Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options
1252253254255256258»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If anything, I've seen the opposite occurring, India are becoming more expensive in comparison to Europe, main issue these days is visa availability so it's strategic to have centers in India/China but knowing there will be a high turnover of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,923 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Indeed. The tech forums I'm on with jobs/employment channels? 95% of job postings are blended or remote. Has it right in the subject line, usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭baldbear

I am working with a US company & have been working 1 day a week in the office the last 18 months.

Looks like we are been pushed to 3 days a week back in the office. News will be hitting us in the next week I'm guessing. Employees in the US been threatened that their performance reviews will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We've been 3&2 since the end of the pandemic. No talk of changing so far. I work for a large US Investment bank.

Id be happier with 2&3 but overall I see some benefits of office time.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

There doesn't have to be any logic. It's a power and control thing. If the company want you back, you have two choices.... They don't have to justify their decision.

It may be good, it may be bad but either way, it's the companies call.

Interesting that the 'alpha' tech employers - Google, Meta, Apple - want people back and are in a position to enforce it. Other companies look at these boys and thing 'If Apple, etc. think it's a good idea.....'

Smaller companies (or more enlightened ones) may have to take a different view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭baldbear

For US employees I've heard about "real estate strategy for us office space." And a new performance goal brought in around the whole office work.

No reason given to us locally only we are expected in office 3 days a week.

All stick approach now. If we don't like it tough is what I'm thinking.

We can ask questions,give feedback but at the end of the day it is meaningless. The top brass have decided 2024 is the year we are forced back .

The smaller companies invested in less infrastructure so wfh suits them just fine. The Big Tech have Big Buildibfs that they want filled with people to justify the lights being on. Buildings tend to deteriorate if not kept “living”, that would be part of their logic, also there’s more complicated hierarchies and they like to keep more of a controlling eye on people working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

My partner is a contractor, was fully WFH. The company (American) decided two days in the office was now mandatory. Their boss was a little "wait, what?" when they left the office at 5:30 yesterday. "I've a 90 minute commute still to do," shrugged and left. Didn't care it was month end. Previous months, they'd have been working until 8 or 8:30 for a few days around month end. Wish I'd been there to see it.

(I know that wouldn't work for everyone, but they're in the lucky position of not wanting to renew the contract.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

If a company can't give a logical explanation as to why they need people back in the office, then "engineered attrition" would be my guess:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Craggy Jon

I am a Civil Servant, living on the outskirts of Trim & working in a large City Centre office. My nearest bus/train link to Dublin is a 25 minute drive. Monday, Wednesday & Thursday working from home. Last Tuesday, I left home at 06.45. I arrived in my office at 10.08. Snarl-ups on M50 caused chaos on all entry routes to City Centre. I arrived into my office, hungry, dying for a pee & totally stressed out. I needed coffee. I spent my first half hour in the canteen, moaning to whoever woukd listen to me, about my commute. Switched on my computer abour 10.50 & got started on my day. Then I met colleagues for lunch- that took about an hour - and back to work till 18.30, when it too me another hour & 45 minutes to get home, exhausted; drained and deflated

Compare with Wednesday. Set alarm clock for 08.50. Logged in and working from home at 09.00. No distractions. No canteen breaks. No long gossipy lunches, no hideous traffic either coming from or going to work. Worked solidly till 13.00, half hour lunch (when I attended to some domestic chores) & knocked off at 17.30.

it goes without saying that ALL of my work is doable remotely. Why in the name of all that’s holy can’t my line managers see they are getting SO much more bang for their buck by allowing me to work from home?

For the record - Dublin traffic on Fridays is manageable. I quite like going into the office on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I know a large tech company with an office in Galway that came to the end of their long term lease last summer. They decided not to renew the lease and agreed with the employees to go 100% WFH. They had to update the contracts and they did offer to pay for serviced desks in those hubs if employees wanted. Saved the company a fortune. Everyone happy.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redneck Avenger

Back to the office now 3 days a week and it's grand.

Advertisement