Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Any Airbnb providers on here getting cancellations?

I'm a tour guide and a good few cancellations coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

An Irish citizen is confirmed to be one of eight new cases in Vietnam.

They were all on a flight from London..important context

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

What type of newspaper is the Sunday business post? I see they made some wild claims.

Sounds like a tabloid rag??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Are we expecting a HSE update today?

I am sure they will give us an update on the situation as it was 48 hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Thursday 19th March is the next time the Dáil will meet.

Ah here for **** sake.

Pull yourselves together and come to a cross party consensus to deal with it immediately ffs.

Good man Jim Ó Callaghan (FF) who is suggesting screw government formation for now on TWIP. He also wants a flight ban. Increasingly looks like Leo and the crew have gone solo on this Paddy's day nonsense.

He seems to have a better handle on this than his own party leader.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The guy in Cork, what if he picked it up in the hospital?

Thanks for this. I haven't needed to use inhalers for over half a decade and I haven't had an asthma attack in a very, very long time (like maybe over a decade) so it sounds like I am probably in the clear. That is a bit of a relief!

Yeah. May be handy to have a salbutuamol inhaler on hand just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Bigus wrote: »
    OK it’s Sunday 8th March and at this time Northern Italy has just gone into lockdown.
    As of now in Ireland it’s business and travel is as normal, and all (bar 1 in cork )St.Patricks day events are going ahead.

It’s uncommon knowledge that Lack of PANIC causes a lot of deaths in certain life threatening situations, this is the reverse of what we are led to believe in films ,soap operas and general folklore.

Panic is a very useful inherent instinct in humans and is in Us for very good reason, it saves lives in certain circumstances, and often the worst outcome of panicking is embarrassment and perhaps feelings of stupidity afterwards if the panicking was unnecessary.

Worldwide all the experts are agreed that because of the unknowns with this new Virus , that the longer any country can delay its outbreak the better for all. This is the only known,known , with certainty . So let’s have a little bit of organized panic and slow this thing down in Ireland while WE can.

We now need a Ballsy Taoiseach to announce immediate cancellation of St.patricks day events in Ireland , a complete shutdown of all schools universities and non essential publics offices from tomorrow Monday the 9 th March . This will stop schools being super spreaders. (As successfully done in Taiwan)As many as possible public services should be continued online or at distance with new strict measures rolled out in public offices. Large gatherings should be discouraged aswell as air travel (not banned).These shutdowns could be for a week , 2 weeks , 3 weeks or months depending on outcomes elsewhere and expert advice here .

The resultant turmoil will get people to start taking this thing seriously and some of the resultant panic may save a lot of lives and future economic loss.

A quote about spread from below,

“Remember that we don’t have to drive the infection rate down to zero to make a big difference. The point is succinctly made in a tweet from Merryn Somerset Webb, Editor-in-Chief of MoneyWeek:

“36 cases. 30% growth a day. 1m cases in 40 days. Cut that to 15% and its only 8,385. Worth doing a lot of hand washing.”

If fear is what it takes, then so be it.”

https://unherd.com/thepost/panicking-about-coronavirus-will-save-lives/

When you say panic is a very useful inherent instinct in humans.

Are you not encouraging people to panic and in advocating a panic mindset you would create some serious consequences.

Like people going to to Dunnes/Aldi/Lidl etc. and buying up all the essentials and hoarding them thus leaving none for others that are too late to buy them.

How does this help the situation at all?

I know the situation is serious and can escalate fairly quickly but we need to take a measured and calm approach panicking will not help the situation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Yeah. May be handy to have a salbutuamol inhaler on hand just in case.

I'll heed that advice and see if I can get a prescription from my GP for one just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

wakka12 wrote: »
    They were all on a flight from London

Any link to the details of flight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, but usually they bear some relationship to the article. So in an article about an A380 engine fire, I wouldn't normally expect a photo of two kittens asleep.

cnocbui wrote: »
    They use the photo as an adjunct to the article twice, so the are making the suggestion by association.

Regardless of what you might think.

The full description of the image is
    Mianxian: In this Thursday, March 4, 2020, photo released by Xinhua News Agency, workers wear mask as they labor at a machinery and equipment manufacturing company company in Mianxian County, northwestern Chinas Shaanxi province. Factories in China that make the worlds smartphones, toys and other consumer goods are trying to protect their employees from a virus outbreak as they resume production. Manufacturers are buying masks by the thousands and jugs of disinfectant. The ruling Communist Party has told local officials to help reopen factories that were idled by the most intensive anti-disease controls ever imposed. AP/PTI(AP05-03-2020_000022B)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Zenify wrote: »
    I'm a tour guide and a good few cancellations coming through.

I was walking Dublin city centre yesterday morning for a few hours and there was a distinct lack of tourist groups around the tourist areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The more people infected at the same time, the less people able to help our sick and most vulnerable. I don’t imagine the following are the only high risk people feeling sacrificed by our current inaction.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0308/1120908-coronavirus-elderly/

I'm scared. I am nervous of it. I really am."

Jennie O’Connell lives in Crumlin with her husband Sean. Both of them are blind, and both have respiratory illnesses.

The threat of Coronavirus has added to their worries.

"I have been listening to the news and I’m concerned because I have emphysema and asthma, so I have underlying problems, and it does frighten me that I might get it," says Jennie.

Sean is a diabetic, and suffers sleep apnea which is linked to a respiratory illness.

"I feel the State could have done more. I feel the whole thing is about money. Well surely people should come before money."
    He told RTɒs This Week programme: "Us people with underlying conditions are the most vulnerable."

"I did think that they should have done more when it was in China. I felt they should have stopped unnecessary travel, and if they could have kept it out of the country we could have missed it."

"The problem we have now is that it is in the country and we don’t know who is going to have it."

Sean and Jennie have a number of carers who help to look after them in their home. They are also regularly visited by representatives from the charity ALONE.

"They’re lovely people, and they call to a lot of elderly people and people with disabilities and they do home care for them."

"The problem is that it could be spread all over the place, and we could get it that way" says Sean.

"Children will be grand, but it's the likes of people with health conditions who are going to be hit the hardest. I feel the State could have done more. I feel the whole thing is about money. Well surely people should come before money."

The spread of the virus also poses a dilemma for Sean when he is out and about. As a blind person, he is often offered help.

"People are very good with blind people, but the first thing they do when they take you across the road is catch your hand, and I can’t say to someone ’don’t catch my hand, you could give me the virus’, when they’re trying to help me."

The couple is now considering restricting visitors to their home.

"Three carers come in every day and different people drop in and out. My daughter would come up from Wicklow and stay over at the weekend."

"We’ll have to sit down and have a discussion and see where we’re at," says Jennie.

Sean is concerned about social isolation if visitors stopped calling to their home.

"The fact is that it’s in the country, it’s very hard to curtail it."

"I like being out and about, and as a country person I was out and about all my life."

"I’d go mad if I had to hide in the house for two weeks or longer, and I’d be very reluctant to restrict people. But obviously if they’re in contact with somebody that has it I’d have to ask them not to call for our safety."

"Because if we got it, it could take us out," he says.

An Irish citizen is confirmed to be one of eight new cases in Vietnam.

Do you suppose it's the guy who reportedly escaped quarantine in India?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

There have been changes/plans put in place. For example, All AL for health-care staff in my hospital may be cancelled if there was a significant outbreak amongst workers.

I mean government strategy and opposed to hospital system. Forcing people to come to work isn't the kind of stuff I'm after, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What type of newspaper is the Sunday business post? I see they made some wild claims.

Sounds like a tabloid rag??

Claims are from Irish health authority modelling figures.
    It's a sombre read.

Modelling they have seen suggests a 30% infection rate best case, while 50% worst case.

Inside the paper one of the headlines is '... Over 80s most likely to perish'.

Not sure choice of words suitable for a paper of it's standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I was walking Dublin city centre yesterday morning for a few hours and there was a distinct lack of tourist groups around the tourist areas.

It’s the week before paddy’s weekend, they’ll all be here next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Newstalk just had an interview with a newspaper's health correspondent.

The authorities are expecting a worst-case scenario of 40% of the population (1.9 million people) contracting the virus.

If that occurred, our health system would be overrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'll heed that advice and see if I can get a prescription from my GP for one just in case.

Call ahead. There is no reason to visit the GP practice for a consult and the rx can be posted. Surgeries are having a hard time at the moment :)

• Advertisement

When you say panic is a very useful inherent instinct in humans.

Are you not encouraging people to panic and in advocating a panic mindset you would create some serious consequences.

Like people going to to Dunnes/Aldi/Lidl etc. and buying up all the essentials and hoarding them thus leaving none for others that are too late to buy them.

How does this help the situation at all?

I know the situation is serious and can escalate fairly quickly but we need to take a measured and calm approach panicking will not help the situation at all.

I think the point might be if ‘panic’ encouraged everyone to modify their behaviour and practice the recommended hygiene there might be a positive outcome here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

This is not dramatic at all, and with your qualifications and experience it sounds like you have a far wider scope for knowing what constitutes a proportionate reaction in this case. I think you are being entirely pragmatic and, frankly, responsible, as one should be.

So you think people with asthma should be okay? I am reasonably fit and in my mid-twenties and used to have asthma but I think I grew out of it in my early twenties, it certainly hasn't been an issue for me in recent memory. I'm struggling to determine if I belong in an "at-risk" category or not.

I had the flu before Christmas and I was given Tamiflu as I am in an “at risk” category (my mother also got the flu but wasn’t given it as she isn’t in an “at risk” category) and I recovered well and had no major respiratory issues. I did develop a secondary bacterial infection that required an antibiotic (sputum tested, not just antibiotics on a whim) but other than that, I was grand. I would be hopeful to see no serious side effects in myself were I to contract covid19.

It’s the people I am in contact with that I worry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Claims are from Irish health authority modelling figures.
    It's a sombre read.

Modelling they have seen suggests a 30% infection rate best case, while 50% worst case.

Inside the paper one of the headlines is '... Over 80s most likely to perish'.

Not sure choice of words suitable for a paper of it's standard.

Yes but where did they get the 3 week thing from.

I dont know why they announced a 'worst case scenario' and not just a most likely scenario, I woke up this morning and my parents were saying HSE had said 1.9 million will get the virus and Im sure lots of other people took it that way

Graham wrote: »
    Regardless of what you might think.

The full description of the image is

I fully understand the image isn't related to the equipment in question and am not trying to assert that is, but thanks for belaboring the point.

Miike wrote: »
    Call ahead. There is no reason to visit the GP practice for a consult and the rx can be posted. Surgeries are having a hard time at the moment :)

Will do, thanks for the advice everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

The authorities are expecting a worst-case scenario of 40% of the population (1.9 million people) contracting the virus.

Didn't they tell us we were a low risk? What's to say it won't be 70% of the population?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Let's be blunt - We'd be overrun at 5%.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

sullivlo wrote: »
    I am meant to be doing a charity cycle in April, however I am scared to do it because of the close contact with other cyclists and poor hygiene facilities (nowhere to catch it bin it kill it when cycling in a group of 100 cyclists at 25kph).

Another thing to be conscious of with this is that there is a decent chance that for fit people too much exertion from exercising in the early or mild stages of the illness may be a factor that increases the severity. I normally exercise all the time but have decided to be alert to how I'm feeling and make careful decisions around exercising. Instead of pushing my fitness, endurance and strength levels I've decided that for now, I'm going to focus on posture, flexibility and muscle health. So no high intensity if I'm feeling at all unwell and instead focus on pilates, yoga, very short gentle callisthenics routines and extra walks in fresh air. It's actually really hard as my mental health definitely feels a bit more susceptible to stress when I'm not having my usual outlet but I will adapt and find a way to make this work.

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    I had the flu before Christmas and I was given Tamiflu as I am in an “at risk” category (my mother also got the flu but wasn’t given it as she isn’t in an “at risk” category) and I recovered well and had no major respiratory issues. I did develop a secondary bacterial infection that required an antibiotic (sputum tested, not just antibiotics on a whim) but other than that, I was grand. I would be hopeful to see no serious side effects in myself were I to contract covid19.

It’s the people I am in contact with that I worry for.

Cool, yeah I am familiar with what you are describing. Thanks for the reassurance. I too am worried for those more vulnerable; it is all our civil duty to do our best to try and stop the spread of this before it results in unnecessary deaths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement