Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i wonder how realistic is it to think we might have things like gigs or concerts this summer? I am really getting hard to believe wet pubs will be open properly by the summer let alone a gig with 100 plus people, or concerts/festivals of over 1000 people in June/July

I see Harry Styles concert in 3 Arena sold out for March 19th , cant see that being on. Stormzy sold out in April also 3arena

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Micky 32 wrote: »
    My prediction ( only an opinion) fairly back to normal Q3 2021.

I’m thinking the same. Purely in the hope that I’m pleasantly surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think outdoor events, small and large will be on during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Will everyone be getting a digital certificate or how will proof work

I presume we'll have to log in and upload proof and there'll be a universal certificate of some sort issued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

We don't need here immunity really do we? Get the HCWs and the vulnerable vaccinated and start on the rest of the population then, but by then the hospitalisations/ICU admissions/death rate should just drop away to next to nothing.

Or I'm being too hopeful am I :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

funnydoggy wrote: »
    We don't need here immunity really do we? Get the HCWs and the vulnerable vaccinated and start on the rest of the population then, but by then the hospitalisations/ICU admissions/death rate should just drop away to next to nothing.

Or I'm being too hopeful am I :D

If you look at it coldly, they'll use whatever means they can, carrot and stick, to get the numbers getting vaccinated up high. Call me cynical but needing proof of vaccination to get into events in 2021 is one weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Why do we need to vaccinate those who have little to no symptoms before we open up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Gael23 wrote: »
    Why do we need to vaccinate those who have little to no symptoms before we open up?

Wow, you really don't know how vaccines work, do you.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Wow, you really don't know how vaccines work, do you.

The regime we have at the moment so to prevent death and reduce severe illness leading to hospitalisation. So once the groups most at risk of serious illness and death are vaccinated that’s a huge part of the battle won. Yes everyone needs to get it but can they not get it in a functioning world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

Stephen Donnelly announced this morning he expects 1 million people to be vaccinated by March. I don't see any argument for not going to level 1 by then, as all the elderly and vulnerable population will be vaccinated.

There’s still a small percentage of “non vulnerable” ending up in ICU though. If we opened everything up, that could be a very big number relative to our capacity to manage it. If we take a million kids out of the 5 million population, that still leaves 4 million adults. I don’t think getting 1 million of them covered would quite get us there to L1. All speculation though.

There are still plenty in that age group who end up hospitalised. Even if it’s only 1% it’s potentially very big number for our health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

The regime we have at the moment so to prevent death and reduce severe illness leading to hospitalisation. So once the groups most at risk of serious illness and death are vaccinated that’s a huge part of the battle won. Yes everyone needs to get it but can they not get it in a functioning world

I find this attitude to vaccines perplexing, particularly because the vast majority of them are living a healthy lifestyle because of the vaccines their parents made them get as babies.

But somehow this logic seems lost in them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This has been answered multiple times on the thread, while you have been around as well.

But to answer again, some people who are most at risk will not be able to get the vaccine either (immuno-suppressed). It also allows us to reduce and potentially eliminate the virus by getting the entire population vaccinated, reducing the need for further vaccinations in the future. A very quick read on vaccines will tell you this (maybe go anonymous so that suggestions are outside your usual recommendations).

Look forward to answering again when you ask in 7-10 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

For some of those at risk, they may be unable to take the vaccine as it may be intolerable to them, it’s why those who can get the vaccine should get it. It’s where the phrase herd immunity comes in, a high percentage of the herd vaccinated protects the unvaccinated. It sounds like this vaccine is effective in older age groups, unlike the flu vaccine which isn’t as effective with age. If everyone just gave up getting a flu vaccine because they “never get flu” there would be more circulating therefore putting vulnerable at risk.

My daughter is missing a few vaccines so we rely on others to be vaccinated to protect her. I understand why there may be trepidation in this vaccine due to the perceived speed of development and misinformation, but if you are planning on getting it, know you’re helping others be safe as well as yourself.

For some of those at risk, they may be unable to take the vaccine as it may be intolerable to them, it’s why those who can get the vaccine should get it. It’s where the phrase herd immunity comes in, a high percentage of the herd vaccinated protects the unvaccinated. It sounds like this vaccine is effective in older age groups, unlike the flu vaccine which isn’t as effective with age. If everyone just gave up getting a flu vaccine because they “never get flu” there would be more circulating therefore putting vulnerable at risk.

My daughter is missing a few vaccines so we rely on others to be vaccinated to protect her. I understand why there may be trepidation in this vaccine due to the perceived speed of development and misinformation, but if you are planning on getting it, know you’re helping others be safe as well as yourself.

I’ll be getting it if it means being able to live my life again but it appears that’s not going to be the case.Im aware it’s nit going to be the day the first vaccine is administered but there needs to be a path out

On the issue of immune compromised individuals, i know all cases are different but in terms of people with autoimmune conditions these vaccines are safe once they aren’t live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hardyn wrote: »
    Pretty much every other country I've seen expects to begin before the end of the year. What's the delay?

I don't know the schedules of other countries in the detail, but Italy will start at the end of January.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I would say foreigners and illegals ( like in the USA etc) will get access to the vaccines because this is about curbing the spread of the virus.

I would even say that illegals might get the vaccine before legal citizens.
    Just it happens with the swab tests. A citizen of my country is given an appointment to get access to the test, usually in a week. Illegals that arrive of boats get the swab test right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I find this attitude to vaccines perplexing, particularly because the vast majority of them are living a healthy lifestyle because of the vaccines their parents made them get as babies.

But somehow this logic seems lost in them.....

Andrew Wakefield and his MMR vaccine causes autism shíte. The anti-vax "movement" is tragic and takes advantage of those who lack logic and education.

Is the report from the taskforce on December 11 going to be made public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Don’t you just feel so reassured when you hear Donnelly use words like “ potentially “ early next year for vaccine roll out.”

Apparently the task force are meeting for the second time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,215 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Is the report from the taskforce on December 11 going to be made public?

according to the independent MM will present the plan to the country on December 11

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Seems a bit mental that we're targeting to hear about our plan for the first time on the same day other countries are looking to begin their rollout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

For a government that loves greyhound racing, they're very late out of the gate.

why do so many of us on here just have a horrible gut feeling that our government will drag its feet ion this. ? Is there any reason we should not have all these vaccines in the country right now in cold storage ready to vaccinate 24 hrs after the greeen light is given. All nurseing home patients should be done by december 31 , all others over 65 by Mid feb. this should be a 14 hr a day , 7 a day a week thing , maybe 3- 4 days off during xmas max . No reason people in nurseing homes shouldnt be vacinated all through xmas. What exactly will we need to wait for ? if this was done we would be at level 1 on April 1st and get a full blown easter. it should be no 1 priority to be at level 1 by easter , would be a massive boost to the economy with sports events ,staycations etc. absolutly no reason why we shouldnt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

AdamD wrote: »
    Seems a bit mental that we're targeting to hear about our plan for the first time on the same day other countries are looking to begin their rollout

Seems a bit mental that other countries have a distribution date in mind before the vaccines are approved.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why do so many of us on here just have a horrible gut feeling that our government will drag its feet ion this. ? Is there any reason we should not have all these vaccines in the country right now in cold storage ready to vaccinate 24 hrs after the greeen light is given. All nurseing home patients should be done by december 31 , all others over 65 by Mid feb. this should be a 14 hr a day , 7 a day a week thing , maybe 3- 4 days off during xmas max . No reason people in nurseing homes shouldnt be vacinated all through xmas. What exactly will we need to wait for ? if this was done we would be at level 1 on April 1st and get a full blown easter. it should be no 1 priority to be at level 1 by easter , would be a massive boost to the economy with sports events ,staycations etc. absolutly no reason why we shouldnt

Maybe we do ? Who knows. I remember a radio interview with the boss of Open Orphan a couple of weeks ago and he said they were very involved and that the Pfizer vaccine was in the country already. Now, I suppose he could have meant that there's 10 vials of it in a lab somewhere, so he's not lying, but maybe there are stocks of it ready to go.

Is there any reason we should not have all these vaccines in the country right now in cold storage ready to vaccinate 24 hrs after the greeen light is given. All nurseing home patients should be done by december 31 , all others over 65 by Mid feb.

This depends on the capacity of the distribution system. If the staff is low in numbers, it might take weeks, not days.
    In Italy, the government said they will be able to vaccinate 300k people a day when in full regime, through 300 vaccination centres.
    In my opinion is a very poor achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It could be possible we could have a supply in this country ready to go once approved. It maybe just kept quiet so people don’t get too excited and then drop their guard because the vaccine is out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If we get to 70%+ immunity via vaccinations then the virus has a very limited pool to infect. Many people get the flu' jab each year and may really be at risk because people have told them they are. If Donnelly is right in his claim about March and we assume kids don't really need to be on the vaccination lists that could be nearly 50% of the population done by then. 25% alone nearly covers all the at risk people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement