Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

robinph wrote: »
    Since when has a day trip been counted as a way of testing your eyesight?

So let me get this right.

They're ill so they need help with their child, but still fit enough to drive 260 miles without a break, which would mean driving around 4 hours without a break which itself is not really advised. Generally you're supposed to break every 4 hours.

This was based on the fact both of them could get ill, but neither of them had coronavirus symptoms, but because they might then this was an excuse to do this drive.

He also decide, despite acknowledging he had vision issues, to drive his car for half an hour each way to test his eyesight on a public road.

Should someone with these kind of issues be driving at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭threeball

He can remember every stop by a river and who he saw when out for a walk but can't remember if he stopped for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Oh this is not going well..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,987 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"How can you not feel apologetic towards them for undermining the rules you helped to create?"
    "I feel sympathy but.... all I can do is repeat that my wife couldn't look after our child, I was surrounded by people with it or testing positive with it, I was ill the next day,..." but I won't apologize for my behavior.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

DVLA need to revoke his licence.

Driving non stop to Durham. Driving for 30 minutes to test his eyesight.

Wife suddenly struck down with illness and highly likely the same will soon happen to him, yet hours of motorway driving was seemingly a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭Patser

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ooh. He admits to NOT seeking medical advice before going. The arrogance is strong in this one.

Also saying he's never been tested for coronavirus - despite working in close vicinity of of Boris Johnson who was at that time seriously I'll with the virus....

And what about all the stuff his wife (and he) wrote in Spectator and blogs about coping with the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This presser by Cummings is a car crash.
    It exposes him as either a moron with extremely poor judgement and decision making skills.
    A moron whom is instrumental in shaping British government policy...

Or a fairly sociopathic individual who frankly doesn't give a fúck what the plebs think.
    He is sorry that other people are upset, not that he acted like a dick.

Frankly this episode and BoJo's choice to stand by Don has completely undermined any position of moral authority the UK government may try to impose.

Igotadose wrote: »
    "How can you not feel apologetic towards them for undermining the rules you helped to create?"
    "I feel sympathy but.... all I can do is repeat that my wife couldn't look after our child, I was surrounded by people with it or testing positive with it, I was ill the next day,..." but I won't apologize for my behavior.

so he is asking for sympathy but not apologising. How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This guy would be better off saying he shouldn't have done it, misinterpreted the rules, say illness and stress had impaired his judgement and he panicked and made the wrong decision, should not have done it and apologise.

Instead he's saying he's done nothing wrong and it's ok for him to break the rules he helped formulate and is totally unapologetic.

He's bringing himself and BoJo down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Imagine how much easier life would be if he'd just said in a statement "I regret my actions in retrospect I've needlessly created a confusion that is unhelpful at such a time" and then let Boris take a few days of heat that would have passed.

Malcolm Tucker would surely have plotted this out in detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Petrol question caught him.
    His Discovery if that's what he used would do circa 500 miles on a tank so he would have been on fumes including the 30 minute test drive.
    One final point is that the Discovery has an official driving range of over 700 miles on one tank of diesel – equating to a real-life range of over 500 miles. There’s no electric or hybrid vehicle that could compete with this. So despite all the demonising in the media, diesel does still have its benefits.

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-reviews-and-road-tests/land-rover-discovery-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

Unless a senior government minister calls him out then this will go away inside a week and he's safe.....it's like the English version of Trump politics...deny deny deny.......and then deny even more

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

threeball wrote: »
    He can remember every stop by a river and who he saw when out for a walk but can't remember if he stopped for petrol.

Probably the people who wrote his strategy for this press conference didn't expect that question, so he's probably been told to bat away scenarios they haven't thought of.

Did he say he had a full tank of petrol when going for the drive to Barnwell Castle or when he went back to London?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He's so arrogant. What a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Can his wife drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Mr Cummings doing his best to act the Mr nice guy but that's slowly evaporating. His inner self righteousness, elietist entitlement is there for all to see. No sign of remorse or humility.

BJ now in big trouble for standing by his man and not putting the national interest first.

Could hardline Brexiteer tory backbenchers go the next step and call for Bj's resignation, even putting that hard brexit that they do crave at risk?

"Why weren't you honest prior to this?"
    "Do you regret it?"

"I do." <shuffles papers noisily>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Dominic... Is your house in Durham available for a holiday rental by any chance?!

Lockdown smock down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

His Discovery if that's what he used would do circa 500 miles on a tank so he would have been on fumes including the 30 minute test drive.

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-reviews-and-road-tests/land-rover-discovery-review/

... And he'd just driven back from No10 and presumably there that morning too. When did he last fill up in anticipation of the cross country dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Call me Al wrote: »
    LOL No!
    Of course not.
    He was never going to apologise.
    Thats not his mindset.

Not apologising could be his undoing, the British public are seething over this and need to see at least some contrition and humility. Dom is offering neither whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭threeball

devnull wrote: »
    Probably the people who wrote his strategy for this press conference didn't expect that question, so he's probably been told to bat away scenarios they haven't thought of.

Also he says he had a full tank of petrol when going for the drive to Barnwell Castle so it suggests someone filled it up between him arriving in Durham and going to Barnwell.

Probably his 17yr old niece. She got the Discovery for the weekend as a thank you for volunteering to catch coronavirus.

"We drove for half an hour to see if I could drive safely."

This is coming form the top government adviser.

Does he have the same approach to drink driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Can't tune in right now, but coronavirus aside, has anyone asked him what he would advise Boris Johnson to do if an advisor other than him became the story, and was going to continue to be the story for the foreseeable future?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Imagine how much easier life would be if he'd just said in a statement "I regret my actions in retrospect I've needlessly created a confusion that is unhelpful at such a time" and then let Boris take a few days of heat that would have passed.

Malcolm Tucker would surely have plotted this out in detail.

I'd like to think something like this is going on behind the scenes right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Boris needs to go now. This has made things far worse. Between his initial handling of the crisis and this episode.

He has shown very poor judgement in backing Cummings, not befitting of a good leader.

Can his wife drive?

No he drives and she shouts instructions as his eyes are bad.

"I don't think what I did in these 14 days was a mistake." This is why he needs to go. He's not 'Joe Bloggs.'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If you look up the word "entitlement" in a dictionary you'll see Dom's mug beside it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Can his wife drive?

She doesn't drive it seems and she looks after their child as well as who would have cared for the child if she was ill?

Also, he keeps saying he needed to get back to work. Someone obviously believes they are irreplaceable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement