Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

What about France, Germany, UK, USA?

Stop flights going there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

statesaver wrote: »
    Spain has now confirmed 589 cases of the coronavirus - a rise of 159 from Saturday - along with 13 deaths.

That's a huge increase in a week

Virus has been circulating in Spain for a while, as the first victim died on 13 February, it was thought to be pneumonia and only diagnosed last week.
    However there are still no measures taken there, for example in Valencia the Las Fallas is stil going ahead
    https://www.antena3.com/noticias/sociedad/fallas-siguen-adelante-pese-sombra-coronavirus_202003075e639b6624692800019c38f9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Acosta wrote: »
    Reddit and Twitter. Hopefully they don't. I fear the way the HSE are handling this entire thing there might be an explosion of it in a week or two as too many are not taking precautions now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

There can only be an explosion of cases if we are testing a lot more people. How many people can we test in a day?

If there was 300 suspected cases daily and we could only test 100 cases a day, that’s not really going to tell the full story.

If we are not testing every person in the country daily (which is not feasible but to make a point) then we don’t know how many are infected and infecting on any given day. It’s not factual to say “there are only 18 people infected in Ireland”, it’s only factual to say “there are only 18 confirmed cases in Ireland”. That’s why looking at other European countries who have had similar rises and are ahead of us makes more sense. If we can see Into the future and predict reasonably that we will be like another country this time next week or in two weeks, why not take action now? Close all schools, all non essential public service staff should work from home where possible, encourage all companies to have remote work with employees where possible (I know one person who was considering this since last week with his staff).

This is really annoying, there are things we can do now to at least ensure it slows down but for some reason because Europe’s countries are walking into crisis we are doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

What about France, Germany, UK, USA?

Oh that's the latest excuse rather then them all getting trains...

Italy first and if the other countries get as bad then those flights also.

Austria and Slovakia already have why we can't i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have to agree, and I'm someone who is 'higher risk'. It's starting to seem like the widespread panic is doing more damage than the virus itself. Some of the media reporting on this has been downright hysterical and irresponsible.

I've seen reports of people stocking up on toilet paper, so now everyone who watches that is going to think 'oh, I need to make sure I have enough toilet paper in case it all gets stockpiled!' and that's how you create a problem where there wasn't one.

It's a virus, like any virus. Good hygiene and handwashing is important, avoiding crowds is wise, and avoiding travel is wise. Everything else is pure media hysteria, completely pointless, and creating enormous panic and anxiety, making people even more susceptible to getting ill.[/QUOTE]

I hear you but do not agree with your last sentence or your earlier views . It could be seen as an insult to our intelligence although I am sure that is not your intention . We are all and each intelligent enough to discriminate between junk, hype and reality and not panic. It all rolls off us like water off a duck's back. Like you I am in the vulnerable class and old but I know what is real and what is fake as do most of us here.

So please, rest your mind on that? Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

iguana wrote: »
    I see a lot of people in high infection areas wearing masks, while their long hair flows free. Surely if you got an infected person's cough/sneeze droplets on your hair, that's a really good way to carry the virus around for at least a few hours with a very decent chance of infecting yourself.

Another thing, scarves are no good. If someone sneezes and contaminates the outside of the scarf, you then go fixing your scarf around your face. So no scarves are allowed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Cody montana

All our cases apart from the one unaccounted one came from people visiting Italy

Yes, but these countries seem to be following Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

What's on the radio right now, again in the name of reassuring us is quite disturbing.

We have 250 intensive care beds in our country. Around a quarter of what's normal in Europe.
    That's not 250 for the virus but everyone who has a heart attack, car crash etc and the virus.

We will potentially just not put people over 75 into intensive care and concentrate on treating "productive members of society" according to adr from CUH. That'll be a decision to let people die of this. 75 is not old. It's the age of lots of our relatively vital parents.

Why in earth when we are looking down the barrel of that scenario are we offering reassurance and not taking the most drastic measures to stop the spread?

This is the issue I have with there being no restrictions. People dismiss it as hype but the fact is our health system can’t cope as it it never mind with extra cases on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

joe40 wrote: »
    I really do sympathise with your worry about elderly relatives. I feel the same. I just find it hard to believe someone would distrust media, HSE and WHO but instead look for advice from random strangers on an internet forum.
    And even then only from people you agree with

The HSE just over a week ago were saying it was very unlikely. we would get a case here.

I never said I trusted random strangers that is why I said I am trying to get a clearer picture.

If I had got the answers I was looking for I would not still be here in this thread.

The only people I agree with are the people who are saying we do not fully understand this whole situation yet.

What is the incubation period?
    Does the virus leave lasting damage to the lungs.
    Can old people in the at risk group get over this?
    What is the true death rate?
    What percentage of the population will get infected?
    How long will this whole mess take to run its course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

939 total cases in Germany now.
    Note that Germany is not publishing the number on those in intensive care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

OK it’s Sunday 8th March and at this time Northern Italy has just gone into lockdown.
    As of now in Ireland it’s business and travel is as normal, and all (bar 1 in cork )St.Patricks day events are going ahead.

It’s uncommon knowledge that Lack of PANIC causes a lot of deaths in certain life threatening situations, this is the reverse of what we are led to believe in films ,soap operas and general folklore.

Panic is a very useful inherent instinct in humans and is in Us for very good reason, it saves lives in certain circumstances, and often the worst outcome of panicking is embarrassment and perhaps feelings of stupidity afterwards if the panicking was unnecessary.

Worldwide all the experts are agreed that because of the unknowns with this new Virus , that the longer any country can delay its outbreak the better for all. This is the only known,known , with certainty . So let’s have a little bit of organized panic and slow this thing down in Ireland while WE can.

We now need a Ballsy Taoiseach to announce immediate cancellation of St.patricks day events in Ireland , a complete shutdown of all schools universities and non essential publics offices from tomorrow Monday the 9 th March . This will stop schools being super spreaders. (As successfully done in Taiwan)As many as possible public services should be continued online or at distance with new strict measures rolled out in public offices. Large gatherings should be discouraged aswell as air travel (not banned).These shutdowns could be for a week , 2 weeks , 3 weeks or months depending on outcomes elsewhere and expert advice here .

The resultant turmoil will get people to start taking this thing seriously and some of the resultant panic may save a lot of lives and future economic loss.

A quote about spread from below,

“Remember that we don’t have to drive the infection rate down to zero to make a big difference. The point is succinctly made in a tweet from Merryn Somerset Webb, Editor-in-Chief of MoneyWeek:

“36 cases. 30% growth a day. 1m cases in 40 days. Cut that to 15% and its only 8,385. Worth doing a lot of hand washing.”

If fear is what it takes, then so be it.”

https://unherd.com/thepost/panicking-about-coronavirus-will-save-lives/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The HSE just over a week ago were saying it was very unlikely. we would get a case here.

I never said I trusted random strangers that is why I said I am trying to get a clearer picture.

If I had got the answers I was looking for I would not still be here in this thread.

The only people I agree with are the people who are saying we do not fully understand this whole situation yet.

What is the incubation period?
    Does the virus leave lasting damage to the lungs.
    Can old people in the at risk group get over this?
    What is the true death rate?
    What percentage of the population will get infected?
    How long will this whole mess take to run its course?

No they weren't. See here for ex: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/4a1f06-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-sunday-23-f/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

irishgeo wrote: »
    Any ward can be turned into an icu ward. It's nothing special. Its extra equipment and 24/7 nursing staff on duty. Stop **** stirring. Most people aren't going to need a icu bed.

567 in Italy currently require ICU. Are you confident about possibly doubling our number of ICU beds if it came to us having similar numbers? Since it's so straightforward apparently

I've visited someone in a new ICU Ward not too long ago; they're fantastic, some great equipment in them for everything. I really doubt the HSE could quickly setup new ones like those

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Arrival wrote: »
    567 in Italy currently require ICU. Are you confident about possibly doubling our number of ICU beds if it came to us having similar numbers? Since it's so straightforward apparently

What is the population of Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Considering we have hundreds of people on trolleys I'm sure they will have no problems.

Suggesting anything else is **** stirring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Ok I am not 100% of the timeline but the HSE did come out with this rubbish not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

cnocbui wrote: »
    Covid-19 test kits being sent to the Diamond Princess.

I'm not sure what that image shows but sending a bunch of swabs to the Diamond Princess isn't the same as building a lab on the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

mloc123 wrote: »
    What is the population of Italy?

Google it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I have heard that the one case unaccounted for apparently had travelled recently, just not from Italy.

Anyway I hope we see a bit more honesty in the reporting come Monday because there has undoubtedly been some developments since Friday.

Remember, what you read in the media here is the sanitised rubber stamped press release from the powers that be.

Truth is we will just have to ride this out and hope for the best, it cannot be contained. China especially does not take the measures they did lightly.

I'm amazed at people going on about missing holidays or the Patrick's Day celebrations, they will eventually realise that this has much wider repercussions.

This is not something that will last just a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Google it

I know the answer...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

cnocbui wrote: »
    COVID-19-test-kits-airlifted-to-cruise-ship-off-California-coast.jpg?w=892&ssl=1

Covid-19 test kits being sent to the Diamond Princess.

alternatively
    Workers wear mask as they labor at a machinery and equipment manufacturing company company in Mianxian County, northwestern China's Shaanxi province.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Wasn't it the second press conference when one them said they weren't expecting any further cases?

Google it

I'll give you a clue. It's higher than 4.75 million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Bigus wrote: »
    OK it’s Sunday 8th March and at this time Northern Italy has just gone into lockdown.
    As of now in Ireland it’s business and travel is as normal, and all (bar 1 in cork )St.Patricks day events are going ahead.

It’s uncommon knowledge that Lack of PANIC causes a lot of deaths in certain life threatening situations, this is the reverse of what we are led to believe in films ,soap operas and general folklore.

Panic is a very useful inherent instinct in humans and is in Us for very good reason, it saves lives in certain circumstances, and often the worst outcome of panicking is embarrassment and perhaps feelings of stupidity afterwards if the panicking was unnecessary.

Worldwide all the experts are agreed that because of the unknowns with this new Virus , that the longer any country can delay its outbreak the better for all. This is the only known,known , with certainty . So let’s have a little bit of organized panic and slow this thing down in Ireland while WE can.

We now need a Ballsy Taoiseach to announce immediate cancellation of St.patricks day events in Ireland , a complete shutdown of all schools universities and non essential publics offices from tomorrow Monday the 9 th March . This will stop schools being super spreaders. (As successfully done in Taiwan)As many as possible public services should be continued online or at distance with new strict measures rolled out in public offices. Large gatherings should be discouraged aswell as air travel (not banned).These shutdowns could be for a week , 2 weeks , 3 weeks or months depending on outcomes elsewhere and expert advice here .

The resultant turmoil will get people to start taking this thing seriously and some of the resultant panic may save a lot of lives and future economic loss.

A quote about spread from below,

“Remember that we don’t have to drive the infection rate down to zero to make a big difference. The point is succinctly made in a tweet from Merryn Somerset Webb, Editor-in-Chief of MoneyWeek:

“36 cases. 30% growth a day. 1m cases in 40 days. Cut that to 15% and its only 8,385. Worth doing a lot of hand washing.”

If fear is what it takes, then so be it.”

https://unherd.com/thepost/panicking-about-coronavirus-will-save-lives/

While that should happen and happen now realistically what are the chances that it will until it`s too late to make any real difference? Slim to none IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I've visited someone in a new ICU Ward not too long ago; they're fantastic, some great equipment in them for everything. I really doubt the HSE could quickly setup new ones like those

Option 1 - Take action to slow spread and help current resources deal with the coming crisis.

Option 2 - Make zero adjustments to stop the spread allow for the acquiring of extra rooms and/or machines. Increased chance of needing older retired medical staff back which puts them in danger. Increased chance in burning out currrent healthcare workers (of which there is a finite amount). Throw more bodies (trainees etc) at the problem when it probably gets much worse.

The sad thing is that most of what happens in option 2 will probably happen regardless of what steps we take , so instead we just wing it for the next 4 weeks and hope it doesn’t get bad here cause of our scorching summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Are we expecting a HSE update today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Ok I am not 100% of the timeline but the HSE did come out with this rubbish not too long ago.

"Not too long ago" =/= just over a week ago. Are you exempt from the 100% total accuracy and complete disclosure of information that you demand from the HSE?

Here's a press release from over a month ago with Dr Holohan saying a case is possible: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/1405dd-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-15-suspecte/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Graham wrote: »
    alternatively

Nice, but here's the source I got it from: https://dailyworld.in/covid-19-test-kits-airlifted-to-cruise-ship-off-california-coast/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I am worried about covid19.

I have a background in scientific research and I worked in vaccine development, so I have a fairly decent understanding of the immune system. I am basing my opinion on reading the scientific evidence about the virus (via published papers on pubmed etc).

I am not overly concerned about my health were I to catch it. I have asthma, and a long term tummy issue, but both are well controlled. I’m also relatively fit and otherwise physically healthy.

So who am I afraid for?

I am a teacher in a secondary school. Within the students that I teach, several are severely immunocompromised. I worry for them. I come in contact with anything up to 200 kids in my classroom alone, and that’s not including any additional interactions - after school study, homework club, lunchtime supervision, extra curricular activities... If I were to have it and not know, or if one of them were to have it and not know... the transmission could be huge.

I live with family for their health reasons. I have two elderly relatives who require support. One is more or less blind, and has heart issues. The other has dementia, kidney failure and diabetes. I also have another family member who is recovering from a heart attack a few months ago.

I am restricting my own activities because I am afraid of transmitting the virus to my family. I practice hand hygiene and cough into my elbow and do everything else I am supposed to, but I am afraid that is not enough. I am meant to be doing a charity cycle in April, however I am scared to do it because of the close contact with other cyclists and poor hygiene facilities (nowhere to catch it bin it kill it when cycling in a group of 100 cyclists at 25kph). I will not attend any mass gatherings as we are not equipped to deal with what is needed for sanitation. It’s not just the 1000’s of people at the parade - where will they pee? Where will provide adequate sanitation for them to use warm soapy water for 20 seconds to wash their hands, after using the toilet? If people do sneeze into a tissue, will the bins be empty enough to be used by people? Or will they overflow like at normal big events?

It might seem like I am being overly dramatic in my actions. But I cannot afford for my family to get sick, so I want to be proactive in trying to reduce my risk of catching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

First case in Bangladesh
    Several more tourists have returned from Indonesia testing positive despite Indonesia only having 6 cases..

Malaysia and Austria both now at 100 cases, they are the 18th and 19th countries to reach 100 cases

Germany with 139 more cases today and FRance now very close to 1000 cases

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement