Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Offers come out 10am on the 8th. What's the betting the site crashes?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

redser1 wrote: »
    Im just re-reading posts from when the exam was held, its funny how people then were concerned about the exam not being properly standardised and then when they got the result they wanted it was not to be mentioned and back-lashed.... obviously understandable but still as a Sept sitter awaiting offers its frustrating....

I did the online one and did average, most of my exam was organic chemistry and physics and I had put less effort into physics as it was meant to only be a small part but what can you do? I still thought they would have followed the percentage of questions per topic but I think it was a random bank of questions as others had a lot of biology. Thats the way ACER decided to do it and they just send generic emails back so just have to suck it up. I really don't think everyone who did the online one did brilliant, there was just a few who were vocal about it and I can understand why people might not care once they got a good result. And yeh it wasn't standardised because it really depended on what exam you got if it suited what your background is but acer are doing it again online in September so I guess this could be the future! Totally get why you're frustrated though but it will be the same conversation next year if the one in March is in person and the one in September isn't !

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

ma003 wrote: »
    I did the online one and did average, most of my exam was organic chemistry and physics and I had put less effort into physics as it was meant to only be a small part but what can you do? I still thought they would have followed the percentage of questions per topic but I think it was a random bank of questions as others had a lot of biology. Thats the way ACER decided to do it and they just send generic emails back so just have to suck it up. I really don't think everyone who did the online one did brilliant, there was just a few who were vocal about it and I can understand why people might not care once they got a good result. And yeh it wasn't standardised because it really depended on what exam you got if it suited what your background is but acer are doing it again online in September so I guess this could be the future! Totally get why you're frustrated though but it will be the same conversation next year if the one in March is in person and the one in September isn't !

I feel exactly the same as you! I was really annoyed about possible cheating and people getting back in to finish seen exams where they had tech issues. On reflection there was also a cohort giving out their marks went down and I think it was a negligible number who got an advantage. My mark is borderline at 62 so I'm braced for resitting in March if I have to. It's up to admissions to decide what's best.

Did you sit on the last Sunday? I did my exam sounds similar to yours, very physics and org chem heavy. I didn't have many biology Q's at all and very few graphs.

18 sleeps :)

I feel exactly the same as you! I was really annoyed about possible cheating and people getting back in to finish seen exams where they had tech issues. On reflection there was also a cohort giving out their marks went down and I think it was a negligible number who got an advantage. My mark is borderline at 62 so I'm braced for resitting in March if I have to. It's up to admissions to decide what's best.

Did you sit on the last Sunday? I did my exam sounds similar to yours, very physics and org chem heavy. I didn't have many biology Q's at all and very few graphs.

18 sleeps :)

Yes I did it on the last Sunday too!! Even my biology questions ended up being organic chemistry based which sucked as my background is biology but sure I just had to go with it! Congrats on your 62, I'd say you'll be fine, I'm a bit lower so not optimistic. Someone posted before that back in 2010 the points were a lot higher that year than they have been since so I guess you can never tell, also I guess the economy was rubbish back then so theres so many other factors that contributes to the number of applicants etc. Although I wasn't happy doing the online exam if thats what the future is going to be I have to accept it because I don't think they'll change it based on people complaining as they have shown already with replies from acer etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bella11

The very fact we’re debating whether 62 is enough, is enough to show something is amiss with what ACER have done! At the RCSI open day, they stated that score was basically a guarantee of a place, so the fact it’s a factor of debate shows something is up!

• Advertisement

It's only a debate in our own heads though for now, I think wait until the cut offs come out before we jump the gun.

bella11 wrote: »
    The very fact we’re debating whether 62 is enough, is enough to show something is amiss with what ACER have done! At the RCSI open day, they stated that score was basically a guarantee of a place, so the fact it’s a factor of debate shows something is up!

RCSI hit 60 for the first time in ten years last year and there wasn't an online exam so it either way it could have hit 61/62 this year depending on the demand! No one has mentioned that. When I went to a RCSI open day a few years ago they were saying a 58 would get you in so its a fluid thing depending on the year and they really can't predict that! I think it will stay around where its at now tbh but if it does increase it doesn't necessarily mean its because of the online exam. But yeh it does suck but there are so many factors that go into the cut offs, this year there could/could not be another factor! Also as I said before I think the online exams sucked before someone says that I'm just defending them because I did them but I'd already paid so I was obviously going to sit them!

It's only a debate in our own heads though for now, I think wait until the cut offs come out before we jump the gun.

I totally agree! Theres actually no evidence that there will be any difference !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 redser1

This day two weeks.....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

Does anyone know start dates for all 4 courses? Worried I am only have two or three weeks to find accommodation and move and want to prepare as much as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoundPony

UL GEMS 1st years have (mandatory) orientation the week of the 31st August and the semester starts the following Monday 7th Sept.

Presume they may have to do some of the orientation online because it was just speakers in the lecture hall for mine and we were pretty jammed in. The rest was signing up for ID cards, etc. Don't think any of the days were completely full

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CopperTone1

RCSI. First two weeks are online to accommodate a Quarantine period for international students. From week 3 you’ll be on campus for teachings, placed into smaller groups (learning communities) for lecture, labs ect. They also have access to Croke park (Monday to Saturday) as a Satellite campus. If you have any more questions just ask.

Semester 1
    Programme starts: 31 August 2020
    Mid-term break: 26 October-1 November 2020
    Reading week: 26-10 December 2020
    Exams: 11-21 December 2020
    Christmas Vacation: 22 December-5 January 2021

Semester 2
    Programme starts: 6 January 2021
    Reading week: 15-21 February 2021
    Spring Break: 31 March- 11 April 2021
    Reading week: 26-9 May 2021
    Exams: 10-30 May 2021
    Clinical Placement: May 31-27 June 2021
    Supplemental exams (repeats): 19 July-8 August 2021

UCDs general academic calendar indicates 14-18 Sept for orientation class and 21st Sept for teaching term. Whether that is the same for GEMs I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

any way of knowing if the number of applicants for GEM this year is comparable to others, or if more/less have applied? Thought you could find out from the CAO but had no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gradmed2020

Does anyone know if one was to be successful in getting an offer, does the college contact you first or is the offer from the CAO the first thing we'd hear?

Does anyone know if one was to be successful in getting an offer, does the college contact you first or is the offer from the CAO the first thing we'd hear?

I think there is a text and email from CAO. CAO handle first and second round of offers and I believe it then transfers over to college admissions. If someone leaves the course or there are a few spots after a certain point then college make offers to next candidates.

Six sleeps guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stranger_Ings

Has anyone managed to get any info out of the admissions office's with regards to whether they should expect an offer? Surely someone has the inside track with regards to how things stand point-wise

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hopeful GEM

Has anyone managed to get any info out of the admissions office's with regards to whether they should expect an offer? Surely someone has the inside track with regards to how things stand point-wise

Won’t hear anything until Saturday. Highly doubt they’re gonna give anything away and it’s CAO that handles the points and selection business

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bella11

It’s one strange year....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PhoenixD15

Does anyone know when fees have to be paid? Hopefully there is enough of a window to allow for the final round of offers to go out?

• Advertisement

Maybe the 16k is payable in installments or is it a once off? Am wondering what happens if I get a last minute place in Dublin but have already started elsewhere.. 16k is huge to forfeit...

Has anyone heard anything about expected start dates? UL contacted me to say their orientation starts August 31st and their teaching Sept 7th. Do we know the dates of anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

RCSI is starting on the 31st too.

UCD orientation TBA but teaching starts for Gradmed on 21 Sept.

PhoenixD15 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when fees have to be paid? Hopefully there is enough of a window to allow for the final round of offers to go out?

UCD for last year was three installments, Nov Feb and June but I guess your looking to find out about Limerick and cork it is probably on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

Anyone know how many EU and international places there are going for UCC? i cant seem to find it anywhere online >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CopperTone1

Best of luck tomorrow everyone. Hoping to see some of your in RCSI

Best of luck tomorrow everyone. Hoping to see some of your in RCSI

Same from me! Hope to meet some of you in UCD.

Passing the evening with more chocolate and netflux ... It's been a feature of all the emo moments far, want to jam in relaxation before potential four years of constant study.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hopeful GEM

Same from me! Hope to meet some of you in UCD.

Passing the evening with more chocolate and netflux ... It's been a feature of all the emo moments far, want to jam in relaxation before potential four years of constant study.
    Good to know I'm not the only one passing the evening the same! Very excited/nervous tomorrow. Funny to think that some of us will be in the same class across the different colleges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 medgal22

is there another round after tomorrow? Not specified on CAO document...

Advertisement