Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,898 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Also seen a lot of paper process replaced in the last two years. Also many systems that didn't have remote access have been given remote access through remote desktops, portals, gateways etc. Phone systems replaced with Voip systems. Systems moved to cloud based versions.

If nothing else a lot of technical barriers have been removed.

Only fly in that is the HSE security breach. Which I think caused them to do the opposite and shut down a lot of remote access. But they were forced to invest in their infrastructure and security. So even they will have added lots of new capability to their systems very quickly after years of stagnation.

They aren't trying to save money with outsourcing. They are trying to attract top talent with world class facilities. Then milk every last drop of value out of them by giving them no reason to leave the office. I've been there in my youth with one of these as a contractor.

Look at the age profiles of these companies.

We've had problems pre COVID with trying to recruit people without wfh. Only worse now even with partial wfh in place. We go through a recruitment campaigns only for the successful candidate to ghost us.

I was talking to someone in a startup and they are giving techies top notch equipment to work from home. We can't compete with that.

One thing a lot of the wfh naysayers seem to forget is remote working removes capacity constraints from companies too. I've seen it in my own place where they spent millions getting a building, kitting it out and setting it up for office staff with a capacity of around 100-150, can't recall the exact number. They had it filled before it was even open which meant they were at capacity straight away and constrained again.

Now the exact same space is used by a handful of 100% onsite and the rest are hot desks with approx 350 people assigned to the space so about 300% ish in terms of capacity gain. Since adopting this there has never been a day when its been anywhere near 50% full so I can see them assigning close to 500 to the space as time goes by.

Without adopting wfh in a big way they would not have had space for those extra people without massive additional investment and significant delay in sourcing location, contractors, materials, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes, that is all true - at least now it is very much feasible from a technical standpoint for organisations that may not have been set up for it in the past. A lot of the "old" processes and procedures have been streamlined as well.

That said, it really is about the leadership in the organisation and whether they are open to putting in place the policies and support structures around it to and then to allow their staff be adults. If you CAN do you job remotely you SHOULD at least be allowed to do so if you wish. Organisations that don't go down this path may stuggle to attract and retain people.

There are far more benefits that negatives to WFH in a world where Covid restrictions on our regular lives are not in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Forget precovid, it’s gone, the world is a different place now, particularly the workplace. Only the naive would think that employers will continue to look only in domestic markets for wfh employees. It literally makes no difference where in the world you are as long as you have access to broadband and set up tax-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I love all the "just trust the employees that the work will get done".

I'm in a situation now where a colleague isn't getting the work done. Constantly say it will be, but then doesn't deliver, or does a half-arsed job. With WFH it's a lot harder for the manager to diagnose the real issue and so know what to fix And as a colleague, I'm getting mighty sick of picking up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The manager is crap then. Most managers these days will have remote reports. Before Covid my reports were in 4 different countries. I could "diagnose" poor productivity with ease. Seriously you are stretching so badly now that it must be sore.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I understand your point but that's really a management and process failing rather than a work location failing. WFH does need some process change to shift how output is measured. If the manager is not able to accurately measure how much is actually being achieved by their reports without physically being in the same place as them and, presumably, watching them actually work, then it's a process problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In fairness Mrs OBumble, you will literally only see the negative in WFH - you've been that way since day one.

There are far too many people with that same mindset making decisions in the organisation I am in right now and it will lead to a far worse organisation in the medium to long term if they don't see the benefits of changing their mindsets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Just as bad as the employee who does get the week's work done on the Monday and spends the rest of the week dossing at home. At least in the office, it's more noticeable they are slack or the employees will take up something else out of sheer boredom.

That motivation is gone if they safely tucked away at home.

Especially more technical work. The manager or business may not know how long a task should or should not take.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

But what does that matter? They've got a weeks worth of work done, they get paid a weeks salary. How is that a negative?

You still have the same output but a happier employee. win win, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This theory has been around since year 2000. Why dont companies setup over in India instead of here.

Funnily enough the best Indian software engineers comes to Ireland as there is much more to learn and the culture is not cut throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

With all your experience working in pretty much every company and role going

You're really bad at picking companies to work for.

the employee who does get the week's work done on the Monday and spends the rest of the week dossing

Poor resource management and task planning is not the fault of the employee.

If there's no work to do, there's no work to do. That's not a wfh issue, like so many supposed issies, it comes down to poor management.

This "omg I can't see when they are not working" is just silly. You set tasks according to the schedule of need, they get done, there is no issue. By analysing the work content you understand the capacity required and can increase or decrease the amount of work assigned to ensure tasks are completed according to schedule.

Or, ya know, have everyone pretend to be busy when they are not.

It's of no surprise that you work somewhere with poor resource management capabilities. It's evident from all the issues you seem to be having. Honestly, I don't know how you manage, I'd have quit ages ago

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's just another example of poor management and nothing to do with WFH or otherwise..

Needing staff in the office to "watch" them is a crutch for poor management.

If a manager doesn't understand the workload and outputs , they are a crap manager , WFH isn't a factor.

Again, it is naive to think that conditions today are the same as those in 2000, or even those in 2019. Indian engineers will not come to Ireland if there is no accommodation, besides, there is no need to if everyone is working remotely. If their team/manager now works from a room in their home, why on Earth do they need to come to Ireland?

There are lots of reasons why companies have set up here, chief among them our low corporation tax and what used to be the expertise of our office based domestic workforce. Now that workforce no longer needs to be office based, nor domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The manager is totally able to measure the situation and aware of it.

They talk to the employee, who has a (flimsy) reason and says the work will be done tomorrow. Its not. Or it is, and something else isn't. Rinse and repeat.

So the manager has to figure out what's really causing the problem and how to fix it. That's the bit that a lot harder with limited casual interactions and work behavior observation.

Ah stop. You are stuck in the dark ages. Companies no longer have the capacity, setup or work culture for managers to be micro-managing and observing employees as they work. If that's your best employee motivation/performance technique, you have bigger problems. If you have a non-performer or poor quality output, the manager needs to ask them straight out what the issue is and come up with some remediation actions - it was the exact same in 2019. There is zero justification here for work-from-office. You are just making up stories. In my previous employment I had reports in 4 different countries. I never met 70% of them face-to-face but I believe I had a good working relationship with all of them and we got the work done. My manager was in the US and I never met her either - she was superb at her job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

A manager can figure out the problem by hopping on a zoom call and having a chat.

A struggling employee would more than likely be more open on zoom than face to face.

What do you mean by work behaviour observation, are you saying a manager looking at an employee at a desk will tell them what the problem is.

No talking to them will tell them what the problem is.

Everything you have said above points to a bad manager out of depth failing to help a struggling employee.

That manager might need a bit of help from his manager.

Talking to Estate agents, often its the well paid Tech and Finance workers who can afford the accommodation and even the companies subsidizing/paying for it.

Sounds like they don't have metrics or KPI's either in or out of the office.

What's more they never did and aren't aware of how to do this.

Its kind of a look at me I don't know what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Remote work definitely opens up new possibilities for sure. I've recruited two people from Enniskillen for jobs that they'd have had to commute to Belfast for a couple of years ago. It's great for them and great for us, we can fill jobs more easily and they have a job that they'd have had to move for one time.

It seems to be a recurring theme, any discussion or view point about wfh, you have the answer. It’s great to know that tech workers can find accommodation that no one else seems to be able to. Why do they need to come to Ireland though if companies are transitioning to wfh, couldn’t they stay in their home country and wfh?

They aren't my answers. That's just what's happening.

In some cases you have to stay with EU for data protection laws, access to EU markets, or some Govt want it done in country. Wasn't trump trying to drive tech back into the US. Lots of reasons.

Not that WFH works for everyone. Only some people. So it has its limits obviously.

I know people who's job went 100% WFH and they quit to find a Job thats not WFH. To each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

WFH doesn't mean "Work from multiple time-zones and thousands of miles away" , that's an entirely different thing.

More people WFH is not in anyway a portent of Jobs getting off-shored - They are not related at all.

I've been fully remote for well over a decade and the expectation for me is that I am "available to come to the office as required".

That doesn't mean "Get here in 30 minutes" , but more of "can you come in next Tuesday for a F2F?" or whatever.

Now , I've never actually been asked specifically to come to the office in all that time , I choose to come in as I feel appropriate, which Pre-Covid might have been about 10-15 days a year. A few single days here and there along with a couple blocks of days for things like workshops or training and the like.

Advertisement