first semi plateau, which I misread as the descent and powered off to drop a few people, 130th before we hit the tower bit at the top. I had been working with some lad in Pink and we steadily picked off riders like a fruit picker working their way round an orchard. As we climbed the last bit to the tower, the changing resistance (which was actually really cool) really took its toll on me and for the first time on the climbing bits I started to struggle. I had made 122nd but was starting to slip back. A few deep breaths and I decided to get out of the saddle and rock it up the climb. I didn't overtake anyone but I held my place without blowing up. As we came close to the top I shifted into the big ring right as it flattened and put the hammer down, as soon as I hit over 58 on the descent I was sitting again. I made the right call as a load of those with me took the plateau to breathe. I figured 15 seconds more of pain and I could rest for a bit. Already at 120 before the bottom. The small bump as you went back on the road caught a few off guard, I got out of the saddle and hammered in the big ring for the few seconds to get over the 10% bump. It worked brilliantly, I caught anoter 5 in the next few 100m. By the bottom of the climb I was in the top 110th. I went into TT mode but had obviously burned a few matches as I couldn't keep my previous speeds. There were 2 lads in front of me who I made a final dig before the Volcano to grab. One of them dropped off in the Volcano and the other one dropped me although he wasn't in the rider list which was weird. I came out from the Volcano climb at 107th, and the short descent and bumps I managed to make it to 105th.I looked at the splits, there was one guy 8 seconds ahead and another 13 seconds ahead but the next one after that was at 35seconds. I could hope people drop off but at this point I was way ahead of where I thought I would finish. I eventually caught the two lads. We worked together but barely made a dent into the group ahead and in the last 2km one of them dropped off. Sensing the sprint for 103rd, we calmed down and accepted the few who had dropped off the back of the group ahead were still too far ahead to catch. He let me take my share at the front but I didn't cook myself, we were down to a km and I could sense him getting twitchy, he would jump a little to see would I bite. I held my place beside him, going back and forth. I was trying to figure out should I jump at 500m and try and psyche him out or wait till closer. He made no move at 400m so I stuck in, as we hit 250m I put it into 53x13, and closed my eyes again. held it for 15seconds, opened my eyes and was still 30m from the line closed again and eeked out the last bit of life from my legs. I had beaten Mr. John O'Brien by a second and it was a great feeling. Looking at the times on Zwiftpower I think we could have caught the two in front of us. Disappointed to see my Nemesis had only beaten me by 44seconds. I will get him next week.

Also a new 15second power record of 9.2W/kg

How did you miss the start? Game issues?

Yeah, I had a good day and alot better than expected if I'm being honest.

I was in the top 25 all the way to the main climb then created that inside the top 10. I had some good company and we put good time into decent lads behind us. This effort more or less left the race between us once we picked up the last lad afte the volcano I think.

I had good legs on the run to the line so naturally I'm disappointed to again lose out on a gallop for the win, second time this week. All in it was a cracking race.

Hopefully I might escape full upgrade but it's doubtful so this is where the fun ends unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Great circuit, nice to get a longer one too. 14th in A for me, I think about 8th Irish. Hung on to leaders until about half way up main climb but just couldn't stay there. Worked well for the remainder though and ended up with 2and highest 60min power I've ever held! Legs were ok considering I have had all out 46min and 22min efforts Thursday and Friday in TTT and TT! I wasnt expecting any placing today so happy out

How did you miss the start? Game issues?
    Zwift logged me out and then took an age to get past the load screen. Finally got in and clicked join event and it had 50 seconds left. Took a minute to transfer over. I was actually set up on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I was a few miles in today working dam hard and the app crashed- booted me out . Tried going back in and I was in some weird no mans land with no race
    I presume when there’s a crash you can’t get back in where you left off ?? I’ve no idea why it happened .

Partner fell asleep on the couch so I jumped on the trainer and rode up Alpe du Zwift for the second time. 5 minutes quicker but I was dehydrated ( I think) from yesterday as I developed a headache very quickly into it). Still, a great climb. Hopefullly get it sub 50 next time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

6hrs and 45 mins yesterday on the Full PRZL. Warped today! :)

yop wrote: »
    6hrs and 45 mins yesterday on the Full PRZL. Warped today! :)

Jesus, well done. ðŸ‘

Hope you have a day off work!

I'll survive another week in B but no racing this week until Saturday. One last shot at a race win in B.

I'll likely do a session on the course this week to get a feel for it. This worked very well last week for me.

I'll survive another week in B but no racing this week until Saturday. One last shot at a race win in B.

I'll likely do a session on the course this week to get a feel for it. This worked very well last week for me.

Tip fo Saturday, sit on Frans wheel :pac: If Im near the top 10 at the end I'll do an early lead out for you.

We are doing the Tour of Tewir Well route, 4 laps, looks handy enough but the climbs are punchy enough that it should break up well by the third lap. Finish is a descent into a short flat. I can well see a few riders trying to ramp it up early rather than wait for a field sprint and go from the start of the descent as you should carry speed fairly well. Based on your power and weight it is certainly a finish that favours you.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Tip fo Saturday, sit on Frans wheel :pac: If Im near the top 10 at the end I'll do an early lead out for you.

We are doing the Tour of Tewir Well route, 4 laps, looks handy enough but the climbs are punchy enough that it should break up well by the third lap. Finish is a descent into a short flat. I can well see a few riders trying to ramp it up early rather than wait for a field sprint and go from the start of the descent as you should carry speed fairly well. Based on your power and weight it is certainly a finish that favours you.

Sounb lad, hope it works out :pac:

I'd hope a split goes again this week,i'll certainly be trying to split the group if possible. However on the last circuit like this i missed the split so i'll need to be alert on the punchy climbs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jesus, well done. ðŸ‘

Hope you have a day off work!

Ah not at all. Back on the bike yesterday for a light hour.

Planning on the Everest Challenge on bank holiday weekend. Not sure if Ill do it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Question for the more experienced zwifters... Bologna TT course - TT Bike or climbing bike?

I raced it a few weeks ago and forgot to change to a tt bike, I was being passed a lot on the flat section but once I hit the climb I was making serious time back. Doing it again tomorrow and I'm in two minds whether to stick with it or change to the tt bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

Chris871 wrote: »
    Question for the more experienced zwifters... Bologna TT course - TT Bike or climbing bike?

I raced it a few weeks ago and forgot to change to a tt bike, I was being passed a lot on the flat section but once I hit the climb I was making serious time back. Doing it again tomorrow and I'm in two minds whether to stick with it or change to the tt bike..

I was the opposite of that the last time and considering changing to the road bike this time. More my weight is the issue than the TT bike though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the TTT tonight. After a few days taking it easy and no zwift race since last week I put out my best wkg tonight, up to 3.8wkg now and I even felt like I could have done more early on (not at the finish though. I emptied it for the last km, couldn't breath by the time I crossed the line).
    We had a couple of A riders tonight and they made a difference to our overall performance. I'm delighted that I was able to hang on with them and do some decent turns myself. I probably did stronger turns than usual up front as I knew there'd be plenty of power rolling through after me and I was under less pressure to keep driving to the front so I could recover for a little longer and then go hard again. Painful but enjoyable.

Did the TTT tonight. After a few days taking it easy and no zwift race since last week I put out my best wkg tonight, up to 3.8wkg now and I even felt like I could have done more early on (not at the finish though. I emptied it for the last km, couldn't breath by the time I crossed the line).
    We had a couple of A riders tonight and they made a difference to our overall performance. I'm delighted that I was able to hang on with them and do some decent turns myself. I probably did stronger turns than usual up front as I knew there'd be plenty of power rolling through after me and I was under less pressure to keep driving to the front so I could recover for a little longer and then go hard again. Painful but enjoyable.

You're welcome (A?? rider!!!!) It was a good team effort, all taking turns. You do get a good recovery in the bunch to allow the speed to be kept high

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

okane1 wrote: »
    You're welcome (A?? rider!!!!) It was a good team effort, all taking turns. You do get a good recovery in the bunch to allow the speed to be kept high

Your 4.2wkg was a lot more A than my 3.8!!!

Your 4.2wkg was a lot more A than my 3.8!!!

All helps. Wasn't feeling the best after the effort. Need some recovery time

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I'm new to this Zwift , entered a race , race starts and I'm almost last straight away. Next race I hammered the start but died then mid way through the race cause I was too tired to push my legs harder.

I don't cycle that much got hammered in C race now I'm in B races according to Zwift power , don't get it .

I've started to climb the Alpe de Zwift instead of racing as it's a solid workout . Anything else I'm missing on this Zwift ? Are the training plans worth following I would like to get better on bike but no idea to just do races / alpe or workouts , did 1 workout and it was boring , trying to hold wheels is fun and I find I don't look at blue box wattage as much .
    How often would you guys race , normally I run 4 days a week bike 3 times 1 hour each time.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

So the A B C D cats have nothing to do with your finishing in a race and are solely related to power output, so if you get dropped straight away but put out lots of power TTing on your own, you could get upgraded even though the rider who went like the clappers for 5 minutes and then sat in and ended up in the top 10 may not even come close as the average power was not as high as yours. Zwift has a different craft to riding road.

My recommendation, or experience has been to go well above your FTP for the first 2 to 5 minutes just to stay near the front. The race will settle and if you settle in, great, if you don't you'll be dropped. Tip along and the next group you see coming, ramp up to tag on and repeat. Eventually you find a group you can hold onto.

Truth is if you have the power to get into B and you had known how races go in Zwift, you'd have done well in C and got boosted in a week or so anyway.

At the minute I am racing 3 times a week and doing Alpe du Zwift once, it is probably too much but its better than nothing. Zwift races take alot more out of your legs than regular races.

Advertisement