Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

nilhg wrote: »
    Try syncing a couple of weeks data into https://intervals.icu/ and see what estimation it comes up with, it'll use maximal efforts of over 3 minutes to estimate your FTP

Never seen that site before very good , I linked to Strava and it seemed to sync every activity for this calendar year , says 249watts so must be around that . It gives data on running and swimming too very impressive thanks for link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

intervals.icu is class. i use the fitness graphs quite a bit for monitoring load, and building in restdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've been using this for a while now and its impressive, ideal for those who don't want to sub to TP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Do you need to allow it get all permissions? I see it asking for a max HR, i havent a notion! How has anyone ever entered this figure?

Some interesting data just need to know how to interpret it , my training is consistent every week seems to be treshold that doesn't sound great but in percentage terms looks like z1+2 53% , z3+4 41% and z5+ 5% . That looks fairly balanced it's nearly exact same every week this year which would make sense as I replaced my hard runs with bike races and rest of week is always each aerobic running.

I used my max heart rate achieved during a 5km run race as a close estimate. It's hard to know without lab tests .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bambaata wrote: »
    Do you need to allow it get all permissions? I see it asking for a max HR, i havent a notion! How has anyone ever entered this figure?

I just went with the highest recorded HR from Strava over the last while, currently 197bpm, it was north of 200 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I though your max heart rate was your max heart rate, and it doesn't change? Unlike resting heart rate?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I though your max heart rate was your max heart rate, and it doesn't change? Unlike resting heart rate?

Everything changes over time, max HR will typically decline with age regardless although if you get fitter it should increase for awhile. When i started using a HR monitor, I could easily get over 200bpm on the way home, I would sprint up one small climb. Last year I think I hit it twice, maybe only once, this year I haven't hit at all.

I wouldn't worry about it to much though, whatever is the highest you can recall in the last year or two should be a grand starting point

It seems to be different for sports aswell , max heart rate running about 190 on the bike all out heart rate never seems to go above 160 .

new2tri19 wrote: »
    It seems to be different for sports aswell , max heart rate running about 190 on the bike all out heart rate never seems to go above 160 .

Yep, running always seems to be higher, Swimming I think is lower in general as well, I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    Yep, running always seems to be higher, Swimming I think is lower in general as well, I could be wrong.
    Yes, iirc it's to do with the load/ muscles engaged or something. I try to block all that triathlon stuff out of my head. :D

My max running is about 10bpm more than I've managed on the bike.

I must have a look at some of the zwift stuff I've done recently, as probably as near to all out I've done in a while to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

CramCycle wrote: »

Swimming is probably something to do with the horizontal plain. I know when you get out of a swim in a triathlon your heads a bit all over the place for a few secs due to the change in blood pressure or something along those lines.

I think in cycling you would hit your max more often as you tend to work in waves of effort, running is more of a constant effort although I'd say it differs with each running category sprint,xc,long,mountain etc.

I did a race on Zwift it was Bologna circuit , 2 times up a hill . Anyway I didn't go flat out because ended up on my own and didn't pedal down the hills.
    When I finished Zwift told me I had a new ftp 235-243w when I check zwift power I see I averaged 243watts for the race which was 57 mins or so and normalised power says 252watts.
    Does normalised power mean the power you could hold for an hour riding steady ? Should I assume that is my FTP? Or is it a little more complicated than that ?thanks

As an update on this I got on bike last night and tried to hold 265watts for last 20 mins of a bike ride , my legs where tired but it started to hurt last 5 mins seems to drag. Zwift told me new Ftp of 253watts so im guessing NP for an hour was fairly accurate. Happy to break into 4w/kg for 20 mins now need to get that to an hour , I'll try an hour at 265w after a day or 2 rest .

Will the Cycle Ireland sprint race be a sub 20 effort this week? Laps changed from 3 to 2 laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

dahat wrote: »
    Will the Cycle Ireland sprint race be a sub 20 effort this week? Laps changed from 3 to 2 laps.

Reckon it'll be close to the last one in New York on the 14/05/20. That was 20km and just under 25 minutes. More elevation this time around. Last race in New York was 62m elevation gain per lap, tomorrow is 120m per lap.

Reckon it'll be close to the last one in New York on the 14/05/20. That was 20km and just under 25 minutes. More elevation this time around. Last race in New York was 62m elevation gain per lap, tomorrow is 120m per lap.

Yeah, after having a look it looks like a 20 plus effort alright, might gamble all the same.

Have to say I am preferring the sprint races. Shorter and more intense, which is odd as in real life, it would the opposite of what would suit me. Certainly placing far higher in them than any other races.

I am slowly coming around to the realisation in the longer races that I am not being found on the wrong side of splits, it might be that I am more naturally suited to the 2nd group, which is disheartening. Being caught on the wrong side a few times is one thing, but every time indicates that it is not just luck

In terms of the Cycle Ireland races the front group for the last 2/3 are flirting with A grade so not making the selection there isn't something to be downbeat over.

Yeah, after having a look it looks like a 20 plus effort alright, might gamble all the same.

No race tonight, body is in tatters so easy road spin & rest day tomorrow.

Flat out Zwift racing does catch up with you even more so than road racing i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

No race tonight, body is in tatters so easy road spin & rest day tomorrow.

Flat out Zwift racing does catch up with you even more so than road racing i'd say.

110%. I'm in a cycle of a week long recovery from our Club League on Tuesday nights. Had to skip a planned TT this day last week because of fatigue.

• Advertisement

Is it frowned upon to enter a race below your grade , I would like to ride C grade cycling Ireland race just for the training effort. I've a run to do first so won't be able to hold with B group . Is it ok once you don't win , my plan is just to stick with top group in C (if I can) if by some miracle I was ahead I would drop back and let others take the podium.

daragh_ wrote: »
    110%. I'm in a cycle of a week long recovery from out Club League on Tuesday nights. Had to skip a planned TT this day last week because of fatigue.

Amazing platform to wipe you out in fairness. Hopefully the suffering pays off at some point.

It's definitely something to be aware of heading into the winter when the temptation is there to hammer more than needed.

Is it frowned upon to enter a race below your grade , I would like to ride C grade cycling Ireland race just for the training effort. I've a run to do first so won't be able to hold with B group . Is it ok once you don't win , my plan is just to stick with top group in C (if I can) if by some miracle I was ahead I would drop back and let others take the podium.

Yes, you will be dq'd & not fair on the genuine C lads.
    Race the B with us, it will be fun....

Fun you say! I'm certainly not a sprinter no power I'll be last hanging on with tired legs from running , sure I'll give it a go , hopefully find a small group at back to hang with .

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Could say the exact same for a lot of the guys racing in B.... :rolleyes:

Fun you say! I'm certainly not a sprinter no power I'll be last hanging on with tired legs from running , sure I'll give it a go , hopefully find a small group at back to hang with .

I'll look for you....:D

Could say the exact same for a lot of the guys racing in B.... :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

He's too modest to mention it but CramCycle kicked ass in the B race last night :D

Indeed he did, solid performance & should be the official CI winner if i'm right.

Legs should be primed for a major effort tomorrow from him.

• Advertisement

im-not-always-modest-but-when-i-am-im-sexy-and-i-know-it.jpg

Advertisement