Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    what metropolitan area? the cluster was in a small country village
    Wuhan is not the blueprint for every cluster in the world, each one has its specific dynamics

Already answered with a lot of details in multiple posts over the past 2 or 3 pages. Happy to take any questions on these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

The number of new cases are down in Iran which is a positive. Deaths up too.

Again though it's the weekend - Monday might be a better metric of progress.

I don't trust any data coming out of Iran. About 40 high profile deaths in Iran, but only a few times as many deaths. It's funny how all the famous people are dying. Unofficial figures as of last Tuesday for deaths there was 648.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I have to agree, and I'm someone who is 'higher risk'. It's starting to seem like the widespread panic is doing more damage than the virus itself. Some of the media reporting on this has been downright hysterical and irresponsible.

I've seen reports of people stocking up on toilet paper, so now everyone who watches that is going to think 'oh, I need to make sure I have enough toilet paper in case it all gets stockpiled!' and that's how you create a problem where there wasn't one.

It's a virus, like any virus. Good hygiene and handwashing is important, avoiding crowds is wise, and avoiding travel is wise. Everything else is pure media hysteria, completely pointless, and creating enormous panic and anxiety, making people even more susceptible to getting ill.

Well nothing inspires panic like herd behavior and when you throw social media and discussion forums into the mix you have like a perfect storm.
    Media are running riot with it and creating panic especially in Australia my mates from there and he’s been telling me it’s obscene the way they’re pumping it and creating hysteria. The US doesn’t seem to be despite their administrations woeful handling of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Why does the table show france below germany and the Diamond E. They now have 949 & more deaths.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i apologise for my comment earlier about some enjoying this.

It was unfair. I mistook interest for enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

joe40 wrote: »
    The name calling and inability to engage in civilised conversation comes from all sides. You are accused of not caring about older, vulnerable people if you accept in any government/HSE response so far.
    This is an emotive topic. I think by any rational measure this is extremely serious, and will result in death. I think that is inevitable.
    At the same time I don't accept the medical professionals in the HSE are heartless idiots. I believe they are following the best course of action as they see fit in accordance with many other countries.
    The policy may change, probably will, but for the time being I'm willing to go with official policy. That does not mean I don't care but nothing is gained from panic or anxiety. It may come to that but we're not there yet.

It isn't enough to just do this I'm afraid. We can look at Italy and go from there to take further steps than they did, implement the measures they are implementing now, when they're already suffering really badly, so that we can reduce that suffering that we are also heading towards facing. We should be taking a short term pain for long-term gain approach, but there just seems to be nobody strong leading us that's willing to take charge. Waiting until we're further along the curve, like Italy, to take it completely seriously is ridiculous, it's like we're waiting to see how things pan out when we can already see that clearly from the Italian stats and the basic common knowledge of the numbers of people returning, and visiting, from Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Acosta wrote: »
    Reading that people that think they might have it are unable to get themselves tested by anyone in the HSE is deeply troubling.

Exactly and also the fact that some of these people live with elderly parents etc.

It's nothing short of callous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

It seems air and rail travel is exempt from the Italian lockdown.

I really don’t know what to say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I see a lot of people in high infection areas wearing masks, while their long hair flows free. Surely if you got an infected person's cough/sneeze droplets on your hair, that's a really good way to carry the virus around for at least a few hours with a very decent chance of infecting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Thread 5, hello to all fellow travellers...

Reading in the guardian live-blog that Romania, with 13 confirmed cases, has banned all gatherings of 1,000 or more people. Sauce for paddy’s day goose and all that. https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/08/coronavirus-live-updates-third-death-in-australia-as-cases-reach-more-than-70?page=with%3Ablock-5e64cd8f8f08c2df6d2756e6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Reading that people that think they might have it are unable to get themselves tested by anyone in the HSE is deeply troubling.

Think they might.

The HSE probably rightly ruled they dont have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Reading where?

Also if it's just people who think they have it, I wouldn't be particularly concerned. OTOH if it's people whose GPs think they have it, I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The map that keeps getting posted is taken from here: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It’s a dashboard from Johns Hopkins University so best of luck viewing on a small screen.

It’s the same dashboard that appears in the background of all those cabinet “war room” pics so as authoritative as you get and may be worth putting in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

embraer170 wrote: »
    It seems air and rail travel is exempt from the Italian lockdown.

I really don’t know what to say.

When people hear “lockdown” they think Wuhan / China. Realistically if in Italy or France or even Ireland if we tried to enforce that on a mass scale, we wouldn’t have the infrastructure or frankly the political ability. In China every apartment block has party reps who keep an eye on things and of course a much more robust security service. You don’t have that local infrastructure in European democracies. And then what are you going to do, seal every road and shoot people trying to flee across fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭amber2

iguana wrote: »
    I see a lot of people in high infection areas wearing masks, while their long hair flows free. Surely if you got an infected person's cough/sneeze droplets on your hair, that's a really good way to carry the virus around for at least a few hours with a very decent chance of infecting yourself.

Didn’t the nurses in Wuhan have to shave their hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Bob24 wrote: »
    Can you explain why rather than just saying you believe it is incorrect without explaining?

If you remember where it started: https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-italy-spread-death-toll-tries-to-control-5-2020-2

“The two most infected regions are Lombardy and Veneto in the north of Italy, home to Milan and Venice.”

That is the exact area covered by my definition of what they should have locked down initially, and that information is nothing new - it has been publicly available for a few weeks.

you are talking about an area 3 times as big as Ireland with several cities most of which still have no cases

Would you lock down the entire Ireland when we hit 50 cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If you think you have it and cannot get tested then self isolate ya daft bastards. Dont go around spreading it because you couldnt get tested and blame the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What's on the radio right now, again in the name of reassuring us is quite disturbing.

We have 250 intensive care beds in our country. Around a quarter of what's normal in Europe.
    That's not 250 for the virus but everyone who has a heart attack, car crash etc and the virus.

We will potentially just not put people over 75 into intensive care and concentrate on treating "productive members of society" according to adr from CUH. That'll be a decision to let people die of this. 75 is not old. It's the age of lots of our relatively vital parents.

Why in earth when we are looking down the barrel of that scenario are we offering reassurance and not taking the most drastic measures to stop the spread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

MD1990 wrote: »
    i apologise for my comment earlier about some enjoying this.

It was unfair. I mistook interest for enjoyment.

Fair enough.

I am meant to be going away in less then a week also I have elderly relatives who and am really worried for.

Sticking with this thread to try and get a clearer picture of what is going on.

People saying be are all going to be grand does not make me feel better.

I do not trust the media the HSE or the WHO nor do I believe we are all doomed but I also believe we do not have a good overall picture of this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My friend I mentioned in one of these friends has just made the difficult decision to cancel her honeymoon in Japan. She was meant to go 2 weeks from now. While they don't seem to have that many cases there relative to some European countries, it feels like too much of a risk to travel so far at a time when things are changing so fast. She reckons she'll probably catch it in London anyway but better that than being stuck in a foreign country where they're in denial about how bad the situation is, either sick or unable to get home.

British Airways have refused to refund any money and are saying flights are still going as normal, so they're out thousands of pounds for flights, as well as losing their annual leave and having their honeymoon ruined.

I'm so gutted for her...she's had a really hard year with serious illness and this was a huge treat, and now she's going to spend her honeymoon sitting at home in London for 2 weeks, not even able to properly enjoy it because of coronavirus.

I think she should have gone, if she's in the age group where there's an 85% chance of being symptomless or mild. So long as she had travel insurance she would be fine. I'd rather end up in a Japanese hospital than one run by the HSE, as Japan's health system has the best outcomes of any country. I would bet that by the time her flights would leave, this country would be a more dangerous place to be, with regards catching it, than travelling to Japan would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

niallo27 wrote: »
    If you think you have it and cannot get tested then self isolate ya daft bastards. Dont go around spreading it because you couldnt get tested and blame the HSE.

Amen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Achasanai wrote: »
    People mistake interest for enjoyment. You can see the same comments when a storm is coming on the weather threads and people are posting about it there.

Ah no. The weather folk openly admit they love and enjoy storms and get angry when the weather does not live up to their hopes.

Hopefully not the same here at al in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    you are talking about an area 3 times as big as Ireland with several cities most of which still have no cases

Would you lock down the entire Ireland when we hit 50 cases?

They passed 50 cases a while ago. And part of my criticism has always been that that they failed to detect the outbreak early enough. When they counted 50 they probably had a lot more.

So if size/population is your criteria, China should not have locked down Hubei province which is even more populated?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sweet mother of god! I bought a few immune booster supplements yesterday and just tried the bee propolis liquid now. :eek::( I think I'd prefer the virus! It's mank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Exactly and also the fact that some of these people live with elderly parents etc.

It's nothing short of callous.

Another great part about having a disastrous housing crisis. It's honestly too much of a perfect concoction of **** ups as a nation leading us into this mess

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure how effective the Italian lock down will be?

When areas in China went into lock down, that meant people being forced to stay in their own house/apartment for the lock down period.

In Italy, as far as I am aware, people are free to move around and interact within the lock down area (but just not allowed in or out of the lock down area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

irishgeo wrote: »
    Think they might.

The HSE probably rightly ruled they dont have it.
    The criteria for testing currently is those who have flown back from affected regions and are showing symptoms and those who have come in contact with a confirmed case and are showing symptoms.

An intellectually disabled woman I work with who has a minimum of six different carers in for her during the week and she was showing symptoms last Tuesday. I couldn't procure her a test for love nor money. She doesn't have the capacity to look after herself or ask those carers questions, she doesn't understand anything about the virus. I'm going to be working with her again this Tuesday so it will be interesting to see if her symptoms have deteriorated or if anyone has contacted her regarding possible contact. If I weren't aware of how transmissible it is (many of her carers aren't) and she contracted it off one of her nursing staff (also works in CUH) I could catch it easily and nothing is being done to protect me or those I'm close to. Also she's being left totally by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

GetWithIt wrote: »
    The map that keeps getting posted is taken from here: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It’s a dashboard from Johns Hopkins University so best of luck viewing on a small screen.

Mobile link for that dashboard here: https://arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61
    Swipe left and right for the additional data.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's on the radio right now, again in the name of reassuring us is quite disturbing.

We have 250 intensive care beds in our country. Around a quarter of what's normal in Europe.
    That's not 250 for the virus but everyone who has a heart attack, car crash etc and the virus.

We will potentially just not put people over 75 into intensive care and concentrate on treating "productive members of society" according to adr from CUH. That'll be a decision to let people die of this. 75 is not old. It's the age of lots of our relatively vital parents.

Why in earth when we are looking down the barrel of that scenario are we offering reassurance and not taking the most static measures to stop the spread?

Any ward can be turned into an icu ward. It's nothing special. Its extra equipment and 24/7 nursing staff on duty. Stop **** stirring. Most people aren't going to need a icu bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

niallo27 wrote: »

Good point but who will pay my mortgage if I don't go to work. The government needs to do something and subsidise employers to help pay workers who would self isolate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement