Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Down9194 wrote: »
    With no competitions allowed and clubs having little income would it be an idea that members pay keep paying comp fee for each round played to generate income and have a draw for say €50 each day. I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with it

How is that Any different to having competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

According to article in Irish Times today, Dept. of Health have confirmed that only those living within 5 Km (less than 5 minutes drive) from their course will be allowed play from May 18th.
    I can think of lots of courses where it won't be worth their while opening up on the 18th as very very few members live that close to their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

newport2 wrote: »
    I think the 2 km range (soon to to be 5 km) was for exercise. It's stated that the range limit doesn't apply for permitted things like shopping. Hopefully when restrictions are lifted on other things like golf, the same will hold. If it's outside 5km, you're going to drive. Whether my course is 5km or 25km away, I will still only interact with the same number of people.

Looks like I was wrong

http://https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/covid-19-exit-plan-golf-clubs-will-only-be-open-to-members-who-live-within-5km-1.4243842?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

tropics001 wrote: »
    that's an interesting problem but i imagine there will be total chaos if there are separate rules for over and under 70.
    Wondering if you could get Garda ID to say you're 69?
    This could trigger a huge rush for fake ids! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

newport2 wrote: »

I would imagine this will be flouted in mass. Golf courses will be full each day from the 18th unless they put a checkpoint outside a particular course. I'm lucky given I live next door to my course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Under and over 70 and under and over 5km. Interesting times ahead. Let's hope the GUI can sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

Down9194 wrote: »
    With no competitions allowed and clubs having little income would it be an idea that members pay keep paying comp fee for each round played to generate income and have a draw for say €50 each day. I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with it

Couldn't a comp be held where one players marks the card for the group and sends a photo of it into the competition secretary? Do away with the faff of having to sign the card, it's a game of honour at the end of day. One person touching the card and pencil, and that person can send the photo to the playing partners at the end of the round to validate the accuracy of the score keeping? The 5km thing is a bummer for us who live further than that from the course......I live more than 5km from the nearest supermarket too and have far more chance of spreading the virus in there and to a far larger group of people. Some wrestling with my conscience to be done for the next 2 weeks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No way in hell people will abide by the 5k restrictions for golf clubs. Once they are open, almost all members will be going, regardless of distance.

I'm 4.2km away anyway, so it's fine with me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I'm hearing lots of reports of clubs going to open up for all members regardless of the 5km limit. I can see checkpoints at certain rural courses if members are showing blatant disregard for 5km limit.
    It's risky to open on the 18th and could be the nail in the coffin for some if complaints are made to the authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The GUI will issue further guidelines but there is no way the club's will take responsibility for policing either over 70s or any travelling restrictions. It will be up to everybody individually to adhere to government restrictions.

This is exactly how it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I’m 8 km from my club. It seems to penalise people living in the country where case numbers are lowest.

Then again how do they police it?
    If it’s open on the 18th and I can play, I’ll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Travelling 5k or 50k has no bearing on you creating additional risk. This travel limit will be thrashed out when GUI sort out return to golf guidelines.
    It will be the same as going for groceries which is not limited to 5k restrictions.

Non essential travel is limited to 5km.
    Exercise is limited to 5km of your house.
    Golf is non essential.
    I don't understand why people think they can travel wherever they like to play a round of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Carazy wrote: »
    Golf is non essential.
    I don't understand why people think they can travel wherever they like to play a round of golf.

Exactly , how do you think the public are going to react if someone can’t travel 6km to a beach to go for a walk but their neighbour gets in their car and travels 8km to their local golf course !

rooney30 wrote: »
    Exactly , how do you think the public are going to react if someone can’t travel 6km to a beach to go for a walk but their neighbour gets in their car and travels 8km to their local golf course !

If people can travel unrestricted otside 5km the whole country will rock up to the "reopened" beaches as it should be the same rule for them as the golfers.
    If travel for golf is allowed it is going to have a huge impact.
    I think the GUI are giving their members false hope over the past 24hrs after weeks of silence.

Golf is non essential.

Are we reopening the country or not. You are stuck on current restrictions. We are moving to phase 1. Whether you are travelling to a building site or a golf course on the 18th May, travel restrictions won’t matter as it it moving out of the non essential bracket to ‘allowed to reopen’ bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

If people can travel unrestricted otside 5km the whole country will rock up to the "reopened" beaches as it should be the same rule for them as the golfers.
    If travel for golf is allowed it is going to have a huge impact.
    I think the GUI are giving their members false hope over the past 24hrs after weeks of silence.

Beaches are public, the golf course that I’m a member of is not.
    People can easily walk within 5 km if there home. I can’t play golf within 5 km.
    a drive to our nearest town, to where I will be shopping and where I play golf is more than 5 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

How in the name of Arnold Palmer can the Garda enforce this?
    I work 14km from home and have a letter from my employment stating my work is classed as essential. Social distancing is being monitored at work, but not as much as on a course or even in a shop, due to the nature of the work itself.
    The golf club I am a member of is 8 km on the same route. I suppose another month not playing won't hurt. Eeek!
    Can't see Gardaí or club officials at the gate of the club with Google maps asking for eircodes of members homes.
    Clubs will only be able to ask members to follow recommendations and won't want to damage relations with their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

A friend pointed this out to me yesterday - if you live for example 4.2km from your course and any part of your course brings you further than 5km from your home, you are in breach of regulations.

You shouldn’t be more than 5km from your home at any point - so maybe you can play certain holes and skip the farthest ones?

Madness - either open completely for your members or not at all.

As for policing it? Can’t see that going down well - they would have to make a local rule, otherwise they have no right to turf you off your course. Or make a citizens arrest? GUI will stick to the letter of what the government advise them, and encourage clubs to follow regulations.

Is it the same for DIY and Garden Centres too? Do you have to live within 5km of one to be allowed to go? Don’t know, genuine question..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'd imagine if you lived 5km within the clubhouse but some holes bring you outside of 5 km you'll be grand.
    I mean come on lads lets not throw common sense out with the bathwater.

a) Seriously?
    b) You're still within the spirit of the rule. You're not travelling farther than 5km.
    c) Who's going to police this anyway?

5km is just an arbitrary number someone picked out of their rear. Now if you lived 20km away you'd be certainly in breach of and outside the spirit of the rule. But lets say if you lived 7km away what difference is that going to make?

After all Leo said it himself on the late show when asked for hard numbers (on daily cases and such). He was dodging for other reasons I suspect, but his excuse for not giving any hard number was (I paraphrase) "I down want to say 200 because if it was 201 we wouldn't want to restrict ourselves like that". There you go.

As for over 70s. Don't forget they cannot and have not locked the over 70s in. They kinda brush that over a lot in the media and in communication, but everything regarding over 70s and cocooning etc is advisory. It is just a recommendation, it is not binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Yes I am in agreement - I live 7.2km from my local course. I’m playing on 18th if I get a slot, regardless.

But as evidenced here and in my Whatsapp golf group there are many who are pedantically sticking to the letter of the regulations. Have had members in Whatsapp group calculate distances as the crow flies to point out who of us would be in breach and who wouldn’t. Detecting a little smugness too from those living close to course.

Takes a bit of the good out of it - am out of work and things are bad enough, was looking forward to a return to bad golf.

I’m not sure now if I want clarification on it!

But would very much welcome permission to travel further and also for it to be made clear that it’s safe for over 70s too, not least to encourage good feeling between members. Club spirit has always been important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Yes I am in agreement - I live 7.2km from my local course. I’m playing on 18th if I get a slot, regardless.

But as evidenced here and in my Whatsapp golf group there are many who are pedantically sticking to the letter of the regulations. Have had members in Whatsapp group calculate distances as the crow flies to point out who of us would be in breach and who wouldn’t. Detecting a little smugness too from those living close to course.

Takes a bit of the good out of it - am out of work and things are bad enough, was looking forward to a return to bad golf.

I’m not sure now if I want clarification on it!

But would very much welcome permission to travel further and also for it to be made clear that it’s safe for over 70s too, not least to encourage good feeling between members. Club spirit has always been important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Really?

Lads are measuring holes to see which ones they can play?. I'd say they're a barrel of laughs

He meant measuring the distance his buddies live from the course in km , not the actual golf holes !!

This is all a storm in a tea cup as the finer details have yet to be determined. Friday was a high level announcement and quotes from department of health are premature and ill thought out. The country is moving towards listening to dept of economics as well which is needed to create the right reopening balance.

Currently you can travel beyond 2k to shop or travel to work with a letter. This will/should be updated to allow travel to golf club with gui card produced and or proof of booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

He meant measuring the distance his buddies live from the course in km , not the actual golf holes !!

Thanks, half asleep when I read it. Have edited my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'd imagine if you lived 5km within the clubhouse but some holes bring you outside of 5 km you'll be grand.
    I mean come on lads lets not throw common sense out with the bathwater.

a) Seriously?
    b) You're still within the spirit of the rule. You're not travelling farther than 5km.
    c) Who's going to police this anyway?

5km is just an arbitrary number someone picked out of their rear. Now if you lived 20km away you'd be certainly in breach of and outside the spirit of the rule. But lets say if you lived 7km away what difference is that going to make?

After all Leo said it himself on the late show when asked for hard numbers (on daily cases and such). He was dodging for other reasons I suspect, but his excuse for not giving any hard number was (I paraphrase) "I down want to say 200 because if it was 201 we wouldn't want to restrict ourselves like that". There you go.

As for over 70s. Don't forget they cannot and have not locked the over 70s in. They kinda brush that over a lot in the media and in communication, but everything regarding over 70s and cocooning etc is advisory. It is just a recommendation, it is not binding.
    It will be down to the GUI initially to issue recommendations to the clubs. They will have to stick rigidly to the government guidelines. (There would be a media storm if they didn’t). The clubs, however, could implement these guidelines with a bit of discretion regarding travelling distances and age thresholds etc.
    Regarding competitions, I’m sure each club will devise safe ways of having a competition. For instance they could make all bunkers GUR to avoid any problem with rakes etc. There will be no qualifying competitions, (for handicap purposes), anyway so as long as everyone plays under the same rules there should be no problem.

Yes I'm in agreement. There are two weeks to hammer out some finer details in a reasonable manner. Whatever way it goes I don't think it will go down to the letter of the law to a degree where someone couldn't play 'cos a couple of holes will be technically outside 5km of their home.

Edit: But I could see that if you're 10, 15, 20 kms away you might not play until June even distance memberships. Maybe they'll change it to something like your own parish/town whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm waiting to see if it will be firm on members only or if members can bring guests. I thought I read somewhere that it would be the case but I cannot find the article now.

If your playing partners are known to you surely it would be better than playing with unknowns.

• Advertisement

I saw this draft for a recommendation the GUI is putting together at the moment. I think a few of those questions get a mention. Now I can't find the link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement