Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

• 10-03-2020 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey guys,

Is it still running? Surely they will cancel it with 700 people in one room is major risk...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Confused_!

Yeah after the Pandemic announcement from WHO today, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's cancelled. They'll email soon if that's the case. Really hoping it can be rescheduled in time for Sept 2020 entry, really don't want to have to put medicine off for a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gradmedgirl

Confused_! wrote: »
    Yeah after the Pandemic announcement from WHO today, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's cancelled. They'll email soon if that's the case. Really hoping it can be rescheduled in time for Sept 2020 entry, really don't want to have to put medicine off for a year!

Thanks for the reply!

I called them this morning, and spoke with one of their representatives who said they're currently in a meeting and the likelihood it is rescheduled until April or June is high, they'll be emailing in the coming days from what that spokesperson said

Oh interesting , if it was April, that should still be ok for Sept, and maybe if it was June, hopefully GEM courses would take that into account and delay start date by a few weeks or something? So perhaps all is not lost if it does have to be moved!

Oh interesting , if it was April, that should still be ok for Sept, and maybe if it was June, hopefully GEM courses would take that into account and delay start date by a few weeks or something? So perhaps all is not lost if it does have to be moved!

Yeah this is the same question I asked the person on the phone and he said that it's all really uncertain but the med schools will need to "work together to adjust for the late applications" but he couldn't say with certainty!

Are you doing yours in Dublin?

Yeah fair enough, I suppose this is all so unprecedented so there will probably be a lot of uncertainty for a while!

No, I'm sitting it in Limerick, closer to home! The room seems small enough in Limerick, I imagine there's only about 100-200 people sitting it there. Is it on in UCD Blackrock campus in Dublin? That's where it was in September!

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough, I suppose this is all so unprecedented so there will probably be a lot of uncertainty for a while!

No, I'm sitting it in Limerick, closer to home! The room seems small enough in Limerick, I imagine there's only about 100-200 people sitting it there. Is it on in UCD Blackrock campus in Dublin? That's where it was in September!

No I think it's in ucd campus in their belfield campus!

Hows the study going so far? Are you hoping for a place for 2020? I'm aiming for 2021

Yeah, hoping for 2020! Study has been going ok, but really hard to find the motivation sometimes! I sat it in Sept with very little S3 prep, but managed to scrape a 55 total, so I'm feeling bit better about this round with some more study done (but who knows what will happen on the day)...
    How's your study going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Medlo

Thanks for sharing that information with us.. Hopefully we'll know soon. I'll be sitting in London and would have to travel there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

I'm assuming they would have to reschedule it....mad

Hey all just got off the phone with them again, and they've told me there cancelling 2 or 3 venues including Ireland and UK.

Not sure which ones they said emails will be sent today.

Ugh, not good. They should have communicated sooner, especially for people like myself who are travelling long distance for the exam (and have to pay to accommodate for the day) :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Medlo

Thanks for this.

Have they told you if/when they're rescheduling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 musicis4life

Hopefully they'll send the emails soon so we can make plans

Hopefully they'll send the emails soon so we can make plans

Yeah. I mean I dont mind the extra study time but just as long as it isn't completely scratched and merged with September which is what some of the people in the gamsat ireland group are saying! Ugh that would suck for 2020 applicants... but its just here say so lets wait and see!

Yeah I'm away on holiday in April so I'm hoping they don't reschedule it for then

Yeah. I mean I dont mind the extra study time but just as long as it isn't completely scratched and merged with September which is what some of the people in the gamsat ireland group are saying! Ugh that would suck for 2020 applicants... but its just here say so lets wait and see!

Yeah I'm away on holiday in April so I'm hoping they don't reschedule it for then

Where to? Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purnimasnow

Anybody else constantly refreshing emails waiting for an update from GAMSAT?!

Yes 🙄
    Anybody else constantly refreshing emails waiting for an update from GAMSAT?!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

Yep, I'm checking every couple of hours. Now that school and creche is closed I will have zero study opportunity, possibly for 4+ weeks if they remain closed over Easter mid term with small kids underfoot. If it is scheduled before June it will scupper me until the next sitting which means losing a year of course. The closures and measures being taken are the correct course of action of course. C'est la vie, hopefully whatever ACER decide eventually we will get to sit it.

Yep, I'm checking every couple of hours. Now that school and creche is closed I will have zero study opportunity, possibly for 4+ weeks if they remain closed over Easter mid term with small kids underfoot. If it is scheduled before June it will scupper me until the next sitting which means losing a year of course. The closures and measures being taken are the correct course of action of course. C'est la vie, hopefully whatever ACER decide eventually we will get to sit it.

I'm not even sure UCD will allow the 700 odd students or whatever that are sitting in their campus to take the gamsat regardless if what acer says or does....

Agree gradmedgirl they need to cancel the Dublin exam. The government advice has not been given lightly. No gatherings indoors of more than 100. Leaving cert orals are postponed and most large University end of year exams off.

• Advertisement

Yeah with all the universities closed I can't see it going ahead next weekend which is a shame really.
    I'm not even sure UCD will allow the 700 odd students or whatever that are sitting in their campus to take the gamsat regardless if what acer says or does....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

I don't think Acer would risk going ahead of government advice to put the exam on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sbm_s

if the March sitting is cancelled next week and not rescheduled, next sitting is in september, then could there be a possibility the colleges will reduce the points required in order to fill places? as im sure a lot of people would be sitting march for potential entry in sept

It's official, March is not happening.

I'm glad they have let us know now, I was so unsure about whether or not to spend the weekend cramming.

But yes, hopefully the colleges will have to take all this into consideration and either reduce points, or have a later start date to accommodate a late resit!

Yeah thankfully they left us know. Now I'm just wondering when the resit will be

I'm glad they have let us know now, I was so unsure about whether or not to spend the weekend cramming.

But yes, hopefully the colleges will have to take all this into consideration and either reduce points, or have a later start date to accommodate a late resit!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

They have stated in the email also that they realise people need it for 2021 entry.. what about 2020 entry for those in Ireland??

Banaba wrote: »
    They have stated in the email also that they realise people need it for 2021 entry.. what about 2020 entry for those in Ireland??

I think it must be a mis print as I'm sure 2021 you still have September 20 and March 21 so surely they meant 2020 entry

Banaba wrote: »

I think to be fair in Australia, they rely on the March sitting too, as their semester starts in Jan 2021, so September is too late for them as they need time for interviews as well.
    So while they have said for 2021 entry, it kind of relates to us as well, as we'll be goosed if it is cancelled altogether!
    It's only England that don't rely on the March sitting, they have already offered their places for Sept 2020 entry!

I have a feeling itll be the opposite, in fact, I think itll be higher points, my guess is 63 or 64, heck even 65 but that's just my theory

• Advertisement

I think if they can reschedule the exam for June or July, the Universities in question and the CAO should be able to manage for Sept entry. Of course that depends on the trajectory the pandemic takes. Often with outbreaks like this there is a second flare the autumn after it appears so there's no guarantee that Sept will happen either unless they could break it up into smaller groups or take other precautions. Or perhaps Universities would switch to interview, CV, and undergraduate GPA or other assessment methods. We could be living with uncertainty on it for quite some time, I think studying for a few hours each day and sitting tight are in order.

Advertisement