Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Essentially the game aspect of Zwift is perfectly fine for me. I find the structured workouts I'm doing are proving to be more beneficial than staring at a headunit for a period of time while dying trying to hold watts.

Also I'm looking up more which is a welcome benefit after looking down for near 6 months training.

Trying to replicate road feel & be a legitimate racing platform may prove too much unless huge investment is made to regulate entrants.

Looks like staggered starts for each CI race this morning, near 300 in the B race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Looked like pure heartbreak in the A race, Shane Dolan seemed to have got the jump on McGlinchey in the sprint only for his WiFi to drop out and he disappeared off screen just before crossing the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I've a feeling he may have been flagged by Zwift for his power, looked back at the commentary and saw some form of warning symbol over him just before he cut off?

16th for me today and I think about 5th or 6th Irish. I was lacking a bit of top end with being some 200W off my top power in the sprint but good race overall. Ive always liked that circuit, the climb really splits things up but if you can hang in there or stay close you get a recovery on the descent with another opportunity to catch back on if you are just off the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bambaata wrote: »
    I've a feeling he may have been flagged by Zwift for his power, looked back at the commentary and saw some form of warning symbol over him just before he cut off?

16th for me today and I think about 5th or 6th Irish. I was lacking a bit of top end with being some 200W off my top power in the sprint but good race overall. Ive always liked that circuit, the climb really splits things up but if you can hang in there or stay close you get a recovery on the descent with another opportunity to catch back on if you are just off the back.

I looked back at it again, saw that triangle pop up and no HR in the display. 750w for about a minute is some achievement alright for a 15 year old ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was super hungover, sun was too bright, couldn't read the screen. I was sweating buckets from the start. Just after the start line I was 280th, or essentially last, clawed my way up to 130th. Made one dig and pulled a group back and made it too 83rd but then last night's shenanigans started causing me to drag. Crossed the line in 145th. Knew I had no sprint so went for a long way out pull, got off the front but just couldn't hold it.

Cracking race today and although I thought the course would suit & had the aim of winning the Irish B race. However I was again lacking in the gallop with the from three getting a gap somewhere that wasn't closed by our group.

Overall I'm finding the racing enjoyable but finding it hard to grasp where I or the group is on the road. Maybe a bigger screen than the laptop is needed.

Finished 12th in the Irish B race, onto the next one.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I looked back at it again, saw that triangle pop up and no HR in the display. 750w for about a minute is some achievement alright for a 15 year old ;)

He got DQ'd during the week as well as far I know.

Suspicious set up? I don't t know the lad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,345 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've tried to use it, several times, and got bored of waiting for it to load. Going to try it again over the weekend with The Cycling Podcast "Our Giro" routes.
    Did the Our Giro ITT this morning. Much quicker connecting this time. However, I couldn't work out why it wasn't simulating. Via in game chat I was told sim mode only with any+...

Got my work Samsung Phone, and wasted half an hour trying to connect via ant+. The RGT app kept turning on Bluetooth! Tried otg cable and ant dongle on my personal phone. Just couldn't get it to see my hammer. Free or not, I'd rather pay for things that actually work.

Gave up on ventoux/ RGT, and went back to zwift (and salvaged the morning with a sub 59 Alpe!).

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was super hungover, sun was too bright, couldn't read the screen. I was sweating buckets from the start. Just after the start line I was 280th, or essentially last, clawed my way up to 130th. Made one dig and pulled a group back and made it too 83rd but then last night's shenanigans started causing me to drag. Crossed the line in 145th. Knew I had no sprint so went for a long way out pull, got off the front but just couldn't hold it.

Ha! Similar here...you must have made it to the nice little group I was in actually because at the front I was in I think 82nd spot and at the back 102nd. Like you (as well as being hungover today) I found it hard to see the screen cos I was out in my garden and the sunshine makes it REALLY hard to see anything once Zwift puts us in night/dusk mode.
    I was gearing up to finish in the top 100 for myself but when using my towel I must have just lost the wheels as someone put pressure on and boom...gone... 5m gap, couldn't pull it back and then to rub salt in the wound 6 others caught me before the line. Had a little hissy fit to myself!!

Thought that was a great event today now. Was delighted with the staggered start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Did the Our Giro ITT this morning. Much quicker connecting this time. However, I couldn't work out why it wasn't simulating. Via in game chat I was told sim mode only with any+...

Got my work Samsung Phone, and wasted half an hour trying to connect via ant+. The RGT app kept turning on Bluetooth! Tried otg cable and ant dongle on my personal phone. Just couldn't get it to see my hammer. Free or not, I'd rather pay for things that actually work.

Gave up on ventoux/ RGT, and went back to zwift (and salvaged the morning with a sub 59 Alpe!).

I think ant+ in RGT is only supported through the screen app on your computer, if you have an ant+ dongle on there, bluetooth through the phone ok. I had one go at it, did a few laps of the Pienza and Borrego Springs laps and found them nice but TBH I cant summon up any enthusiasm to sit in the shed anymore. The Vets are running a TT league on Zwift, I thought about it, thought about it some more then took the trainer apart and put it in the press in the garage, it's staying there till November, I'd rather ride loops in the rain than go back on it, but that's just me.....

nilhg wrote: »
    I think ant+ in RGT is only supported through the screen app on your computer, if you have an ant+ dongle on there, bluetooth through the phone ok.
    I'm using apple TV for my screen. I assumed the pairing was through the phone. That's me out from them then, as apple TV only supports Bluetooth, and I'm not buying something to bridge just for that, especially as I can't see me ever paying for RGT.

I'm using apple TV for my screen. I assumed the pairing was through the phone. That's me out from them then, as apple TV only supports Bluetooth, and I'm not buying something to bridge just for that, especially as I can't see me ever paying for RGT.

Yeah, the documentation is poor enough, but can your hammer not connect via BT?

Edit, found this

https://roadgrandtours.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/topic/8af0428f-0b89-4109-8d60-1e3b6684f48b/article/678526977

Yeah, the documentation is poor enough, but can your hammer not connect via BT?

Edit, found this

https://roadgrandtours.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/topic/8af0428f-0b89-4109-8d60-1e3b6684f48b/article/678526977
    It'll only do sim mode via ant+. It connected fine via Bluetooth, but that only takes power, not control the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It'll only do sim mode via ant+. It connected fine via Bluetooth, but that only takes power, not control the turbo.

I’m using RGT on and off with Apple TV too- it works fine- your phone picks up the trainer and passes it to the ATV.
    I’ve done the stelvio a few times and it’s the free version and it 100% controls the trainer.

Edit- I’m only using Bluetooth aswell. I’ve no ant + receivers.
    It’s important u select your trainer as “trainer” not as “power” as per the link someone just posted.
    If you select your trainer as power source it won’t know to control it.
    Marty.

Will it work correctly with zwift on apple TV?

I'm presuming it's on the latest firmware?

Will it work correctly with zwift on apple TV?

I'm presuming it's on the latest firmware?
    Yes, works fine on Zwift. It was an RGT guy in the chat/ messages that told me that RGT only does sim mode over ant+, and not bluetooth. No problem connecting RGT via bluetooth, but whatever about zwift, there's really no point of RGT without sim mode (for me)!

Yes, works fine on Zwift. It was an RGT guy in the chat/ messages that told me that RGT only does sim mode over ant+, and not bluetooth. No problem connecting RGT via bluetooth, but whatever about zwift, there's really no point of RGT without sim mode (for me)!

Is it specific to your trainer??- RGT controls my trainer absolutely perfectly over bluetooth connection with ATV.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Is it specific to your trainer??- RGT controls my trainer absolutely perfectly over bluetooth connection with ATV.
    I may try again. Although, seems like I'm not the only one with issues going on The Cycling Podcast facebook group. It may be specific to the Hammer - it was one of their tech guys that told me Ant+ only, but that was after asking what trainer I had.

I may try again. Although, seems like I'm not the only one with issues going on The Cycling Podcast facebook group. It may be specific to the Hammer - it was one of their tech guys that told me Ant+ only, but that was after asking what trainer I had.

Yeah maybe trainer specific so - but one thing to watch is to set the trainer as a "trainer" not a power source- it wont try to control a power source whereas it will try to control the trainer (Weird that you have to tell it that)
    Marty.

• Advertisement

A question for recovery for Zwift races. I used to race on a Thursday night and with rare exception be able to commute Friday morning. Same for Saturday or Sunday races, I'd commute in on Monday morning. I found the Zwift races particularly sapping of energy. Any tips to aid recovery. I think part of the issue is stretching as I am definetly getting tighter muscles and I think that is due to the reduced ability to move on the bike compared to normal races.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

imho, it sounds like fatigue building up - the zwift races are quite intensive, and adequate recovery is important. Maybe take a week off racing, as if you are doing a couple of races a week, your CTL could be building up. Do you track any TSS or anything? you are on strava arent you? Maybe take a look at the effort over the past few weeks and look at the trend of effort vs recovery. Personally, i find the zwift races require more recovery than a standard race as they are so balls out, vs the usual peloton sitting up in a race. Also, ymmv, and i could be talking gibberish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

CramCycle wrote: »
    A question for recovery for Zwift races. I used to race on a Thursday night and with rare exception be able to commute Friday morning. Same for Saturday or Sunday races, I'd commute in on Monday morning. I found the Zwift races particularly sapping of energy. Any tips to aid recovery. I think part of the issue is stretching as I am definetly getting tighter muscles and I think that is due to the reduced ability to move on the bike compared to normal races.

Yeah as Lenny alluded to, I've had a quick look at your Strava and your commutes look like tempo to threshold efforts. You're not doing a huge amount of hours on the bike but it looks like everything you're doing on the bike is pretty much full gas.

Alot of my zwift races are near 90% at threshold heart rate, unreal stuff.

The recovery is key here, sleep, stretch & adequate food with plenty water. I don't think the recovery process is complicated but honesty is key here for me. You need to recognise that maybe 2 races is ott? Or do just the one for a couple of weeks.

Now just to follow the above myself.....

dahat wrote: »
    I'm doing the race for stage 3 of Tour for All, as the group rides so far have been the same. Might as well pop my zwift racing cherry (plus the race is an extra 10 minutes in bed)!

Anyway, the biggest thing I've found for recovery is sleep. It's made a massive difference for me - going to bed earlier, eating earlier (to help sleep quality)...

We shall expect a detailed report from the Zwift race...

Sleep is king & universally agreed by all experts or so called folk. Best parts is it doesn't cost anything.

lennymc wrote: »
    imho, it sounds like fatigue building up - the zwift races are quite intensive, and adequate recovery is important. Maybe take a week off racing, as if you are doing a couple of races a week, your CTL could be building up. Do you track any TSS or anything? you are on strava arent you? Maybe take a look at the effort over the past few weeks and look at the trend of effort vs recovery. Personally, i find the zwift races require more recovery than a standard race as they are so balls out, vs the usual peloton sitting up in a race. Also, ymmv, and i could be talking gibberish :)
    At the minute I have only done two races a week on a Thursday and Saturday, but my club league is moving to Tuesday. I get what your sayign but the social bit of it is far more important than the recovery to me. I don't track TSS or look at CTL but a birds eye view of their calculations doesn't put me in a high range of either.
    Yeah as Lenny alluded to, I've had a quick look at your Strava and your commutes look like tempo to threshold efforts. You're not doing a huge amount of hours on the bike but it looks like everything you're doing on the bike is pretty much full gas.
    I have quite a high HR. Resting is 50bpm, walking is 100bpm, sitting on a bike and just rolling is 130bpm. 150 to 170bpm is comfortable I could hold this for hours level, 10 to 180bpm is work time but easily over an hour at that, 180 to 190bpm is business time and 190 +bpm are the hard efforts (I can hit over 200bpm if I really let it all go). Most of my commutes are actually quite relaxed, the speed and odd spike are tailgunning traffic when I am out of the bike traffic. There are a few spots I don't like the bike track so I stick to the road and if there are motorists around I'll put the hammer down to keep up but these are not for very long. If you look at my cadence on several commutes, you will see me doing 0rpm and still holding over 50+kmph as I coast down the bus lane
    dahat wrote: »

The recovery is key here, sleep, stretch & adequate food with plenty water. I don't think the recovery process is complicated but honesty is key here for me. You need to recognise that maybe 2 races is ott? Or do just the one for a couple of weeks.

Now just to follow the above myself.....
    And this will be difficult, my job is solo most of the time at the minute so this is the only social outlet outside of family. I really think it could be diet, hydration and rest more than anything. Muscles are definetly tight so will start to build in my old stretching routine from last year and gettgn to bed earlier going forward. I have a habit of going to bet at 1pm and getting up before 6am, which isn't healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

This time last year I was doing the Vets League every Sunday and our Club League on Thursdays along with a 40k commute most days.

Last week I did 2 Zwift races and a TT with no bike commuting (did a few easy spins around the hood). The fatigue is much more intense than what I'm used to. I couldn’t look at the bike yesterday or today and I know I’ll struggle tomorrow. It’s a completely different level of effort.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ah on my "Rest week" I was idiot enough to do a regional race on Wednesday, the 17.6km TT on the Friday, the CI race on the Saturday and then 108km on the Sunday.... needless to say 2 weeks later I have now to take the week off as I am continually tired.

Zwift races are the hardest I have ever done.

• Advertisement

Its all very weird though, everything about Zwift seems to imply I should be a decent TTer or an A3/A4 hill climbing champ but reality is much different. I am still convinced part of my issue is my inability to move properly on a static bike. The bike doesn't move with you for a sprint or a hard effort which really throws me. I think this too is causing certain muscles to become tighter due to restricted range of motion. Although, as I realised the other morning, doing a race hungover is a terrible idea, although on paper it had little effect on my race, it had a major affect on my recovery.

Advertisement