Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

tringle wrote: »
    No, they dont care what age you are, what gender, what you look like or anything like that. Its actually a very fair system that way. Well as fair as you can be once people are involved at the interview stage. Im older than you.

A funny aside, a few years ago i applied for and was succesful in getting a job mainly occupied by younger people. 12 of us started together, 9 in teens and early 20s. I went to a new section one day and one of the long term employees in her 30s said to me that it was great to have 3 Women in the new starters, women as in older than the usual. She said she even heard than one was even 50, wasnt that great and fair play to her. I just agreed with her and smirked, cos that was me. Honestly what was she expecting, a grey bun and a zimmer frame.
    Would the mix be mainly female or male. Or is it closer to 50 :50. I really hope I get this. Can't face the thought of being unemployed for much longer and opportunities are going to be slim now

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Would the mix be mainly female or male. Or is it closer to 50 :50. I really hope I get this. Can't face the thought of being unemployed for much longer and opportunities are going to be slim now

Ive been in two departments. The first one was about 2/3 female, mostly long serving. New intakes were 50 50 and all ages. Youngest there starting with me was 18 and oldest 61. Department i am in now would be an even mix and all ageds. It has a high turnover of staff.

Ive been in two departments. The first one was about 2/3 female, mostly long serving. New intakes were 50 50 and all ages. Youngest there starting with me was 18 and oldest 61. Department i am in now would be an even mix and all ageds. It has a high turnover of staff.

That's great. Thanks for the info. As a matter of interest, why do you think the staff turnover is high?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

No, they dont care what age you are, what gender, what you look like or anything like that. Its actually a very fair system that way. Well as fair as you can be once people are involved at the interview stage. Im older than you.

Good to hear as I'm middle aged as well

That's great. Thanks for the info. As a matter of interest, why do you think the staff turnover is high?

A number of factors, location (including no parking) , overworked, public office, restricted flexi, poor management, lacking of training, cliques. Just for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Low pay is main reason in Dublin.

A number of factors, location (including no parking) , overworked, public office, restricted flexi, poor management, lacking of training, cliques. Just for a start.

I'd add boredom and the incredibly repetitive nature of a lot of the work and I mean incredibly;)
    I've worked in the private sector all my life where I had a lot of responsibility, made decisions, supervised staff, worked with Regional Manger and CEO, showed initiative,had weekly meetings/progress updates with staff and worked to a definite plan.
    I'm a CO since January and I find the work itself is the biggest issue. Money is crap but I'm a lot closer to home now that's good (this was the biggest reason I left private sector in Dublin) , Flexi time is great but overall the work is a head wreck because there's no challenge. There's nothing I can do about this - it is what it is.

Management is poor, there are no meetings to let us know if a work practice has changed, you just hear it from a colleague. There are no weekly staff meetings and zero training. The application process bears no resemblance to the work you end up doing. No point in saying you "dont like repetitive work" because that's what you'll be doing. Maybe this is just in my Department but I'm guessing its widespread.

I'd say this suits many people, its easy and there's no stress, but the way my brain is I need a challenge and to be active. You are definitely a very tiny cog in a very very big wheel. 3 people I started with resigned in first 3 months. They were in their thirties and fifties and worked in the private sector before. Its not the easiest transition.

Pros and cons to everything I suppose, boredom is the biggest issue for me.

I spend over an hour in the car each morning half of which is just sitting in traffic. I pay to park my car. And i just get abuse all day long from the public. The manager seems to change our job spec monthly and once you feel you have got the hang of what you are doing you get moved to another section.

I was TCO in another department. A 5 minute drive from my house, in the summer i cycled. Free parking, very solid training and a great gang to work with and managers who listened. Only engagement with the public was a few daily phonecalls. Yes it was boring but i joined the civil service for the security and glad of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

What departments are you guys in? I suppose getting term time depends on the office you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I don't think there is flexi-time if you get a Garda station.
    Even some sections of Agri have flexi, and some do not, even thought they are in the same building.
    The people without flexi have more annual leave though.

I'm in a Garda station and we do have flexi.
    Some offices may have to be staffed till 5.45pm but not the one I'm in.

I'm not sure about increased annual leave for those not on flexi. I think it's the standard 22 days regardless. With flexi all you're getting back is what you have worked up - to the minute. So it may appear that it gives extra days off but in fact the hours have already been worked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

After reading the last few posts I'm def in 2 minds now if I get offered a position!

Doesn't seem very attractive alright but a jobs a job I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

It really depends on the department and section within that department. I've been a TCO for a while now and mainly do EO work as I came in to replace one on term time. It can be really busy and very varied. The other COs around here are equally busy and very happy in their roles. Maybe we're just the lucky ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

finla wrote: »
    It really depends on the department and section within that department. I've been a TCO for a while now and mainly do EO work as I came in to replace one on term time. It can be really busy and very varied. The other COs around here are equally busy and very happy in their roles. Maybe we're just the lucky ones?

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. The job c.o could be anything in any organisation.all down to luck

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭U1D2C3

I'm applying due to burn out in social care and fact Im having my first baby (hoping timing will work out in my favour!!!). All I want is a job with no stress and no chaos. :D

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. The job c.o could be anything in any organisation.all down to luck

yep I agree, and I didn't mean my post to be overly negative. I am definitely a drone in my department though, I can leave my brain at home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

yep I agree, and I didn't mean my post to be overly negative. I am definitely a drone in my department though, I can leave my brain at home ;)

Would it be too personal to ask what it is you do, i.e. you daily tasks, department etc...

Mad to think in this day and age work can be so manual and doesn't necessitate thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Would it be too personal to ask what it is you do, i.e. you daily tasks, department etc...

Mad to think in this day and age work can be so manual and doesn't necessitate thinking

Ah Jasus, it's not sweeping the street we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

What sort of work in Garda station would be available if offered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I'm in a Garda station and we do have flexi.
    Some offices may have to be staffed till 5.45pm but not the one I'm in.

I'm not sure about increased annual leave for those not on flexi. I think it's the standard 22 days regardless. With flexi all you're getting back is what you have worked up - to the minute. So it may appear that it gives extra days off but in fact the hours have already been worked up.

Interesting I'd imagine , is it ? The Garda station post ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Icbaby

If your successful, whats the story with job offers. Example, I've 5 plus years in a accounts department, but no customer service experience per the questions we filled out. Do they try and match your skill set to what jobs they need filled, or is it simply your no. Whatever on the panel, your taking next job regardless of your skillset ?

No they don’t match you with anything. Every CO starts the same, they teach everybody the same. Your skill set will only be used for helping you move internally at a later stage I would think. I’m a reporting/ systems analyst and am in the call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Icbaby wrote: »
    No they don’t match you with anything. Every CO starts the same, they teach everybody the same. Your skill set will only be used for helping you move internally at a later stage I would think. I’m a reporting/ systems analyst and am in the call centre.

Even the less "common" (I'm assuming) skills, like those who select the Irish language option (which requires relative fluency - something fairly uncommon I would think)?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Icbaby

Gumbi wrote: »
    Even the less "common" (I'm assuming) skills, like those who select the Irish language option (which requires relative fluency - something fairly uncommon I would think)?

Being able to speak fluent Irish is different. I believe your still put in the CO job allocated but you are on a call list for Irish speakers so if someone wants to speak in Irish it will be routed to you.

AdrianG08 wrote: »

It would ;)

like other poster said its grand - suits some people, not others, like everything in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What sort of work in Garda station would be available if offered ?

Manning the front desk, answering phones, sending and receiving post, stamping passport and driver's licence applications, doing paperwork that doesn't need to be done by a guard, and (not directly part of the job description) depending on the station making sure there is tea bags and milk in the break room, looking through the speed camera photos and writing down the reg plates and speeds. If assigned to a Garda station you're there to lighten the load of non-garda work on the Guards, make their job easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

LilacNails wrote: »
    After reading the last few posts I'm def in 2 minds now if I get offered a position!

Take it. There are some great benefits. 22 days holidays, 12 flexi days, 6 fexi half days, Good Friday off etc. Every ten years, the country goes into recession but you'll still have a job.

This 30 second video should swing it for you https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-E99xe-uGq0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

"The government has suspended flexitime for civil and public servants as it attempts to mobilise its 340,000 employees to address the most pressing demands generated by the Covid-19 virus."

Temporary I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Icbaby wrote: »
    Being able to speak fluent Irish is different. I believe your still put in the CO job allocated but you are on a call list for Irish speakers so if someone wants to speak in Irish it will be routed to you.

Would it put me "higher up the list" in any way, given that those with this skill are likely less common, right? Or is it irrelevant for the selection process?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

"The government has suspended flexitime for civil and public servants as it attempts to mobilise its 340,000 employees to address the most pressing demands generated by the Covid-19 virus."

Temporary I'm sure.

Yep, clocking is suspended while this shut-down goes on.
    But as people who are still having to come into the office are either doing 7am till 1.30 or 2pm till 8.30 ( half hour in between to minimise chance of cross contamination on the shift change) and typically not taking their lunch break during working hours, it works out much the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RossMeath

Hopefully right forum- anyone know what the order of merit from psychometric evaluation will be released?

Advertisement