Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think for established professional focused workers it can be and is- with plenty of meeting collaboration. Just for more inexperienced employees I don’t think it works well. Though it depends on the job- for more mundane routine type work less of an issue

Those upper floor offices ideally need to be converted to apartments and sold, keeping lower floors for company HQs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Article states 90% of companies want a RTO but you think it's because they want disguise lay offs?

It's nonsense. if 90% of companies's end goal is RTO there;s not much point leaving one to go to another and hope they don't change RTO policy

This article proves nothing. Again there's a lot of BS gets written about WFH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

People with a sense of entitlement focussed on their own success over the businesses success may the ones demanding full WFH.

People should exactly focus on their over success over a business.

My loyalty to the business is the same as theirs is to me, in other words if the company fell on hard times I would be cut right there, so I will naturally look out for my own interests. That isn't me saying I do not care about the company, but I put my own needs first, always. As should everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I employ a lot of people, but I doubt any of them are more focused on the success of my businesses than on their own selves. I wouldn’t expect them to be! In fact, they’d be mad if they were more focused on a company they don’t own than on themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I can’t speak for other companies but where I work the WFH policy is more or less based on how important to the business you are and how much clout you have.

We have plenty of staff who are more or less told they have to be in 5 days a week and at the same time have a number of fully remote or hybrid staff who’s skills are in demand and either only accepted the job if it’s remote/hybrid or already worked here before covid but top management don’t want to risk annoying so are allowed work remotely/hybrid (I’d fit in this bracket - generally I do a hybrid as there is some aspects of my job that do require attendance).

We would be quite stuck for the higher skilled roles without allowing this also I must add, being in the South East it has allowed us to hire in the dublin pool of talent even if they don’t want to leave Dublin.

Personally I don’t agree with the policy as I think everyone should have at least some hybrid option but I am left alone to do what I want so won’t be making any noises about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Where in my OP did I say it was a tactic from all companies that have been pushing RTO?

But you'd want to be very naive to think some companies aren't doing it.

I've seen it myself, especially in the tech sector. For 3 years it was "remote working is the future lads" and then in recent times this mad push to get people back in the office (usually for very nebulous reasons like "improved collaboration"). People who relocated that can't return to the office resign and move on. Then a few months later, company announces redundancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Except that actual research bares out the fact that blended working increases productivity?

And, well: https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2022/0203/1272759-working-from-home-toxic-workplace-slackers-bullies-self-promoters/

Thankfully, promotion of blended working is now government policy, anyway, so it doesn't really matter what the kow-towers think. And the reality, even if Cyrus doesn't want to admit it, is it's damned hard to recruit good people for "office" work where blended working isn't an option.

What "mental gymnastics", exactly, are in my post?

Most people want remote or blended working. Better staff are more employable. Anywhere. Mediocre staff are less employable and will find it harder to move.

If some better staff aren't fussed about commuting into the office, then they won't move. And? Good for them - it's all about choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You do not employ a lot of people! No way Jose

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

blended working is one thing, in my experience lots of the people who ardently want full remote working have some character traits that make them less indispensable than they think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Return to office mandates don't work, study suggests:

While some executives say employees are unproductive and ineffective at home, a study from the University of Pittsburgh suggests it is return-to-office mandates that don’t work. An analysis of S&P 500 firms that implemented in-office attendance requirements found that the mandates did not boost financial performance or value, which remained on par with that of companies allowing virtual work. However, researchers did observe “significant declines in employees’ job satisfaction” — perhaps explaining why 80% of employers who forced a return to offices later expressed regret over the decision.

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/rto-mandates-dont-work-study-6571002/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Yep, nothing increases productivity like putting a bee in each of your employees bonnet.

Hey, remember, it's team-building and good communication for us all to be forced into the office. Nothing like those water cooler conversations. "Traffic was murder today." "It's been terrible since the schools were back." "Pain in the f'n arse, I'm losing 15 hours a week stuck in traffic. Why are they bringing us back anyway." "You know what Bee is like, if she can't see you, she doesn't trust you're working..." "But I get more done at home, anyway - I don't have Cee just hanging around my desk for a chat." "Try telling that to the CFO who signed off on a new office lease right at the start of Covid. Gotta justify that expense somehow..." "Would he not be better off worrying about the delays to the project?" "Sure what can he do, Dee and Eff are gone, I was on glassdoor myself yesterday, a few CVs gone in..."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Thinking employers want people back in because of office leases is laughable at best

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Please tell us the real reason then, oh wise one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

For some of us working remotely is the only viable option. I live in the north west and left a major employer (with a no rehire policy) during Covid for a contract job based 3.5+ hrs drive away.

Big push with the client to RTO and redution on contractors, was told at end of 2nd contract that I could change to full time but would be required to comply with any ‘blended work’ changes. Realistically this wasn’t an option with mortgage, wife (her own stable career) , kids etc.

Really struggling to find anything, I had a good record with previous employer (and the previous company they acquired TUPE’d) . Applied for roles with them where I’m hitting 90% of the requirements but I’m not even getting short listed.

I am getting interest with recruiters for in office/ Hybrid roles but the logistics of these would not be viable.

Seems like there is huge competition for WFH focused/ fully remote roles. I am getting interviews but just not nailing them.

Sad thing is that if I could get something local or commutable that I’d be happy to go into an onsite / in office focused role.

It would be very frustrating to be paying a lease on a building you don't need. It would drive me simple to be honest. I can understand a drive to fill buildings, even if it doesn't entirely make sense!

The other side is if you are coming to the end of your lease, as I was a few years ago, it's a huge saving if you can go fully remote.

Irish Times commercial property supplement advertorials would certainly paint a particular picture... even if the actual editorial staff and management board of the Irish Times are all delighted to have blended working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure how this is remotely relevant to the claim that the main reason businesses want RTO is because of sunk cost leases. It's conspiratorial nonsense, the answer is more straightforward - they think the business works better in the office. Workers may disagree but that doesn't mean either party are wrong or right.

We are RTO for 3 days a week starting in May.

Currently attending 1 day a week but in Feb will go into the office 2 days .

It is what it is.

Except that independent research repeatedly finds that productivity increases when blended/remote working is available, over office only.

Companies want the offices filled with their employees.

Productivity Surveys are useless.

WFH is coming to an end this year for most.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not for me, it's written in my contract and I'd imagine a lot of people who have changed jobs since 2021-ish are in the same boat as me.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Alot of people hired during the pandemic seem to be the targets of restructuring.

That's based on company layoffs in the news highlighting over hiring during the pandemic. Buts that's another story.

Many people who never worked in the office even before the pandemic have been instructed to attend the office goring forward.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm not doubting you, I'm just in a lucky position that it is written into my contract that I work full-time from home. I have to, I am in Sligo, the company are based in an office in Dublin city centre. I am the only full-time remote employee.

Some of the reaction would remind you of the discussion around residential property back in 2007. A drop of nearly 16% in one year is a collapse. And that's a time when employment is very strong.

I am doubting him :-)

Who wasn't working in the office pre-pandemic? Precious few. Absolutely, some companies are looking for more office attendance. Even where independent academic research - not 'productivity surveys' - shows it's counter-productive.

There is a round of job layoffs in certain sectors that has everything to do with cutting costs and maximising profits, and nothing to do with the presence of absence of blended/remote working. A prime example would be Microsoft - laying off nearly 2,000 employees in Blizzard Activision despite profits of $5.3 billion in 2022.

The reality is companies and organisations that are actively hiring are finding it really hard to do so where there is no remote or blended working possible. And yes, that means "down the line" availability. It's perfectly normal to expect new hires to spend more time in the office assuming colleagues are there too until they're up to speed.

• Advertisement

Multinationals are not finding it difficult to hire. They are moving roles to lower cost locations. Eg: India.

There will be massive restructuring this year and next in EMEA and the US to cut headcount costs.

They won't be reducing headcount, just moving them.

Also Companies will use the RTO as a way to get people to leave so not to have fo pay redundancy.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement