Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Have the GUI not jumped the gun a bit with this?

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4659/golf-welcomes-government-announcement-on-the-reopening-of-golf-courses

I didnt hear Leo mention golf!

Exactly, He didn’t. He mentioned non contact sports where social distancing can be observed. People assuming golf involved
    Probably should wait till 100% definite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Confirmed in GUI document that competitive golf will be prohibited. Really dont understand the need for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Plan is in the doc attached to this tweet from Gavan for anyone who hasn't read it. Page 12 for sport.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1256283494726217729?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

BoldReason wrote: »
    It's explicitly mentioned in the document released by the government on the phased plan under the social and cultural section.

Golf is? I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

BoldReason wrote: »
    Plan is in the doc attached to this tweet from Gavan for anyone who hasn't read it. Page 12 for sport.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1256283494726217729?s=19

I see it now. That's super news!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Golf is? I dont think so.

"Open outdoor public
    sports amenities (e.g.
    pitches, tennis
    courts, golf courses
    etc) where social
    distancing can be
    maintained"

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Was speaking to a club member who had contact with a golfer in Denmark. He said that the biggest problem they had when they opened was that some golfers wanted to play every day.
    They had to introduce a system limiting how many games each member could play in a week.
    The same will have to apply here unless clubs are going to play two separate nines.

Unfortunately that will be a problem but if you are a paid up 7 day member of a club, I'd say that is your entitlement..otherwise why pay a membership ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Are you not in trouble if you live outside the travel distance restriction though??

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Glebee wrote: »
    If you live too far from your club your screwed anyway with the distance restrictions i think.

This is the problem. There seems to be no linkage between the community health measures and cultural and sports measures, so even if your golf club is open but outside your radius of movement, you can't go there.

Pdoghue wrote: »
    This is the problem. There seems to be no linkage between the community health measures and cultural and sports measures, so even if your golf club is open but outside your radius of movement, you can't go there.

Im 8km from my club, so my the letter i would not be able to travel initially. Id have to see if part of the course cuts back into the 5km range... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

GreeBo wrote: »
    Until there is some sort of announcement from the government there is nothing to talk about.

There are no "precautions" that clubs are taking, they are closed to golfers, so what is there to discuss?

Then why say anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Are you not in trouble if you live outside the travel distance restriction though??
    Doesn't kick in until the 18th and by then the travel restriction will be extended enough to allow further travel. I think...

You are definitely Glass half empty rather than Glass half full...in everything on this golf forums you find the negatives..How on God's name can you not travel to your golf club even if you are outside 5 Kms as nearly everyone is doing it now..It's like saying you can't drive more than 100km an hour on the M50...Technically you can't but at some stage everyone drives faster with little chance of being caught..so break the uninforseable law and drive to your club if they open, I'm sure they will be glad to see you and enjoy your game

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    You are definitely Glass half empty rather than Glass half full...in everything on this golf forums you find the negatives..How on God's name can you not travel to your golf club even if you are outside 5 Kms as nearly everyone is doing it now..It's like saying you can't drive more than 100km an hour on the M50...Technically you can't but at some stage everyone drives faster with little chance of being caught..so break the uninforseable law and drive to your club if they open, I'm sure they will be glad to see you and enjoy your game

Someone is letting lock down get to them... as long as your not caught everything is alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I wonder will clubs with low membership like Carne be able to take green fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Nice that there's something to look forward to. Positive announcement today even if not much is happening immediately. But we have a plan.

But that GUI draft, mmmmh, why no competitions and why those long intervals/small groups? You don't encounter another group this often anyway and you could easily distance yourself even if playing through or something. I don't get that. And what's with competitions? What difference does it make how the counting is being done? Could it be the scorecards they're worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Someone is letting lock down get to them... as long as your not caught everything is alright...
    I had to drive about 70km round trip this evening (essential travel) and was stopped four times at Garda checkpoints.

Nice that there's something to look forward to. Positive announcement today even if not much is happening immediately. But we have a plan.

But that GUI draft, mmmmh, why no competitions and why those long intervals/small groups? You don't encounter another group this often anyway and you could easily distance yourself even if playing through or something. I don't get that. And what's with competitions? What difference does it make how the counting is being done? Could it be the scorecards they're worried about?

Totally agree, people will play sweeps between themselves anyway or somebody will run a book, can't understand the GUI on this, so I ask the questions 1. How do you maintain your handicap, 2 How do clubs make money. 3 Why pay GUI fee with your membership because basically they're doing nothing for you.4 Why be a member of a club if you can't play comps because you can say what you like but CLUBS WILL TAKE GREEN FEES !..Just a few of my thoughts on this

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The issue with competitions is the requirement for scorecards to be handled by a number of people, the player, the marker, cards touching each other in a box and then the comp sec handling 80 card cards to close the comp. The risk is significantly increased.
    I expect electronic cards apps will be required by all clubs to allow comps re start. I presume the gui are looking at ensuring clubs commence qualifying comps around the same time so all players have a similar period of qualifying golf.
    I know our club were in the process of getting the electronic card up and running the week before lockdown.

The bigger issue is the 5km travel for exercise restriction. I presume the majority of members are more than 5km from their club. I'm 16.7 km from my club. According to the plan its June 8th before the 20km travel limit will be introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ollieboy wrote: »
    GUI recommendations to government is meant to be 1 golfer per 10 mins, 2 for 12 and 3 for 14.

Casual golf and no guest.

They are asking all clubs to sign up to it.

So that’s 107 golfers in a full day from 7 to 3...

Timesheets will be jammers and subs going up!

How can you have different gaps and still have a timesheet?
    It will just be gaps of 14 mins.

I presume no competitions as they are essentially NQ depending on how clubs deal with the flag/hole.

• Advertisement

RGS wrote: »
    The issue with competitions is the requirement for scorecards to be handled by a number of people, the player, the marker, cards touching each other in a box and then the comp sec handling 80 card cards to close the comp. The risk is significantly increased.
    I expect electronic cards apps will be required by all clubs to allow comps re start. I presume the gui are looking at ensuring clubs commence qualifying comps around the same time so all players have a similar period of qualifying golf.
    I know our club were in the process of getting the electronic card up and running the week before lockdown.

The bigger issue is the 5km travel for exercise restriction. I presume the majority of members are more than 5km from their club. I'm 16.7 km from my club. According to the plan its June 8th before the 20km travel limit will be introduced.
    I'm within 5km of the clubhouse buy certain holes would put me more than 5km from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Whether you travel 5km or 50km there is no added risk to spreading the disease. The only difference is you are sitting in your car for 45km more than the 5k person. I don’t think that makes you a higher risk person. The bit about parking at club car park is the same for everyone regardless of how far you travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

How can you have different gaps and still have a timesheet?
    It will just be gaps of 14 mins.

I presume no competitions as they are essentially NQ depending on how clubs deal with the flag/hole.

Who said anything about different time gaps on a timesheet? It’s up to each club to decide what size group they want to put out.

But these time gaps are what I believe the GUI recommend to the government.

On comps and other issues, the GUI are making recommendations and so is the govt, each club is it’s own business and can make its own decision. GUI do not represent golf clubs, only take a membership fee and run inter club golf and handicaps.

morrga wrote: »
    Whether you travel 5km or 50km there is no added risk to spreading the disease. The only difference is you are sitting in your car for 45km more than the 5k person. I don’t think that makes you a higher risk person. The bit about parking at club car park is the same for everyone regardless of how far you travelled.

The further you travel, the wider the potential spread is.

Who said anything about different time gaps on a timesheet? It’s up to each club to decide what size group they want to put out.

On comps and other issues, the GUI are making recommendations and so is the govt, each club is it’s own business and can make its own decision. GUI do not represent golf clubs, only take a membership fee and run inter club golf and handicaps.

I'm saying you can't easily have different gaps, so you have to use the biggest gap for all.

For example, casual golf often varies from 1 to 3 players per group but you can't have a different gap between them or your timesheet is shagged.

qualifying comps isn't about business though, it's about the regulations around handicapping which the GUI manages.
    A club with up turned cups can't run qualifying comps for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

qualifying comps isn't about business though, it's about the regulations around handicapping which the GUI manages.
    A club with up turned cups can't run qualifying comps for example

You said they were going to use turn up cups?

We will be running comps after the 1st week or after the June bank holiday weekend and we’ve come up with solutions for all the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I wonder would golf club restaurant/bars be permitted to open under the following condition of phase 3 (29th June)?

"Open cafés and restaurants providing on premises food & beverages where they can comply with social distancing measures and strict cleaning in operation"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm within 5km of the clubhouse buy certain holes would put me more than 5km from my house.

What are you going to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This is the golf grip rake referred to above. Around the £7-8 mark on Ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

No no no...

You'll end up with sand and debris in the shaft, that makes a sound on the back swing.. I have that issue with my 6 iron... using these will mean any club used will eventually suffer from this...

But I guess we do what we have to get back on the lush green grass of our beloved courses. It's an awful pity we can't get straight back to competitions though. Surely clubs should be using this time to get ready and every club should be able to align themselves such that electronic scoring or other innovative solutions could be brought in so that competitions are possible. If certain clubs cannot do that, then competitions should be banned there only. Why punish all clubs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement