Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoundPony

PS - In case I get any backlash for being a medical student who is still interested in admissions, my response is that I love my job as a peer support leader. You will find very helpful upper years in the course who provide notes, books, the low down on what certain professors emphasise on exams, etc. Most of us like to take care of the incoming class because the memories of first year are still raw lol. In fact, many consultants have come back to academia to participate in admissions and running the medical school. It is a passion for some to guide the next cohort, so I'd appreciate it if people didn't malign anyone trying to help in this forum. There aren't enough actual medical students or graduates posting in Ireland as it is...

Exactly. Well said Flimsy_Boat

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bella11

RoundPony wrote: »
    Exactly. Well said Flimsy_Boat

Oh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

RoundPony wrote: »
    This was a financial reason. Others are usually location.

This was quite possibly me! Did their name begin with a F?

Also, how TF do people finance Grad med? I thought the loan was higher than what it actually is. The loan will just cover tuition fees. I have some savings but they will only cover about a year worth of living expenses and rent. Idk if many would be able to work part time with the demand of the course, so how do people do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Also, how TF do people finance Grad med? I thought the loan was higher than what it actually is. The loan will just cover tuition fees. I have some savings but they will only cover about a year worth of living expenses and rent. Idk if many would be able to work part time with the demand of the course, so how do people do it?

I know a few people who have just had to work anyway, there wasn't another option for them but to do some hours every week, another friend had to get parents to help them out. I dunno if there are other options because as far as I can tell you can't get a living expenses loan alongside the tuition one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1direction

I personally have a mix of family support and also work at the weekends which works for me at the moment but I don’t know how people manage without family support unless you’re the likes of the pharmacists who make decent money locuming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

I still have no idea. When I think of the amount of money needed to fund the four years it terrifies me. May be the reason I turn down my place this year unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoundPony

No name started with a T!

It is hard. I worked and saved what I could before starting. I also have family support thankfully but I've had to make some cut backs. I got a job the summer after 1st year and they kept me on through 2nd year and despite them being very flexible, I struggled with juggling everything at times.

As 1direction said, the pharmacists (and physios, nurses) get well paid for a lesser amount of time than say working in a shop so I wouldn't dare say it is easier but if you are coming from those areas it is more manageable to work.

I also totally agree it is very difficult to manage without financial support of family. Especially coming into 3rd/4th year. I fully expect these clinical years to cost me way more travelling to different locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

I still have no idea. When I think of the amount of money needed to fund the four years it terrifies me. May be the reason I turn down my place this year unfortunately

This is why I am coming to it so old, we have mortgage mostly paid and between savings and partners wages won't need the loan. If you can work weekends and study at night and work over the summers it might work out? This may involve living at home or with a relative. Can you get networking with others from your class to share accomodation to reduce costs?

It's hard to stomach living hand to mouth for four years and then handing over a chunk of not amazing wages to pay off fees.

Another option is Derry next year. The fees are so much more affordable. It's heartbreaking to hear you get in but might not be able to afford.

Gamsat is valid for the two years could you save your butt off and do 2022?

In terms of working and studying, people are doing it. As someone said they are locuming or you could give leaving cert grinds?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Big respect to all you Grad Med students (and your families) who scrimp and save to get the job done. It's no small feat and should be applauded.

This is why I am coming to it so old, we have mortgage mostly paid and between savings and partners wages won't need the loan. If you can work weekends and study at night and work over the summers it might work out? This may involve living at home or with a relative. Can you get networking with others from your class to share accomodation to reduce costs?

It's hard to stomach living hand to mouth for four years and then handing over a chunk of not amazing wages to pay off fees.

Another option is Derry next year. The fees are so much more affordable. It's heartbreaking to hear you get in but might not be able to afford.

Gamsat is valid for the two years could you save your butt off and do 2022?

In terms of working and studying, people are doing it. As someone said they are locuming or you could give leaving cert grinds?

I sat the GAMSAT in March 2019 and I turned down a place in Limerick last year. I got an offer for Limerick this year. But the finances scare me, also I wasnt intending to do medicine this year, I was going to do a conversion into psychology until I found out the actual expense that goes into it (you work full time for free for a year, you pay to do your PhD etc) so I found a really nice cheap place to live in dublin. I left my job and I've paid the deposit and first months rent in Dublin, truth is Ive wanted to live in Dublin for years. I was considering maybe taking this year as a year off slightly, I can work part time and do evening courses in things like history and acting and philosophy, things I've never got to study before. And possibly applying for Derry for 2021 entry as it's cheaper but I'm also worrying that this is a stupid decision as a. If I do get Derry I will be going into my first year where if I had taken the course last year I would be going into my third year. B. There's no guarantee I'd get Derry. I got an interview and put on the waitlist with Nottingham in 2019, it's a fricking nightmare in someways, the GAMSAT is only the first step in the application, you have to have done loads of healthcare and hospital experience which seems difficult to get in the ROI, you need references, a personal statement and then the dreaded MMI stations. It's like an exam and your competing against everyone else you are sent into a room and presented with a scenario that requires knowledge of how the NHS works and the rules and repercussions and like how to handle nasty co workers or a teenager who is a Jehovah witness needs a blood transfusion, she wants it, her parents don't, what do you do, and things around medical ethics, and talking about conflict or very specific incidents from your health care work experience, has to be health care work experience, not regular work experience. You have like 13 if these rooms all with different scenarios and are timed in each one and then are relayed to the next station. I know this is what they use to examine actual med students, but it's difficult and I feel like the UK students definitely have an upper hand due to their ability to get work shadow experience easier and just working knowledge of the NHS.
    So idk if I'm just bei g stupid putting off medicine with the hopes of Derry next year. My GAMSAT is only good for this year for the CAO but I get another year out of UCAS. I emailed Derry years ago about their program and they still update me every few months. Plus part of what is making me hesitant, other than already having a room rented in Dublin that I am due to move into in like 2 days, and that I don't particularly like or want to move to Limerick, is that I know too many doctors, and are all are super negative about a career in Medicine, and the hours, the hours scare me, but truth is no job is ever going to be 100% what you want to do. But the fear if what if this isn't right for me, it's so expensive, etc.
    Gahhhhhhhh :(

• Advertisement

I sat the GAMSAT in March 2019 and I turned down a place in Limerick last year. I got an offer for Limerick this year. But the finances scare me, also I wasnt intending to do medicine this year, I was going to do a conversion into psychology until I found out the actual expense that goes into it (you work full time for free for a year, you pay to do your PhD etc) so I found a really nice cheap place to live in dublin. I left my job and I've paid the deposit and first months rent in Dublin, truth is Ive wanted to live in Dublin for years. I was considering maybe taking this year as a year off slightly, I can work part time and do evening courses in things like history and acting and philosophy, things I've never got to study before. And possibly applying for Derry for 2021 entry as it's cheaper but I'm also worrying that this is a stupid decision as a. If I do get Derry I will be going into my first year where if I had taken the course last year I would be going into my third year. B. There's no guarantee I'd get Derry. I got an interview and put on the waitlist with Nottingham in 2019, it's a fricking nightmare in someways, the GAMSAT is only the first step in the application, you have to have done loads of healthcare and hospital experience which seems difficult to get in the ROI, you need references, a personal statement and then the dreaded MMI stations. It's like an exam and your competing against everyone else you are sent into a room and presented with a scenario that requires knowledge of how the NHS works and the rules and repercussions and like how to handle nasty co workers or a teenager who is a Jehovah witness needs a blood transfusion, she wants it, her parents don't, what do you do, and things around medical ethics, and talking about conflict or very specific incidents from your health care work experience, has to be health care work experience, not regular work experience. You have like 13 if these rooms all with different scenarios and are timed in each one and then are relayed to the next station. I know this is what they use to examine actual med students, but it's difficult and I feel like the UK students definitely have an upper hand due to their ability to get work shadow experience easier and just working knowledge of the NHS.
    So idk if I'm just bei g stupid putting off medicine with the hopes of Derry next year. My GAMSAT is only good for this year for the CAO but I get another year out of UCAS. I emailed Derry years ago about their program and they still update me every few months. Plus part of what is making me hesitant, other than already having a room rented in Dublin that I am due to move into in like 2 days, and that I don't particularly like or want to move to Limerick, is that I know too many doctors, and are all are super negative about a career in Medicine, and the hours, the hours scare me, but truth is no job is ever going to be 100% what you want to do. But the fear if what if this isn't right for me, it's so expensive, etc.
    Gahhhhhhhh :(

It’s a dilemma. Did you apply to UCC? I think it’s the style of learning in Limerick that puts people off, it doesn’t suit everyone! It’s a nice city! You could get Dublin in later rounds? There could be a shift in points yet

bella11 wrote: »
    It’s a dilemma. Did you apply to UCC? I think it’s the style of learning in Limerick that puts people off, it doesn’t suit everyone! It’s a nice city! You could get Dublin in later rounds? There could be a shift in points yet

I've actually not been to Cork since I was 9. My home house is in the NW so I put Cork last as it was very far away and I knew nothing about it. Blehhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NiceMedBoy

I just got a call from RCSI, I was on 61* and they are offering me spot tomorrow! I already accepted UCD! I said yes. Means if I take RCSI UCD might go to 58*. Good luck guys

• Registered Users Posts: 37 redser1

anyone here doing grad entry in cork at the mo? Is it a good programme? Clinical placement starts to early in UCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NiceMedBoy

Guys, anyone going into or already in the RCSI GEM? I would really appreciate advice or insight. I really didn't mind either schools (rcsi or ucd). Had rcsi as first choice as i live few minutes walk from main campus and would save on commute. Now, after accepting ucd, I've come to accept and love that idea. Any pros/cons or advice to help either sway me to RCSI or keep me firm in ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lilywhites789

Hi everyone, I got offered UL last weekend but I was hoping to get UCC. I know the cut off point for UCC was 58* but my gamsat score was 57. Its looking like I haven’t gotten offered a place today in round 1. Is there a chance does anybody know from their own experience that I might get offered a place over the next couple of weeks?or would I be too far down the list? I’m just not sure whether to go ahead and get everything organised for UL

Hi everyone, I got offered UL last weekend but I was hoping to get UCC. I know the cut off point for UCC was 58* but my gamsat score was 57. Its looking like I haven’t gotten offered a place today in round 1. Is there a chance does anybody know from their own experience that I might get offered a place over the next couple of weeks?or would I be too far down the list? I’m just not sure whether to go ahead and get everything organised for UL

I think people posted about being assigned a random number for allocation of places that come up, I can't remember how you find out your number. If it was me, I would prep for UL and if cork comes up then happy days. There could be a good few on 58 awaiting a place in cork. Congratulations on getting UL! The four years will fly.

Sorry i don't have an answer for your question but i don't think round 1 is today? I think its in September according to another poster who emailed the cao.

NiceMedBoy wrote: »
    Guys, anyone going into or already in the RCSI GEM? I would really appreciate advice or insight. I really didn't mind either schools (rcsi or ucd). Had rcsi as first choice as i live few minutes walk from main campus and would save on commute. Now, after accepting ucd, I've come to accept and love that idea. Any pros/cons or advice to help either sway me to RCSI or keep me firm in ucd?

Well done on getting both!

I think the consensus is that both institutions offer equally good academic and career prospects. I chose between them purely based on the hospital networks as all the hospitals are commutable from where I live, except Wexford and the Midlands one. I have studied at both UCD and RCSI and found them both good but outside of academics I prefer UCD as the campus feels leafy the gym is great, I love the running track through the trees and there are so many clubs and societies.

Maybe someone can speak more about social side of RCSI I was only there as an external student. How easy is it for you to get to Beaumont and Connolly? Connolly is a lovely hospital from my dealings with it. Rotunda is fantastic if your interested in that field. They have a wonderful patient focused ethos.

Might see you in Belfield in Sept x

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skrrskrr97

Hi LilyWhites

Congrats on the offer!

I had the exact same predicament at this stage last year - same gamsat score, cutoffs, and I didn't get an offer to UCC. I accepted UL initially, but after considering it a bit more I didn't finalise my place. I took the year out, worked, travelled, did the gamsat again and thankfully got a higher score. It's easy to say now that I am pretty happy with my decision, but taking a year out isn't such a bad thing. It's also a good opportunity to earn a bit before GEM, though that might be easier said than done with covid and what not. Good luck in making your decision!

• Advertisement

skrrskrr97 wrote: »
    Hi LilyWhites

Congrats on the offer!

I had the exact same predicament at this stage last year - same gamsat score, cutoffs, and I didn't get an offer to UCC. I accepted UL initially, but after considering it a bit more I didn't finalise my place. I took the year out, worked, travelled, did the gamsat again and thankfully got a higher score. It's easy to say now that I am pretty happy with my decision, but taking a year out isn't such a bad thing. It's also a good opportunity to earn a bit before GEM, though that might be easier said than done with covid and what not. Good luck in making your decision!

Well done on improving your score! Are you heading to UCC this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kadjar

Hi Lilywhites,

I just received an offer from UCC about an hour ago. My GAMSAT score is also 57 so there’s definitely hope.

I just recieved an offer from Ul so they are doing more rounds of offers this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

did you guys get offers through the CAO? im on a 57 and i’m dying for a place in UCC im really holding out for any sliver of hope for getting a spot :( but congrats to you guys thats so exciting!!!

Any offers for UCD today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wannabeGEM

ma003 wrote: »
    I just recieved an offer from Ul so they are doing more rounds of offers this year!

Really happy for you congrats!! Was your offer from the CAO or UL? keeping my fingers crossed

My friend just got UCC with 57. All 58s must have got into UCC this year! Could lead to a drop in other colleges, chance UCD could go to 58* also...

My friend just got UCC with 57. All 58s must have got into UCC this year! Could lead to a drop in other colleges, chance UCD could go to 58* also...

Assuming UCD did go to 58* as offers were made today and all on 59 had already been offered a place

Assuming UCD did go to 58* as offers were made today and all on 59 had already been offered a place

Best to stay in contact with admissions so there’s still a long way to go yet!

• Advertisement

Best to stay in contact with admissions so there’s still a long way to go yet!

There’s hope for us all, you hoping for UL?

Advertisement