Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what CoronaVirus precautions are your club taking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

morrga wrote: »
    Whether you travel 5km or 50km there is no added risk to spreading the disease. The only difference is you are sitting in your car for 45km more than the 5k person. I don’t think that makes you a higher risk person. The bit about parking at club car park is the same for everyone regardless of how far you travelled.

Horsesh1t to justify your own actions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Glebee wrote: »
    Im 8km from my club, so my the letter i would not be able to travel initially. Id have to see if part of the course cuts back into the 5km range... :)

I think the 2 km range (soon to to be 5 km) was for exercise. It's stated that the range limit doesn't apply for permitted things like shopping. Hopefully when restrictions are lifted on other things like golf, the same will hold. If it's outside 5km, you're going to drive. Whether my course is 5km or 25km away, I will still only interact with the same number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Does anyone have any idea if driving ranges will be open in Phase 1.? (I don’t want to turn up on the first tee having not swung a club for 2 months.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea if driving ranges will be open in Phase 1.? (I don’t want to turn up on the first tee having not swung a club for 2 months.)

Yeah you'd imagine so. Either way will be putting a spare ball in the pocket on the first tee. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

newport2 wrote: »
    I think the 2 km range (soon to to be 5 km) was for exercise. It's stated that the range limit doesn't apply for permitted things like shopping. Hopefully when restrictions are lifted on other things like golf, the same will hold. If it's outside 5km, you're going to drive. Whether my course is 5km or 25km away, I will still only interact with the same number of people.

How are you not getting this?
    The people you interact with will be from further away...that's how it spreads.

Let's dumb it right down.
    If no one travelled outside of China we wouldn't have this global pandemic.
    If you are infected and travel then the virus travels with you.

• Advertisement

What are you going to do?

Wait until that restriction is lifted.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    You said they were going to use turn up cups?

We will be running comps after the 1st week or after the June bank holiday weekend and we’ve come up with solutions for all the issues.

Who said they are all going to buy new devices?
    That's my point, each club is doing something different.
    Not sure why you think your club is better than GUI recommendations, but I hope that they turf you out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    You can travel 6Km for exercise/allowed sports. So if you go for a walk, having travelled 5Km to where you park, how far you walk is not included. Gardai are not going to be policing your golf course with a map and a rangefinder. ;)

No no no...

You'll end up with sand and debris in the shaft, that makes a sound on the back swing.. I have that issue with my 6 iron... using these will mean any club used will eventually suffer from this...

But I guess we do what we have to get back on the lush green grass of our beloved courses. It's an awful pity we can't get straight back to competitions though. Surely clubs should be using this time to get ready and every club should be able to align themselves such that electronic scoring or other innovative solutions could be brought in so that competitions are possible. If certain clubs cannot do that, then competitions should be banned there only. Why punish all clubs?
    Well if you have an old shaft lying about (I have loads), just slip it in your bag and away you go. A shaft without a head doesn't count as an extra club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You can travel 6Km for exercise/allowed sports. So if you go for a walk, having travelled 5Km to where you park, how far you walk is not included. Gardai are not going to be policing your golf course with a map and a rangefinder. ;)

Was thinking the same. Was kind of a trick question. Not very nice of me really.

But if he means that I find it quite mad but I have to respect it at the same time. Fair play Greebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm within 5km of the clubhouse buy certain holes would put me more than 5km from my house.
    What are you going to do?

He’ll probably just lay up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Yeah you'd imagine so. Either way will be putting a spare ball in the pocket on the first tee. :D

Haha the best suggestion I've heard on here for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

No need to dumb it down. Any easing of restrictions is going to increase risk somewhat.

The range has already increased to 5km for exercise. There is no point in allowing golf courses to open when the vast majority of members can't get to them (I see you're within 5km, so I'm alright Jack). So they'll have to ease that too. And while the range you travel is a factor, the amount of people you will directly interact with is one also. My point was though the range would change - fair enough - the other parameter wouldn't. Again, any easing of restrictions is going to introduce risk of spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Isn't the key point here that no transmission will take place within the car-which will only contain one person or more than one from the same family ?
    If any viral transmission is destined to take place -it will occur during behaviour outside the car -so the distance travelled is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Fair play, I admire an upstanding honest citizen who upholds the letter of the law who never drives too fast, jaywalks, drinks after hours, fiddles their tax (just a little) and expects everyone to do the same..on the other hand if you are so worried you could play holes within your range and scratch the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

boardise wrote: »
    Isn't the key point here that no transmission will take place within the car-which will only contain one person or more than one from the same family ?
    If any viral transmission is destined to take place -it will occur during behaviour outside the car -so the distance travelled is irrelevant.
    We'll see the distance traveled would have an impact on the spread.
    Example:
    3 players travel to play in Waterville with one coming from Tralee, one from Killarney and one from Kenmare. They all stop for coffee on way home. One stops in Caherciveen, one in Sneem and one in Waterville. If they were all asymptomatic they have increased the spread hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Carazy wrote: »
    We'll see the distance traveled would have an impact on the spread.
    Example:
    3 players travel to play in Waterville with one coming from Tralee, one from Killarney and one from Kenmare. They all stop for coffee on way home. One stops in Caherciveen, one in Sneem and one in Waterville. If they were all asymptomatic they have increased the spread hugely

What you say is correct but I was working on the assumption that travellers would know not to leave the car in transit to/from the course.
    I think common sense would suggest to people that this assumption should be the default position.
    I fully understood the distance restrictions imposed first day because if people were allowed to drive long distances -it would inevitably happen that they would relax ,lose concentration , get hungry/thirsty , need toilet breaks , remember to do the lotto etc. and risks would multiply.

boardise wrote: »
    What you say is correct but I was working on the assumption that travellers would know not to leave the car in transit to/from the course.
    I think common sense would suggest to people that this assumption should be the default position.
    I fully understood the distance restrictions imposed first day because if people were allowed to drive long distances -it would inevitably happen that they would relax ,lose concentration , get hungry/thirsty , need toilet breaks , remember to do the lotto etc. and risks would multiply.
    You'd like to think that common sense would prevail. However the lessons learned from the Easter weekend stupidity would mitigate against that. It was reported that in the week following that Easter weekend, the number of cases in Wexford almost doubled. 93% increase to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

It's going to be interesting to see what recommendations the GUI put in place for resumption.

I think think two big issues will be travelling to play and over 70s playing.

I think that for contact tracing all members will have to be on the timesheet in order to play.Perhaps it would be possible for golfers to print off the timesheet as proof of where they are going if they are stopped outside the 5 km radius on the way to their game.

As regards over 70s it appeared clear on the Late Late last night that the relaxation in the rules was to allow over 70s to take exercise on their own.Therefore I cannot see over 70s being allowed to play immediately on resumption.It could be that they will not be able to play until a much later phase.

This is not a judgement on the rights/wrongs of the advisory on the over 70s but what I think is likely to happen in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

that's an interesting problem but i imagine there will be total chaos if there are separate rules for over and under 70.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

tropics001 wrote: »
    that's an interesting problem but i imagine there will be total chaos if there are separate rules for over and under 70.

The GUI will issue further guidelines but there is no way the club's will take responsibility for policing either over 70s or any travelling restrictions. It will be up to everybody individually to adhere to government restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

You'd like to think that common sense would prevail. However the lessons learned from the Easter weekend stupidity would mitigate against that. It was reported that in the week following that Easter weekend, the number of cases in Wexford almost doubled. 93% increase to be exact.

Nursing Homes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It's going to be interesting to see what recommendations the GUI put in place for resumption.

I think think two big issues will be travelling to play and over 70s playing.

I think that for contact tracing all members will have to be on the timesheet in order to play.Perhaps it would be possible for golfers to print off the timesheet as proof of where they are going if they are stopped outside the 5 km radius on the way to their game.

As regards over 70s it appeared clear on the Late Late last night that the relaxation in the rules was to allow over 70s to take exercise on their own.Therefore I cannot see over 70s being allowed to play immediately on resumption.It could be that they will not be able to play until a much later phase.

This is not a judgement on the rights/wrongs of the advisory on the over 70s but what I think is likely to happen in reality.

The over 70s members are in something of a limbo. In our club they make up 30% of the membership. I’m wondering what attitude the clubs will take. Will they feel obliged to ban them from the course or just turn a blind eye if some of them turn up to play.?
    If they ban them from playing, those members will quite justifiably be looking for a partial or full refund of their annual sub. We have a large number of over 70s at our club and it could be catastrophic for the viability of the club.

Down9194 wrote: »
    Nursing Homes ?
    It was reported that it was three times the national average at the time. I doubt Wexford has three times the national average of care homes. And subsequent numbers have been way down since.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The over 70s members are in something of a limbo. In our club they make up 30% of the membership. I’m wondering what attitude the clubs will take. Will they feel obliged to ban them from the course or just turn a blind eye if some of them turn up to play.?
    If they ban them from playing, those members will quite justifiably be looking for a partial or full refund of their annual sub. We have a large number of over 70s at our club and it could be catastrophic for the viability of the club.

I'm more looking at it from the angle that if over 70s are restricted to solitary exercise and then a newspaper publishes a picture of 3 80 year olds teeing off then other non golfing over 70s will justifiably say that they are being treated unfairly.
    I think the recommendation will have to come from the GUI and be enforced by each club possibility by preventing over 70s from putting their name on the time sheet.
    As for repayment of sub I'd have thought no club would be in a position to repay anything this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was speaking to a club member who had contact with a golfer in Denmark. He said that the biggest problem they had when they opened was that some golfers wanted to play every day.
    They had to introduce a system limiting how many games each member could play in a week.
    The same will have to apply here unless clubs are going to play two separate nines.

This will be a big problem (good complaint) - so many people will still be out of work, no work, or just bored to death.

But prior to all this there was no walk on golf - so you will have to book every round. Was hard to get on time sheet in my place (but at least longer days no)

On the point there is nothing to discuss as clubs are closed. I don't agree - there is so much to be considered between now and 18 th.

Clubhouse, Restaurant ,Bar, pro shop ? Will we see modifications like in all retail outlets.

Who you should play with ? age group , mixing , is it ok if someone wants to only play alone ?

Education of people on social distancing , as crazy as that sounds , some of us are well trained on it - others clearly are not. What do you do if someone is not following rules ?

I'd prefer to play a bit on my own for a while - but I don't think that will be permitted.

Must look up government guidelines - when can a golf range open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Reports and pictures of lads playing Charlesland on Twitter.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Reports and pictures of lads playing Charlesland on Twitter.
    There's also a lot of fake stuff going around, so unless photos can be properly authenticated, I'd be careful about spreading it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

With no competitions allowed and clubs having little income would it be an idea that members pay keep paying comp fee for each round played to generate income and have a draw for say €50 each day. I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

There's also a lot of fake stuff going around, so unless photos can be properly authenticated, I'd be careful about spreading it around.

Totally true, git the pic this morning from a pal who live on site pretty much. They were reported to the local Garda...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement