Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Just a heads up, this will sting, but last year there were no second round offers, they over offered in round 0 on the basis they knew some people would not accept the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hopeful GEM

PhoenixD15 wrote: »
    Keep me posted with what happens for you. Did you attend their open day? I know nothing about UCD but am very familiar with RCSI. I wonder will there be an orientation of sorts. Exciting times :-)
    UCD is fab! I didn't go to the Open Day as a student but I have spent the last 3 years there doing my degree and I must say, I'm happy with the chance to stick around that bit longer. And the coolest thing they have is a partnership with Harvard!

Keep me posted with what happens for you. Did you attend their open day? I know nothing about UCD but am very familiar with RCSI. I wonder will there be an orientation of sorts. Exciting times :-)
    Orientation is the 22nd to the 25th I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 humboldt

Just a heads up, this will sting, but last year there were no second round offers, they over offered in round 0 on the basis they knew some people would not accept the course.

:(:(:(

That's awful, how can they do that? It doesn't even make sense - what if everyone accepts?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoundPony

Was this just all GEMS? I know UL overfilled knowing some would not accept but I didn't think the others did too. You might know more than me I just didn't recall hearing any other school other than UL.

• Advertisement

RoundPony wrote: »
    Was this just all GEMS? I know UL overfilled knowing some would not accept but I didn't think the others did too. You might know more than me I just didn't recall hearing any other school other than UL.

That was what was said here last year, and I didn't hear if anyone getting a 2nd round offer. Somebody had said they had found this out (I cannot remember via what means), perhaps it is different this year. But last year, apparently that's what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

Orientation is the 22nd to the 25th I think :)

I think teaching starts for grad med on the 21st Sept, orientation was planned for week starting 14th but it changed TBA.

If anyone wants to pm me I went to UCD for too many years to mention and lived in the area most of my life I can maybe help with advice on accomodation, commutes etc. I enjoyed all my years there, it's a nice campus, great facilities and met friends for life :) Delighted to be returning to make more.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PhoenixD15

At the RCSI open day we were told that the star beside the cut off translated in a huge number of people on that score not getting in. Therefore if you havent got that score, it is highly unlikely that you will get a second round offer. They have obviously very few places so other unis may tell a slightly different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

To be honest I'm glad you mentioned that! Better for me to presume there won't be a second round and double down on finding a job and prepping for September GAMSAT! I might email Ul anyway and see if they overfilled their courses ! Thanks again!

If my info is wrong, I apologise, it was just what we poster said last year. I dont think it was official but the poster knew someone who worked in admissions or something like that.
    Maybe they got their info wrong too, but yeah, that's just what some poster said least year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cl101

Does anyone know of any GAMSAT grinds groups or tutors in Dublin? I need a little more guidance for the September sitting

Can't recommend flipping physics on YouTube highly enough, a small bit of physics study goes a long way in gamsat I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

Where can the official cut off scores be found ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stranger_Ings

Where can the official cut off scores be found ?

New user so I can't ost the link but its CAO.ie > Points > round 0. Official cutoff's are as stated above

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

That was what was said here last year, and I didn't hear if anyone getting a 2nd round offer. Somebody had said they had found this out (I cannot remember via what means), perhaps it is different this year. But last year, apparently that's what happened.

While no one got a second round offer last year, at least 2 people did not show up to orientation in my class. One of my friends ended up getting a spot a week late in September. There was an error with her application tgat resulted in no offer and she kept emailing everyone, eventually getting a spot in UCC when another student was a no show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 quart12

Does anyone know what are the UCD fees each year?

quart12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what are the UCD fees each year?
    UCD is 15810 with a warning of increases of between 2&4% per annum. Something along those lines.
    It is difficult to find on their fees list but you need to look up DN401 on the undergrad fees list for EU students.

From my reading of the tax scheme you can claim a once off of 800 euro back from the fees, though of anyone has other experience of the tax incentives would appreciate.

€800 tax back was what I calculated too. Not great but at least it’s something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 humboldt

UCD is 15810 with a warning of increases of between 2&4% per annum. Something along those lines.
    It is difficult to find on their fees list but you need to look up DN401 on the undergrad fees list for EU students.

From my reading of the tax scheme you can claim a once off of 800 euro back from the fees, though of anyone has other experience of the tax incentives would appreciate.

€16,290 (2019: €15,810, 2018: €15,350)

“Students on a multi-year programme should note that their fees are subject to change from year to year. Non-EU students that entered Undergraduate Direct Entry Medicine (MDS2) and EU & non EU students that enter Graduate Entry Medicine (MDS9) from 2017/2018 onwards will be subject to annual increases of between 2-4%”

humboldt wrote: »
    €16,290 (2019: €15,810, 2018: €15,350)

“Students on a multi-year programme should note that their fees are subject to change from year to year. Non-EU students that entered Undergraduate Direct Entry Medicine (MDS2) and EU & non EU students that enter Graduate Entry Medicine (MDS9) from 2017/2018 onwards will be subject to annual increases of between 2-4%”

Would I be right in saying they give you a free iPad or is that a separate fee?

• Advertisement

I think the iPad is rsci but there is a large IT fee

I think the iPad is rsci

They get a macbook in RCSI. Must of just been hearsay about the iPad for UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Indecisivegirl

Actually, I got offered UCC in round 0 last year and then got offered UCD in the next round and that also happened to a few other people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

Actually, I got offered UCC in round 0 last year and then got offered UCD in the next round and that also happened to a few other people I know.

This gives me hope, thank you!

What are people doing for tech? I am eager to get sorted but don't want to get the wrong stuff... am I right in thinking laptop (or tablet?) for lectures and pc for home? Does Mac offer advantages? Does UCD use a system that works better on some devices than others? Do they issue guidelines?

What are people doing for tech? I am eager to get sorted but don't want to get the wrong stuff... am I right in thinking laptop (or tablet?) for lectures and pc for home? Does Mac offer advantages? Does UCD use a system that works better on some devices than others? Do they issue guidelines?

My old workhorse with 16gb ram had issues with webcam for gamsat so I ended up replacing with a hp envy. It's large enough screen but nice and light for commute. Touchscreen is handy for articulating eLearning and anatomy aids and it converts to tablet. I don't think there is any huge requirement to have one though and definitely not anything fancy. I plan to use a foolscap and a pen in lectures like i did back in the day. Does everyone have computers in lectures these days?

My old workhorse with 16gb ram had issues with webcam for gamsat so I ended up replacing with a hp envy. It's large enough screen but nice and light for commute. Touchscreen is handy for articulating eLearning and anatomy aids and it converts to tablet. I don't think there is any huge requirement to have one though and definitely not anything fancy. I plan to use a foolscap and a pen in lectures like i did back in the day. Does everyone have computers in lectures these days?

These days it really depends. Some like pen and paper and not that many people go for the laptop. Certainly not in my undergrad at least. The library in UCD has laptops to use in the library anyway if there’s a need for it for assignments and the likes when you’re not at home

I think teaching starts for grad med on the 21st Sept, orientation was planned for week starting 14th but it changed TBA.

If anyone wants to pm me I went to UCD for too many years to mention and lived in the area most of my life I can maybe help with advice on accomodation, commutes etc. I enjoyed all my years there, it's a nice campus, great facilities and met friends for life :) Delighted to be returning to make more.

It’s been changed from 22nd to 25th. I double checked my UCD email there ☺️

I suppose it depends also on whether lecture notes are distributed electronically as it would then be possibly easier to annotate online rather than print them.off and cart them about. That's if there are going to be any lectures to attend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Luna73

UCC DEM - most of lectures online....

Advertisement