Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Pfizer is not the only provider of vaccines, thankfully.

AstraZeneca is targetting 2bln doses for next year and more than 400mln this year (includes SII numbers).

Moderna is targeting 1bln for next year

and so forth...

I think it would be a good time to do another running total with some updated figures.

Btw. while demand will be unprecedentedly high for these vaccines, the supply side even with all going 110% could still struggle to get all those doses made and delivered.

Agreed, which makes your comment about Moderna stocks even more puzzling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Agreed, which makes your comment about Moderna stocks even more puzzling

Moderna stocks? Could you please point me to that post? My interest in share prices is somewhere between nonexistant and none at all. (It would also be off topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Moderna stocks? Could you please point me to that post? My interest in share prices is somewhere between nonexistant and none at all. (It would also be off topic)
    I think it was me they are confusing you with.

Not to go off-topic, but Moderna & Pfizer have similar types of vaccines, and in a neck and neck race to the finish I expect Pfizer would have an advantage with all their experience over a newer competitor.

We may still need both vaccines of course, but we have to wait and see if Moderna are capable of getting one across the line - we know Pfizer can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

hmmm wrote: »
    I think it was me they are confusing you with.

Not to go off-topic, but Moderna & Pfizer have similar types of vaccines, and in a neck and neck race to the finish I expect Pfizer would have an advantage with all their experience over a newer competitor.

We may still need both vaccines of course, but we have to wait and see if Moderna are capable of getting one across the line - we know Pfizer can.

We almost certainly will need both if we want a large quantity of vaccines available rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Apologies I was confusing you with Hmmm, your username is Hmmzis :)
    (Oh and no bad seat modding allowed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Article on state of play in the Financial Times (free)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Longish article from NY Times about some of the questions over immunity and immune system response to the virus.
    While little is definitively known about the coronavirus, just seven months into the pandemic, the new virus is behaving like most others, they said, lending credence to the belief that herd immunity can be achieved with a vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/22/health/covid-antibodies-herd-immunity.html

In case anyone is still having worries about the D614G mutation in the S protein in regards to vaccine design:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.22.20159905v1

The better infectivity came at a price.

Does anyone know the specifics of the EU agreement to buy vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

How long would trials take if this was to be effective? Looks a lot quicker then a vaccine...
    https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-07/sbpm-nsi072320.php

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the specifics of the EU agreement to buy vaccines?

The AstraZaneca deal is for 400mln doses, delivery starting by end of year.
    I know they were also talking to J&J, but I don't know more than that.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    How long would trials take if this was to be effective? Looks a lot quicker then a vaccine...
    https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-07/sbpm-nsi072320.php

They would all need a randomised clinical trial (preferably multiple run at the same time), just like for all the other drugs. Those can take a few weeks to a few months for emergency use given enough of the drugs are available and there are people capable of running the trial.

The AstraZaneca deal is for 400mln doses, delivery starting by end of year.
    I know they were also talking to J&J, but I don't know more than that.

How long would it take to produce that volume of doses?

How long would it take to produce that volume of doses?

Given AZ are now targetting 2bln doses for next year alone, it would take a little over a couple months to make the doses for the EU order.

In an ideal scenario then we could see half of EU vaccinated by by end of March (I'm assuming the prime-boost regimen will be used, based on the latest comments fromAZ). If the doses get apllied even half decently, it should then effectively end the epidemic in Europe.

I think in reality the distribution will be a lot more complex than that, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I have a good deal of faith in the AZ vaccine mostly because it’s being developed in the public sector so there’s not huge commercial interests at play in selling a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I have a good deal of faith in the AZ vaccine mostly because it’s being developed in the public sector so there’s not huge commercial interests at play in selling a vaccine
    I have faith in it because of the expertise of the scientific team (and their own confidence) but, be under no illusions, scientists are not immune (pardon the pun) to promoting their discoveries in the interest of self gain - i.e. further grant money. Also, AstraZeneca are a commercial entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I have faith in it because of the expertise of the scientific team (and their own confidence) but, be under no illusions, scientists are not immune (pardon the pun) to promoting their discoveries in the interest of self gain - i.e. further grant money. Also, AstraZeneca are a commercial entity.

Are trials of these medications not independently verified? I thought the scientists had to submit mountains of data in papers to be scrutinised by their peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Are trials of these medications not independently verified? I thought the scientists had to submit mountains of data in papers to be scrutinised by their peers.

Well they do but then the doom patrol here wouldn't be able to cobble together some ****e about the vaccine they can't verify themselves, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well they do but then the doom patrol here wouldn't be able to cobble together some ****e about the vaccine they can't verify themselves, would they?

Ironically i bet that if the vaccine becomes a reality ( i’m confident it will) you’ll find it will be the lockdown forever and the doom patrol that will be protesting against taking the vaccine.

Due to the contagious and seriousness of this illness Hopefully it will be made mandatory or at the very least strict restrictions put on people who refuse to take it. Banning people on planes would be a good start.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Ironically i bet that if the vaccine becomes a reality ( i’m confident it will) you’ll find it will be the lockdown forever and the doom patrol that will be protesting against taking the vaccine.

Due to the contagious and seriousness of this illness Hopefully it will be made mandatory or at the very least strict restrictions put on people who refuse to take it. Banning people on planes would be a good start.

To be honest with you I'm surprised some of the doom and gloom lads haven't gathered around Oxford's Jenner institute with pitchforks and torches demanding they stop practicing witchcraft. I know it's become a bit of a meme on the forum but some people don't seem to want this to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting. Paraphrasing - the vaccines (first generation) are not going to entirely prevent severe disease, they're going to reduce your chances. You will still need to be cautious. Drugs & treatments will complete the loop.

hmmm wrote: »
    Interesting. Paraphrasing - the vaccines (first generation) are not going to entirely prevent severe disease, they're going to reduce your chances. You will still need to be cautious. Drugs & treatments will complete the loop.
    I think most experts have acknowledged that a vaccine will not eliminate the disease entirely - so it will not be a silver bullet in that regard. However, should any potential vaccine program be successful, it should suppress the virus sufficiently to the point where people can carry-on with their normal lives (none of this "new normal" bull****!) without living under a constant cloud of fear and anxiety. That would be my understanding of the situation anyway, but I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think most experts have acknowledged that a vaccine will not eliminate the disease entirely - so it will not be a silver bullet in that regard. However, should any potential vaccine program be successful, it should suppress the virus sufficiently to the point where people can carry-on with their normal lives (none of this "new normal" bull****!) without living under a constant cloud of fear and anxiety. That would be my understanding of the situation anyway, but I stand to be corrected.

With our nanny state government, i hope you’re right.

I've heard that the Oxford vaccine may not be a one dose vaccine and a booster may be required although I didn't hear at what interval. Then again this is true of other vaccines as well, polio and tetanus spring to mind, so it wouldn't be a game changer.

I've heard that the Oxford vaccine may not be a one dose vaccine and a booster may be required although I didn't hear at what interval. Then again this is true of other vaccines as well, polio and tetanus spring to mind, so it wouldn't be a game changer.

We need to get a booster of the traditional flu vaccine each year so that’s not a deal breaker

We need to get a booster of the traditional flu vaccine each year so that’s not a deal breaker

Yep, it's reckoned this will be true of the Covid one, of course they usually give a vaccine against a different strain of the flu every year, maybe if they could be sure the same strain was coming every year the interval could be extended. It's all fascinating stuff, apart from being scary as hell.

Yep, it's reckoned this will be true of the Covid one, of course they usually give a vaccine against a different strain of the flu every year, maybe if they could be sure the same strain was coming every year the interval could be extended. It's all fascinating stuff, apart from being scary as hell.

Well Oxford reckon that their vaccine gives several years of immunity from covid and about three times the immunity of actually contracting covid. Hopefully if we needed a second shot in a few years it would put the ****er out of it's misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Micky 32 wrote: »

I am strongly against making vaccines mandatory. I'm not against taking a vaccine that has been proven to have been developed and tested correctly and is safe.

Introducing Mandatory vaccinations on people is a grave infringement on their rights especially when there is no openes and honesty and therefore very little trust in the organizations that maybe developing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

This disease has pretty much shut down the entire world, if there was ever a time for mandatory vaccines it's now.

Forget about the "it's against my human rights" bull****, this is unprecedented and drastic measures are required.

• Advertisement

NaFirinne wrote: »
    I am strongly against making vaccines mandatory. I'm not against taking a vaccine that has been proven to have been developed and tested correctly and is safe.

Introducing Mandatory vaccinations on people is a grave infringement on their rights especially when there is no openes and honesty and therefore very little trust in the organizations that maybe developing it.
    I think there's a thread in the Conspiracy Forum where you will be right at home :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement