Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

It is an average. And it has nothing to do with the amount of people one single person meets. So talking about it like that makes no sense.

By your assertion if the R0 was greater than 1 and that 1 person was in a room of 1000 people as you say they would infect all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

GreeBo wrote: »
    And that is different than 1 person infecting half the people they meet how?

Because its not the same.

If you infect half the people you meet it means exactly that. If you meet 10 people you will infect 5. If you meet 20 you would infect 10.

It depends on the number of people you meet.

The R0 value is not depending on the number of people one meets. How would anyone know anyway?

R0 is a statistical value. If on average every infected person - for the entirety of their sickness, regardless how many people they meet - infects one new person the value is 1.

Of course the fewer people you meet the fewer people you will infect. Thats why we have these restrictions, right?

So as a consequence of these restrictions we arrive at that value of 0.5 or 0.7 or whatever it is right now.

In theory that means if we had a total lockdown... Every single person on the planet stays at home for 2 weeks or whatever. In theory it means we'd have it wiped out within two weeks.

But we don't have total lockdown. Hospitals, essential workers etc.

I'm not a statistician but its probably something along the lines of this (only probably way more complicated):

reported cases - the cured - the dead = actively infected

And say if you could compile that number every single day.

Day 1 = 5000 actively infected
    Day 2 = 4500 actively infected

then R0 -> 4500 / 5000 == 0.9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yep, but its the same as saying that an infected person infects half the people they meet.

Otherwise he is saying that R0 of 0.5 means 1 infected person cant infect anyone in a room of 1000 people, which I dont believe is the case.

Whats the difference between 50:50 and 1 in 2 chance?!:confused:
    Well nothing. Bu the way you phrased it seemed to suggest that you'd infect one of every two people you meet when in fact what we're counting is infected people and not uninfected ones. We don't know (other than what the tracing reveals to tracers) how many people an infected person actually comes in contact with on average. You could come in contact with 50 people whilst carrying and only infect two. You wouldn't call that R0=.04.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yep, but its the same as saying that an infected person infects half the people they meet.

Otherwise he is saying that R0 of 0.5 means 1 infected person cant infect anyone in a room of 1000 people, which I dont believe is the case.

Whats the difference between 50:50 and 1 in 2 chance?!:confused:

No it isnt. It is the average amount of people that each infected person infects.

The number of people an infected person is in contact with is part of the function to calculate R

There is a coronavirus thread for this guys.

And the one thing people have ignored is that there is no evidence that the 10 minutes in close contact requirement doesnt hold

Golf is relatively safe. As is doing the weekly shopping. Just think if you ever suspect catching a flu off a person you only played golf with

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Because its not the same.

If you infect half the people you meet it means exactly that. If you meet 10 people you will infect 5. If you meet 20 you would infect 10.

It depends on the number of people you meet.

The total depends on the number you meet, the rate doesnt.

Half is half.

In any case, starting with R0 0.5 if we pick 20,000 as the current infected people in Ireland we are weeks away from being virus free.

What you seem to keep missing is that the infection rate without distancing measures is over 5.
    If we go ahead and remove restrictions then even if you had 1 single person infected on the whole island, they would be enough to kick start the whole thing again.

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    No it isnt. It is the average amount of people that each infected person infects.

The number of people an infected person is in contact with is part of the function to calculate R

And the one thing people have ignored is that there is no evidence that the 10 minutes in close contact requirement doesnt hold

Golf is relatively safe. As is doing the weekly shopping. Just think if you ever suspect catching a flu off a person you only played golf with
    The amount of people you meet and hence infect is directly related to social distancing measures!

Saying that we are down below an R0 of zero so we are grand to remove restrictions makes no sense.

And no I dont really keep track of who I think has given me the flu or any virus for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Maybe that conversation is best for another forum or private chat?

Back on topic... HowDidIDo are hoping to have their apps updated in the next few weeks so that competition entry and results can be done individually on each member's smartphone. I would say a majority of clubs in Ireland use their software so this should be a welcome addition.

The total depends on the number you meet, the rate doesnt.

Half is half.

In any case, starting with R0 0.5 if we pick 20,000 as the current infected people in Ireland we are weeks away from being virus free.

What you seem to keep missing is that the infection rate without distancing measures is over 5.
    If we go ahead and remove restrictions then even if you had 1 single person infected on the whole island, they would be enough to kick start the whole thing again.

Well yes although it'll be quite a few weeks.

And also yes we cannot remove restrictions. But we may be able to ease restrictions. There is large dataset out there that concludes that the lockdown hasnt actually improved R0 (in another country anyway).

gypsy79 wrote: »

True, sorry about that.

I guess it started off with

a) Going back to playing golf (with restrictions) is probably safe enough not to affect any numbers
    versus
    b) Going back to playing golf is killing people and will have us at the brink in no time

and then it spiralled a bit out of control. Will reign it in...

HighLine wrote: »
    Maybe that conversation is best for another forum or private chat?

Back on topic... HowDidIDo are hoping to have their apps updated in the next few weeks so that competition entry and results can be done individually on each member's smartphone. I would say a majority of clubs in Ireland use their software so this should be a welcome addition.
    A lot of clubs use HandicapMaster/MasterScoreboard. Don't know how many, but would be a significant number. Anyway, that software already has the ability to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

prawnsambo wrote: »
    A lot of clubs use HandicapMaster/MasterScoreboard. Don't know how many, but would be a significant number. Anyway, that software already has the ability to do this.

Have only ever used howdidido which is excellent, how does it compare to HandicapMaster/MasterScoreboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Lads, this was a decent thread for a while on how clubs were coping or ongoing to reopen after the restrictions were eased, any chance we could go back to that in instead of the, " I'm smarter than you" or " I know more about this than you" posts it's really getting boring.

Anyway, got a chance to call into my club today..... Place is looking sensational.... 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

The virus isn't going anywhere soon and even if we get the infection rate down to zero it could easily come back quick-smart.

So we're going to have to learn to live along side it. The same goes for other things in life. It'll mean social distancing and lots of hand hygiene is going to be with us for a long long time.

neckedit wrote: »
    Lads, this was a decent thread for a while on how clubs were coping or ongoing to reopen after the restrictions were eased, any chance we could go back to that in instead of the, " I'm smarter than you" or " I know more about this than you" posts it's really getting boring.

Anyway, got a chance to call into my club today..... Place is looking sensational.... ��

Until there is some sort of announcement from the government there is nothing to talk about.

There are no "precautions" that clubs are taking, they are closed to golfers, so what is there to discuss?

Stacksey wrote: »
    Have only ever used howdidido which is excellent, how does it compare to HandicapMaster/MasterScoreboard?
    I've only ever had exposure to the front end of HowDidIDo which I found to be very good. Have experience of using the back-end of HM/MS and it has a lot of features that a lot of clubs probably don't use. But to answer your question, I would have to say that the answer is 'not enough data'. :)

Until there is some sort of announcement from the government there is nothing to talk about.

There are no "precautions" that clubs are taking, they are closed to golfers, so what is there to discuss?

For a thread where there's nothing to discuss you're doing quite a bit of discussing yourself here ;)

For a thread where there's nothing to discuss you're doing quite a bit of discussing yourself here ;)

The key point being that we are not discussing the topic of the thread title...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Well some clubs are being proactive and not waiting to reopen and then wonder what to do, I know of two clubs Millicent and Blessington Lakes that have installed the ball retriever that attaches to the flag and you lift with your club(covered somewhere on here previously, My own club have ordered same and also looked into the GRIP RAKES that can be found on Ebay and also demo on you tube. If I can upload the link I will do but I'm not that teccy

This is the golf grip rake referred to above. Around the £7-8 mark on Ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

https://youtu.be/Xex2oLv8sM4. Hopefully that is the link ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This is the golf grip rake referred to above. Around the £7-8 mark on Ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

We sourced them at 6.5 and each member will have one. You can buy a more expensive model at 22.5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

GUI recommendations to government is meant to be 1 golfer per 10 mins, 2 for 12 and 3 for 14.

Casual golf and no guest.

They are asking all clubs to sign up to it.

So that’s 107 golfers in a full day from 7 to 3...

Timesheets will be jammers and subs going up!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Golf to renew on the 18th i'd say. Leo just said that some sports will be allowed from that date, so i assume Golf will be one of the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Looks like the 18th lads. Was hoping for sooner but I'll take that.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Looks like the 18th lads. Was hoping for sooner but I'll take that.

Yep, at least there is something to look forward to with a bit of certainty..I'll take that for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Ollieboy wrote: »
    GUI recommendations to government is meant to be 1 golfer per 10 mins, 2 for 12 and 3 for 14.

Casual golf and no guest.

They are asking all clubs to sign up to it.

So that’s 107 golfers in a full day from 7 to 3...

Timesheets will be jammers and subs going up!

Dont understand why theyre targeting competitions. R and A released a publication explaining how comps at club level can be run. Zero added risk, not in any way more dangerous than casual golf.
    Electronic scorecards, or just bring a piece of paper with you and that person marks for everyone, verbal agreement after the round. Am I missing something here?

People are going to have sweeps amongst themselves anyway if theyre told clubs cant hold comps so dont see the point myself. Hope it isnt true.
    But obviously excited at the prospect of getting back out on the 18th!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Was speaking to a club member who had contact with a golfer in Denmark. He said that the biggest problem they had when they opened was that some golfers wanted to play every day.
    They had to introduce a system limiting how many games each member could play in a week.
    The same will have to apply here unless clubs are going to play two separate nines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Was speaking to a club member who had contact with a golfer in Denmark. He said that the biggest problem they had when they opened was that some golfers wanted to play every day.
    They had to introduce a system limiting how many games each member could play in a week.
    The same will have to apply here unless clubs are going to play two separate nines.

I think thats fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Have the GUI not jumped the gun a bit with this?

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4659/golf-welcomes-government-announcement-on-the-reopening-of-golf-courses

I didnt hear Leo mention golf!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Have the GUI not jumped the gun a bit with this?

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4659/golf-welcomes-government-announcement-on-the-reopening-of-golf-courses

I didnt hear Leo mention golf!

It's explicitly mentioned in the document released by the government on the phased plan under the social and cultural section.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement