Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 condubh

I got my start date with DSP and contract there as well, so not waiting too long after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paquidollo

Hi!
    If anyone is interested, Co. Laois OOM 36
    Co. Tipperary OOM 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Smithca!

Anyone else been offered a position for courts services Dublin??
    Got word on the 1st June of position, waiting to hear from HR… by sounds of things il be waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ioanamiron2014

I was informed on 29th April that I was assigned to a CO position and that HR would contact me. I'm still waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

Smithca! wrote: »
    Anyone else been offered a position for courts services Dublin??
    Got word on the 1st June of position, waiting to hear from HR… by sounds of things il be waiting a while.

When you got your message from PAS where you were assigned, did you give you an email address for HR in the Courts? If they did give you an email you can always drop them an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Smithca!

When you got your message from PAS where you were assigned, did you give you an email address for HR in the Courts? If they did give you an email you can always drop them an email.

I did send them an email just asking for info re location and start date. Didn’t get a reply as of yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

Smithca! wrote: »
    I did send them an email just asking for info re location and start date. Didn’t get a reply as of yet!

OK so you just know you have been assigned to the court service but not sure on location in Dublin yet. I suppose they are busy but if you don't hear anything by next week no harm dropping them another email and see if you get a response. Good luck and hope you hear something from them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

On OOM 160 for Limerick.... its starting to move fast now...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angela64

Does anyone know what OOM is reached in batch 24 for Dublin please?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Does anyone know how far along the Cork panel is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Does anyone know how far along the Cork panel is?

In the late 170s

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thekingofpop

Anyone know what number they are on in Meath and Westmeath please

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Azkg1234

Anyone know what batch they are working from in tipperary at moment for Co positions

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Azkg1234

Anyone know what batch they are working from in tipperary at moment for Co positions

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

blindsider wrote: »
    Christmas Eve is department-dependant, but an early finish is the norm. (Can be booked as A/L) 25th/26th are OFF - 26th is ON for retail (in most cases). The rest is booked annual leave for MOST depts, there are always exceptions e.g. Customs Officers/ Immigration etc.

IIRC most retail = no hols from mid-November to mid Jan and around Sale time.

Ive previously worked in a CS department that worked through Christmas (Finished an hour early on xmas eve), off Xmas day & Stephens day then back to work up untill new years(worked full day) & off new years day

It's important that you to clarify what you mean by take home pay and how often you are paid. Are you receiving €600 every week directly into your bank account? Or is the amount you receive after all tax deductions much less than €600?

If the amount going into your bank account every week is €600 then you need to seriously consider the financial hit you are about to take. Without a promotion you will not have this income again for almost 15 years. Could you cope with this?

You may get a promotion. You may not. These are highly competitive positions and several others will be expecting, perhaps naively, to climb the ladder almost instantly. Sad reality is there are more CO positions than any other grade. While you see people being promoted all the time you do need to consider that most people around you won't ever be. Some won't want it, some won't be competent enough but even for those that do want it and are more than capable there won't be enough positions to satisfy their needs. Many people at CO level are ridiculously over qualified. They may never get beyond that grade. You need to be open to the prospect that you could be stuck at CO for a long time.

Every department is different. Posters here have mentioned flexi and work life balance. The department's business needs will always come first. You could get remote working and flexible hours. Or, you could end up with no flexible hours working rostered shifts just like retail. You may get a unit that has ridiculously high rates of absenteeism and turnover due to burnout. You may get a unit that's the best balance of teamwork, support and self development you'll ever find and look forward to most days working with them.

Like any large private or public sector entity there's a lot of luck involved. Everyone's experience and mileage varies. I feel you need to consider this decision a lot more before taking the plunge. If it doesn't work out will it be easy for you to transition back to where you were? If you don't like your current job maybe some other pathway is more suitable to you.

If take home pay is what you're referring to I can say I made a very similar decision to the one you are contemplating. I will never get back to the earnings potential I could have once had. I don't regret that one bit. It does take a lot of adjustment. The first year was by far the most difficult. In hindsight I wish I had better prepared for it. I actually did a fair amount of research, budgeting and planning. I still found it a struggle. In many ways I also got really lucky. Nobody got sick. No appliances needed replacing. The job I got had almost no commute. So many things went my way that may not have for others.

Can you afford your basic bills with almost €200 less per week in your pocket?
    What happens if you or someone close to you gets sick?
    Did you have a private pension? How does this compare to your new public one?
    There's a tonne of stuff you need to consider before taking your pay cut.

This is brilliant, rounded advice

Fatherfred wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some advice. I recently got a job as a clerical officer and I am delighted but when I told my employer I was leaving I was offered more money my take home pay is 600 the job is stressful 9-5 retail which I never intended on staying long 12 years later I'm still here I cycle to work in 10 mins. I really want to try my hand in the public sector but would I be mad to consider this paycut and the Clerical officer job would mean a 45min commute need an answer by Monday my head is melted

What did you decide??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Christmas Eve is department-dependant, but an early finish is the norm. (Can be booked as A/L) 25th/26th are OFF - 26th is ON for retail (in most cases). The rest is booked annual leave for MOST depts, there are always exceptions e.g. Customs Officers/ Immigration etc.

IIRC most retail = no hols from mid-November to mid Jan and around Sale time.

Thanks for that clarity. I'm trying to get into the CS myself and Christmas is a huge thing for me. I have a sibling and inlaws that visit at Christmas. So, I need to consider this once I do secure employment, depending on the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Ive previously worked in a CS department that worked through Christmas (Finished an hour early on xmas eve), off Xmas day & Stephens day then back to work up untill new years(worked full day) & off new years day

Apart from the part in bold, this is what I've written. The BIG differrence is, that you can book AL over Christmas in the CS, and many people do; you normally can't in retail.

I've never worked in a company that made staff stay until 4.30 on Christmas Eve...retail does tho...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

Apart from the part in bold, this is what I've written. The BIG differrence is, that you can book AL over Christmas in the CS, and many people do; you normally can't in retail.

I've never worked in a company that made staff stay until 4.30 on Christmas Eve...retail does tho...

I can vouch for that *rolls eyes". Often rostered until 6pm on Xmas eve. You'll be surprised of the last minute shoppers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Anyone know how long before you get your assignment from AGS thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Does everybody do a "paper" version vetting and then an online link one too???

Mine says "application submitted to NVB for processing" for a week now is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ahem123

Does everybody do a "paper" version vetting and then an online link one too???

Mine says "application submitted to NVB for processing" for a week now is that normal?

Just got mine yesterday, took a week and a day. Just keep checking it online and track it's progress. Don't be alarmed if the final message reads "a disclosure has been made to PAS", sounds like a negative message but it's just the way it's worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Ahem123 wrote: »
    Just got mine yesterday, took a week and a day. Just keep checking it online and track it's progress. Don't be alarmed if the final message reads "a disclosure has been made to PAS", sounds like a negative message but it's just the way it's worded.

Ah super thanks so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

tiny14 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long before you get your assignment from AGS thanks

If your vetting is complete then it should be a matter of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

If your vetting is complete then it should be a matter of days.

Thanks very much its complete since thursday so was just wondering as im working at moment & will have to work out notice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Has anyone assigned to DEASP in the last couple of weeks/months heard back from HR or have you started even ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 condubh

Has anyone assigned to DEASP in the last couple of weeks/months heard back from HR or have you started even ?

Starting early next month. I was only waiting a couple of weeks to get assigned and get a start after I sent them all my documents, but I know a lot of people have said they were waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭alanbyrne1982

I was assigned to Deasp weeks ago I haven't heard a thing. Emailed clearance and they came back to me and said "The Department of Social Protection got back to me that they are currently working through an unprecedented volume of assignments. You will be contacted in the coming weeks"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I was assigned to Deasp weeks ago I haven't heard a thing. Emailed clearance and they came back to me and said "The Department of Social Protection got back to me that they are currently working through an unprecedented volume of assignments. You will be contacted in the coming weeks"

No doubt they are, all the more reason why they should have been recruiting.

Advertisement