Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

is_that_so wrote: »
    I have no idea. I tend not to question personal choices like this because they'll come to a conclusion in their own time. It could be in 3 months,12 months or never.

I don’t mean to be giving out. I don’t feel hugely comfortable with it myself. But when I ask myself what I want to see to get me over the line, I genuinely don’t know. The extent of the trials will have ensured that there will be no immediately and notable problems that might resonate with the population. So there’ll be no additional evidence or data there. So we’re left with the concern around long term effects, and that data won’t be for years.

So either I take it now, or I don’t take it for years, if ever. Although my gut tells me to wait a few months, and see, my head tells me that this is completely nonsense. There will be no additional data in 12 months time than there is now from the trials.

Of course if you have a view that the authorities are lying to us, then certainly you’d want to wait until it gets out int the real world. But I’m not that cynical. And my concern is that antivaxxers will take any illness suffered by a vaccinated person, even if nothing to do with the vaccine, and create a social media anti-van narrative with it. Maybe a vaccinated person gets diagnosed with cancer in 6 months - you bet that antivaxxers will be all over that, and trying to persuade people like you friends to not take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Yes, still don’t understand what they want to see though. No evidence of people dropping dead? The kind of evidence they want I think, will be years in the making

Unless they are genuinely just wanting to see that no one drops dead

I suppose they're looking at the swine flu vaccine and how those instances of narclepsy (which I realise are not proven to be as a result of the vaccine) showed up three or four months after vaccination. If their family and friends get vaccinated, and don't show any side effects, and there's nothing in the media about any side effects, that will probably convince some that sit on the fence.

The rest of the fence sitters thinking will probably go like this "I am not particularly against getting the vaccine, but I have a vague feeling that it has been rushed. I also don't like injections. And it's a pain in the *rse to take time off work and travel to my doctors surgery to get the vaccine. So I will get it, at some point, but I just want to wait a few more months, and find the time to make an appointment. And sure, if I don't get the vaccine, what of it? I'm not in a vulnerable category, I'll be grand if I catch covid".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don’t mean to be giving out. I don’t feel hugely comfortable with it myself. But when I ask myself what I want to see to get me over the line, I genuinely don’t know. The extent of the trials will have ensured that there will be no immediately and notable problems that might resonate with the population. So there’ll be no additional evidence or data there. So we’re left with the concern around long term effects, and that data won’t be for years.

So either I take it now, or I don’t take it for years, if ever. Although my gut tells me to wait a few months, and see, my head tells me that this is completely nonsense. There will be no additional data in 12 months time than there is now from the trials.

Of course if you have a view that the authorities are lying to us, then certainly you’d want to wait until it gets out int the real world. But I’m not that cynical. And my concern is that antivaxxers will take any illness suffered by a vaccinated person, even if nothing to do with the vaccine, and create a social media anti-van narrative with it. Maybe a vaccinated person gets diagnosed with cancer in 6 months - you bet that antivaxxers will be all over that, and trying to persuade people like you friends to not take it
    I think it is a reasonable concern for people. This is all brand new and not like the regular flu' jabs so worry is not at all surprising. While at risk people might feel like guinea pigs most people will have 3-6 months to watch what's going on. This fear, of course, is not helped by issues with past vaccines.

Even so you do get the sense that pharma are trying to make it all as transparent as they can and eliminating any risks they can. There may well be unexpected side effects but the sizes of the studies should have covered many of them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Although my gut tells me to wait a few months, and see, my head tells me that this is completely nonsense. There will be no additional data in 12 months time than there is now from the trials.
    This makes sense alright and a lot of people will go with their gut feeling. It really depends on what people think of is a safe time frame - if it's 3-6 months, then by and large it won't be a massive issue. If too many people feel the need to wait years, then it might be.

I'd be also interested to see if the type of vaccine we get will influence people. Will people be more likely to go if it's one of the mRNA vaccines or less likely. Will people care really and just assume they're all the same and a bit rushed?

One thing that is obvious, is that the government should really do a clear campaign on whichever vaccine they choose, with resources to reassure people how the development is not rushed, but expedited.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deenie78

I've asked a few friends and family if they would take the vaccine and almost all have said they'll "wait and see". Like a few have said here, I'm not sure what they're waiting for but hope that the few months it will take for it to be "their turn" will convince them otherwise.

I myself am all for taking it it as soon as it's available to me, the stress of possibly infecting my parents or those around me is wearing me down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In my opinion there's too much mollycoddling of people who take their health advice from Youtube loolahs. It's clear that the vast majority of us want to move on from the pandemic and do our bit to protect the community. We'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Moderna now reporting 100% effectiveness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭donegal_man

My partner's buddy has told her she'd rather stay working from home and avoiding other people than accept "Bill Gates mercury jab". This I think is one of the unintended consequences of our "work from home, stay at home" strategy, some people have retreated into a bubble where they're getting their information from shared content on Facebook, whatsapp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My partner's buddy has told her she'd rather stay working from home and avoiding other people than accept "Bill Gates mercury jab". This I think is one of the unintended consequences of our "work from home, stay at home" strategy, some people have retreated into a bubble where they're getting their information from shared content on Facebook, whatsapp etc.

I hear Modernas Vaccine is going to be distributed by the Gates foundation. They are going to call it "5G" and have the name of it in big writing on the vials and also on the trucks delivering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it's the consequence of limited education combined with not being endowed with enough rational thinking ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

hmmm wrote: »
    In my opinion there's too much mollycoddling of people who take their health advice from Youtube loolahs. It's clear that the vast majority of us want to move on from the pandemic and do our bit to protect the community. We'll be fine.

We're going to have incentivise the waitsees and antivaxxers to htfu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

This may have been asked already

I see the UK plan to roll it out from next week which is obviously great for them

Why are we saying hopefully by January ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Gael23 wrote: »

Is that 100% effective at preventing severe disease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

I see the UK plan to roll it out from next week which is obviously great for them

Cos were Irish and there's no panic

We're getting ours from the EU and early January seems to be their date to start.
    UK is Boris bravado and him being desperate for any kind of win. It may not be approved by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

El Sueño wrote: »
    Is that 100% effective at preventing severe disease?
    yes, that's definitely the most important thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Because they approve their own vaccines now as they aren't part of the EU. EU member states wait for EMA and then distribution from EU commission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Where are you seeing this?

EDIT: Seeing it now. Interesting.. I had mixed up Pfizer with Moderna earlier, oops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

This attitude is why you should need to show proof to leave the
    Country or to resume working in an office. Mot make it mandatory but make life exceptionally difficult if you don’t get the vaccine. It’s our only way out of this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This attitude is why you should need to show proof to leave the
    Country or to resume working in an office. Mot make it mandatory but make life exceptionally difficult if you don’t get the vaccine. It’s our only way out of this

What attitude?

Stheno wrote: »
    What attitude?

Wait and see how others get on with the vaccine.

is_that_so wrote: »
    We're getting ours from the EU and early January seems to be their date to start.
    UK is Boris bravado and him being desperate for any kind of win. It may not be approved by then.

Agreed. Boris has consistently over promised.....from the ‘word bearing’ test and trace, to the Isle of Wight app, to the ‘back to normal by Christmas’. I would believe nothing that he or Hancock say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Anyone else impatient to get the vaccine and move on with life? I know I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Anyone else impatient to get the vaccine and move on with life? I know I am.

I know thats a while off, i am more just impatient with news or lack of. I have shut myself off from any other covid related news.
    Supposed we've been getting very exited the past few Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭BrianD3

AFAIK a lot of the hype in the UK about early-mid December "rollout" is related to hospitals being prepared to vaccinate their staff by that time. The idea being, presumably that they should be standing by and being unprepared shouldn't be the limiting factor for rollout.

I read some German websites where German politicians were saying similar, instructing facilities to prepare for mid December so it is not just Johnson. It is probably something that could be used for short term gain and to lift spirits and then if nobody gets a jab by that date, the fallback is that this was never promised.

We need to be bursting ourselves to make similar preparations, all hands on deck, ask people to work on their Christmas break etc, etc. Maybe we are already doing this but I'll believe it when I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Moderna vaccine looks very good - almost 100% effective and stored at normal fridge temps. No messing around with ultra low temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think many people are keen to be able to taste the turkey and ham and mince pies. Best to leave it until the new year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting to see the airlines are pushing for internationally-recognised vaccination documents. You don't want to arrive into Torres del CovidFree and find that the immigration officials don't accept your Glenroe GP surgery hand-written vaccination receipt.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/covid-vaccine-flights-digital-passport-b1763751.html

"The International Air Transport Association (Iata) will urge the minister to work with other governments on a common standard for certification – to open up travel and avoid the possibility that passengers are obliged to be re-vaccinated.

The fear is that unless international agreement is reached swiftly, people receiving vaccines under the NHS programme may not have those jabs recognised for the purposes of international travel."

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    Interesting to see the airlines are pushing for internationally-recognised vaccination documents. You don't want to arrive into Torres del CovidFree and find that the immigration officials don't accept your Glenroe GP surgery hand-written vaccination receipt.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/covid-vaccine-flights-digital-passport-b1763751.html

"The International Air Transport Association (Iata) will urge the minister to work with other governments on a common standard for certification – to open up travel and avoid the possibility that passengers are obliged to be re-vaccinated.

The fear is that unless international agreement is reached swiftly, people receiving vaccines under the NHS programme may not have those jabs recognised for the purposes of international travel."
    There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this beyond airlines. EU are not fans of the concept.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement