Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭abbeybella

Tio07 wrote: »
    This is the general rules for civil service, further education is done via the refund of fees scheme, some departments have further criteria around business needs and courses being recognised Gar relevant to your role or duties etc but most departments are very supportive of up skilling and further education.

https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/finance/2007/23.pdf

Thanks very much , very helpful 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Smithca!

Hi there,
    Has anyone in batch 23 for Dublin be offered a job yet?
    I have submitted my paperwork and awaiting my Garda clearance. Hoping all is processed by next week. Any info appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Marksman73

My partner interviewed about a month ago and was told they passed the interview and placed 106 on the co Dublin panel. I’m seeing all these batch numbers and confused as they didn’t get a batch number.

Also since there is no clerical officer campaign this year yet, I’m presuming that the panel will run past End of may

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angela64

There is no end date for the panel at the moment

• Advertisement

Angela64 wrote: »
    There is no end date for the panel at the moment
    Thanks for that! Do you mind me asking did you do your interview recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Marksman73 wrote: »
    My partner interviewed about a month ago and was told they passed the interview and placed 106 on the co Dublin panel. I’m seeing all these batch numbers and confused as they didn’t get a batch number.

If the message delivered was on the Publicjobs website, check it again. They don't give a OOM number without a batch number.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angela64

I did my interview on 3rd May. I got batch 24 OOM 107. I sent a message asking about the end date and got a reply that there wasn't any yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dudelove

Hi anyone been offered a place with the HSE since the cyber attack happened?..or can we expect a long delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭daffodill50

Can you apply for mobility on day one of your perm CO role? If so, how do you submit the request?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Can you apply for mobility on day one of your perm CO role? If so, how do you submit the request?

You can apply but you won't be eligible for a move until you've completed 2 years in your current location. You apply through People Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fatherfred

Can anyone give me some advice. I recently got a job as a clerical officer and I am delighted but when I told my employer I was leaving I was offered more money my take home pay is 600 the job is stressful 9-5 retail which I never intended on staying long 12 years later I'm still here I cycle to work in 10 mins. I really want to try my hand in the public sector but would I be mad to consider this paycut and the Clerical officer job would mean a 45min commute need an answer by Monday my head is melted

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Angelwings8

Fatherfred wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some advice. I recently got a job as a clerical officer and I am delighted but when I told my employer I was leaving I was offered more money my take home pay is 600 the job is stressful 9-5 retail which I never intended on staying long 12 years later I'm still here I cycle to work in 10 mins. I really want to try my hand in the public sector but would I be mad to consider this paycut and the Clerical officer job would mean a 45min commute need an answer by Monday my head is melted

You would be only lower money to start but you will move up the pay scale, there is a lot more pros than cons for a Co in my opinion, I think its great to get a job like that, the benefits and maybe not as stressful as your current position which is better for your health in the long run, your pension, sick leave, job security etc.. I would take the pay cut and take the Co position and in a couple of years you will have the same money your on now.. The flexi time but help with the commute ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭doc22

You would be only lower money to start but you will move up the pay scale, there is a lot more pros than cons for a Co in my opinion, I think its great to get a job like that, the benefits and maybe not as stressful as your current position which is better for your health in the long run, your pension, sick leave, job security etc.. I would take the pay cut and take the Co position and in a couple of years you will have the same money your on now.. The flexi time but help with the commute ðŸ˜

As a clerical officer it'll be a long time before you take home 600 euro a week:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

@Fatherfred

Long-term CS outlook:

37 hr week - 7hrs 24mins x 5 days
    No weekend work
    No late Thursday or Friday hours
    Flexitime - 1.5 days per month
    Internal promotions
    Steady pace of work
    Christmas holidays
    Job security after probation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

blindsider wrote: »
    @Fatherfred

Long-term CS outlook:

37 hr week - 7hrs 24mins x 5 days
    No weekend work
    No late Thursday or Friday hours
    Flexitime - 1.5 days per month
    Internal promotions
    Steady pace of work
    Christmas holidays
    Job security after probation

Christmas holidays? Are we talking a few days off each side of Christmas or just Christmas eve/day off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

Hi OP

I would still take the paycut and the distance.

I work in retail myself and trying my hardest to keep an eye out for Clerical Officer panels with no luck and I would gladly take the paycut. Retail is horrible unless you're ambitious enough to work in management and above and even at that, it's competitive to the point where I've seen people leave the company I am with due to stress that's beyond their control and often not in their contract (workloads I mean).
    I know one manager who went as far as leaning towards being a store manager and left as soon as they got a Public Sector role. They said their mental health has been amazing. No stress. Mon-Fri, set hours. Make up hours. Holidays. Even the maternity leave is a lot better. Even their social life has perked as they made new friends in a place they enjoy being in. The company I am with really only cares for their profits which is understandable but they fail to realise that the employers are human, not robots.

Sometimes we have to factor in our mental health rather than our wages. Even though a higher wage means better quality, savings, paying rent etc, it doesn't necessarily mean we have to allow our mind and body to take that as a means to go through life.

It's an opportunity worth taking IMO and it's not the end of the world. Public Sector roles have various depts and maneuvering and you'll probably find that you'll work harder than you do now in retail. Yes the money maybe great but you've a lot more to offer to yourself than staying in a company you're really not happy in.

That's my plan anyways

Good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Be mad not to swap retail for CS. If you can take the pay cut do it. If you're motivated you'll progress quickly enough.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

You might be able to work a day or two from home as well in the civil service so it might make the commute a bit easier if you only have to do it two or three days a week. I imagine there is zero opportunity to work from home in retail. The job is largely recession proof and covid proof as well in terms of job security. You definitely can't say that about retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Why did they only offer you more money when you were leaving? Seems like they were taking you for granted up until now. Personally, I think you would be absolutely mad not to take the job! If that was me, a few days would pass after not taking the job and I would be full of regret! Besides, what's stopping you from leaving the CS if you miss the stress of retail? Nothing. That won't happen though! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 thekingofpop

It could take you up to 5 years to bring home 600 also you have to do your PMDS with goals which have to be reached for life. Yes it is secure but the money is very bad.

Thanks very much everyone for all the advice I'm really grateful. Working from home a few days would be a big bonus I wonder how likely this would be. I have to start in three weeks if I take the job what can happen if you don't work your contractual notice I hate to do it but my indecision has cost me time.

It could take you up to 5 years to bring home 600 also you have to do your PMDS with goals which have to be reached for life. Yes it is secure but the money is very bad.

how can clerical officer take home 600 after 5 years?

Thanks very much everyone for all the advice I'm really grateful. Working from home a few days would be a big bonus I wonder how likely this would be. I have to start in three weeks if I take the job what can happen if you don't work your contractual notice I hate to do it but my indecision has cost me time.

What department were you offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

doc22 wrote: »
    how can clerical officer take home 600 after 5 years?

Im on point 10 and barely clear 550 a week with my private pension relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Hand in your notice to your employer and ask that holidays be included as part of your notice. Your current employer may not be hugely happy but if you are made permanent in the CS you may not need another reference!!

Take the CS - I'm another person who came to the CS late. Its a very family friendly organisation. Yes, the pay is not good compared to the public sector but its much more relaxed. And there are opportunities for promotion. A lot of people joined in 1979 - 80 and they are all retiring now. There will be a reasonable amount of movement over the coming couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AtomicBolts

It's important that you to clarify what you mean by take home pay and how often you are paid. Are you receiving €600 every week directly into your bank account? Or is the amount you receive after all tax deductions much less than €600?

If the amount going into your bank account every week is €600 then you need to seriously consider the financial hit you are about to take. Without a promotion you will not have this income again for almost 15 years. Could you cope with this?

You may get a promotion. You may not. These are highly competitive positions and several others will be expecting, perhaps naively, to climb the ladder almost instantly. Sad reality is there are more CO positions than any other grade. While you see people being promoted all the time you do need to consider that most people around you won't ever be. Some won't want it, some won't be competent enough but even for those that do want it and are more than capable there won't be enough positions to satisfy their needs. Many people at CO level are ridiculously over qualified. They may never get beyond that grade. You need to be open to the prospect that you could be stuck at CO for a long time.

Every department is different. Posters here have mentioned flexi and work life balance. The department's business needs will always come first. You could get remote working and flexible hours. Or, you could end up with no flexible hours working rostered shifts just like retail. You may get a unit that has ridiculously high rates of absenteeism and turnover due to burnout. You may get a unit that's the best balance of teamwork, support and self development you'll ever find and look forward to most days working with them.

Like any large private or public sector entity there's a lot of luck involved. Everyone's experience and mileage varies. I feel you need to consider this decision a lot more before taking the plunge. If it doesn't work out will it be easy for you to transition back to where you were? If you don't like your current job maybe some other pathway is more suitable to you.

If take home pay is what you're referring to I can say I made a very similar decision to the one you are contemplating. I will never get back to the earnings potential I could have once had. I don't regret that one bit. It does take a lot of adjustment. The first year was by far the most difficult. In hindsight I wish I had better prepared for it. I actually did a fair amount of research, budgeting and planning. I still found it a struggle. In many ways I also got really lucky. Nobody got sick. No appliances needed replacing. The job I got had almost no commute. So many things went my way that may not have for others.

Can you afford your basic bills with almost €200 less per week in your pocket?
    What happens if you or someone close to you gets sick?
    Did you have a private pension? How does this compare to your new public one?
    There's a tonne of stuff you need to consider before taking your pay cut.

I've been offered the department of enterprise trade and employment I hope it has all the perks.
    It's 600 after tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

job seeker wrote: »
    Christmas holidays? Are we talking a few days off each side of Christmas or just Christmas eve/day off?

Christmas Eve is department-dependant, but an early finish is the norm. (Can be booked as A/L) 25th/26th are OFF - 26th is ON for retail (in most cases). The rest is booked annual leave for MOST depts, there are always exceptions e.g. Customs Officers/ Immigration etc.

IIRC most retail = no hols from mid-November to mid Jan and around Sale time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭furrybones

Does anyone have the email address for queries on this campaign?

Apologies, I know this has probably been asked many times but I can't find it in the thread.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Advertisement