Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thats me wrote: »
    Ironically, people in that age are more often have enough wisdom, reason and responsibility to avoid visiting public places in mid of pandemic wave. :cool:

Depends on how serious you believe it actually is, most of the 'non believers' I know are well into middle age, some even older. That said don't have many teenagers as company (yet - one of my 'contributions is close though) so can't speak for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

25 minutes until kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Enjoy the gargle folks, booked in for tonight, no time limit nonsense, going on the gargle all weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Stayed 2 hours and was kicked out.
    In me own local. So they're all clamping g down no matter who ya are to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Stayed 2 hours and was kicked out. In me own local. So they're all clamping g down no matter who ya are to them

Must have had loads of bookings I'd say, with it being the first day.

AFAIK you can stay longer than the 105 mins if there isn't many bookings.

I suppose it will be busy though during the xmas season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The tab system is a nightmare

when its time to settle the bill it can get messy

PAYG is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The tab system is a nightmare

when its time to settle the bill it can get messy

How so? there's only a max of 6 people and you are all sitting/ordering together. It's not like there is a surprise 100 extra drinks on the bill that nobody knows anything about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Stayed 2 hours and was kicked out.
    In me own local. So they're all clamping g down no matter who ya are to them

thats shocking, no time limit nonsnese where i was,in fact this is the first ive read where someone had to leave , most people posting stayed the night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

dotsman wrote: »
    How so? there's only a max of 6 people and you are all sitting/ordering together. It's not like there is a surprise 100 extra drinks on the bill that nobody knows anything about.

You'll have idiots who couldn't hold their drink in a bucket arguing that they only had 6 pints, not 8.

Tab is a much better system than pay per round, hopefully it becomes the standard in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I did half seven until a quarter to today. I don't give a damn what that tyrant Holohan or those Martin and Varadkar idiots or fellow travelers think either. If the VFI weren't so utterly spineless they would order all of their members to open immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Still places opening and getting food from takeaways

All pubs should be open

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Still places opening and getting food from takeaways

All pubs should be open

Walking around my home town this evening, a few pockets of activity but mostly lifeless. Stuck the head in the door of so-called gastro pubs, not a familiar face found among the booted and suited. Particularly the auld lads out for a quiet pour, who wouldn't dream of going near such phoniness. I kept going, past one bolted traditional pub after another. My blood began to boil, how on god's green earth have they been let go to the wall. A regulated environment where the custodian could look after his regulars and maintain order. Nah, the VFI threw them to the wolves at NPHET. Bunch of bootlickers who abandoned their brief and scarred rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Carnage is coming lol, hopefully not, but going on the reports from those who ventured out last night, there was little observance of any rules apart from sitting at a table.

Ah well good luck to them. Will venture out ourselves during the week at 3pm and leave before the crowds arrive. We will enjoy ourselves, and leave a table for those who want one in the evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Till receipt for food being given to some customers to cover themselves in case the ****aloine invade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Am I correctin saying wet pubs were open for just 2 weeks since March 12?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Am I correctin saying wet pubs were open for just 2 weeks since March 12?

"Wet pubs" is a cavalier epithet that belongs in Donnybrook, Ballsbridge and Killiney. I refuse to acknowledge it. Traditional pubs lasted for a month outside Dublin, from mid-September to mid-October. Sponsored my local as best I could, knowing what was looming on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Out in Dublin city centre today for first time since August. Booked 2 gastro pubs in advance.
    First bar insisted x2 meals were ordered - fair enough. Second bar, menu not offered, no mention of food, and very little to be seen throughout the entire packed bar. They did move us along after 2 hours, but witnessing the blatant lack of food served, I understand the frustration of wet bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭PommieBast

This bit caught my eye:
    During the week, it was even speculated by a Government insider that pubs will remain closed until October, when a vaccine finally begins to produce the herd effect necessary to negate Covid.
    I think this is exactly what the government is going to do. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

y'know what does my head in ? this wet pub nonsense, a pubs a pub, yes there are boozers but its your choice

Choice is gone and wet pubs pubs is a term now pushed by media, make sure to pay the license fee lads, they give facts that suit there narrative :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Cork2021 wrote: »

I want to go to the pub in mid of pandemic, but i cannot afford 9 euro meal, what a snobbery!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

PommieBast wrote: »
    This bit caught my eye:

This is exactly what they should to do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

PommieBast wrote: »
    This bit caught my eye:

I can see them open by Paddies day.

The vaccines will roll out quicker than you think. Once the gubbermint cop on that it is a lot cheaper to inoculate a nation than pay it Covid payments? I hope someone lets them know this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

They are called wet pubs because the toilets are usually all urine and punters all over each other spitting COVID everywhere. Let’s face it they were super spreader places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    They are called wet pubs because the toilets are usually all urine and punters all over each other spitting COVID everywhere. Let’s face it they were super spreader places.

You are Tony Holohan, mystery arsehole and I claim my five euro!!

Seriously I have never read so much drivel in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Don't think Tony is anti pubs, as he likes a drink himself. In his opinion, keeping the pubs closed was the best option. Regardless of whether you think that was right or not makes no difference. It was his calculated opinion of which the elected government also agreed with. Any resulting hardship caused by these decisions has been offset by wage subsidies, pup payments and business supports. People haven't lost money during the pandemic, they just haven't been able to spend it as they would like. Once we get through the pandemic and pubs reopen fully, people be throwing cash around the bar like the good auld celtic tiger days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ingo1984 wrote: »
    People haven't lost money during the pandemic, they just haven't been able to spend it as they would like.

Whatever about the rest of the post, the line above is absolute sh1te.

People haven't lost money....tell that to those out of work due to covid. Try supporting a family and everything that goes with it when your wages are cut to €350 on PUP. Utter drivel

Oh and as for the supports you listed, none of them are anywhere near what people who own a business would need to cover costs.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I can see them open by Paddies day.

The vaccines will roll out quicker than you think. Once the gubbermint cop on that it is a lot cheaper to inoculate a nation than pay it Covid payments? I hope someone lets them know this.
    All I can say is that I hope you are right and I am wrong..

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Any resulting hardship caused by these decisions has been offset by wage subsidies, pup payments and business supports.
    Those grants/loans of upto €5,000? They are statistical noise compared to nine months of unpaid rent and bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Christ can you just imagine the Galway Races 2021.......The last days of Sodom and Gommerah. I would think the government will use late summer and in particular the August Bank Holiday and those weeks of August as a christmas type push to support irish tourism. We should try to push for an an extra bank holiday in July as compensation for missing a whole year of holidays. Vaccine will be surely given to anyone who wants it by July. Deaths and Hospitalisations will be miniscule when all frontline, over 60s and vulnerable are vaccinated, roughly how many people is that about 1.5 million?

Advertisement